• Published 25th Nov 2011
  • 16,992 Views, 271 Comments

Forbidden Fruit - Vargras



After catching wind of a mystical tree of life, Applejack sets off in search of it.

  • ...
22
 271
 16,992

He Who Watches

Camp had been set up for the night, and Twilight Sparkle was busy taking notes about her wings. They were certainly peculiar - they completely lacked any real nerves, tendons, or muscles, and yet they felt... alive. She could feel every little twitch and touch, and though such a sensation normally would have drove her crazy, the spell itself would only last for three days before dissipating. As much as she had enjoyed being able to truly fly, the unicorn was somewhat looking forward to just going back to her old self.

"Hey Twi?" The earth pony glanced over at her companion, who had set her quill down in order to look back. "Soup's ready, if yer hungry."

"Oh, great!" She smiled as her horn glowed, bringing a bowl of soup over to her. "Thanks, AJ."

"Any time, sugarcube." Applejack took a seat as well, taking a brief sip before looking back over at the lavender mare. "When we get back ta Ponyville, if ya still got those wings, you oughta go show 'em ta Rainbow Dash. I wanna see the look on her face when she sees ya with feathers."

Twilight found herself giggling in the midst of eating her soup and almost spewed it out. She hastily swallowed it before letting her laughter slip out, wiping her mouth as she set the spoon down. "That would be pretty funny, wouldn't it? The spell only lasts three days, though - I doubt we'll be back in time for it. Still, maybe another time, right?"

"Right." The earth pony took another sip and set down her spoon with a sigh. "I miss 'em, ya know. All th' other girls, mah family, Ponyville... I'm ready for us ta finish this thing up."

"I know, Applejack. I miss them too. But we've come this far - we can't fail now. Besides, we have to be getting close."

"How close do ya think we are, Twi?"

Closer than you realize.

It was a booming voice, and it made their ears ring as they dove for the ground and covered their heads - the voice had not come from around them, but from within. Frantic, they both glanced about as they tried to figure out what was going on. "You heard that too, right Twilight? I ain't goin' crazy or nothin'?"

"No, I heard it too. I don't know what might be causing it, though."

Allow me to answer that. There was a tremendous thunderclap from above, and a being composed of a golden-yellow light slowly descended until it barely floated above the earth. Neither Twilight Sparkle nor Applejack knew what to make of this new character, and cautiously backed away from it. You need not be afraid, little ones. The figure lacked a visible mouth, instead having just two blazing white eyes - or they appeared to be eyes, anyways. It wasn't actually speaking, but was instead speaking inside their own heads.

Applejack carefully stepped forward to address it, whatever 'it' may be. "Are ya... are ya here ta hurt us? An' what are ya, exactly?"

I will only cause you harm if your actions deem it necessary, Child of Earth. The voice was no longer exceptionally loud, but had instead become a soft and deep rumbling of sorts. It was almost melodic, something that came as a relief to both of the mares. I have no name - I am simply the spirit and guardian of this place. If you must, you may refer to me as 'He Who Watches'. I'm simply here because you have both proven yourselves worthy thus far.

"Worthy? Worthy of what? An' why did ya call me a Child of Earth?" Applejack still wasn't sure what the intentions of this figure were, but she wished to know more.

I refer to you as 'Child of Earth' because that is what you are, just as your friend here is a Child of Magic. And for passing the three trials, you have been deemed worthy of the Tree... for now, at least.

Twilight stepped forth this time with questions of her own. "What do you mean 'for now'? Is there another part of this we don't know about?"

The golden figured turned to look at her and seemingly nodded. There is one final component before you may obtain that which you seek. I must judge you myself, to see if you are worthy of such a gift of power. The fruit you seek is imbued with extraordinarily powerful magic. Throughout the centuries, many have tried to take it for themselves out of greed. The trials themselves are often enough to keep most away, but those few that pass must be judged. None have succeeded. I have been watching you since you entered, you know.

Applejack huffed and turned to look at Twilight. "See, I told ya I had a funny feelin', an' you said I was jus' bein' superstitious!"

"Sorry, AJ." The unicorn's ears briefly flattened, and she looked back up at the figure that floated before them. "So um... how exactly does this judging thing work?"

Simple. Let me into your soul and I will see all that is necessary.

Twilight Sparkle began to back up once more. "W-what?! You want us to let you into our... our souls?!"

"How are we 'spose ta know ya won' mess us up or nothin'?" The earth pony stepped in to defend her friend, giving the spectral being a scrutinizing eye.

I am bound here by her will, and indeed she was the one who saved me millenia ago. Her actions have ensured that I am incapable of harming another, unless justified. You will not be harmed.

"Her?" The unicorn stepped forward again, feeling a bit more comfortable this time. "Who are you talking about?"

Should you both survive your judgements, I will tell you all you wish to know about myself and this place. But for now, you must trust me.

Applejack placed a hoof on her friend's shoulder. "I don' know about this, Twi... it's makin' me awful nervous."

Your concern is noteworthy and understandable, Child of Earth. But if you wish to obtain that which you seek, you both must trust me.

Twilight Sparkle smiled and reached over to give the orange mare a brief hug. "It'll be okay, AJ. Don't worry about it." She broke away from her friend and stepped forth, gazing up at the being. "Whenever you're ready, uh... He Who Watches, I guess you can judge me first. This won't... hurt or anything, right?"

It will not, Child of Magic. Simply relax, and be prepared for anything.

The unicorn nodded, and there was a deafening rushing sound as the spirit charged forth into her.

Her world went dark.

-----

When she awoke, she groggily got to her hooves and looked around. The area she was in was pure white in every direction and as far as the eye could see. Before her sat the golden figure. It eyed her carefully.

I apologize, Child of Magic. The transition can be a bit rough for some.

Twilight shook her head and stared back up at the being. "That's alright, I'm just a bit... wobbly, is all. It'll sort out." She glanced about once more before returning her gaze to the figure. "Where are we anyways?"

This... is you. This is your inner-sanctum, young one. Your soul.

"...has it always been here?"

Yes. It has simply been inaccessible to you. You are only here because I brought you here.

"So where's Applejack?" She nervously looked up at the spirit, and it soon returned her gaze.

Your companion patiently sits at your side in the real world. Her judgement will come soon enough, and when it does, you will not be there for her either. Surely you understand.

The lavender mare nodded slowly and took a seat, waiting in silence as the golden specter curiously eyed her. It flew in circles around her, scrutinizing her and searching for... something. She began to feel just the slightest bit nervous when it resumed its sitting position. I have seen all that I need to see, young one. There is no need to be nervous.

Cautiously, Twilight Sparkle spoke up at He Who Watches. "So um... what was it that you saw or needed to see?"

Mortals are such a curious, yet fascinating bunch - you live tragically short lives, and yet within that time, you are capable of feats greater than anyone could know. Even now, I sense within you a power that I have not felt in a very long time. I am sure you know what I am referring to... Element of Magic.

She stared blankly at the figure. "I... yes. That's... correct, I suppose."

It laughed softly, sounding more akin to wind chimes than any true laughter. There is something else I sense within you, nearly impossible to miss. Within you burns a great wildfire - such raw potential has not been seen in millenia. And yet... you keep it chained. You have access to a power that many have longed for, lived for, and died for... and yet you restrain yourself. Why?

The unicorn knew it was referring to her magic potential. Celestia herself had deemed her as having extraordinary magical capabilities, and she had been but a filly when she was told about it. The spirit raised a good point - why did she keep it chained up? She knew she was far more powerful than most other unicorns, perhaps even the most powerful being in all of Equestria, save for the Princesses themselves... and yet she never used it.

I sense... unease within you, Element of Magic. You are unsure of how to answer my question.

"Well... yes. I mean, you did raise a good point. I've never thought about it until now." She frowned and her ears flattened briefly. "My very first magic lesson taught that control was the most important aspect of all magic - even if one were incredibly powerful, without proper control, it's meaningless."

And so you keep yourself shackled in order to maintain control.

She nodded once more. "It's nothing, really. I know I have a gift, but it's nothing really special or anything."

You are surprisingly modest, especially given your past accomplishments. Tell me - why do you travel with the Child of Earth? I have looked deep within you and seen that you do not wish to take the fruit for yourself. So why have you come?

This was more familiar ground for the mare, and her confidence was evident in her voice. "Because Applejack is one of my friends - one of my closest friends, even. I know she would go to the ends of the earth and back for me or any other pony, and I owe it to her to do the same. She can be a bit stubborn at times, but I sorta balance that out. She's still an incredibly hard-working and determined pony, though."

The bond between you two is strong - even as close friends, it appears nigh-unbreakable. It did not appear to be that way before your journey began.

"Well, Applejack did save my life. I almost drowned and she stopped at nothing until she brought me back. That definitely brought us closer."

There is more you are not telling me, child. Something else has brought you to where you are today.

"Oh! We did... kinda share a sleeping bag, I guess? And Applejack told me one of her secrets."

Not just any secret, young one. It was a great wound upon her soul that plagued her for many years, and in finally opening herself up to you, you brought her peace. You would give your life for her or any of your other friends, would you not?

Slowly, she nodded and stood up once more, staring straight at the gently glowing spirit. "I... hadn't really considered that, but... I wouldn't be where I am today without Applejack. Or Fluttershy. Or Rainbow Dash, Rarity, or Pinkie Pie. My life has changed for the better because of all of them, and... yes, if I had to, I would give my life for them all."

Though it was unseen, the figure smiled, and it brought a strange warmth to the lavender mare. Slowly, it stood from its sitting position and eyed her again - not out of scrutiny, but out of respect. You have passed admirably, Element of Magic. You have proven yourself to be more than worthy of visiting the Tree, and you have proven to me that your heart and cause are true. Well done.

Before she could thank it, Twilight felt the space around her begin to warp, sending her hurtling back to the real world. She bolted awake with a gasp, and Applejack was quick to give her a hug. "Twi, yer okay! How'd it go? Did ya pass?"

The golden figure materialized before them once more and nodded. Your friend passed quite easily, Child of Earth. She has proven herself to me, but now, you must do the same. Are you ready?

Applejack nervously glanced over at Twilight, and the unicorn gave her a hug of her own. "You'll be fine, AJ. I'll wait right here for you, okay?"

"Alright, sugarcube... Let's get this over with, He Who Watches. I ain't got nothin' ta hide."

The earth pony fell over as the spirit slipped into her, and Twilight Sparkle was quick to pick her back up and lean her unconscious form against herself, draping a wing over her.

All she could do now was sit and wait.

-----

You seem to have handled the transition better than your companion.

Applejack staggered about as she slowly got her bearings - wherever she was, it was big. Possibly limitless. Like with Twilight's judgment, the entire area was a sterile white, and the earth pony found it slightly unsettling. "Where's Twi?"

The figure chuckled and drifted over to float beside her. Your friend asked the very same question. Rest assured, she is waiting beside you. Should you pass this judgment, you will return to her. Are you ready to begin?

She nodded, and the specter slowly traveled around her, eying her. The orange mare fidgeted throughout the entire process, simply wanting it to stop staring at her. Satisfied, it drifted to a spot in front of her and took a seat in the air. Be still, Child of Earth. I understand your unease, but I am not here to harm you.

"I know, it's jus'... it's not every day that ya got a spirit of some sort flyin' around in yer soul."

A fair point. At the very least, it is good to see the Element of Honesty live up to her title. Your friend, the Child of Magic, has already told me much about your journey - I still need to hear things from your point of view, however. You seem to carry a very strong sense of determination. When your companion lay dying, you never gave up attempts to revive her. Why?

Applejack simply blinked at the being before replying. "Well... Twi means an awful lot ta me. She's probably th' closest thing I have to a best friend, an' I was one of th' first ponies she met when she firs' came ta Ponyville. Heck, if it weren' for her, I don' think I'd be friends with the other girls."

There is something more, child. Another factor was at play, aside from your determination. You were afraid of something. What was it?

"I... do I really need ta talk about that?"

I see and know everything about you, young one. I am simply giving you the opportunity to present that information on your own terms.

She sighed and pawed at the ground with a hoof. "Aw shoot... alright, I was... I was afraid of bein' alone. It's somethin' I've been scared of ever since I was a filly. I owe her a lot, after everythin' she's done fer me. An'... I jus' didn' wanna be alone. I know that sounds awful selfish of me."

The golden figured waved a limb dismissively. All beings have their desires and fears, Element of Honesty. You are simply one of the rare few willing to admit it and confront it. Selfishness does not factor into it, for in the end, your goal was noble. There is one thing I am quite curious about - though you are the Element of Honesty, you hid something from all of your friends for a very long time. What did you hope to gain?

Applejack huffed and took a seat on the ground. "I guess I kinda figured that... if I didn' talk about it or nothin', it wouldn' hurt as much. Maybe it would jus' go away. 'cept... it didn'. It got worse instead. I'd see Rarity or Twilight or Pinkie with their parents, an'... it hurt. I'd get mad. Frustrated. Jealous."

Because they had something you could not and would never have.

She nodded slowly in silence.

And yet you admitted it to the Element of Magic. After all those years of keep it secret, you admitted it to her. Why?

"Why?" She blinked and lowered her head a bit as she thought back to that night. It was awkward at first, sure, but it eventually became warm and comforting. It was something she had wanted and sorely missed ever since she was a filly. "I guess it was 'cause Twilight is a real close friend of mine, an'... everythin' else just sorta felt 'right', ya know? It's... hard ta explain."

Her own care and affection for you reminded you of your mother, and of that which you had lost.

"I... yeah. I... I guess it did." Applejack was purposely looking away from the figure, doing her best to hide her eyes. "I never really had anypony there fer me in mah time of need, 'cept fer her. She didn' care that I was bawlin' like a baby or nothin' - all she cared about was makin' sure I was okay."

It is still a difficult subject for you, though admitting it to the Child of Magic seems to have alleviated your pain greatly. She nodded once more, and the figure eyed her for a moment as it pondered it all. It quickly moved onto the next question. I know you are after the fruit from the Tree. Why do you need it?

The earth pony quickly looked up at the mention of that. "It's... it's fer mah Granny, Granny Smith. She's awful sick, an' it's th' only thing we know of that can cure her."

...Interesting. Are you aware of what the fruit does?

Applejack nodded again.

Though the fruit is capable of granting immortality, your grandmother's age, in addition to her illness, will severely lessen the effects - it will simply cure her instead. Despite all this, you would still give it to her?

"I didn' know mah Mom and Pop too well, an' Granny Smith is th' closest thing I have to a parent. Heck, she's th' only real parent mah lil' sister has ever had. All of this, everythin' me an' Twi have been through, has been fer Granny. I ain't about ta betray mah own friends an' family jus' fer personal gain. That's jus' plain wrong, an' it sure ain't how th' Apple family does things."

Your family means much to you. You would do anything for them or those closest to you, would you not?

The earth pony got to her hooves and looked up at the figure. "I've been called th' loyalest of friends an' th' most dependable of ponies. You bet I'd do anythin' for 'em!"

If it were necessary, would you go so far as to give your life for them?

She stared blankly, and clearly hadn't been expecting this sort of question. "Well, that's... I've never really thought about it, ta be honest. Without mah friends an' family, though, I'm nothin'... just an earth pony, all by her lonesome. Iffin somepony need ta make th' ultimate sacrifice, I'd be willin' ta do it. I'd go to th' ends of the earth an' I'd die for 'em."

Impressive... even after being told information that might sway a lesser being towards greed, you have stayed upon your chosen path, and in doing so, you have chosen correctly. I have looked deep within you, Child of Earth, and you do indeed seem to be true to your word. I cannot prevent such a noble spirit with such a noble goal from achieving that which she has set out to do - you have passed your judgment.

And then the world began to spin.

-----

Applejack was just barely aware of the wing that covered her when she awoke. She still felt a bit groggy from the transition back, but He Who Watches had at least been telling the truth when it had said Twilight would be waiting for her - the unicorn was watching the earth pony, a smile on her face. "I'm guessing you passed too, AJ."

Indeed she has. You both have passed both the trials and your judgments. As promised earlier, you may now ask me any question you wish.

The orange mare sighed and closed her eyes, yawning before quickly drifting off to sleep, exhausted from the jaunt into and out of her own soul. She quietly snored as she leaned against her friend, and being the only one still up, Twilight Sparkle instead asked whatever questions were on her mind - she was far too curious to go to sleep now. "So... who are you, really? What are you? And how did you even get here?"

It may be easier for you to comprehend if I say what I am first - I am a spirit of the world itself, this place that your kind refers to as 'Equestria'. How I came into being, I do not know. I simply... am. I exist.

"Okay, but... who are you? Or does that even exist for something like you?"

It does not, Child of Magic. I have no need for names, but over the countless years that I have existed, I have been given all manner of titles - He Who Watches, Spirit of Vengeance, 'a great and terrible evil'... the list goes on.

The unicorn blinked at the golden specter. "...'great and terrible evil'? Why have you been called that?"

I assume it has something to do with my role here at the fortress. I am the guardian and defender, but I am also the judge and executioner. Should one pass the trials and subsequently fail their judgment, they are disposed of.

"You mean, you..." She nervously chewed on her lip and swallowed before continuing. "...you kill them?"

I am afraid so, young one. Such a measure is necessary when something such as immortality is at stake. Throughout time itself, a great many beings, all of them corrupted in some way or another, have attempted to claim the fruit for themselves. Any who passed the trials inevitably failed their judgments. You two are the first.

Twilight lowered her head momentarily as she thought of another question. "But... doesn't the fruit kill too? I read that all who touch the fruit are struck dead."

A myth, fabricated by those who did not know better or could not test it themselves. The fruit itself will cause you no harm - the deaths have been caused by myself, and myself alone. It is a grim duty, but a necessary one. Such power can be easily abused by those who do not deserve it. I am sure you understand, Element of Magic.

"Okay, so the fruit isn't deadly... you said you were bound here, though, by somepony you kept referring to as 'her'. Who is she?" The lavender mare asked, hazarding a guess.

Ah, yes... her. It is a debt millenia old, and one that I still have not fully repaid. When this world was still young, and before it came to be shaped into the place you know as 'Equestria', things were still... volatile. Chaotic, even. I found myself at the mercy of another spirit, and would have been destroyed if she had not intervened. She knew the potential of the Tree and its fruit, and saw the need to protect such a thing. In exchange for my life, she asked me to keep watch over it until my debt had been paid in full. Even after all these years, I continue to stand my watch. I observe those who stumble upon the ruins, such as yourselves. Should they pass the trials, they are then judged, and eventually lead to the Tree itself.

"You're avoiding the question, though - who is this 'she' you keep talking about?"

You are already well aware of her existence, child. The 'she' I refer to is the one you know as 'Celestia'. The spirit gazed down at her and laughed upon seeing her puzzled expression. I must admit, it was rather surprising to find out that she was your mentor.

"I suspected as much, but..." Twilight Sparkle simply glanced around, confused at this latest revelation. "I don't understand."

You will understand in due time, Element of Magic. For now, it might be best if you slept as well. He Who Watches gestured at the sleeping earth pony that lay at Twilight's side. I am aware that you have been traveling since daybreak. Both of you have endured much, and you deserve a respite.

She slowly nodded and rolled over onto her side, one of her wings still laying over Applejack. "Where will you be?"

Do not worry about that, child. When you awake, I shall escort you both to the Tree. In the meantime...

The figure congealed into a luminescent sphere and quietly flew back towards the fortress.

I shall be around.