• Published 27th Mar 2016
  • 5,794 Views, 526 Comments

The Ever Changing Moon - CommanderX5



The return of Nightmare Moon is coming, and with thestrals on her side, the Elements may not be enough. Now the fate of Equestria rests in the hooves of a young pureblood thestral, Fluttershy and the friends she made.

  • ...
15
 526
 5,794

Nightmare Moon’s Return - Arrival

The Ever Changing Moon

-

Chapter 2

Nightmare Moon’s Return

Part 1 - Arrival

Fancy Pants and Moon Shadow stood next to each other, staring at the symbol of banishment that slowly vanished from the moon. Waiting patiently in the ruined castle where their queen faced Celestia before her defeat. Both were wearing capes and scale mail armor with magical runes inscribed on their gear.

This was the night they were preparing for, a night they had awaited for centuries. Tonight the fate of Equestria, or maybe even of the entire world will be decided.

Before their very eyes, a black shape emerged from a purple mist. A tall black alicorn similar to Celestia, yet her wings, eyes and fangs bore similarities to a pureblood.

They bowed, their eyes flashing with power as set of magically enhanced blue armor levitated over, shining in the night under the light of the moon as there was no ceiling in the way. “Greetings, Mistress Nightmare Moon.”

“Oh my, I had not expected such a warm welcome,” Nightmare Moon spoke, gratefully accepting and putting on the gift. “It is a true joy to be greeted in such a manner. How long have I dreamed of being reunited with my subjects while enduring the frozen solitude?”

“It has been far too long, My Queen," Fancy Pants said, maintaining his respectful posture. “It is an honour.”

“Your purebloods are ready to do your will, as are their clans,” Moon Shadow added, not daring to look up.

“Thank you for showing your respect and support, now stand,” Nightmare said in a cold, commanding tone. “What are your names?”

“I am Fancy Pants,” he said, standing up as ordered. “I gathered those who are hoping for peace. Should you wish to unite our kind with the rest of Equestria, we have the resources and means to support it.” His eyes flashed as he summoned a large round table covered by a blue tablecloth inscribed with moons. A variety of food, several candles and elegant plates appeared atop of it.

“My name is Moon Shadow. I was over a century old when I witnessed your banishment. Because of the purge your wretched sister executed, I am currently the eldest.” He stomped in anger. “I have prepared my kin for this night. We are powerful and organized, ready to invade Equestria at your command.”

Casting a spell of his own, he summoned three seats made of the most expensive ebony, equipped with cushions as comfortable as a cloud. Various drinks appeared next on the table, from apple cider to bottles filled with blood.

Nightmare smiled and took a seat, bidding them to do the same. A mere taste of vegetable soup causing stars to appear in her eyes. Her wings spread while smile widened. While she didn’t need to eat or drink as she could live purely on magic, it brought her indescribable joy.

Saliva fell from her mouth as she exposed her fangs, struggling to maintain her manners as she ate dish after dish, drinking three bottles of wine and cider in a row.

“I hope our hospitality is to your liking,” Moon Shadow commented, eating a small steak himself. While his kind could eat sweets, hay and other types of pony food as long as their need for blood was satisfied, meat always tasted like a delicacy.

“It is beyond satisfying. You deserve great praise indeed.” She looked up at the sky as there was no ceiling to block her view. She grit her teeth, taking control over the moon and the sun. “That was quite unexpected.”

“I dare to ask, what was unexpected, Your Majesty?” Fancy Pants asked, releasing fork with salad from his magic.

“I expected my… sister… to put up a fight, yet she released her hold on the sun without resistance.” With little effort, several thousands stars formed on the sky, making it brighter and more spectacular than ever. The sky became her personal tapestry.

“Breath-taking,” Moon Shadow breathed in admiration, looking at the sky.

“May I ask, how long will this night last?” Fancy Pants asked curiously.

“Long enough to weaken Celestia and realize my plan.”

“Plan?”

Nightmare Moon levitated over a napkin, cleaning her mouth. “During my banishment, I had more time to interact with and get to know my other self than I would have wanted. While our goal is similar, the methods of achieving it differ. We made an agreement where I swore to Luna that if we ever returned, I would meet with our subjects and learn if peace is possible.”

Fancy Pants smiled, while Moon Shadow struggled to restrain his anger.

“Your Majesty, the longer you delay, the more time Celestia and Cadence will have to plan your capture. The Crystal Guard is well equipped against our kind. We do not have the luxury of time and action needs to be taken immediately.”

“I understand your concern, Moon Shadow,” Nightmare Moon said calmly, deciding to ignore the sudden interruption. “I wish for nothing more than to help your kind and punish Celestia for her transgressions, but I bear no grudge against the current generations of my subjects. I swore to judge them fairly.”

“For how long?” Moon Shadow asked, his forehoof slamming against the table. He blushed and lowered his head. “My deepest apologies.”

Nightmare Moon frowned in disappointment, her voice now filled with a cold edge. “It can take one day, or a few weeks. I shall not judge an entire nation without taking a measure of its people. Celestia will not escape her punishment, but should cold or lack of sunlight cause my subjects too much harm, I will raise the sun.”

She stood up from her seat and spread her wings. “I am grateful for your hospitality. You have earned my respect.” She half-bowed, the purebloods quickly returned the gesture. “Yet, I cannot waste more time in these ruins.”

“We understand,” Fancy Pants said, not daring to look at his rival’s angered face. “There is a small town nearby called Ponyville, a charming little community. May I suggest to visit it first?” Maps levitated from his saddlebag, a gift for his queen he thought would be most practical.

“Thank you, Lord Fancy Pants. I believe that your gifts will be most useful in our quest.” She opened a pocket dimension with her magic, glancing at the maps before storing them there. She closed her wings and prepared another spell, one that would let her travel undetected.

“Farewell, Mighty Lords. We shall meet again,” she said before turning into into a starry, blue mist, now heading towards Ponyville.

***

The silence lasted for a minute as Moon Shadow gathered his thoughts.

“If the two-faced princess refuses to lead us as our Queen, we should duel each other for leadership. Our kind needs one leader, not two.”

Fancy Pants stood from his seat and smashed the table. “That’s treason! You want to betray what we have been working for for so long? The very pony we have waited centuries for?”

Moon Shadow wiped a fragment of food from his chest and pointed at his rival. “You betrayed her first. Do you think I do not know about the anonymous letters you have been sending to Celestia all this time? The warning about our upcoming invasion?”

Fancy Pants looked to the side in silence, his eyes closed, yet face refusing to display any emotions.

“As long as Nightmare Moon keeps the sun restrained, Celestia is vulnerable,” Moon Shadow said, pointing up at the sky. “But it can change! We cannot wait even a week. If Nightmare Moon is defeated, our preparations will be for naught.” His eyes flashed as black mist surrounded them.

Fancy Pants waited for the mist to disperse, now seeing a large platform with six arms, each holding an orb that was once a powerful artifact. Five of six Elements were present.

“I can sense it. The power of the Elements is growing, waiting to be unleashed. Destroying their physical form will not neutralize their power,” Moon Shadow said angrily.

Fancy Pants sighed. He knew that he wouldn’t change the mind of his rival with words. Each passing day would be an opportunity for the princesses, armies, or a group of self-proclaimed heroes to defeat their queen. “I say, as much as I disagree with your decision, I know I won’t change your mind.” He sighed. “Still, I am starting to wonder. Do you really have the best interests of Nightmare Moon or our kind in mind? Or maybe it is vengeance that dictates your actions?”

Moon Shadow frowned and looked to the side in silence.

“I see…” Fancy Pants said. “If you are really going to walk such a path, a fight it shall be.” He spread his wings and flew up, giving his rival one last glance. “To ensure that both sides are equal in terms of skills and power, my wife will assist me against you and a pureblood of your choosing.”

“I agree to your terms. My brother and I will await your arrival at Ghastly Gorge. Farewell.”

Moon Shadow waited for his rival to leave before turning to the orbs, gritting his teeth. “Anypony stupid enough to touch the Elements will meet with their doom.” His eyes flashed red in the darkness as a wave of dark magic filled the room with various runes and traps.

Hiding the Elements would only delay their use, as they call upon their bearers in a mysterious way. Yet, no unicorn, pegasus or earth pony will survive what I have prepared for them. A grin of satisfaction formed on his face.

Bypassing tree after tree, Nightmare Moon was rapidly drawing closer to the little town. Each monster she passed made her wonder how could anypony settle so close to this forest. A forest that grew on ruins of the old capital as only the main castle survived the passage of time. What were once pristine marble floors were now overrun with cracks and plant growth.

She flew upward, returning to her physical form as she observed the town from the air. The simple, yet colorful decorations were clearly visible to her despite the darkness. She smiled. Such a simple and yet unique town, much more decorative than the towns of old. Her attention focused on a large home that seemed to be made of candy. Truly imaginative. Hopefully this new generation will appreciate the meaning of art.

How canst thou be so selfish at such a time?! Seeking acceptance for thestrals and ensuring equality between all races is more important than our own desire to express ourselves! We hath already spoken of this, Nightmare! 'scolded a voice from the back of her mind.

I haven’t forgotten our agreement, Luna Nightmare Moon thought as she examined her surroundings, now searching for local citizens. It doesn’t mean we can’t take a moment to admire the view.

After several minutes of searching for ponies in the oddly quiet town, she spotted a large gathering in front of a tall building. Ponies were slowly entering inside. Time to make my grand entrance. Her enthusiasm was slowly overcome by worry. It was one thing to be greeted by purebloods, her loyal allies she had led in the past, ponies that viewed her as a leader or even a goddess. Other races, however, saw her as an enemy, a traitor, corrupted and monstrous.

The ponies she was going to meet were her sister’s subjects, after all. No matter what, I must restrain my anger. I cannot allow them to provoke me.

Turning into a mist, she snuck into the building, reforming her body behind a shut curtain.

I need to show the grace and authority of a strong monarch. Display my power to gain their respect. Make them fear me so they will not fight back.

She rubbed her chin. Spreading fear was a good way to force the enemy to surrender and force them to listen, but was it a proper tool to gain their trust?

Maybe just a few bolts of lightning will do…

With her plan forming in her mind, she decided to think over the issue. I gave Luna my word and I’m going to keep it. If they attack, I shall retreat. I will conquer them only as last resort.

After taking a deep breath, she lit her horn, summoning a swirling vortex of thunderclouds as lightnings flashed in the room, causing a few yelps.

Turning into mist, she reformed on the balcony, towering over hundreds of ponies. Her leathery wings spread, head raised proudly while her armor shone from flashes of lightnings. She was about to introduce herself, but something distracted her from giving a speech.

Are those… banners with the symbol of the moon? She looked around, examining her surroundings. The walls were painted in blue and covered in star constellations, one reminding her of Ursa Major while another of Scorpius. Violet ribbons were sparkling in the cool night breeze, the hall lit by numerous sconces hung with exquisite blue-violet silk. Yet, the most unexpected decoration was a large banner titled as, ‘Welcome Back, Nightmare Moon.’

She blinked, blinded for a moment by three spotlights directed at her. Classical music filled the room as her attention focused on an earth pony playing a cello.

“Here she is, everypony. The Mare from the Moon and sister of our beloved and wise ruler,” Mayor Mare spoke, receiving a few shakes of heads and ‘you messed up’ glares from the crowd. Mayor Mare gulped and continued, “W-we a-are here to welcome her Highness Nightmare Moon back to Equestria and celebrate her glorious return.”

The tall alicorn raised her foreleg uncertainly, caught off guard by the clopping hooves and cheering crowd.

“Will you honor us with a speech, Your Highness?”

Speech?

We had a speech prepared in advance, Luna commented from the depths of her mind. Remember the time we spent practicing speeches in front of those moonstone statuettes? It made a good distraction from the monotony.

That’s true, we prepared a few should we return to Equestria, Nightmare Moon responded. Though none of them accounted for future generations remembering our existence, much less welcoming us so openly.

Then thou should improvise.

Nightmare Moon closed her wings and chuckled. “My, my, this night has not ceased to surprise me. I must commend you for your warm welcome. It makes me proud to accept you as my subjects once more.”

The crowd cheered.

Impressive start. Maybe mention how we expected hostility, or that we were forgotten, Luna advised.

She lowered her foreleg and continued with a regal tone, ”When I came here to announce my return, I had expected confusion and hostility. I expected no pony would remember my existence, yet here I am proven wrong.”

She spread her wings and descended from the balcony, landing on the platform next to Mayor Mare, who stepped to the side. The moment her armored hooves touched the floor, a large amount of confetti exploded in her face.

She brushed her face clean and grimaced, while Luna burst into laughter deep inside their mind.

I find nothing amusing in this unexpected distraction, Nightmare thought.

Luna continued between snorts and giggles, We think... the exact opposite.

I prefer to be shown respect rather than be treated as a filly, Nightmare snapped.

Thou art too serious for our own good. We once bore the Element of Laughter. Thou would do well to laugh along with our subjects.

We have no time for that. We should focus on our goal foremost. She looked over the crowd curiously.

“To whom do I owe this pleasant welcome? Who spread the news of my return?”

“I did, Princess! Umm, well, I spread the news of your return.”

The crowd split to reveal a lavender unicorn.

“I would like to thank you for your efforts, but I cannot do so properly without knowing your name.”

“My name is Twilight Sparkle,” she responded before bowing, the rest of the ponies following suit. “I am here to inform you that Ponyville and all of its citizens surrender to your mercy.”

“Surrender?” Nightmare Moon repeated. “I have not come here to conquer.”

“You haven’t?” Twilight asked in confusion as she raised her head.

“I came to announce my return, give a speech and judge if the future generations are wiser than those before them.” Nightmare Moon grinned, exposing her fangs, her voice now cold. ”Yet, I wouldn’t dare to refuse such a generous offer.” She gestured over the room. “Stand, my loyal subjects! If you’re so willing, I will gladly become your queen.”

Twilight sat as her eye twitched. She had just surrendered an entire town to a villain who wasn’t even interested in it.

Unnoticed by Nightmare Moon, a white unicorn with purple glasses was sitting with crossed forelegs, supported against a wall. She was giving her musician friend an annoyed glare, as it wasn’t her music that would welcome Nightmare Moon. Upon hearing the discussion between Twilight and the alicorn, she frowned and approached. “What about us?” She grabbed Pinkie Pie and Rarity by their shoulders. “We organized this awesome night-party. We’re like… the backbone of this skeleton, the pillar of this castle, the candles on the birthday cake.” With all eyes on them, Vinyl pointed at Twilight and continued, “This mare here’s just the student of some princess who informed us of your return." Twilight smiled awkwardly, taking a step back. “She doesn’t deserve all the credit.”

“So you're my sister's student. Interesting,” Nightmare Moon said, smiling menacingly.

Twilight wiped sweat from her forehead, chuckling nervously. For every step the alicorn took forward, she took two steps backward.

Nightmare Moon lit her horn, grabbing Twilight by her neck with her levitation. Upon hearing cries of panic coming from the crowd, she spread her aura to envelop the entire unicorn instead. “Was this celebration planned by my traitorous sister? Did she send you to welcome me and surrender this town?” she asked with venom in her voice, her glare like of a hungry predator ready to devour her prey.

“Y-yes…” Twilight said while flailing her limbs weakly, fighting back seeming to be a poor option at the moment.

Nightmare Moon sighed. “And for a moment I thought…” She released her and frowned. “If she wishes to make amends for her past transgressions, I cannot forgive her. I find it disappointing that this welcome was forced by her orders.”

Upon noticing the mare trembling in her shadow, she lowered her head and spoke, “I apologize for my violent behaviour. I shouldn’t unleash my hate for Celestia on you just because you are her student, especially after you surrendered to my leadership. Will you accept my apologies?” she asked, her voice firm but calm.

Twilight massaged her neck and looked into her predatory eyes. “If you’ll try to be less intimidating and restrain your anger.”

“Agreed.” Nightmare Moon raised her head and foreleg as she faced her subject regally. “Did everypony here pledge fealty to me willingly, or because it was an order?”

Murmurs erupted throughout the room, lasting for minutes as Nightmare Moon kept her judging stare.

Slowly, silence overtook Town Hall as a few ponies stepped forward. Applejack spoke first, “Most o’ these folks were just followin’ the wishes o’ the princess. And ya’re kinda scary.”

Rarity interjected, “However, you are also a princess. You once ruled alongside your sister and certainly deserve to sit on a throne again.” She pointed at Applejack. “And while I agree that you are a bit frightening, we hope that underneath your fearsome appearance is a kind ruler.” She lit her horn and levitated over a blue-silver dress with stars decorating it. A silver crescent moon symbol adorned the chest.

“My name is Rarity and I am the best fashionista in Ponyville. I made you a gift that will help you display your true beauty. Much more princess-like than your armor.”

Rainbow Dash said firmly, “Ordered or not, we accepted your leadership. We’re your team now. As long as you’re a good leader and care for us, we’ll follow you.” She rubbed back of her neck nervously, her tone suddenly lacking in confidence. “Just… don’t make us do mean stuff. That wouldn’t be cool at all.”

Nightmare Moon smiled, turning into mist before reappearing in the new dress while placing armor on the floor. “Thank you for your gift, Lady Rarity. Would you step forward?”

“Of course, Princess.” The fashionista half-bowed and stepped onto the platform, sitting next to Twilight.

“Have any of you heard of a race called ‘thestrals’?”

Murmurs of confusion filled the room as everypony shook their heads. Rarity bit her lip, her ears drooped and sweat covered her head. She glanced at her friends who shrugged in response.

“I have,” Twilight answered. “Why do you ask?”

Nightmare Moon narrowed her eyes as the unicorn wilted slightly under the glare. “Surely your mentor taught you some manners?”

Twilight cleared her throat before composing herself. “Why do you wish to know, Your Highness?”

“Much better.” Nightmare Moon glanced between the unicorn and confused crowd. “It appears that my allies went into hiding. Now I understand.” She raised an eyebrow and asked, “Has your mentor hidden the thestrals’ existence?”

“That’s the most likely scenario,” Twilight commented. “I read every history book I could find in Canterlot and none mentioned thestrals. Princess Celestia is very secretive, especially when it comes to the past.”

“I see,” Nightmare Moon said as her horn lit. Without any warning, she cast a spell upon Rarity.

***

“W-what happened?” the fashionista asked as she lowered her raised foreleg. Upon noticing everypony staring in her direction, some pointing at her and whispering to each other, she asked, “Do I have something on my face?”

“Rarity, your ears and teeth!” Dash shouted.

She poked her fangs as her eyes widened, her disguise was gone.

“As everypony can see, thestrals are living among you in disguise,” Nightmare Moon spoke firmly. “Their magic, strength and health is enhanced. While they are weakened by sunlight and white magic, they can see in the darkness and command dark arts.”

“T-to be f-fair,” Rarity spoke in panic, “I never learned any dark arts.”

“They also drink blood as it is the most important part of their diet,” Twilight added. “According to my research, they also eat meat, though they can do well without it.”

Rarity blushed. “I never ate even the smallest slice of meat.” She stomped. “Furthermore, I swear on my good name as Ponyville’s best fashionista, I never drank blood without permission.”

Twilight commented, “I got the impression you were the only fashionista in Ponyville.”

“Not helping,” Rarity responded, shooting Twilight an angered glare. “You can forget about the wonderful dress and saddle I planned to make for you as a gift.”

“S-sorry…”

***

Nightmare Moon chuckled before continuing her lecture, explaining difference between thestrals and the purebloods. Upon finishing, she called all thestrals to step onto the stage and revealed their secret.

She carefully observed everypony, studying their expressions while reading their emotions. A quick glance at the stage filled her with guilt. Ruining the reputation of a pony who had gifted her with an elegant dress was indeed unfair and somewhat cruel. I will make it up to you, Lady Rarity, even if I will need to force my subjects to accept you for who you really are.

Rarity’s head was lowered as she couldn’t look her family in the eyes. Twilight surprisingly tried to cheer her up, though it was a fruitless endeavour. Vinyl was relaxed and lay on the stage, leaning back against the wall. Ditzy was in the embrace of her mother who patted her gently. The other three thestrals sat between Rarity and Nightmare Moon, their heads raised proudly.

Pinkie Pie, who this whole time was sitting next to Rainbow Dash while struggling to contain her energy, was trembling as if in need to use filly’s room. “Can’t take this… anymore…”

“Pinkie?” Dash asked, poking her friend's shoulder. “What’s wrong? Well, besides the obvious.”

The party mare jumped onto the stage and stood on her rear hooves while placing forelegs on her sides. “What’s with all those frowny faces? So a pony or two drinks blood, big deal. It hurts just a tiny little bit.”

Dash facehooved while Miss Cheerilee asked, “You knew?”

“Of course I did. I freaked when I found out, but it didn’t get in the way of friendship.”

“Ah was angry,” Applejack said, stepping onto the stage, “but Ah was wron’. A good pony is a good pony, no matter what species.” She stood in front of Rarity, now facing everypony.

Cheerilee asked, “According to Princess Nightmare Moon, thestrals are ponies turned by purebloods. Who turned Miss Rarity and the others?”

Applejack and Rarity looked away, their mouths shut.

“Isn’t that obvious?” Pinkie asked, ignoring gestures to keep silent made by Rainbow Dash. “Rarity was turned by…” No noise escaped Pinkie’s mouth despite the fact she was speaking without a break.

Dash smiled and shouted, “Good job, Vinyl, that was a close call!”

The musician smiled proudly and fixed her glasses, the black-green aura around her horn visible as she manipulated soundwaves around Pinkie Pie. The color of her magic was no longer disguised under an illusion. “No biggie.”

Pinkie Pie placed her forehooves on her mouth. Not only had she almost revealed her friend’s biggest secret, she nearly broke a Pinkie Promise. She gave Vinyl an apologetic look, who nodded and removed her spell.

Dash flew onto the stage, landing with a loud thump. “Does it matter who turned them? They are still ponies. We should stick together.”

Pinkie nodded. “Exactly!” She pointed at random ponies and asked, “If a pureblood turned one of you, hopefully without any brainwashing, memory erasing, or mind controlling, would you like it if your friends turned on you? If your neighbours looked at you in fear?”

A tall pegasus flew onto the stage and placed his wing on Ditzy while nuzzling his thestral wife, who in return placed her bat-like wing on his back. “There’s nothing to fear. As a proud father and husband, I can tell you that much.”

Nightmare Moon observed the spectacle without interfering, ready to protect the thestrals in case of hostility. Much to her relief, she couldn’t find any hints of anger. What she saw was confusion, curiosity, some even showing fear, but no hate.

“Excuse me, Princess.”

She glanced down to her right. “What is it, Miss…?”

“Twilight Sparkle,” the unicorn reminded. “I would like to ask about your motives. If your goal isn’t the conquest of Equestria, what is?” She took a quick breath and pointed at the thestrals present on the stage. “Why did you reveal their secrets? Are you really going to bring forth an Eternal Night?”

The alicorn laughed and rubbed Twilight’s head, who frowned in response. “Curious, aren’t we? No wonder you are her student.” She withdrew her foreleg before raising her head arrogantly. “Luna worked hard to maintain peace, but fear and distrust led Equestria to a civil war. I am just trying to find out if our subjects have become more open-minded.” She added in cold sinister tone, “Otherwise, history will repeat itself and I will once again have to pick a side.”

“P-pick a side… I see,” Twilight spoke nervously. “Still, the prophecy states that you’ll bring about Eternal Night. If you don’t wish to hurt anypony, why would you do something that would destroy crops and freeze… this is not a laughing matter!”

“I disagree,” the alicorn responded, giggling behind her raised foreleg. After a moment, her laughter died off and she explained, “The phrase ‘Eternal Night’ should not be taken literally.”

“What do you mean, Princess?”

“Eternal Night means a world ruled by the creatures of the night, though I assume the prophecy was referring just to Equestria and the Crystal Empire.”

Twilight gulped, now realizing the meaning of the legend. Nightmare Moon wouldn’t keep the sun lowered to destroy the world. She would keep it restrained long enough for purebloods to defeat Celestia and the royal guard.

Their discussion was interrupted by the approach of Mayor Mare, who bowed in front of the alicorn. “As Mayor of Ponyville and its representative, I would like to inform you of our decision.”

Nightmare Moon spread her wings and spoke firmly, “Speak!”

“We wish to accept thestrals and learn more about them.” She stood up, noticing a warm smile, or at least warmer than Nightmare’s usual cold glare. “While most of us are confused, we have agreed to give them a chance. It is not the strangest occurrence that has happened tonight, after all.”

Nightmare Moon smiled broadly as she grabbed Twilight and Mayor Mare with her wings, causing them to yelp in surprise. “How long Luna and I have waited to hear those words! Let’s celebrate this most glorious of nights!”

Pinkie didn’t need to be asked twice as she bounced around the entire room, spreading confetti, balloons and throwing sweets in the air.

“Luna? What happened to her? Does she hear us?” Twilight asked.

“She does indeed, she’s…”

Twilight bit her lip when a slice of pie splattered against Nightmare’s face, interrupting her answer.

The alicorn wiped the syrup from her face before stealing a taste from her hoof, her glare cold enough to freeze the blood in Twilight’s veins.

Mmm… tasty. Was that blackberry? Would thou allow her to hit us with another slice?

Nightmare Moon frowned. How about… no!