• Published 27th Mar 2016
  • 5,789 Views, 526 Comments

The Ever Changing Moon - CommanderX5



The return of Nightmare Moon is coming, and with thestrals on her side, the Elements may not be enough. Now the fate of Equestria rests in the hooves of a young pureblood thestral, Fluttershy and the friends she made.

  • ...
15
 526
 5,789

Nightmare Moon’s Return - A Walk in the Woods

The Ever Changing Moon

-

Chapter 2

Nightmare Moon’s Return

Part 4 - A Walk in the Woods

Twilight left Town Hall, following Nightmare Moon who was... talking with her parents. The dress was no longer present on the princess as it was taken away by Rarity for an emergency cleaning, all thanks to Pinkie Pie tripping while pulling a massive welcoming cake. Instead, the alicorn now wore iridescent blue armor, which only made her more intimidating.

Her mother, Twilight Velvet, was now cleaning the alicorn’s chest with a wet pink towel, trying to wipe the cream from her fur. The image of a powerful corrupted princess being main component of a giant cake covered in over a thousand miniature candles was still haunting Twilight’s mind.

How did Pinkie even manage to make so many tiny candles? she asked herself.

Twilight raised her forehoof to her mouth as she yawned. She had been on her hooves for an entire day and night, overseeing the preparations while her parents and Spike did their best to keep her relatively sane. Celebrating with her enemy for three hours straight did little to help.

To make matters worse, Nightmare Moon’s attitude proved unpredictable. One moment she unleashed her verbal fury on Pinkie Pie for insulting her, only to burst into laughter a moment later. Her regal and calm posture occasionally shifted between an harsh ruler, and a playful pony, often showing a lack of social skills no doubt caused by such a long absence. Maybe she has a mental disorder or split personality, which makes sense considering how much time she’s spent away from civilization. A way of coping with loneliness maybe?

Twilight shook her head and sped up, listening to their conversation.

“Forgive me for saying this, Miss Velvet,” Nightmare Moon spoke, “but I find it difficult to believe.”

“I am being honest, Your Highness. My husband and I, we were ready to attack you when you grabbed our daughter by her neck,” Velvet admitted, her glare firm and eyes narrowed. “She’s our daughter after all and you threatened her life.”

“Mom,” Twilight said, coughing to get their attention. “Don’t anger our new ruler and guest.”

Night Light puffed his chest and said, “Don’t underestimate the most magically talented family in Equestria.” He ignored the panicked shake of his daughter’s head.

Nightmare Moon chuckled and asked coldly, “Oh really?”

“Really,” Night Light responded with a confident smile.

***

The alicorn stomped. “I demand a tug of war in an hour against your family.” She pointed at the trio of unicorns. “My magic against yours! I would suggest something more in depth, but I am short on time.”

“We’d be honored,” Velvet responded before pointing at a huge oak tree. “Here’s our new home, which also serves as the local library. It even has a telescope.”

“Our little Twilight always loved stargazing and astronomy. You both should get along, Your Highness,” Night Light suggested.

Nightmare Moon glanced at Twilight with a weak smile.

“Hey, Twilight!”

“Spike?” Twilight asked as her attention focused on an opening door, revealing a sleepy Spike with a blanket attached to his tail and a pillow in one claw.

“H-hello Spike, up already?” Twilight asked, trotting towards her assistant.

“Not yet, but it’s hard to sleep with all the yelling.” He rubbed his eyes before pointing at the tall alicorn. “What did I miss?”

Twilight took a deep breath and explained, “We welcomed Nightmare Moon as planned and accepted her as our ruler. She revealed the existence of thestrals, Rarity being one of them.” She took a quick breath and continued, “Everypony was okay with it, we celebrated for hours, and now we’re giving Nightmare Moon a tour of Ponyville, updating Her Highness about historical events and modern Equestria. Oh, and she doesn’t want to destroy the world.”

“That’s great.” Spike yawned, stretching his arms. “Equestria is safe and no artifacts were needed.”

“Artifacts?”

“The Elements of Harmony, duh,” Spike said with sleepy eyes, his mouth was quickly shut by Twilight’s foreleg who was now smiling awkwardly.

“Please, don’t listen to him. Spike always talks nonsense when he’s sleepy.”

His eyes opened wide as he pushed Twilight’s foreleg away. “Rarity is a thestral?” He grabbed Twilight’s head and pressed his nose against her muzzle, now looking her deeply in the eyes. “Please tell me thestrals don’t drink dragon’s blood, or eat them!”

“No… I mean yes, I mean… only those strong and old enough to penetrate dragon scales, but now’s not the time,” Twilight answered hastily.

“I hope she’s in the ‘no dragon eating category.”

“Oh, for the love of Celest…” She paused, catching glare from the angered alicorn. “Rarity seems to be a honorable lady, she won’t hurt you.”

Spike sighed and wiped sweat from his forehead.

“Excuse me, young drake. Was your owner planning to use the Elements of Harmony against me?” Nightmare Moon asked, struggling to stay calm. Upon noticing hesitation, she raised Spike’s head with tip of her mane. “Speak, worm!”

“Your manners!” Luna admonished deep in her mind. Thou embarrass us with such a choice of words.

Upon noticing disapproval on the faces of Twilight’s parents and the drake’s trembling, she responded, “My apologies,” placing a forehoof on her mouth.

Spike spoke in panic, “Princess Celestia planned to use the Elements to heal you from corruption, but with Fluttershy’s death, one candidate was missing, please-don’t-hurt-me!”

Both Twilight and her assistant cowered on the floor with her hooves and hands on their heads.

“Is this true,” Nightmare Moon asked coldly while Twilight’s parents gave her questioning looks.

“Y-yes…” she responded as her ears drooped. She looked at the tall alicorn in fear, whose eyes were closed and breathing heavy. Twilight flinched upon receiving a hostile glare.

“Part of me wants to overlook this and not hold a grudge, especially since you are now my subjects.” She looked to the side and took a deep calming breath, trying to keep her anger in check. “Yet, a thousand years banishment on our own moon by the Elements is not something I can forget. The mere knowledge you had the potential to send me back into that cold prison is enough reason to distrust you.” She lowered her head shook it sadly, sighing. “It seems we will not get along.”

Vinyl Scratch trotted through Ponyville, her head raised high as she bypassed party guests, who were ready to take a rest after this eventful night. Her horn lit as she concealed sound waves around herself, her steps and humming not reaching anypony’s ears except her own.

She followed Nightmare Moon towards the local library, hiding on the other side of the large tree. “Now, how should I prank her?” she asked herself, thinking about her first prank.

***

Pinkie pushed a large cake towards Nightmare Moon on a platform with wheels, bypassing two lines of guests. Her cheerful trot was interrupted by a loud roar, startling her as she jumped ahead, slamming into the cake as it tilted towards the guest of honor.

Pinkie’s head emerged from under the cream as she licked her face clean. “Mmm… yummy.” The moment black angered head of an alicorn emerged, she asked, “Do you like it queenie?”

Nightmare Moon opened her mouth to respond, only for a loud burp to escape it. She blushed, trying to say something, “Call me Cakemare Moon the Queenie Meanie, and I am delightful.” She blinked in confusion as something twisted her words. Half of the crowd chuckled while the other looked at each other in confusion.

In rush of anger, she spread her wings and stomped, causing the floor to tremble. She yelled at Pinkie, only to start laughing beside her the moment Luna temporarily took over. Deep in the crowd Vinyl crossed her forelegs with a smug smile on her face.

***

“Would you share what you find so funny, my young subject?”

Vinyl stopped chuckling and opened her eyes, now staring at the unamused, towering alicorn. The aura around her horn vanished. “Hello queenie, how did you hear me?”

“I did not need hear you, my eyes are sharpest at night. You were following us for a while in the open.”

Vinyl fixed her glasses, rubbing the back of her neck. “Yea… I need to work on my stealth.”

“Are you the trickster who pranked me earlier?” Nightmare Moon asked coldly, pressing her muzzle against the Vinyl’s.

“Pretty much.” She shrugged.

Nightmare Moon grabbed the unicorn thestral with her star-filled mane, raising her above the ground. “I am in a very bad mood at the moment, so allow me to warn you!” She pushed Vinyl against the surface of the large tree and added, “Prank me again and I will personally test how long it will take for your ears and horn to grow back!”

“I would bet for it to take two days, give or take a few hours,” Vinyl said with a joking tone. “But sure, no pranks Your Queeny... I mean, Your Highness."

“You are a little too brave for your own good and lack respect for your elders.” She patted the top of Vinyl’s head. “Prove yourself useful and lead me to Fluttershy’s grave.”

“Her grave, why?”

“To give my respect to a fallen foe.”

Canterlot, once a cultural center of Equestria now felt abandoned, not a single soul in sight between the train station and the castle.

The only noise was rustling leaves under the wind and firm steps of proud purebloods. Large bat-like wings and fangs were displayed under the light of stars and the moon.

The powerful elite walked towards the castle with a thousand thestrals waiting for their command. A mix of turned unicorns and earth ponies, all keeping their distance from the castle as instructed.

An army of turned pegasi flew above the castle, observing the movements of the guards while ready to strike.

Royal and Crystal Guards in the thousands formed a ring around the castle with a large opening at the entrance.

Moon Shadow glanced at the approaching scouting party, a group of five pegasi thestrals wearing dark blue armor, well camouflaged to blend into the night. Similar to the armor of the Royal Guard, but thicker and a bit heavier. Metal claws were attached to their shoes and sharp blades on the leading edge of their wings.

“My Lord!” He bowed respectfully.

“Speak.”

He saluted. “Both the princess and empress are in the throne room, unguarded. Their armies are gathered nearby, keeping their distance from the castle.”

“Any enemy reinforcements nearby?” Moon Shadow asked, wondering if the enemy had kept a well hidden reserve.

“No reinforcements, My Lord. Their entire force is here.” He took a quick breath. “We scouted airships and chariots among their ranks, most likely to keep their ground force mobile.”

Moon Shadow looked at his followers and asked, “Do our armies have enough airships and chariots to intercept, should their guard move to Ponyville?”

“Yes, Lord Moon Shadow. They are too close to leave undetected. If they try, blood will rain.”

He smirked, closing his eyes. It was well known among his kind that blood-hypnosis allowed even a young pureblood to control their prey. Sending their own blood into a pony to manipulate their will at distance. For centuries, he kept such ponies in the ranks of Monster Hunters, as only purebloods could detect blood-control.

Now was the time to use his enemies for one last time. With both alicorns and the enemy army gathered in Canterlot, nothing can stand in the way of showing our queen what ponies really think of our kind.

With orders sent, he glanced at Fleur de Lis who was walking by his side, once again in great shape.

“You should be smiling. Today we will write history for the generations to come.”

Fleur looked away and frowned. She knew that there was a chance she would one day need to raise her hoof against Celestia, but she didn’t like it in the least.

“If you are thinking about informing Nightmare Moon of my campaign, I would suggest abandoning such hopes.” He grinned, satisfied by the glare he received in response. “I predicted such a move from your side and had all of your clan's messengers imprisoned.”

“She will find out about your transgression and punish you,” Fleur said venomously with narrowed eyes. “You are just delaying the inevitable.”

Moon Shadow shook his head. “I could not care less if she punishes me or not. Hesitation was our downfall in the past, and I will not allow it to stop us again.” He chuckled. “Besides, after I show our would-be queen the worst of ponykind, she will support my campaign instead of trying to stop it.”

Fleur stomped, driving her forehoof into the cobblestone street several centimeters and sending cracks spidering out across the well-maintained road. She removed her hoof from the new hole, shaking the dust and debris from it.

“I knew you would hate me, considering the steps I had to take to ensure my unquestionable leadership. I am not proud of my actions, yet I cannot afford to hesitate or waste time like our future queen did.” He raised Fleur’s chin with a hoof and looked her deeply in the eyes. “I would suggest that you redirect your anger towards Celestia for your son’s sake.”

She slapped the hoof away and took a deep calming breath. Her plan to inform the two-faced princess had failed, and all that was left was to hope that Nightmare Moon wouldn’t be fooled by whatever Moon Shadow was planning.