• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 5,218 Views, 319 Comments

Twilight the Third - MagnetBolt



The most wanted mare in Equestria, Twilight Sparkle is the greatest thief in the world. As she follows in the hoofsteps of her grandmother, she's joined by friends and chased by family, all while trying to make a few bits!

  • ...
10
 319
 5,218

Love Boat Part One! - Making Waves

"Ponies often compare the military or school to prison," Princess Celestia said, as she looked over the troops drilling on the castle's training grounds. "Do you know what the point of prison is, Shining Armor?"

"It's to punish the guilty," he said, answering promptly.

"Not quite," Celestia shook her head.

"Then it's to protect the innocent from dangerous elements," he tried, feeling unsure.

"It isn't that, either. Punishment has to be a part of it to remind them that actions have consequences, but it's not the whole of the thing. Protecting the innocent is much closer to the truth - they're locked away until they learn how to contribute to society instead of taking away from it." Celestia watched them for a while. "Prison is a place where bad ponies are reformed and helped to become good ponies. Most of them aren't really bad to begin with, but are victims of circumstance and poor decisions. For them, prison is a place where they don't have to fight for food or a warm place to sleep, and they're helped back onto their hooves once their sentences are over."

"What about ponies who choose to be bad?" Shining Armor asked. "The ones who already have everything and think they need more, or hurt others just because they like it?"

"You mean ponies like your sister?" Celestia asked. Shining Armor blushed. "I think given different circumstances she would have been a force for great good in Equestria. Even now, I follow her exploits with great interest."

"You do?" Shining Armor blinked. "But she's just a criminal. You've got more important things to worry about."

"As do you," Celestia noted. "Yet you have an entire wall of your office devoted to tracking her movements and exploits."

"She's my sister. That makes it my responsibility."

"I am... very familiar with that sentiment," Celestia looked up. For a moment, she looked old. Not in the way that a pony looked old, but old like the mountains or the sea, old in a way that said they'd keep on being old well after you were gone. An unbroken like from the distant past to the distant future.

"I want you to take a vacation," Celestia said, suddenly. Shining Armor felt his train of thought jump tracks trying to keep up with her. "I've already arranged things with your significant other. You'll be going on a cruise. It's my treat." She smiled brightly, as if her expression was fueled by his growing dismay.

"I can't go on a vacation now!" Shining Armor protested. "There's too much I have to do!"

"Having too much to do is exactly why you're going on vacation," Celestia replied, happily.

"Princess, you know I can't just-"

"She was very excited to hear that you'll be going on a trip together," Celestia continued. "I would hate to disappoint her."

Shining Armor sighed. He was smart enough to know when he wasn't going to win an argument. "I'm sure we'll have a great time."

"Of course you will. Pack for warm weather. Don't let me detain you."



Episode 9
Love Boat Part One! - Making Waves


"Rarity? Rarity Belle?" Asked Fancy Pants. The purple-maned mare turned to him in surprise and smiled.

"I didn't expect to see you here," Rarity said. She shook his hoof in greeting and looked at the mare accompanying him. "And Fleur, you're looking as radiant as always, darling. How have both of you been?"

"Quite well," Fancy Pants said. "But I have to admit I'm curious - this is a cruise for couples. Did some fine stallion manage to snag your heart?"

"W-well," Rarity coughed nervously. "It's not quite that."

"Hey, Rarara!" her partner yelled, as she trotted over. The purple unicorn leaned into her and held up a plate of hors d'oeuvres. Her clothing was very recently tailored, her makeup and hair done up just so. "They've got an open bar and these great artichoke squares at the buffet table!"

Rarity sighed. "This is my... fiancee, Dusk Shine."


"The Hearts and Hooves Day Cruise is fairly typical as far as these events go," Rarity said. "Expensive tickets, couples only, and largely an excuse for the wealthy to mingle and drink to excess where the press can't see them. Of course not all"

"Couples only?" Gilda frowned. "I'm not sure if you've noticed, Rarity, but we're all just friends here."

"I could ask Trixie if she wants to go," Maud said, quietly.

"Hm?" Gilda asked, not having heard her.

"Nothing," Maud said, quickly.

"I was gifted tickets by an anonymous fan of my work," Rarity noted. "I know that there's one pony here who won't mind pretending to be my beau for a week." She looked significantly at Twilight. "Darling, would you go on a romantic cruise with me so we can steal a lot of money?"

"Oh Rarity," Twilight swooned. "I'd go on a romantic cruise with you even if there wasn't money involved."

"Wonderful," Rarity smiled. "Of course, I couldn't use your real name. Ponies know who I am and I can't be associated with a rogue like you in public. For the duration of the cruise, you'll have to go by the name Dusk Shine. We'll need to give you a makeover as well."

"Why do I need a makeover?" Twilight asked.

"Darling, it needs to be believable that I'd be married to you," Rarity said. "That manecut? And that outfit?" She raised an eyebrow. "I have standards, Twilight."


Twilight tried not to touch her mane. Rarity had used so much product that she felt like she was wearing a glossy, floral-scented helmet. Part of her was sure that if she got too close to any of the romantic candles around the room, she'd go up in a ball of flames.

At least she'd be a well-dressed ball of flames, though. Rarity was almost as good at making formalwear as she was at making sure that rich ponies who met her went away somewhat poorer.

"So what's the plan?" Twilight asked, quietly, as she followed Rarity outside to the deck of the ship. "If we're just going to make nice and meet people, it seems like a waste of expensive tickets. The wine isn't bad, though."

"You've got no taste for it," Rarity said. "The wine is rubbish. This is far too sweet and there's a bite to it that says it was on the verge of going to vinegar." She looked out over the waves. "It's an open secret that Prince Blueblood is going to propose to somepony, though for some reason it's been difficult to find out whom."

"How hard could it be?" Twilight asked. "It's not like he's a restrained and subtle pony."

"I know!" Rarity groaned, frustrated. "The worst part is I can't seem to escape him. He ends up at all of my shows, every garden party I attend, and I swear I even saw him at my little sister's chorus recital."

"Why would he be there?"

"I'm not sure if he was. It might have just been one of the other stallions in town. I think I just have Blueblood on the brain, as it were."

"That sounds like a serious medical condition," Twilight said. "But I know the cure. Vitamin Twilight Sparkle, delivered orally~"

Rarity put her face in her hooves. "Darling, you have the worst pickup lines."

"Are they working?"

"If they worked, they wouldn't be the worst." Rarity scoffed. "The point is, Blueblood is going to propose with a ring that once belonged to Princess Platinum herself. It should be in a museum, but I'll settle for selling it on the black market."

"You're going to ruin someone's marriage proposal?" Twilight raised her eyebrows, surprised.

"It doesn't count if it's Blueblood," Rarity said, scowling at the waves. She tossed her glass of wine overboard. "I consider ruining his night a bonus. Besides, it's easy money, darling."


"I'm so glad I finally got you away from that uniform," Cadance said, happily. "You look so much better in a suit. And out of it." She was a Princess, so she didn't say it suggestively, or wiggle her eyebrows, or give Shining Armor a knowing look. She just implied that she could be doing all of those things in a subtle way that made it even stronger than if she had actually been doing them.

"I guess I really did need a vacation," Shining Armor admitted. "It's been a long while since I took any time off. I didn't even know what to do with myself this morning. I didn't have any paperwork to fill out!"

"You're lucky I had some ideas," Cadance said. She nodded to a pony as they walked past. "It's just good that it hadn't been so long that you forgot how it all worked- oh! Look, they have canapes with tomatoes and cheese!"

Shining Armor followed her. He loved Cadance, he really did. It wasn't that he tried to spend time away from her, it was just that both of them put the good of Equestria before their own personal needs. He chased after Twilight and spent almost all his time in Canterlot getting caught up on the paperwork he should have been doing while he was in hot pursuit. Cadance was an ambassador, which meant she spent half of the year out of the country. He couldn't afford to spend a month in Saddle Arabia doing essentially nothing.

Sometimes he worried that it wasn't enough. Cadance was always around pleasant, diplomatic ponies (and other people, though he wasn't very worried about the minotaurs or diamond dogs in this particular way) and he was always... somewhere else. Part of him said that she deserved better, but he wasn't sure what to do.

Cadance didn't seem worried about it, but she was also very diplomatic. She might not want to bring anything up, and Shining Armor wasn't entirely sure he wanted to know the truth.

"I think they're called mini-pizzas," Shining Armor said, instead of voicing even a fraction of his concerns.

"No, dear, when they're sophisticated, they're canapes. Even if they're pizza." She winked at him. "Say, did you see Bluey anywhere?"

"Prince Blueblood?" Shining Armor scanned the room. "I haven't been looking. Why?"

"I don't want to miss the big moment! He's going to propose to somepony, but no one seems to know who." Cadance sat down and tapped her chin, looking over the crowd. "A lot of these ponies are married, so we can eliminate them. I don't even recall seeing a single mare or stallion anywhere except for the crew."

"You think it might be a crew member?" Shining Armor asked.

"It's... unlikely," Cadance said, eventually. "This is his first time on this cruise, and he has a personal yacht. If he has been dating a member of the crew, he must have met them somewhere else."

"I didn't even think he was dating."

"I didn't think so either," Cadance admitted. "I don't know how I could have missed it."


"Excuse me, Miss Rarity Belle?" Rarity turned, surprised that anypony had come to see her on the ship's deck. Prince Blueblood was there, with... a small smile, something she wasn't used to seeing on his face.

"Ah, Blueblood, I had heard a rumor that you were going to be on this cruise," Rarity said, smiling and polite and as fake as glass pretending to be a diamond. Just like glass cut to look like a gem, she could glimmer and glitter even more than the real thing because she was trying harder.

"Indeed," Blueblood said. "It occurred to me that getting away from the press for anything romantic was practically a requirement at my social level." He chuckled a little "Well, our social level."

"I know the feeling," Rarity said. "It takes all the fun out of gossip when it becomes public knowledge."

"Yes," Blueblood said. "And then there's the way that they capture everything with just the facts. My father used to go fishing and would tell us about the size of the fish he caught - and of course, released. They were typically somewhat larger than his boat, though the big fish all seemed to go away after cameras followed him around everywhere."

"Well, darling, that's because a story is always better when it's embellished," Rarity said. "A white dress is just a dress unless it's on a pony who's getting married. Then it's a beautiful work of clean design and form."

"Speaking of that sort of thing," Blueblood started, hesitating.

"I am open to new clients, especially for important events," Rarity supplied. Blueblood shook his head.

"It's not that. I... blast it, I practiced this part in my head." He sighed and knelt down, digging around in his pocket until he produced a box. "Miss Rarity Belle, would you do me the honor of agreeing to marry me?"

Rarity's eyes went wide. She suddenly noticed that they weren't quite alone. There were a great number of ponies watching, from what must have seemed to them to be a cautious, stealthy distance.

She heard Twilight's breath catch. So did hers, once Blueblood opened the box and revealed the platinum ring of Princess Platinum, crowned with a rare blue diamond.

Rarity had never felt so exposed.

"I..." She started. She felt faint. She nodded. Blueblood stood up, sweeping her off her hooves and kissing her. Rarity was distantly aware of ponies clapping somewhere in the distance.

The thing about glass pretending it's a diamond is that, above all, it's still quite fragile and susceptible to sudden shocks. Rarity slipped away into a dead faint, unfortunately without the benefit of having her lounge nearby.


Cadance watched the happy crowd help Blueblood's new fiancee to her feet and they led the two off, forming a tight knot of happy wishes and questions about the upcoming wedding. A mare stood well to the side of it all, looking as sour as a lemon that was as sour as two lemons.

"Dear," Cadance said, looking at Shining Armor. "Why don't you go give Blueblood our best wishes?"

"Oh, uh..." Shining Armor hesitated. "Alright."

"I'll catch up to you a little later." She pecked his cheek. "I've got some girl things to take care of."

"You're not going to propose to anypony without telling me first?" Shining Armor joked. Cadance giggled and swatted him with her tail, sending him on his way before walking quietly over to the lone mare, not that she had to be too careful - all eyes were on Blueblood right now.

"I see not everypony is quite as happy as Bluey," Cadance ventured. "Before they all ran off, I heard some confusion, since apparently Rarity Belle already arrived with a date."

"Yeah," the mare muttered. Cadance looked at her more closely and narrowed her eyes. She leaned in to whisper.

"Sunshine sunshine, ladybugs awake..."

"Clap your hooves and give a little shake," the mare said, the distraction making her answer on autopilot. Her ears immediately flattened as soon as she realized what she'd done.

"Twilight S-" Cadance gasped, before a hoof covered her mouth.

"Not so loud!" Twilight hissed. Cadance nodded and let Twilight drag her away.

"What are you doing here?" Cadance asked. "You're one of the most wanted mares in Equestria!"

"Only one of the most wanted?" Twilight joked. "I guess that makes sense. Seems like Rarity is the most wanted right now."

"I haven't seen you since..." She stopped. "Well, probably two days ago in the reports Shining Armor brought back to the suite. But it's been much longer since I saw you in person."

"Yeah, it's hard for a criminal to make time to speak with a Princess," Twilight admitted, smiling crookedly.

Cadance hugged her. "I wish it was under better circumstances. If it was anything else I'd be so happy that you were safe, but..."

"Not really a great night, I know," Twilight sighed. "Shouldn't you be yelling for the guard?"

"You've had a rough enough time already," Cadance said. "So you and Rarity Belle? That's quite an odd combination. How did you even meet?"

"That's a long story. Oddly, Blueblood was involved in that, too," Twilight snorted. "But I don't really want to talk about it. So who's your lucky stallion? Or mare. Obviously I don't judge."

"I... think that's a topic best avoided if you don't already know," Cadance said, cautiously. "I want to make you feel better, not talk about my own love life."

"It'd be easier if I had a few more drinks," Twilight said.

"Twilight, please," Cadance admonished. "You say that like there aren't at least three bars on this ship. I bet the one near the pool is empty right now."


Rarity was dazed. How could something go so right and so wrong at the same time? She wanted to get her hooves on the ring. It was currently adorning her horn. She wanted to ruin Blueblood's proposal. Instead she had, in what was increasingly seeming like a fever dream, agreed to marry him.

What she needed was for Twilight to come in, grab the ring - no, scratch that, grab her and the ring - and escape the ship using some kind of clever trick involving sea turtles.

She looked in vain for the lavender mare and instead found herself looking at another large, white stallion, and one she wanted to see even less than Blueblood.

"Rarity Belle, right?" Shining Armor said, smiling. "Cadance wanted me to wish you and Blueblood the best. She'll probably want to tell you in person at some point, but she doesn't like interrupting other ponies' special moments."

"O-of course," Rarity agreed. Why was Shining Armor here? He'd spot Twilight in seconds even if her disguise wasn't just a new hairstyle and a dress! Things were rapidly going from bad and confusing to worse and labyrinthine.


Twilight slammed back another shot of tequila, chasing it up with a bite into a salted lime. Cadance copied her, licking her lips afterwards.

"And that's really how they drink it in Burrexico?" Cadance asked.

"Yep!" Twilight said. "Not much worth stealing there, but it's a good place to hide out. I spent a week there enjoying the sights. Great food, too."

"So..." Cadance wiggled on her barstool. "Do you wanna-"

"I've been chasing her for years!" Twilight groaned, putting her head down on the bar. "Gilda says I'm an idiot and that I should give up on it."

"It takes dedication to chase a pony for years. If you were her date, you must have gotten somewhere, at least, right?" Cadance asked.

"I thought that, but I've thought it before," Twilight sighed. "It's hard to tell if she's teasing or serious. She keeps saying no, or screwing me over, but then she comes out of nowhere and saves my flank."

"That sounds like a complicated relationship," Cadance said. "Who's Gilda? One of your other friends?"

"She's-" Twilight hesitated. "Promise me you won't repeat anything to anypony else, especially not if they have a badge."

"I swear as your old foalsitter and the Princess of Love that I won't tell a soul." Cadance put her hoof over her heart.

"Gilda is my partner." She saw Cadance's look. "Partner in crime, Cadance. Not the other way. And I think she's got a thing going on with one of the Wonderbolts anyway."

"Ooh!" Cadance giggled. "You're lucky you made me promise. That's some premium gossip."

"Exactly," Twilight replied. "Anyway, the thing is... Rarity and I have known each other for a long time. It was even before I left Canterlot. Remember Blueblood's big birthday thing where Celestia's gift to him went missing?"

"That was you?" Cadance asked.

"The quills are still stashed somewhere safe," Twilight said. "I could have sold them, but..." She shrugged. "I didn't need the money, and they seemed too precious to just hawk for a few bits, you know?"

"I didn't know you were sentimental."

"Money's just a way of keeping score. You stop caring about it after a while." Twilight poured another shot of tequila for herself. They were alone in the bar, thanks to a quiet request for privacy from Cadance.

"So what is it that you like about her?" Cadance took the bottle and poured a shot for herself.

"She's smart. And more than that, she's cunning, like a fox that went to Canterlot University and got tenure as the Chair of Being Clever." Twilight downed her shot. "I mean, I know she plays me." She coughed a little. "But I put up with it because I like her, you know? And she'd never try to hurt me."

"Except for tonight," Cadance said. "So I guess that means you two are... over?"

"I don't even know what to think," Twilight mumbled. "I mean, this whole thing was just a con to begin with." She poured herself a third shot, then followed it with a fourth. "This was supposed to be a quick, easy job. Spend time with Rarara, eat the food, drink the tequila, steal a few things, have a good time." She sighed and put the bottle down. "Looks like I'm gonna manage to do at least one of those."

"Twilight," Cadance sighed. "I'm sorry things aren't working out with Rarity. But maybe it's for the best, you know? You'll meet some stallion or mare or griffon or zebra that really completes you. And heists might not even be involved."

"Plenty of fish in the sea, huh?" Twilight asked, weakly.

"The problem with that is that it's kinda rude to ponies," Cadance said. "Sure, there are other mares out there - and they're not Rarity. Saying that she's just a fish in the sea makes it sound like she's not special, but everypony's special in their own way. People say 'there're plenty of fish in the sea' like you can just replace someone you lost, but you can't. You'll fall in love again, but it won't be in the same way."

"It just sucks, you know?" Twilight said. "It was nice being able to hear Rarity call me her fiancee, even if it was only an act."

"Would you settle down with her, give up a life of crime?" Cadance asked.

"Are you kidding?" Twilight laughed, leaning back in her stool. "You've got no idea what she's really like! She's probably stolen even more than I have. She just makes sure nopony ever knows she was involved."

"But she's a fashion designer," Cadance said. "She makes more money than most of the nobility, legitimately. She doesn't need to steal anything."

"Yeah, and she's also a mare who sees gold and thinks to herself 'I need to find a way to put that in my parlor.' Rarity could never resist an easy score."

"And now she's engaged to Blueblood," Cadance said.

"She's very romantic," Twilight muttered. "How could she resist being swept off her hooves by a prince? If I was a Princess I bet there'd be a heck of a lot less teasing on her part and a lot more romantic dinners and picking out wedding presents."

"Unfortunately there's no Princess of Crime," Cadance joked.

"No, really more of an Empress or a Queen thing," Twilight agreed. "Maybe Supreme Overlord, but that sounds like they wouldn't get their own hooves dirty."

"You don't seem much like a Supreme Overlord," Cadance agreed.

"But I do look good in a crown!" Twilight adjusted the tiara on her head. Cadance touched her suddenly bare head.

"How did you-" Cadance snatched her tiara back. "You can't just take things from ponies when they're wearing them!"

"Evidence suggests that I totally can," Twilight countered, smirking. Cadance sighed and shook her head.

"You know, Twilight, you could... settle down, stop being a criminal, maybe find something safer to do, like lion taming or extreme sneezing." Cadance reached over to touch her shoulder. "It'd be a lot easier to set you up with somepony."

"Please, you sound just like my brother," Twilight scoffed.

"Speaking of your brother, he's back at the party, but maybe you two-"

"Shining Armor is onboard?!" Twilight stood up, knocking her barstool over and starting to panic. "I need to get the heck outta here! Can you do me a favor and throw me overboard in a barrel? I'm sure I'll float back to shore at some point."

"Twilight, calm down," Cadance said. Long experience as a foalsitter meant she was well aware that Twilight was on the edge of either screaming or crying. "I'm not going to tell him you're here."

"You won't?"

"He's on vacation, not on duty," Cadance replied, calmly. "If he knows you're here, I won't be able to get him to relax. I promise I won't tell him, and it's in my best interest anyway."

"It is?" Twilight frowned. "Hey, come to think of it, he must be here with a date!"

"That would seem to be the case," Cadance agreed.

"I just need to figure out who it is. Maybe if he has a marefriend he'll stop chasing after me so much and I can get some real thievery going. There's this bank in Stalliongrad I keep meaning to break into." Twilight rubbed her chin. "But who does he even know... aside from you and me, I didn't think he knew any mares."

"There... aren't a lot in the Royal Guard," Cadance sighed. The truth was going to come out.

"And you're here," Twilight noted, slowly.

"That's right," Cadance braced herself.

"Which makes sense, of course, with this being a Hearts and Hooves day thing and you being the Princess of Love. Makes the whole thing more official. I just hope you can get a date some time." She patted Cadance on the shoulder. "I mean Shiny's been hitting it up with some mystery chick for a while now, but I never see you with anyone except him and your personal guards."

Cadance groaned and poured herself another shot.

"Don't worry," Twilight said. "I'm sure you'll find somepony too. Hey, maybe we should give dating a try." She winked.

Cadance groaned, put the shot glass to the side, and just went for the bottle.


Rarity eventually found herself alone with Blueblood, the platinum ring around her horn. It felt like a lead weight, despite being such a small thing. It wasn't like she was really betraying Twilight - getting the ring itself was a non-issue now, and they just needed to get their heads together and figure out a way to get it off the ship and end her 'relationship' with Blueblood.

Part of felt unfathomably guilty at sitting with the Prince and eating a quiet meal, though. It was silly, of course. As she'd repeatedly reminded Twilight, she wasn't interested in a relationship with the erratic rogue. It certainly wasn't like she was cheating on her.

"How is the eggplant, my dear?" Blueblood asked.

"Quite delectable," Rarity said. "My compliments to the chef. The last time I had eggplant parmesan, the eggplant was cut so thinly that all you could taste was breading."

"Mm." Blueblood noted, nodding. "Typically done to disguise the quality of the ingredients."

Rarity raised an eyebrow. It was more insightful than she'd expected from the prince. She disguised her hesitation with another bite of the food, trying to think of her next move. She could make small talk for hours, but at some point it was going to turn to speaking of... the event looming over her, and that weight on her horn. As she'd learned many times, it was better to attack than defend.

"I'm curious, Prince Blueblood - why me? There must be any number of mares practically throwing themselves at your hooves."

"You're attractive, intelligent, and successful," Blueblood said. It almost sounded like he was reading from a script he'd prepared. "I'm always attracted to mares with assets in the right places."

"Of course," Rarity agreed. She didn't usually disagree with compliments. Something about the way he said it made her want to disagree, though. There was a faint sensation of slime every time he spoke, and it wasn't because of his faint lisp.


Twilight stumbled back to her cabin. There were ponies outside of it, carrying bags out of the room. Rarity's luggage. Her ears folded back at the thought. She was going to be alone. It wasn't that strange, but the circumstances made it feel like she was losing something important.

Then she saw her battered black bag being taking away.

"Hey!" She snapped, yelling down the corridor. "That's mine!"

"M-ma'am, we were instructed to take all of Lady Rarity's luggage-"

"That's my bag," Twilight growled. She tore it from his hooves. "Do you know where we are right now?"

"We're on a boat, ma'am."

"That's right," Twilight said. "And where's the boat?"

"On the ocean?" The swabbie ventured.

"In international waters," Twilight specified, her eyes narrowed. "Somepony told me once that they weren't entirely sure if it would even be a crime if they murdered somepony in international waters. I'm almost in a mood to find out if that's true. Are you?"

"No, ma'am!" Yelled the young stallion.

"Then GO AWAY!" Twilight yelled, managing a good impression of how Gilda roared when she was really annoyed. The busboys turned tail and ran, taking Rarity's bags with them. Twilight clutched her bag for a moment then trotted inside, seething.

"Stealing Rarity away from me, almost taking my bag..." Twilight grit her teeth, slamming the door behind her and locking the deadbolt to keep the busboys out. "I'm not just some pony. I'm gonna get her back, and he's gonna regret ever getting between me and what I want!"

She tossed her bag to the side and slumped onto the bed, fumbling for a pen and paper.

"But first, I need a plan..." She yawned. The tequila was really getting to her. After a few minutes, with nothing written on her checklist except 'come up with a plan', she completely passed out, dead to the world.


Rarity turned the handle on the door. It was locked. That wasn't surprising. She pulled out her key and turned the lock, trying again. The handled turned, and the deadbolt stopped her. That was more annoying. If she had her tools, she could pick the lock, but perhaps it was a good sign. It meant Twilight was inside.

"Twilight, darling, could you open the door?" Rarity asked. When there wasn't an immediate answer, she followed it up with "We need to talk."

It was the universal declaration that something was deeply wrong, and it wasn't a surprise that Twilight didn't open the door after that bomb was dropped. Rarity sighed and sat down, looking around to make sure they were alone for this relatively private conversation.

"I want to apologize. Things haven't quite gone as we planned." Rarity leaned against the cold metal of the door. Or was it a hatch? She wasn't quite sure which was the right word. Twilight would have known. "I got caught up in the moment, especially with that ring right in front of me."

She paused and listened for some kind of reply. It seemed Twilight was going to make her do all the talking for now.

"Every little filly wants to grow up and become a Princess, you know?" Rarity offered. "I won't have wings, but I'll have the title, and that's nearly as good. Of course, I'd probably have to give up a life of... excitement."

She looked down at her hooves.

"Twilight, this is when you're supposed to open the door and tell me that I'm being stupid!" She hesitated. "Are you really that mad at me? I mean, I know you say you're attracted to me, but you say that to a lot of mares, and you're never serious about it."

The room beyond the door remained stubbornly silent, no matter how hard Rarity listened for hoofsteps coming to open it and let her inside.

"We weren't really engaged, Twilight. It was just a con. An act, darling. I mean, we're not right for each other. I can't be seen with you in public, not with you being Equestria's most wanted mare." She huffed and rubbed at her eyes.

"You could at least say something," Rarity mumbled. "He's not even as bad as I remembered. Blueblood is making an honest attempt to be nice to me and... I find myself sorely tempted. A title like that is something I could never steal, you understand?"

She stood up.

"Fine, you can be mad at me." She hung her head. "I'm sorry, Twilight."

Rarity walked away, feeling more blue than white.

Author's Note:

Drama! Romance! Princesses! Will these star-crossed (and in Twilight's case, star-flanked) lovers resolve their differences, or will Rarity be sentenced to a life of fame, fortune, and comfort? Wait, is that really so bad?