• Published 15th Jun 2012
  • 9,645 Views, 236 Comments

Skeletons of the Past - Sturrn

  • ...
15
 236
 9,645

Visions of the Past

Chapter Nine
Visions of the Past

This Chapter is pending a re-write.

The dreamscape never came, I was swept straight to the point in Rorke’s memory where it was interrupted by Celestia. Solaron was standing in the doorway as Rorke inched his way out of bed... without any pants on. A few moments passed as his lack of pants became more apparent to his friend. “Solaron, I know you have something else to do besides waking me up early and staring.” The anubite smiled nervously and closed the door as he walked away. Surprisingly, the girl in bed didn’t wake up or move at all.


Rorke shuffled over to the closet on the other side of the bed as soon as the door closed. ‘That wasn’t nearly as awkward as I thought it would be.’ Opening the closet revealed a stand with a set of chainmail on it, and some very familiar sand colored robes. A couple minutes passed and Rorke was armored in the same exact way I’m used too. He reached back into the closet before closing it and pulled out his axe staff and walked out of the door. He met Solaron in the next room and they proceeded out of the house.


“So what has you staring at my clothed areas this fine morning?” Rorke said once they began their walk along the street.


“Y-yeah um...” Rorke continued walking as his friend just stuttered along trying to compose a sentence.


It took a couple minutes but he finally snapped out of his mental stupor and exclaimed loudly. “We have to go to the temple Rorke, RIGHT NOW!!”


My predecessor spun his head around and gazed at him with zeal in his eyes. “Why was this not said immediately, we must run and you can tell me along the way.”


They both began to run along the streets. You would think that it would be hard to maneuver among all the people right? I didn’t see a single soul pass by and neither did they as the scenery zoomed away behind them. “Tell me what has happened, and why did you not alert me earlier. This is no time for games.”


“Of course, around midday a fight broke out among the priesthood in the main temple complex. Normally this would be quashed as you know, but not this time. This time was far dire, a full half of the priests in the complex rose against their brothers.” He sighed just loud enough to be heard through the wind as they ran at top speed toward the temple. “Rorke, they had weapons, armor, and surprise. Many Sand Priests fought valiantly but they were decimated.”


I couldn’t tell if it was Rorke who was shaking or me ,but I felt what I assumed was nauseousness just thinking of the betrayal brought forth by his brothers. His eyes shifted and his grip on the axe tightened. “My friend please tell me... How many have perished? How many have fallen to stay the flow of heresy?”


Solaron had tears seeping from his eyes as they ran on, a huge building I could only assume was the temple coming into focus. “More than a hundred Sand Priest have fallen, nearly all of the scribes were killed.” Rorke turned his head and slowed down as his friend opened the floodgates. “My brothers... My friends... My family... They were all murdered down to the dregs. I only live because Esoran threw himself upon a sword, that I might have a chance at escaping.” He finally stopped running and collapsed to the ground in sobs, the full weight of the situation taking effect.


Rorke stopped as well and brought himself down to his compatriots level. “Solaron, I can see you pain, I know how it must hurt but we have to keep going and that means you too. We will lick our wounds and grieve when this is over. Now please tell me more.” He helped his still shaken friend to his feet and they started off again at a fast walking pace.


“Only four other scribes made it out of the libram, of those four only I was able to move of my own volition. Your Holiness, there is something you must know however. The council was in session during this attack.” Just at the mention of ‘The Council’ Rorke picked up a bit of speed and Solaron matched it, now in control of his emotions though the occasional tear still slid past him. “Many Councillors were killed by the guards that were sworn to protect them.”


“How many fell to heretic blades?” Rorke asked in a distraught manner.


“Many, the Fero himself was gravely injured but escaped death with the aid of a handful of escaping priests. The corruption runs deep however, High Priest Moroes leads those that have swayed from the path. No one knows what he is doing but it can’t be allowed to pass.” As soon as he finished they arrived outside the massive structure that could only be the temple complex. Several anubites were milling around like they had been waiting for something, while others guarded the sealed temple doors. All in all there couldn’t have been more than a few hundred there.


One of the milling anubites came toward the pair as they spoke. “Solaron, the Fero wishes to speak to you both immediately. Do you need me to guide you there?”


They both nodded and within a couple minutes had passed several hastily set up tents, with many injured anubites in them being treated by white robed nurses and doctors. They approached one particular that seemed to be larger, the door flanked by a pair of burly anubites with their swords already drawn. One braced his sword and stepped forward. “What business do you have with the Fero?” The surprisingly feminine voiced guard said. She was so musculare I couldn’t tell readily.


Solaron stepped away from his friend and the guide to speak. “I was sent by the Fero himself to bring this Sand Priest to him. We must pass and speak to him.” The pair of guards stared at Solaron and then turned toward Rorke. It was like I could feel them looking past him and directly at me, their gaze held for a few moments before relenting.


“You may pass but know that we are but a moment away from the Fero’s aid.” She turned toward the tent and opened the flap for them. Only Rorke and Solaron entered as their guide walked away.


What was inside the tent could only be described as a train wreck, anubites were coming and going at random. All of them wore the white robes of medical helpers, but nearly all of them were stained red from the blood that seemed to perforate the very air. Solaron looked uneasy but Rorke pressed on toward the center of the room.


At the center were two or three doctors were standing by a white haired anubite with quite a few piercing in his right ear that was talking to them as he lay on a table. When my body got closer to the center I could hear the conversation but it ended as soon as the wounded anubite saw Rorke coming. Rorke kneeled to the canine but he waved it off. “Please no bowing or acknowledgement of that kind Sand Priest, I have urgent news for you and your friend throwing up in the bucket.” Rorke turned around and sure enough the scribe was evacuating his stomach contents into a bucket.


“Solar’ bring your bucket over here, the Fero requires your presence.” The sickened dog hobbled over with the bucket in hand. ‘I can’t really blame him for puking, the floor is covered in blood and the air tastes like iron.’


“Good” The Fero started. “Now as you can guess, my time in the earthly kingdoms is nearing its end. I wish to discuss things for the future of all my people.”


“Please great one, do not think like that. You are in the finest care and it seems like you weren't injured beyond help.” Solaron reasoned with a smile posted right above his bucket.


The Fero smiled as well and began talking but was cut off by the beginning a coughing fit that completely washed the bandages around his stomach with blood. Once settled he began talking again, Rorke was tense and Solaron just stared. “As you can see that may not be the case. The High Priest himself attacked me, specifically with a jagged Ajax mandible. One of the doctors said that I’m missing too much of my body to even make it through the next few hours. So they deadened my pain and began to help others.”


The two looked aghast. I felt a pang of hurt in my heart for the anubite I didn’t even know. ‘He talks about his own life like it was just a passage.’


“We mustn’t focus on that though, what I have to tell you Rorke is of the gravest of importance. This concerns the entire mass that is our empire and its’ future. Listen close, I don’t know how much time I have to talk.” He leaned closer to the fallen royal.


“During the council meeting Moroes was telling us of a plan that would stop the Ajax once and for all. That they would never be a problem again. Tell me do you know of the history behind our city, behind Ironpillar?”


Rorke spoke before Solaron had a chance to. “Yes, every priest must know what they stand for.”


“Then please, tell me the history of Ironpillar.” The leader folded his hands across blood soaked bandages.


“Is this necessary Fero?” He nodded much to Rorke’s chagrin. “Very well then, it started when the desert was young and still in its infancy. The world heaved with growing pains and the woven focus of magic underneath the desert broke though. The ley line poured unparalleled amounts of magic over our land and though the magic of the world along with the grace of the gods we gained our lives to live.” Solaron seemed content to listen to the history lesson, the Fero nodded at certain points of the story, and I was enjoying the backstory of my new race.


He continued on. “The world couldn’t handle the ley line being exposed, an open sore that festered with magic. The priesthood of old prayed to the gods for an answer, for some way to stabilize the opening or close it, if that was what was called for. The answer came to Fero Ziom in a vision sent to him by Amun’Ra. He told him to gather all the metals of resource and construct a great pillar to hold the line stable, it took two years of unrelenting work but the great construct was finished and placed inside the line. After the pillar was secure Amun’Ra sent Ziom another vision, this time a prophecy. Should the pillar ever be removed from the line it would unleash magics that would scour the world of life. So he built the temple complex on top of the pillar and charged the priesthood with protecting it at all cost. The city was renamed Ironpillar and the construct was never seen after the temple's completion.” Rorke took a big breath and sighed before looking to the Fero for an explanation as to why he had to go through a history lesson, when the temple was in heretic possession.


“Well let me give you some information that has been secreted away for a long time. It’s time for the knowledge to become known.” The Fero took a shallow breath seeing as most of his guts were missing. “When Ziom built the temple, he didn’t wish to lose the only thing that had left the anubites with a direct connection to the gods. To solve this dilemma he built the temple so that one room would have the top of the pillar being used as a floor but this was too noticeable. He had a large brazier made and placed on top of the pillar.” The pair of anubites’ eyes grew large as realization hit them. “You know the brazier as the ‘gem forge’. It doesn’t actually make the gems you see, it just carves into their essence making them able to hold much more magic but still retain their size. Enough of that though, know that you know the truth I can tell you what Moroes is planning.”


The pair sat enraptured by the Fero’s tale as did others in the tent, a few were even leaning in just to listen a bit better. “Moroes proposed we use the power in the pillar to aid us in our fight against the Ajax. That we raise the pillar up to temple level, using the power of the line being channeled through it to send a wave of backlashing magic toward the main Ajax hive.” Hushed whispers could be heard as he continued. “Everyone on the council strongly disagreed with this plan, not just on religious grounds but on feasibility ones as well. Once he had a vote of disagreement from every single council member he revealed his deceit. Armed and armored priests swarmed into the room and began cutting anubites down immediately. Rorke understand this, we are facing threats from within and out.”


Everyone in the tent that wasn’t actively saving lives or couldn’t move was huddled in a circle around the three. “Young sand priest, I was only twenty three when I took this crown from my father and though I may not know you, but it brings me great pleasure in passing my crown on to you. My hope is that you will lead our people in these tumultuous times.” There was a room wide gasp and Rorke stood there gaping my wide open.


A minute passed in silence as everyone present absorbed the info. After that the silence was broken by Solaron. “But Fero Anu, what of your daughter? Will she not be outraged that you are effectively robbing her of the crown?”


The old jackal smiled even as his death came closer with every second. “Sand Priest, do you remember little more than a week ago in the market, a thief had taken a young female’s coin pouch?” A nod was given. “My daughter seems to enjoy running away from her guards and walking about in simple disguises, through the market place.”


“But what if someone recognized her and wished her harm! Why would she run from her protectors?” Solaron blurted out almost without thought.


Anu chuckled at his outburst before explaining. “She doesn’t think I know but I have always known. She wanted freedom that the royal life could never give her. My people would view her as more an object than a living being, so I told the guards attached to her to leave convenient slips in their patterns, and if they did discover her they would only give token attempt to follow her.”


“What of her protection?” Rorke said. “Surely you do not just leave her undefended, with only the shield of anonymity for protection?”


“Yes I agree, what of her safety?” Solaron chimed in.


The dying dog smiled. “That is what I have the Vigilante for. A single Vigil will disguise themselves and trail my daughter with complete discreteness. Until that day, not a single problem had arisen. The Vigil that was trailing her was eating a slice of Cozo cacti little more than ten feet away from her when the thief swooped in and out. He dropped his food and bolted toward the thief but a merchant cart moved into his path before he could stop. He was too far behind to chase him but you.” He pointed at Rorke. “You stopped the thief swiftly and without undue aggression.”


“But Great Anu, what does this all mean?” Rorke questioned as Solaron nodded in agreement.


“I’m glad you ask, it allows me to cut to the point. There is no time to spare on frivolous things. ‘What? Are you serious, you just spent the last fifteen minutes getting a history lesson and talking about your daughter! That’s the highest step on frivolousness!’


It seems that my predecessor and his friend shared my sentiments because their faces reeked of ‘Are you serious?’ but the Fero didn’t seem to care as he went on to describe his plan for the kingdom.


“You see Rorke, my daughter has very adamantly explained that she will not accept the crown should I die or be unable to rule. Before this” He pointed to his now leaking bandages. “happened she told me to look to the priesthood. She told me to look for one that could stand against the darkness that is encroaching on our kingdom, one that exemplifies all that is our people and our faith. Although not in such words, but after she got home and inadvertently told me of you I searched out the nameless priest that could lead our people. I asked the other priests for someone of uncompromising devotion and character to protect our people.”


He took a shallow breath a few times throughout the explanation as well as afterwards before continuing on. “Your name, Sand Priest, came up every single time. You also matched the description of the one who saved my daughter’s money, and after learning your name I safeguarded your name until I would be unable to lead. You can plainly see that now, is that time. Scribe, please venture to the other side of this table and retrieve my crown.”


Rorke looked at his friend as he mouthed words without sound. “Please Scribe Solaron, it is fully acceptable to touch my crown I assure you. After all you’re going to be a Keeper of Knowledge. “ He said with a weak smile that almost forecasted that he would die any minute.


“But Great One, am I truly worthy of such an honor?” He asked.


“As far as I know,” He looked behind them toward a blood covered nurse who shook her head. “I’m afraid you are the only scribe left, you will have to rebuild from the very ground up now the crown please.” The scribe scrambled to the other side and leaned down to grab the crown before presenting it to the royal as he began to sit up. The effort seemed to pain him greatly even with the medicine they gave him, he also seemed to lose a great deal of blood in the process.


He finally brought himself to the sitting position as Solaron returned to take a knee next to Rorke. The Fero began to stand but looked greatly pained by the act as blood was flowing in increased amounts. “Please Great One” Rorke reached out a hand but it was swatted away by the now elevated anubite. “standing is truly unnecessary.”


“No, it is necessary. I will stand till you accept your responsibilities to your people.” He brought the crown around to his front. “Rorke please rise.” He stood up but kept his head inclined downward. “With these victims of tragedy and the gods as my witness, I dissolve the two ruling bodies of Ironpillar and task you with ending this heresy and leading our people to brighter days. Will you accept this crown with all the weight that it may bear upon you?” The Fero brought the crown that could only be the one I had gotten from Celestia.


“Yes, I accept the burden that you would bestow upon me.”


The crown was lowered upon his head and the Fero collapsed onto the table in near death. He reached up with a shaky hand and grabbed the robes that Rorke had clad himself in earlier. “Fero Chardstone, you must stop the priests and avenge the fallen, it’s imperative that you not allow them to raise the pillar and carry out Moroes’ plan. Please will you do this?” The dying former ruler pleaded.


“Until my dying breath I will pursue them and bring retribution for their actions this day.” The old dog seemed to take solace in those words as he layed back down on the table much paler than he had been earlier. “Solaron, please gather the remaining priests and have them stage in front of the western entrance to the complex. I’ll address them once I’m done here.” The pack that had the three surrounded silently parted so Solaron could get through.


“Where is your daughter?” Rorke asked solemnly.


The former Fero didn’t answer but just laid on his table, breathing shallowly as the new one gripped his hand. Several minutes passed like this until the light behind Anu’s eyes flickered out and closed. ‘I couldn’t have possibly known him but a great leader passed from the world that day. I wonder if there are any burial rites that Rorke will have to perform.’


Rorke closed his eyes and bowed his head to the dead anubite before looking around the room and seeing everyone's eyes were focused on him.


He composed himself for a moment as he walked out of the tent and saw Solaron running toward him. “Fero Chardstone-”


“Please, just don’t. I don’t want to be called your holiness, Great One, or any other gods forsaken honorifics.” Rorke spat angrily. “Our leader has just died and left me with the task of keeping the empire together, and my very first act as Fero is to stop a heresy the size of which has never taken place in anubite history. I will be taking the the High Priest’s gauntlet and bringing both crowns under a single banner. This will never happen again as long as I live.”


“I’m sorry Stone, I knew this would hit you hard but I should have accommodated for the change slower.” The scribe lamented sadly.


“No that was my fault, I shouldn’t have lashed out at you. Are my brothers assembled at the eastern temple steps?”


“Of course, I would highly recommend telling them what has happened and getting them ready for battle. Speaking of which, is that-”


“Yes it is” Rorke interrupted. “I chose the eastern side for many reasons, but something to remind the priests of what they fight for is needed. We will push toward the archives and pray that the heretics haven't gotten in somehow. Then onward to the gem forge before Moroes raises the pillar.” With that done the pair ran toward the eastern steps with blade axe and crown in singular possession.


‘This is memory is so entrancing, I’ve hardly even thought to myself for a while beyond the Fero dying.’


The scribe and newly appointed leader made their way to the steps. The onlooking doctors and nurses bowed their heads in sadness as the two passed the white tents. They ran for a while until a large gathering of robed anubites with weapons came into view, with one in particular running towards them.


“Rorke, what has happened? Why are you wearing the Fero’s crown?” She questioned before getting snippy and punchy Rorke in the arm slightly. “Why did you leave me in bed if this was going on? You do realize that the priestess’ and I are more than willing to fight?”


The new Fero looked like he had just gotten scolded by his mother before attempting a rebuttal. “A heresy is taking place with High Priest Moroes at its heart. He attacked the council and slaughtered many in it. The Fero barely made it out alive but was wounded beyond aid, after being told he had less than hours left he sent Solaron to find me. We both went to the Fero and he told me to stop this the heresy and lead our people. As for leaving you behind and the priestess’, I just learned of what was happening less than an hour ago. So Galina please listen carefully.”


He detailed a new plan that would have the priestess splitting into three groups and attacking the other three entrances to the temple. Since none of the priestess were swept up in the heresy they were still at a full strength of almost 1000 warriors. Another anubite came to the group and told them that advancing into the halls was impossible at the moment. The heretics had stationed archers and would shoot any that tried to get through the door.


“That could pose a serious problem to entering the complex.” Solaron said with as much wisdom as he could grasp with such a simple sentence.


“Not at all, we’ll simply improvise.” Rorke looked around and saw a few few wooden market stalls standing unoccupied. He ran over to them an pried the long wooden panels out. Thinking fast he sprung to a nearby cart and grabbed a bit of rope and tied it to wooden panel for a hand hold. ‘And just like that, Rorke invented the first riot shield in history.’


“Construct four of these for each entryway and then we’ll move in. Stand in a wall formation and have the other warriors march behind them as we move forward. This should provide more than ample protection for our needs.” He handed makeshift shield to the random priest as he carried out the orders with a few others. A few others ran off to tell the priestess groups of the shield plans.


The three anubites sat on the steps as the few hundred below them prepared to fight. “What will you do when we find Moroes, Rorke?” Galina asked.


“I will bring him to his knees and if he repents then a swift death will be his reward, if he doesn’t repent then a swift death would be the only thing he could wish for. If he does raise the pillar... I don’t know what I’ll do.”


“I meant more along the path of who will be High Priest. Since you’re the Fero know you can’t do both.” She posed.


“Who says I can’t?” The priest rose to his feet. “Fero Anu searched the priesthood for devout faith and uncompromising character that would stand against the darkness. He chose me and with his dying words did he dissolve his lineage of ruling and placed me as the crown’s charge to lead on. I will kill the traitor and combine the duties of both rulers as one.”


The priestess looked like she was just slapped but his friend had an approving notion about him. “B-b-b-but you can’t do that!” She shouted looking up at him. “It has never been done as long as the anubites have existed!”



“And where is it written that I can’t?” His simple rebuttal destroyed her argument in less than two seconds, but as he sat back down an elaborately dressed anubite, with a sword covered in so many gems that it would have been impossible to use in combat came forward. Immediately Rorke’s grip on his bladespear tightened in anticipation.


“Excuse me young Chardstone-” He started only to get cut short by Galina.


“It’s Fero Chardstone now.” Rorke glared at her just as he did with Solaron but he took over the conversation anyway.


“I’m sorry for that interruption, please continue.”


“Yes well, I was overhearing your conversation and from your friend’s insistence, I would take it that you ARE in fact the new Fero, correct?” A nod was all that was needed. I some information if you would like it.” Rorke stood up and descended a couple steps to get face to face with the dog. “You realize that you won’t ever be High Priest and Fero at the same time correct?”


Rorke snarled and poked him in the chest with a sharp claw. “I will tell you and anyone else who says the same, show me a single scrap of writing that says I can’t and I’ll stand down.”



He donned a truly evil smile that reeked of betrayal. “I never said you can’t be, I said you won’t be.”


“That sounds rather heretical in the context.”


“Maybe I am one.” The anubite’s smile was still there as a curved dagger literally dripping with poison came slashing toward Rorke, he jumped back up two steps and thrust his axe like a one handed spear toward the would be assassin. Unfortunately he was fast too as he sidestepped the attack, but he wasn’t ready for the scribe to jump from his sitting position and tackle him. This caused the two to be hurled down the equivalent of congress’ steps straight from the top. They tumbled over each other as they hit step after step leaving the sounds of snapping as they fell.


After a few moments they slammed down at the bottom in front of the gathered priests that just looked on with amazement. Luckily Solaron landed on top of the well dressed assassin. The dog tried to slash him with the knife but in a feat of strength, Solaron bit down on the knife and held it in place as he used his claws to tear the attacker’s throat apart. Galina and Rorke descended the steps to find their friend covered in a spray of blood.


“Solaron, did he get you with that knife!?” Rorke shouted a few steps away while still descending.


He took a knee next to his friend as Solar’ struggled to stand. “No he didn’t but I think falling down all those steps hurt something.” He said as he clutched the left side of his ribcage.


Galina chimed in as she caught up. “Rorke, I think it would be best that you start the assault. I will bring Solaron to the aid stations and catch up with you. Take this bit of flint and start a fire, that was the signal for my warriors to begin.” With that said she leaned Solaron up against her right shoulder and the two began to hobble away, leaving the Fero with the task at hand to bear alone.


‘Things aren’t going to good but you have to give the scribe some credit, he slammed into an armed assassin without a weapon and just fell down a huge set of stairs while still managing to hobble away. Rorke should get going though, its been more than an hour since getting out of bed and that priest is still trying to raise the pillar.’


Rorke walked half way up the steps before turning to the priesthood before him. “Brothers, this day shall stand in the histories of time as one of sacrifice. Moroes, he who should be the greatest of us all has forsaken the light of faith and embraced darker powers. Even now he works to raise the ironpillar that holds our land stable, he wishes to draw the power from the magic beneath us and give it freely to the Ajax. This cannot, this WILL NOT stand!” He slammed his axe on the ground.


“We will storm the temple with our sisters and purge the taint that has so readily taken seed in our land.” He tossed the bit of flint down to a priest below. “Everyone with the shields made from the market stalls will be going in first and be followed immediately by the rest of us. We will fight our way through to the halls of knowledge and then from there into the gem forge. Priest Elmin, please light a fire and get the smoke high. That will be the signal to the priestesses to advance with their forces.”


The anubites looked like they wanted to ask question to learn more but it would probably have to wait. Elmin started gathering a bit more wood for the fire as those with shields began to advance up the steps. The arrow defence took their place in front of the large wooden doors as the others stacked behind them like the cards in a game of solitaire.


Moments later the doors were forced open with Rorke right behind the shields. They advanced as arrows immediately slammed into the makeshift shields en masse. The wooden planks were thick though and held. Rorke shouted above the drum of feet and snap of bowstring. “Not one heretic is to leave, every one of them has fallen far beyond redemption and is to be held accountable to the massacres here.”


The group pushed on until they were a mere twenty feet from the archers that had been desperately trying to shoot them down. The traitor dropped their bows and ran drew their sword and bladespears. “Cut these pathetic loyalist dogs down!” One of them shouted. “They must not interrupt the dark one in his enlightenment!”


“Forward into the light, cut them down!” Rorke shouted as the shields were dropped and the front ranks on both side charge into the fray. Since the hall couldn't have been more than twelve feet wide only about three fighters could fight at a time. It became immediately obvious that even with the weapons and armor the heretics could'nt stand against the loyal priests’ zeal.


‘Nothing really scars your psyche like watching people hack each other to death with blades, up close and personal. Though it is truly sad, seeing brothers kill each other because of one dog’s madness-’ My thoughts were interrupted by a shriek as the first causality of the initial fight lost their life. A loyalist had cut the traitor’s arm off at the shoulder and got him through the neck as he fell. The battle progressed and I could feel my eye ‘twitch’ somehow as I watched the carnage, an arm here and a leg there until the traitors were all dead save for one.


He was being held at the blade point of two priest as Rorke kneeled down and held his head before beginning to talk. “What did Moroes tell that could sway you from the faith, what was promised? Did he affect you somehow? I must know.”


The fallen priest just laughed. “You honestly think that he ‘affected’ me? With what, his honeyed words? No, this fight is of our own volition and everyone of us fights for a purpose you and your pathetic false gods could never understand.” He capped off his rant by spitting on Rorke’s robes as he was executed, taking both normal spears through his neck.


Rorke stood up and turned to the priest behind him. “It is as I predicted, these blasphemous wretches were not controlled or tempted. They truly believe what they do is right, a dark task is ahead of us.” He turned back and the warrior-priests marched on down the long hall. Occasionally they had to clear a room but the defenders were always unprepared and cut down quickly. Eventually the group stopped at a large steel door with a lock on it that two anubites had been trying to break open. They didn’t even scream...


“This is it, the halls of knowledge. Protect this doorway while I’m inside and let no one come inside.” Rorke pulled out the key Solaron must have been talking about. It had a sun not unlike Celestia’s cutiemark emblazoned on the handle, he placed it in lock which popped open immediately and Rorke stepped in quickly before shutting the door. “The knowledge of every Fero before in one place. The greatest weapons and armor made by anubite hands, here for those willing to use them in the defense of those hands.” He finally turned around and I saw a room filled with a LOT of chests, each of them with a unique symbol portrayed on the lid, and all of them locked.


He walked around for a bit but it didn’t take a genius to figure out which chest he was supposed to open. ‘I bet he’s just taking in the feel of the hall, it’s a pretty big deal for his people.’ Eventually he stopped wandering the hall and wasting time that could be used to stop Moroes and found the sun chest. “The history that this armor has seen must be incredible.” With that said he finally placed the key inside the lock and popped it off and opened the chest. The lid flew open and revealed a set of armor that couldn’t be described easily or well. The whole thing was like a personification of anubite death.


The helmet that rested on top of the whole set was made of a silvery metal that I would guess to be titanium like his bladespear. It looked like an anubite skull without the jaw that slipped over the whole head and down the muzzle, complete with intricately designed teeth. On the back of the skull were four turquoise feathers, two one each side. Rorke began to remove his robes, armor, and crown to put the new set one, luckily he was wearing a type of loincloth thing. ‘Joy, I don’t get an eyeful of anubite junk... Wait, if that’s my body just in the past isn’t it technically mine? It’s owned by him but technically it’s mine too, interesting.’


My estranged thoughts on body part ownership ended when Rorke began to place the next piece of armor on his body. A chest piece was a metal scale jerkin but with a thick rib cage attached over it.The scales were colored a dark grey almost black color that made the shiny titanium ribs burst out like a beacon. Once that was slipped on he reached in the chest and pulled a pair of shoulder armor pieces as well as some bracers. The shoulders were simple and plain, the only flair on them were four turquoise feathers on the backside of each of them flared upward.


The bracers were flexible pieces of metal that bent with his hand movements and ended with razor like claws that were just a bit longer than Rorke’s own. ‘Why is he only putting one on?’ He didn’t talk at all as he donned the last two pieces of armor so I couldn’t get an answer. The first of the two looked like the bottom half of my robe. While the last piece was a scabbard and belt with a short curved sword that was between a scimitar and a khopesh placed into it. Rorke seemed to know the sword without even pulling it out to look at it.


He crossed his arms and closed his eyes. “Thank you Amun’Ra, for the protection you offer the land.” He went down on one knee with his eyes still closed. “Thank you Horus, for the means to bring vengeance have been placed in worthy hands.” He brought his leg down and kneeled. “Bastet, Sekhmet, I ask for your blessing in this fight. Protect me that I may lead your people out of this dark hour.” He stood up and began to walk out of the hall, not bothering to reclaim the key or his clothes, only his bladespear.


He walked out of the hall and looked to his priests as they began to whisper on his new armor. They were barely hearable but not impossible as they muttered on. “He’s wearing the aegis of Amun’Ra.” one stunned spoke to another. “The edge of Horus sits on his waist, to carry such relics.” Another began to speak but was cut short by a massive tremor shaking the whole temple, the shaking threw all the priests to the ground in a heap. A few were cut by their axes and swords but they were negligible injuries at best.


Rorke was the first one up however as he began to bolt down the hall, getting closer and closer to the end before the others could even stand. ‘I’m willing to bet that the Ironpillar just broke free of the ground.’ The only thing standing between the Fero and the last door was a single guard. He was trembling as the anubite warrior bared down the hall toward him, he didn’t even try to resist the blade that went through his neck.


He struggled for a moment to heave the large door open but it eventually swung open as the other priests caught up with Rorke. “Please do not run ahead like that, Great One.” He was about to turn and give the dog a verbal lashing for calling him that, when a brown tendril shot forward and wrapped itself around the newly armored priest’s waist. It jerked backward as fast as it came forward, the only noise that came from Rorke was a pained grunt. “Great One!” One of the priest shouted. “We must not let him fall!”


The tendril looked to be made of earth and stone but writhed around his waist like a living creature. My observation time however was limited,as it stopped ripping him through the air and down the long hallway when he flew a doorway and slammed into the ground. “Ahh, thank you for gracing me with your presence Fero though you’re a bit late.” The disembodied voice chortled as Rorke slowly got up, using his axe for leverage as he stood. “Oh my, and you even brought me relics of your false gods that you wish destroyed. This must be an advantageous day for me.”


Rorke turned and gaped at the sight before him. ‘Well that explains the tremor, but it doesn’t take a genius to know that.’ The ‘Ironpillar’ was a smooth, black, obviously metal obelisk and it was HUGE. The thing slammed through the ceiling leaving shafts of light coming through the whole but something was odd. The light seemed to avoid the pillar and abstain from touching it, like doing so would hurt. “Do you like it? The ritual to raise it was costly but I feel it was worth it, after all it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg.” He laughed at his own joke like it was the funniest thing on the planet.


Rorke looked around the room and saw many of his fallen brothers dead, limbs hacked from their bodies at random, the space around Moroes and Moroes himself was drenched in blood. “You monster!” The sand priest charged at his fallen brother axe clutched tightly.


“Pathetic,fine be this way. I’ll be honorable and duel you.” He drew a short wicked dagger with serrations along its’ edge and stood firm. After a moment of running the two weapons met. They began a series of attempts to end the fight but every dagger thrust was stopped and every axe thrust was dodged. Minutes inched past as the two fought and finally Moroes had enough. He yelled something in a language I couldn’t understand as he waved his gemmed gauntlet and a shaft of earth shot out of the ground and slammed into Rorke, he was sent flying several feet away but I was still looking at the gauntlet.


‘So that's what the glove is for, I need to learn how to do that.’ The enraged priest shouted in his unknown language and stone encased Rorke’s hands and feet immediately. His immobilization of the Fero seemed to calm him down a small bit, apparently not enough though as he walked over him and kneeled down. “You sad, sad little whelp. You truly thought to fight me and win? I was greater than before and I’m still greater than you could ever aspire to be.” He caressed Rorke’s muzzle a bit before dragging the jagged knife across it eliciting a yelp. “Oh please that was nothing, I need blood from a champion of the sun god. I’ll show you real pain if you think that was anything.”


He leaned over the subdued warrior and slammed the dagger down into his back twice ripping with the edge on his blade as he pulled it out. It went straight through the scaled metal of his armor. Rorke just screamed as he was stabbed and bled. Moroes got up and walked over to the pillar as he began to speak. “You know, I think you would have been a great servant of the master. He rewards blind devotion like yours, greatly and you have excellent fighting prowess. Had I not been in control of this trinket of the sun god, you might well have beaten me. Never mind that though, you’re probably wondering why I need your blood correct?”


If Rorke had any wish to know he didn’t show it, instead just trying to not scream as the burning in his back that even I could feel slightly ate away at him. ‘Its not really a pain just a hot sensation, I’m sure Rorke would disagree though.’ “Well I’ll tell you anyway” He said. “even if you with you being so uncooperative. You see the Ajax are just a symptom of power. They’re bastards of the master, corrupted blood of his. I am in the process of bringing a true blooded child of the master to this very room. Using the pillar very pillar used to protect us, I’m sending pure power to the Ajax as well and with these two factors I will remake this desert into an oasis.”


My predecessor bit through his pain to reply. “You heretic, you know nothing of what will happen when the Ajax get that power! Our people will not stand for your tyranny when they know you gave the Ajax this power! By the gods I know you will fail.”


Moroes turned to him. “You mean they won’t stand for it even when I’m the only thing holding them back?” He smiled. “I think of the Ajax as an expendable army to use as well as my personal insurance policy for leadership. Know this though, your false gods cannot do anything and will fall soon enough. They can’t even protect themselves.” He said


“Now be quiet as I finish the ritual. Wouldn’t want any mishaps now would we?” He chuckled and began chanting slowly in that unknown language. After seven or so minutes the chanting stopped and a black smoke drifted out of the pillar coalescing into a large shape before fully fleshing out into a horrifying creature. It looked like a carnifex-slash-shade creature and its presence felt like it was burning reality around it. It got worse when it began to talk in a voice like chewed metal.


“You have done great work in bringing my father one step closer to being released.” It said.


Moroes bowed before the monstrosity. “Thank you Great One, I live to serve and would die to further your aims.” The abomination grinned.


“Excellent because I require such a service now.” A black tentacle speared out of the creature and stabbed Moroes through the head obliterating it. Before the body could fall, the tentacle reached out and ripped the gauntlet from his hand and tossed it to Rorke. “You have more devotion than that worm could ever have, take that glove and follow by my side.” It was almost a request but sounded more like an order.


“I am pinned to the ground by that worm’s stonework.” Rorke spat still feeling great pain from his two stab wounds.


“So you are.” Another tentacle out and broke the holds on him as well as helping the anubite to his feet and lifting the gauntlet.


The wounded anubite place the gemmed glove on his left hand that had been lacking a bracer from earlier. Now fully on his feet, he retrieved his bladespear and checked his waist for the sword, it was still there. “Now let us leave this accursed sun god sheep farm and bring the world back under control.” It said as getting closer to the door that would no doubt be smashed open.


“No, you won’t leave this sacred ground alive.” The gravely wounded anubite said.


He pulled the sword out of its scabbard and held his axe in the other hand. The creature turned and growled. “Why must you be so stubborn? So be it, Moroes was of some use and got a quick death. Yours won’t be so quick.” Less than a second passed by before a pair of tentacle shot out and pierced Rorke in the same spots Moroes had, this time going all the way through however. He smashed the dog all over the temple first against the ceiling, then the walls, and finally against the floor stopping only just before he was about to die.


“This is the best challenge your people have? A single wounded mutt who thinks standing against me will be all that is needed to win, disgraceful.” He said as his grip on Rorke pushed him more and more into the stone floor leaving a puddle of blood, a drop of blood in the ocean that has washed into the room. “Even your so-called ‘gods’ couldn’t help you, in their own place of worship and center of power. They are weak and pitiful just like you, your people, and this whole world.” It gloated.


Rorke began to cough blood but managed to form cohesive words. “Please creator, save me. Your people cannot beat this monster alone.”


The beast brought its twisted face close to Rorke’s. “A monster am I? Then call to your gods and hear their answer to your pleas!” He slammed Rorke into the ground again. “I said call to them!”


The anubite writhed in pain but still called to his gods. “Horus, Sekhmet, Bastet please lend me your aid!” The squelching demon just laughed with a sound like he was gargling mouthwash.


“I truly enjoy seeing your faith crushed, call to them again! I wish to see you crushed physically and mentally!” This thing was torturing him and laughing while doing it...


“Please, Amun’Ra, will you not lend me your aid!?” He managed to scream to the heavens even as he was bleeding out.


Before the monstrosity of life could gloat over his victim, a shaft of light slammed into Rorke through the whole in the ceiling along with a voice. “You have called for my aid and YOU SHALL HAVE IT!” The voice called.


The light must have burnt and pained the creature greatly because he ripped his hand back as Rorke began to glow brightly. His wounds shown with pure sunlight as the voice spoke once more. “You have my power, my wings, and my support. Take victory against this beast and I will stop the pillar.” Rorke started to cry as his armor and wounds mended. The silvery titanium turning golden, the turquoise feathers becoming brown, and finally the holes in his armor being repaired as well.


Even just reliving the memory as a dream I could feel the power fill Rorke as well as myself. “You answered.” Rorke muttered.


“Yes but please do not cry, you must be ready to kill just know I will help you.” The voice said no longer out loud but mentally. Rorke nodded his head and grabbed his sword from nearby as the shade creature began to right itself. With eyes aglow with yellow light, wings of fire and feather, as well as a permanent corona resting behind his head the anubite charged forward. The abomination sent a flurry of its’ tentacle spears at the newly empowered dog but where he was fast before, the wings made Rorke even faster.


He jumped into the air and slashed at the giant but was stopped by a set of newly revealed armor-like chitin on his arm. “So, your god actually answered you. Good, I’ll kill you, then his followers, and then I’ll kill him taking all that power for myself.” It said as a tentacle wrapped around Rorke’s waist and threw him across the room and through the stone door Moroes had put up.


He went straight through the rock and came out the other side much to the surprise of all the gathered priests, especially Galina. “Rorke what happened to you!” She shrieked but he never answered as he flew back into the room and began to fight again. He turned just in time to avoid getting spear and putting him right next to his axe. He grabbed the weapon in his right hand and flew back toward his opponent ‘Okay seriously, does this thing even have a name!? It’s kind of hard to think of something as monstrous as this and not give it a name, I think I’ll call it a Dweller.’


The Dweller tried in vain to stop the flurry of blades as Rorke advanced on it. Tentacles, scythe-like appendages, and even his right hand were removed by the fast work of the anubite. Of course when a sweeping strike misses no amount of speed will make you any less vulnerable. The Dweller gripped the temporary god in his remaining hand and began to squeeze, to make the job quicker a spear of chitin stabbed through his shoulder and a scythe removed his wings in tandem. Amun’Ra spoke to Rorke mentally once more. “I cannot repair more damage than this and still stop the pillar, focus on sun and close your eyes!”


A moment later the corona on the back of his head exploded in light blinding the Dweller, me, and every priest watching through the doorway. The moment of distraction worked and Rorke managed to get out of the death grip with his body still intact. “I cannot stay with you for much longer, you must finish this. Repeat these words and throw your sword.” ‘He’s using the same language Moroes used, but it just sounds like a dog growling and coughing at the same time and- Holy crap is his sword on fire!?’


The blade had burst into flames as the Dweller reopened his eyes, so the first thing he saw was a flaming sword being hurled and a rage filled priest both flying toward him. In the second it took to bring his arm up to block the flaming blade Rorke had already jumped past it, now lacking wings to fly past it. In a movement like flowing water his bladespear slammed into and through the Dweller’s neck severing his tremendous head. The behemoth fell quickly and the god within Rorke left him just as quick. ‘Your brothers and sisters will see to your health, I must stop the pillar. You may rest now knowing your job is done for now but far from over.’


With that Rorke passed out with a large chunk of his shoulder missing. ‘Wait if Rorke is knocked out, how come I’m still in his memory?’


“Hello Rorke of the future-” The now fast working god said... to me.


“Do not be alarmed, I merely wish to speak to you on matters most dire. This was a tremendous battle but the repercussions will only begin to be felt in your time. Seek the spire of sand and wind, bring life to the barren land, claim the sun and earth, with these tasks set forth; stand against those that would herald the end.’


‘What does claiming the sun and earth mean? Did he just give me one of the most cryptic prophecies I have ever heard AND do it assassin’s creed style from past to the future?’ My thoughts had to wait however as I came forward into the waking world.

---------------------------------

Author's note time: These are a couple songs I listen to while I write Song 1 and Song 2
Been a while since I updated but I have an excuse, not a very good one but life works like that. I was forcibly taken to lincoln city, Oregon; the whole thing was fun but that's where 4 days of my non updating time was spent.

This brings me to a couple story element that need addressing. Would anyone like to see a 'visions of the future' chapter or should I just get to the gala already and leave Canterlot? As for the gods, I changed a couple names: Amun'ra is Ra, not really hard to see that one. Bastet is the full name of Bast. Horus stayed the same but has been relegated from head of the Egyptian pantheon to second in the Anubite pantheon behind Amun'Ra. Finally, I'm not sure if anyone remembers in the first chapter were Rorke says he's a weirdo but that particular aspect is going to be expanded on a little later.
-Sturrn