• Published 27th Mar 2016
  • 5,789 Views, 526 Comments

The Ever Changing Moon - CommanderX5



The return of Nightmare Moon is coming, and with thestrals on her side, the Elements may not be enough. Now the fate of Equestria rests in the hooves of a young pureblood thestral, Fluttershy and the friends she made.

  • ...
15
 526
 5,789

Prologue

The Ever Changing Moon

-

Prologue


Curiosity and panic filled Twilight Sparkle as she trotted through a long hallway, wearing a saddlebag with her cutie mark inscribed on it while carrying Spike on her back. Her destination was the bedchamber of her dearest mentor.

Many thoughts and ideas crossed her mind as she glanced at the books and notepads surrounding her, wondering if the Princess had summoned her to discuss the upcoming Summer Sun Celebration. Maybe it was going to be a task of even greater importance, a chance to put her knowledge and magical potential to use. Surely the guard wouldn’t say; ‘Her Highness Princess Celestia is summoning you to discuss matters of great importance’ if it was going to be just another magic lesson. She couldn’t afford to be unprepared.

Twilight felt excitement pouring into the mix as a large smile formed on her face. Whatever task awaited her, she knew she was going to ace it.

“Ummm… Twilight,” Spike called, awaking her from her deep thoughts.

“Yes, Spike?”

“I don’t want to ruin your mood or anything, but I get the feeling that we’re gonna be hearing some bad news.”

“Bad news? What gave you that idea?” Twilight asked, looking away from her notes.

“I dunno…” Spike shrugged. “Maybe the fact that we passed at least five times the number of guard patrols we usually do. Maybe the fact that besides the guard, Canterlot’s streets are empty. Or perhaps the panicked maids and servants running around with bags on their backs seems to be a bit odd.”

Twilight rubbed her chin for a moment and glanced around before resuming her course. “They were? I’m sorry Spike, I wasn't paying attention.”

“But… but…” Spike kept his mouth open for a few seconds before closing it and massaging his forehead. He sighed and perched his head against Twilight’s soft mane.

Four unicorn guards saluted as they opened the door and stepped to the side. With but a quick glance, Twilight noticed that the tip of each spear was made of silver rather than the usual steel. A few small magical runes indicated their weapons and armor were enchanted to withstand more hits.

Maybe Spike’s right about something being up. The Princess had never felt the need for such security measures, Twilight thought before entering the bedchamber. Her attention focused on the tall alicorn sitting on the balcony.

“Your Highness, your student has arrived, as requested,” the guard called before closing the door.

Twilight half-bowed while Spike jumped from her back and followed her example, their heads lowered respectfully.

“My dearest student, it is always so nice to see you,” Princess Celestia said, walking from the balcony towards her bed. “There’s no need for formalities and we have much to discuss.”

Twilight stood up to her full height, quickly noticing a teacup levitating in her direction surrounded in a golden aura. Her horn lit as she took the cup with her magic. She could see her mentor making herself comfortable on her large bed while levitating her golden regalia to the side.

“Please make yourself comfortable,” Celestia said, levitating over two large pillows onto the carpeted floor.

Twilight nodded before approaching a nearby desk, placing her teacup on it while perching herself on a pillow. Spike did the same, sitting by her side.

Awaiting patiently for her mentor to speak to her, she took a moment to look around. There had been many remodeling attempts over the years devoted to fulfilling the need for a room of just the right size for the Princess of the Sun. Carefully arranged throughout the room were the most insightful works of art Equestria had seen, ranging from a faded oil painting of an ancient armored stallion to a childish scribble lovingly placed in a glass-covered frame enchanted with the most powerful preservative spell Twilight knew.

Thick oak bookshelves took up most of the wall space, crafted by a family of earth ponies over the course of centuries. Placed into those shelves in neat rows were books of history, philosophy and poetry that could bring tears to the driest eye and music to the roughest voice, each a beloved gift from one of her ponies throughout the years.

Even the bed seemed to shift throughout the ages as generations of the finest artisans devoted their time to creating the perfect resting place for their princess. The huge blue pillows that she and Spike were now seated on were softer than any cloud and sported golden embroidery in swoops and swirls, creating a perfect harmony with the star-strewn sheets on the bed, lit in the blaze of sunlight that poured through her open balcony.

Twilight took a quick glance at the violet rug covering most of the floor before looking back at her mentor, who had just finished taking another slow sip from her teacup.

“Twilight, my most faithful student,” Celestia said, placing her teacup on the nearby desk, smiling softly with a hint of sadness. “Do you remember the day I took you under my tutelage?”

Twilight nodded.

“You passed all written exams and practical tests perfectly. Your spot in the School for Gifted Unicorns was guaranteed. The final test where your task was to hatch a dragon egg was a test of character. No teacher expected you to actually succeed.”

Twilight nodded again. Over the years under princess’s care, she’d learnt more about the schooling system.

“During your entrance exam where you displayed your talent and outstanding power, an unheard of phenomenon took place.”

“The Sonic Rainboom?” Twilight asked.

Celestia nodded before continuing her story, “The Sonic Rainboom was responsible for unleashing your hidden potential. I am more than certain that you would have unleashed it sooner or later on your own, however…” She sighed and slightly lowered her head. “If not for this very event, I am unsure if I would have noticed your talent and decided to take you as my student.”

Twilight rubbed her foreleg nervously. Knowing that her dream becoming true was the result of a single event was making her wonder how different her life would have been without it.

“I will be honest with you. That Sonic Rainboom was indirectly caused by the artifacts I once wielded, The Elements of Harmony. Aside from your talent, I took you as my student with hope that one day you too would wield them for the greater good.”

Twilight nearly lost her balance on the pillow before as only one word escaped her mouth, “What?” Spike looked between her and the princess while rubbing the top of his head, deep in thought.

“I understand it must be difficult to take in, and for that I apologize.” Celestia smiled warmly and waved her forehoof. “However, I swear as the Princess of the Sun, that I have not been teaching you for this sole purpose. Over the years, I have grown attached to you. I saw great potential within you and wished to nurture it, possible Element Bearer or not.”

Twilight took a deep calming breath and reasserted herself before noticing two books levitating in her direction. One titled as ‘The Tale of Nightmare Moon’, while another was ‘The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide.’ She glanced at each book before they were placed on a nearby desk.

“What are those?”

Celestia spoke in a somber tone, “It is a prophecy of my sister’s return.” Twilight and Spike gasped, the history books never mentioned that the Princess had a sister. “I was planning to place it in the library for you to find. You would then most likely warn me. I would then disregard your warning and send you to Ponyville to make friends, where the Guide to the Elements would be awaiting in the local library. The Elements chose their bearers, so I had no doubt they would guide you and other candidates in mysterious ways, just like they did with my sister and me.”

She looked to the side, not daring to look her student in the eye. “I was hoping you and the other bearers would use those artifacts to save my sister from her corruption. However, due to unforseen circumstances I was forced to abandon this plan a year ago.”

“What do you mean?” Spike asked, raising his hand. “Are you saying you planned to use Twilight to save your sister, sending her to Ponyville without any knowledge but hints? Like a pawn in some sort of game?” He stopped talking upon seeing Twilight’s disapproving glare.

Celestia nodded. “Nightmare Moon hates only me, so I believed she would never attack residents of Ponyville out of malice, not being aware that among them were the Element Bearers. This plan was my best hope to save my sister without harming her.”

She took a slow breath and looked at her confused student. “Your mission, should you have chosen to accept it, would be to oversee the Summer Sun Celebration. I would ensure that other candidates chosen by the Elements would meet you. I had the greatest confidence you would lead them to victory, becoming their friends on your own free-will. However, if your friendship was forced, the Elements would not respond. I am truly sorry for planning to deceive you.”

Twilight smiled softly. “You have nothing to apologize for, Princess. You taught me and took care of me for years. If I could help to save your sister from corruption, even by being manipulated, I would do so without hesitation.”

“Thank you,” Celestia said with a forced smile before her ears drooped, her mask breaking as she displayed depression. “The reason why I am telling you all of this is because the situation had changed.”

“Changed, how?” Twilight asked, looking at the princess in concern. Never before she had seen Celestia in such a state, no longer the perfect and powerful ruler filled with confidence. “I can still try to find those artifacts and–” she was silenced by her mentor’s hoof.

“You will not for two reasons, my faithful student. Fluttershy, the candidate for the Element of Kindness is… no longer among us.”

Twilight felt like there was a battlefield in her stomach. Her ears drooped.

“Fluttershy’s funeral took place a year and a half ago. Even if the Elements found a suitable replacement, I am not willing to take such a gamble.”

Spike stood from his pillow and looked the princess in the eyes. He asked, “And the other reason?”

Celestia glanced at the balcony before looking back at her student. “Before I answer that, allow me to ask you a question.” Twilight nodded. “How much have you learned about thestrals over the years?”

Twilight cleared her throat and spoke, “Not much, Princess. Finding information regarding thestrals wasn’t easy as the only lead I had were two thestral guards loyal to you. They told me bits of information about themselves and their abilities, even allowing an experiment or two. Unfortunately, they always refused to speak about purebloods, even those responsible for their transformation.”

Celestia nodded before stepping off from her bed and spreading her large wings, now towering over her student. “Purebloods are low in number, but powerful, having mastered the use of dark magic. Their power grows with age and they possess the ability to turn ponies, griffins and other races. Ponies turned by them are generally called thestrals or vamponies.”

Twilight nodded eagerly, her eyes pleading to be filled with knowledge. Spike on the other hoof started biting his claws nervously, looking around at the shadows in fear.

“The relationship between the thestrals and other races has always been tense, their dark power and need to drink blood being viewed as dangerous and immoral. A pureblood’s ability to transform and control others was seen as a threat.” She took a slow breath. “Despite my sister’s efforts to show that thestrals can be a mighty ally to all of Equestria, the civil war was only a matter of time.”

Celestia glanced away from her student as she faced a dilemma. She rarely shared her past with her subjects, especially when it involved wars or defeated evils. More than once she had considered sharing her experiences with her student, but wasn’t sure Twilight was ready to learn about the darker part of Equestria’s history.

“After we failed to come up with a compromise, my sister took the thestrals’ side, transforming into the being known as Nightmare Moon. I tried to use the Elements myself to cleanse her from the corruption, but since I did not represent all six Elements, I sealed her in the moon instead.” A tear was sliding down on her face despite her efforts to keep a serious facade. “Sealing her in the moon was not my intention, but as much as I would like to, I cannot change the past.”

Twilight rubbed her chin as she tried to put the puzzle together. “Are you afraid that after your sister returns, she and the thestrals will start a civil war?”

Celestia nodded before levitating over a rolled scroll. “I cannot be certain, but I suspect that at least two pureblood thestrals are on my side, providing me with information and warnings.” She levitated the scroll onto the bed and lowered her head, her wings dropping a moment later. “If what their warning says is true, then the return of my sister is the least we have to worry about.”

Twilight yelped in surprise as she was grabbed by the large wings of her mentor and pulled into a tight hug. She felt tears dropping onto her head as Spike was pulled into the embrace, as there was more than enough space for both of them between two large wings and soft alicorn’s belly.

“Twilight, whatever happens from now on, remember that I care a great deal about you, and I treasure the years we’ve spent together. You’ve been the best student I could wish for.”

Twilight felt conflicted. For years she worked hard to make her mentor both happy and proud. Any praise she received from the princess was like a priceless treasure. Normally, she would be thrilled upon hearing such praise from her mentor… if not for the fact that the situation was so… grim. It felt so much like she was saying her last goodbyes.

“And you too, Spike, I appreciate your efforts to help Twilight with her studies. You were always diligent and very mature for your age, and for that I am proud of you.”

“T-thanks…” Spike responded, his voice muffled by the alicorn’s soft fur.

After being released, Twilight could see her mighty mentor looking down at her with a warm smile. “Twilight, I have a very important task to ask of you.”

“Y-yes… Princess?”

“Do everything in your power to keep Ponyville from rebelling against Nightmare Moon.”

Twilight blinked in confusion. She had been ready for everything… but had never expected that.

“According to the prophecy, my sister shall return after one thousand years of banishment. Her escape aided by the stars on the night of the thousandth year, and such an event is but two days away.” She glanced at the doors, which were heavily guarded from the other side. “I doubt even Nightmare Moon would dare to attack the capital without an army, and Ponyville is the closest town for her to announce her return.”

She took a deep breath and added, “Do not let the citizens of Ponyville anger her. Get on her good side. If she decides to take this little town under her wing, you and the town’s residents will be safe.”

Twilight couldn’t say a word, now speechless.

Spike walked towards the balcony and pointed outside before asking, “So this is why Canterlot is filled with guards and nothing else? You ordered an evacuation.”

Celestia approached. “I did. Didn’t you notice almost everypony leaving earlier?”

Spike crossed his arms and grinned. “I did, but Twilight was too busy with her books to even notice.”

Celestia chuckled before tickling the muzzle of her stunned student with a tip of her wing. “She does tend to get distracted by her studies very easily. I am counting on you to be the voice of reason when this happens.”

“You can count on me,” Spike said, poking his chest proudly.

Twilight sneezed before turning towards her mentor, now recovered from her shock. “You want me… to help the enemy?!”

Celestia raised an eyebrow. “The term; ‘enemy’ is quite subjective in this case.”

“But… but…”

“I have already instructed a few guards to help your family move to Ponyville to and settle in the local library. They should be ready to depart in a few hours. Your brother will stay in Canterlot to lead the Royal Guard and assist me, alongside Empress Cadence who has brought part of the Crystal Guard with her, but if my plan works there will be no need for them to fight.”

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked. The only way they wouldn’t need to fight would be if the Princess surrendered… or faced the enemy herself. Her throat quickly became dry while the battle in her belly turned into a full scale war. Please... let it not mean what I think it means.