• Published 6th Apr 2016
  • 318 Views, 12 Comments

Dark Azure Nights - Blackdust



Azruan was considered a pirate just because he stole from a ship on accident once an had to go into hiding. Now his secret past is possibly going to be revealed.

  • ...
 12
 318

Prelude of Thieves

Azuran's POV

Azuran was running. He was running and the guards were catching up. They were always catching up. He knew it was just a dream of the day he became branded a pirate, but it was the day he feared would be uncovered eventually. And ever since that fateful day, he has had these nightmares. He's had the nightmares for months, and every time Luna tries to help him, it comes back worse the next night. It got so bad that he went a week without sleep or leaving his small apartment in Sound, a small village on the border of the Frozen Wastes and Equestria. Not on the route to the Crystal Kingdom. So she would just delay the guards for a little bit before leaving.

Azuran was an earth pony stallion with a knack of knowing the exact location of everypony he's ever held a conversation with. As such, his cutiemark was a scrying crystal wrapped in iron wires. Which drastically contrasted with his charcoal fur and gray colored eyes. His mane and tail having been such a sickly green that most ponies would think he was a changeling. So he had used a dark ritual that he found in a temple trying to talk with Daring Do that would change how he looked to whatever he wanted. But it took the color from his eyes when he did.

"GAH!" Azuran woke with a start and instinctively put a hoof over an old scar from that day. "Sweet Luna, when will these nightmares end..."

He knew the answer, but he feared what might happen when he trusted another pony with his secret again... Last time he did, the pony tried to steal from him. And then wound up driving him out of town... Since then he's had a hard time trusting anypony with coming into his house. Not even the guards have seen the inside of his house since he moved to Manehattan. But he knew that there was only one way to get rid of his nightmares. Trust. Something he never did since that unfortunate day that his 'friend' tricked him into stealing. And not just from some random pony of a boat, but from Prince Glitter Sparkle himself. A thing he had never thought he would've done in his entire life.

Then there came a knocking at his front door. He froze. Nopony ever knocked on his door. EVER. He made sure that everypony that lived near or around him hated him enough to not care if something happened to him. Apparently, he missed one.

"Hey uh... Is everything alright in there!?" called a slightly concerned voice from beyond the door. It sounded like a stallion.

"No. I keep having nightmares that Luna herself can't stop. Now shove off," Azuran snapped with a faint bit of pain and shock from the dream carrying over to his voice.

"You sure? I heard something really heavy crash," the stallion said, apparently unconvinced.

Crash? I'm sure I didn't- Azuran stopped midthought as his eyes saw his nightstand was on the other side of the room, having been apparently thrown when he jolted awake.

"Yes. But why would you care? You don't know who I am?" Azuran shot before he could stop himself.

"No, I don't, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know if your OK or not!" the voice shot back.

"Sorry..." Azuran whispered to quiet for the stallion to hear. Then he got up and went to the door calling out for the stallion to wait while he opens the door.

"Well...? What's wrong? You okay or not?" a stallion Earth pony with a black mane and tail with neon orange and green highlights and his cutiemark was a tad weird. It was a circle with all the wavelengths of sound on one line in a multicolored circle.

"Depends. Are you here out of concern or because of some ulterior motive? I highly doubt it's because you're here to steal from me. Most thieves don't knock," He rambled on and on, " You wanna come in?" Azuran said, moving out of the way.

"Sure..." He said as he slowly trotted in. "Would you really think I'm a burglar?"

"Only if you pulled a knife out. Or a gun," Azuran said, closing the door and turning on the light to reveal a room in complete chaos. "It's an organized mess before you flip out."

"Oh it's OK. My set at my place is worse." the stallion said, walking around calmly taking note of what pile was what.

This threw Azuran for a spin. "Your... Set...? Like DJ?" Azuran asked in a state of amused shock.

"Wait... Your telling me... Your telling me you don't hear me practice?" the stallion asked, turning around in shock to stare at his apparent neighbor.

"Not once... Guess I'm a heavy sleeper...? Oh! That reminds me, what's your name?" Azuran said, just remembering that they weren't introduced.

"My name's Waveform. Why didn't you ask me this earlier, and I woke up Mrs.Clefthoof once. And she sleeps through her own snoring!" Waveform said, slightly doubting that Azuran merely slept through his practicing.

"She snores? And my name's Azuran," Azuran said, introducing himself.

"Of course she snores. And if you're OK, then why were you screaming? Rat jump out at you or something?" Waveform asked, joking slightly.

"Not quite. Nightmares. Every night. They get worse the more Luna interferes, and the only way to get them to stop is to tell somepony I know that I can trust about them without them going to the guards about the secret behind the dreams. And why the hay am I telling you this?" Azuran asked, just now noticing how open he was being about the deepest, darkest secret he has ever carried.

"Maybe because you trust me? I mean, by your logic, and from the looks of the place, I'm the first pony you've let in here. Not even room service has seen the inside of the room since you've moved in here?" Waveform said, hitting the mark dead on.

Author's Note:

I'll be doing one chapter from one perspective and then the next will be exactly the same but from the others perspective. And again, thanks to PinkieDP for letting me use Waveform in this story! Also a thanks goes out to glittersparkle413 for letting me use thier OC from A New Life In Equestria(Continued) in here as well!