• Published 27th Mar 2016
  • 704 Views, 1 Comments

Wrong Door, Perfect Oppurtunity - DuskNote



After having lived his life through in the Potter world and having been offered a choice to continue in another picking the wrong door leads him to the last place he ever wanted to go. Equestria.

  • ...
2
 1
 704

An Awkward Beginning

Waking up was a lot harder than it was last time. My brain felt like sludge and my body felt like it had been chained to the bed... Which my feet were actually on this time... Okay Striker definitely time to move. Forcing myself up I opened my eyes and looked around. The room was the same as the one I was in before and it looked exactly the same. In fact, the bed was the only thing that changed, having gotten bigger.

Groaning I pushed myself off of the bed. And felt my feet come into contact with the cold floor. Looking down I saw that not only had my shoes been removed but that I had been changed into a pair of dark blue pjs that I assumed must have been in my survival kit. Speaking of which, said kit just so happened to be sitting next to the door.... I sighed remembering what had happened when I got to the castle. I might be needing this after all... And there's no point in getting changed if I have to leave. Can't let any pony see me after all. I hope they don't blame Merry for what happened... Well they didn't seem to yesterday. Putting my shoes on I walked out into the hall and paused. "Where the heck am I?" I muttered.

Shrugging I walked the direction opposite the one I went yesterday... Was it yesterday? I felt like I've been out for a while so yesterday is a good bet. Then again I felt like that last time and that wasn't even half an hour. While pondering all this I kept picking doors and walking through them hoping to get lucky. Hallway, hallway, bathroom, hallway, library which I could have sworn was nowhere near here, a locked door, Twilight's bedroom judging from the stuffed animal which actually made sense being near the library. Ah here we go, a hallway with big double doors on either end. And since the double doors on my left had windows next to them with sunlight pouring in that meant the ones on my right had to be the map room/throne room. It also meant that I was in a completely different wing than I thought it was. Well that or I looped around the castle somehow.

Shaking my head I entered the throne room to complete silence. Well almost. Pinkie was busy eating cake while the other ponies all had looks varying in degrees of uncomfortable. Which shot up several notches when they noticed me. Darn it Pinkie what the hell did you tell them? "Pinkie what in Tartarus have you been telling everypony?" It's unnerving how easy it is to slip into pony speak.

"Whaaat?" Pinkie pouted at me with frosting covering her face. "I was just filling them in on what normally happens in these types of situations." The frosting, along with the rest of the cake, was quickly devoured while I tried to figure out what she meant. As the others shifted and blushed, dependant on the pony of course, an image floated to the front of my brain. In fact, a lot of images floated to the front of my brain. "I mean I haven't even told them what happens when Anon shows up."

"PINKIE!" That name brought up a whole different batch of images which left me feeling in desperate need of a shower. "They do not need to know because nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, like that is going to happen. Am I clear? In fact, they didn't even need to know about the other scenario."

"Now hold on a second there. Don't ya think we have the right to know just what the hay we are gettin ourselves into havin you around?" AJ spoke up first of course.

"Honestly? Not really. In fact, I'm quite sure the only reason my memories synced up with the other me is so that I could be embarrassed by moments like this." My head was starting to pound again but I'll be damned if I let this story turn into one of those types. "You girls want to be petted and scratched? Fine. You want to be held? I would be happy to oblige. But I will be damned if the month I spend here is going to involve falling in love with a bunch of candy coloured horses!" I took a deep breath as everyone stared at me before I turned towards the door. "Now if you don't mind I'm going to get changed and leave before I tempt fate any further."

Of course it couldn't be that simple for me as the double doors opened before I even got close and in walked the princesses themselves. "So I take it you are the strange visitor Princess Twilight told me about?" Celestia said as soon as she saw me smiling slightly.

I don't know why but the moment I saw them I dropped to one knee and bowed my head. "Your majesty. It's an honour to meet you." One I was hoping to avoid because 50 bits says I know where this is going but still royalty must be respected.

"Rise Mr. Striker. You can't explain on the floor." I rose slowly and she continued. "Now Twilight has told me how you got here and how you are familiar with our world which I must admit has led me to being quite curious on how we are perceived."

"What my sister means is that she would like you to tell us what public opinion of us is in your world among those of your kind called bronies." Luna spoke up and my gaze was directed to her as she walked closer.

"Well..." I began slowly thrown off a bit by the sudden shift, seeing as I was ready to leave not that long ago. "I suppose the best way to put it in regards to yourself Princess Celestia is that the fandom is split and uncertain. We haven't gotten to spend as much time seeing you as we have the rest of the princesses. Twilight has been in most of the episodes and even Princess Cadence has had more screen time where we see just what type of person, err, pony she is. You have held this strange role where we don't know just who you are. You are portrayed as slightly detached from everything. Above it all yet at the same time you're shown to be fallible." I paused again gathering my thoughts before deciding to simply sum it up. "The show hasn't really given us fans any particular insight into you as it has with pretty much everypony else."

"Fascinating... Dare I ask how I am seen by this fandom of yours?" Luna seemed slightly nervous after hearing what I said about her sister so I figured it best to start of strong.

"Oh we love you." The shock clear on her face was a good signal to continue. "Whether it be your time with the CMC, your struggle adjusting on your first Nightmare Night, your battle with the Tantabus. You've been shown as the redeemed villain suffering for her past actions and the fandom is heartbroken over it." I smiled softly as an idea came to me. "In fact I think I could sum up the thoughts on you perfectly... If I'm allowed to approach?"

Luna definitely seemed confused as she answered. "Permission granted." I walked towards her as she stared at me. I could see her eyes widen as I put my arms around her neck and hugged. "What is the meaning of this?" The princess of the night was definitely not expecting any of this if the way her voice wavered was any indication.

With one hand rubbing her neck and the other the joint where it meets her body, along with the firm belief she was going to kill me for this, I spoke softly so only she could hear me. "We all understand what you went through Luna, and we forgive you for your mistakes. You have become so much stronger for it and we are so very happy for you. We appreciate you and the beautiful night you create." I stayed there for a bit before pulling away. "I apologise for acting out of turn."

"So Mr. Striker. Am I to believe that no one judges Luna for her time as Nightmare Moon?" Celestia was definitely smiling. But that reminded me of one more thing that I should probably mention, especially if lullaby for a princess is canon here.

"Oh not at all. In fact, to be completely honest your highness there are plenty who love her more than you. They've even got a name as members of the Lunar Republic. They think she'd be a better ruler as they have disagreed with some of your choices in the past." Celestia simply chuckled while Luna looked at me in shock. "I can see why they would think that but I stand by my own stance in the matter." Princess Luna looked down at the floor when I said that. Wait... Is she blushing? Oh wow. Don't know if that's good or bad for me. Probably bad but possibly good. Most likely bad though.

"That is very good to hear. One more question if I may Mr. Striker?"

"Oh please your majesty simply Striker is fine. And of course."

"Judging by the shocked looks at your behaviour would I be right in assuming you haven't treated Princess Twilight like this?" I nodded slowly. "May I ask why?"

Pausing I turned towards Twilight, still where she and the other were sitting all with looks of confusion, and bowed deeply. "I apologise for any insult I may have accidentally implied by my actions. It was not my intention." Straightening and turning back to the princesses of night and day I continued. "Twilight is unique. For three seasons we watched her grow and have been proud of her for the long way that she has come since her first day in Ponyville." Princess Celestia smiled as I quoted her song, unintentionally, and I returned it before continuing. Well at least I found out whether they were aware of what they sung. "After that it was another two seasons watching her move on with no real change until receiving this castle after the battle with Tirek and discovering what her role is now. I suppose being witness to all that made me see her as less of a princess and more of a close friend achieving greatness. A mistake on my part I am sorry for making."

Nodding and smiling Celestia replied. "I see. Well it is an honour to have you in Ponyville for your time in our world. I look forward to hearing just what you get up to. Twilight please do keep me informed and thank you for telling me off our new guest." With that both her and Luna turned to leave before I managed to get over the surprise.

"Actually your majesty I was already planning on leaving."

"Oh?" Celestia turned back to look at me still smiling. "Have you discovered how to get home sooner?"

"Well no but..."

"Then we can't simply let you wander around until you go home now can we? Twilight already said she's quite happy to have you stay here so I don't see any problems. Have fun settling in Mr Striker." With a mischievous smile and a soft chuckle Celestia followed her sister out the door leaving me standing there in shock.

"Well maybe the fans that think she's a manipulator are right after all..." I mumbled to myself after a while.

"Well that's all fine and dandy but maybe now we can start talkin about your attitude problem." AJ was so not pleased with me at the moment.

"Before that what are the chances of me leaving without being dragged back against my will?" I replied turning around to look at all of them.

"If Princess Celestia says that you're staying then I guess you're staying." Was Twilights answer to me. "Oh and no need to be formal now. If what you said is true, then I can understand why that might be a bit awkward for you."

"Thank you Princess Twilight but you do hold a royal position. You deserve to be respected as such." The more I stayed detached the better. "What if I told her I found a way home?" Still in my best interest to leave after all.

"You believe you could lie too Princess Celestia? She has ruled for a thousand years and must be well versed in spotting the manipulations of others."

"Well you would know all about that Rarity." I responded desperate to move things along quickly. "And trust me, the stuff I had to do to survive necessitated an ability to spin a tale. I can be quite convincing when I need to be." I did end up in Slytherin after all. "I'm sure I could do it."

"Well, even if you did, what's to stop her from sending an armed guard after you? She probably will just in case you are lying to her." Hearing a logical argument come from Rainbow Dash of all ponies was strange. Mainly because it related to how Celestia would act and seemed accurate. Not something I would expect Rainbow to know but then again possible for her to be correct about.

"Right... Guess I have no choice." I muttered softly. Might need to think of a way to lose them when it finally came time to leave.

"Can we please get back to the point now?" Applejack was getting frustrated it seemed. Couldn't blame her I suppose I had been ignoring her.

"Well I suppose honesty works best so..." I sighed as I spoke up. "I'll be honest. Having my thoughts reset to my original world means opinions of you has shifted slightly."

"And what does that mean?" Twilight seemed to have latched onto my words. Her scientist spirit loving an explanation, as always.

"Well..." God this was embarrassing. "In my world there are plenty of stories and the like of how certain humans would act around you. Whether they be here or you somehow end up in my world." Oh no. Don't think of My Little Dashie. I'm stronger now. "Anyway." Get away from those thoughts before I cry. "Now... While there are those that are like what Pinkie described the major consensus seems to be that... How do I put this?" Deep breaths man. Curse my good memory. And curse that heartbreaking video. "You'd be treated like part of the family. A cross between a pet and a child if you know what I mean?" I asked them and felt the need to smash my head against a wall bringing up kids. I am so not going to be able to look at Rainbow at all.

"So… What?" And of course said Pegasus had to speak up. I hate myself so badly it seems.
Sighing I decided to be blunt again. "The majority of bronies would love nothing more than to hold you and look after you. Myself included it seems." God bloody damnit! I did not want to add that last part.

"Works for me. Hop to it mister!" Once more I found myself scratching the pink pony as she appeared in my arms.

This time I couldn't stop my reaction. "Okay. How? I was looking straight at you and I've just been through a war. I mean sweet Celestia how do you do that?!"

The pink mystery just smirked up at me as she responded. "Don't question it. It's me." She then pushed herself against my hand willing me to keep petting her.

"Well that answers everything." I muttered as I did so. It actually did funnily enough. Pinkie Pie had officially become the way the writer screws with me. What's worse is I couldn't even be mad because with how little what she does makes sense she was perfect to fill that role.

"Well at the very least Pinkie seems to trust you. Even if she's acting a little... Odd." Twilight's answer.

"Please darling Pinkie is always odd. Though I agree he doesn't seem to have any bad intentions." Rarity's answer. I already had Pinkies obvious answer so that was half of them.

"I don't know about this. He could be some secret spy trying to destroy us!"

"Easy there now Rainbow. I may not trust him but I don't think he'd try and hurt us." AJ's southern drawl sounded weird having not heard it in years but at least she was defending me. Kind of. "Fluttershy? What do you think?"

The shy pony shrunk down as all the attention settled on her. "W-well... He seems nice enough... And I don't think anyone who could be so kind to an animal after it hurt them could be all that bad... Also...." She trailed off blushing.

"Also she wouldn't mind being pet again!" I didn't even have to look down to see Pinkie Pie had disappeared from my arms again... Without me noticing. She had popped up right next to Fluttershy and had thrown a hoof around her shoulders after all.

Fluttershy sunk down even lower. "It... Is kind of soothing...."

"I'm glad you think so Fluttershy. I'd be happy to do it again should you want me too." Probably not the best thing to say to calm her down but I could work on it. "So I take it that means you're okay with me staying? Not that I have a choice or anything but you do."

"Why are you in such a hurry to leave anyway?" Rainbow Dash was definitely not a fan.

"Less time I spend here the less likely it is for me too want to stay." Silence greeted my answer. Another one I didn't intend to give. "I cannot keep my mouth shut for some reason..." Sighing I figured it best to just say it all. "Look. For my entire life I've had a... Problem, I suppose. I tend to get attached a little too easily. I managed to deal with it in my last life because I had other things to focus on." Mainly anger but that's something else they don't need to know.

"So that means?" Well, Rainbow seemed surprised enough by my answer to stop suspecting me for a moment. So I guess that's a plus? Better answer her though.

"Well...." Once I figure out how that is. No Pinkie to save me this time it seems. To busy talking to Fluttershy about something... I feel I should be more worried about that... Forget it just let it flow. "As an aspiring writer." Am I though? Screw it follow through. "I tended to like writing my own stories with characters I saw. Of course my need to keep the characters as in character as possible meant I needed someone original to mix things up." Okay going good so far. Just need to cut a few bits out. "This original character was me at first. Then I morphed their personality until they became their own person. However, it was still essentially one character over multiple different worlds. It wouldn't be until I actually started writing that I came up with different personalities for different characters in other worlds."

"Oh would you stop already. Just what does all that have to do with your attachment problem?" Was AJ always this type of no nonsense pony?

"I'm getting there." Word this carefully, mess it up and I'm better off leaving. Screw the consequences. "You see these characters are always facing some kind of danger and, since I didn't understand character growth at the time, my character would try and help them. Protect them to the best of his ability. Suffering instead of them." I sighed. There was no way I could word this that didn't sound like I was dancing around the subject. "So as you can imagine putting them through such stressful situations together led to me asking a simple question."

"How would seeing someone going through all that cause the other characters to react." All eyes turned to Twilight as she spoke. Mine included. It wasn't what I was going to say but it worked better so roll with it. "It's standard story writing. Set up a plot, create the characters and see how they react. No two characters would react in the same way to a certain situation, well with some notable exceptions of course."

"Such as?" Rainbow decided to keep her talking, not sure if I should be insulted that they prefer Twilight's lecture over my explanation.

"Well there are situations that will generally cause the same response, it's how authors know what to do to get their reader to feel what they need to, a sense of suspense during an adventure or sadness over a character passing." Twilight was full into lecture mode now. Wings fluffed out slightly and posture straight. "Seeing a character go through trials and torment is one way to guarantee an emotional connection. Having them do it willingly on behalf of someone else would normally lead to other responses."

"Well go on darling don't leave us in suspense." Rarity was quick to jump into the silence when Twilight paused to look around.

"Oh… Well... Generally, when readers see such a thing they perceive it as a sign of affection. So the next obvious desire would be to see a relationship of some sort build."

"Oh please. There's nothing like that in Daring Do."

"Because Daring Do isn't that type of story, disregarding how her adventures are real, the stories are just that, adventures, she's the main character and a solo act so to speak. Create a story with multiple characters and make one with a mission to protect the rest? Well then an entirely different dynamic evolves." It was obvious Twilight didn't expect to be left talking for this long. Of course one quick look around answered the reason why. “Seems he has a reason for being scared of Pinkie surprising him.”

“Why the sudden change in subject sugar cube?” AJ asked a bit confuddled.

In response Twilight just gestured towards the now open throne room doors. “Looks like my lesson got a bit, um, to close for comfort.”

“Do you think he’ll be okay?” Came a soft voice of concern from one Pegasus only to be answered by the other Pegasus at the table.

“Oh I’m sure he will be fine. He wants to go I say let him.” Each of them seemed to have different thoughts on those matters but they still split up to go home. Unknowing of where the stranger had gone and whether he would be back.

Author's Note:

Okay I give up. I cant write to save my life and this is by far the stupidest thing Ive ever thought of writing. Dont be surprised if this never gets updated again.