• Published 26th Mar 2016
  • 24,720 Views, 390 Comments

A Word of Caution - Eighth



A strange creature arrives in Ponyville and the Apples have taken it upon themselves to keep it as a pet, despite Twilight's cautious words.

  • ...
64
 390
 24,720

Chapter 8

Wandering deep into the forest, you come across Anonymous' camp once again. This time, you're alone. You thought for a moment to bring Spike, but you felt a little too cautious to bring a klutzy dragon along to a camp defended by traps. So you navigate the ropes and snares until you're standing in the centre of the camp. With a moment to lose, you begin taking notes.

The 'cabin' walls are made of a few trunks of wood with hardened clay to seal the gaps. The roof has been made from woven leaves and vines rather intricately, which had to have been recently. The leaves are a dull green so it seems to suggest that Anonymous made this roof section a day or two ago, however the clay is much older and has begun to decay. A few spots have newer patches slapped on but this cabin was originally made long ago.

With the best ability you can muster, you draw everything and write as detailed descriptions as possible. Then you rummage through his things. There's hardly a lot here. Basic tools like a stone axe, a few baskets, and straw bedding would have you conclude that Anonymous is far more technologically primitive than the races of Equestria. But your mind wanders to that book, the one Anonymous clutches closely and clearly wanted no eyes to look at. The one that was looked to be the same quality as your books. Perhaps that's one of the few things that came from Anonymous' world.

"If so... What level of civilisation would Anonymous' world be at?" You mutter to yourself as you gaze over the camp once more.

Now your mind drifts back to Princess Celestia's visit, when she asked if you thought he was dangerous. You didn't find any weapons or the like, and he hasn't hurt any pony however you still can't even tell yourself he is safe. Then as your mind continues to recount conversations past, you think of yesterday when you told Pinkie and AJ he might not be that smart. You stare at Anon's hut as you feel a slight pang of guilt. You hate lying, truly. And even now you question your own actions.

"What am I doing?" you groan angrily as your rub your temples with your hooves.

You've been getting horrid headaches lately that seem to get worse little by little every day. It's this stress but you're having a hard time on why this is all so stressful to you. Something about Anonymous freaks you out, but everyone trusts him so far. He's so alien, but everyone has come to welcome him like a friend. So why can't you? A long and worn out sigh escapes your lips as you replay that question over and over. Not once can you think of an answer. So you close your eyes and think strongly about how you need to make a stronger effort to be Anonymous' friend too.

Then the sound of footsteps heading up the path startle you. In your state of panic, you zip up into a nearby tree and watch through the leaves as Anonymous approaches. Once he is in the centre of camp, he seems to go on alert as he looks over a few things. You hold your breath deeply as you worry about being caught.

"Animals?" Anonymous questions in frustration. Teacher-mode washes over you a little as you note the slurring of his vowels and 's' at the end there.

He spends a little time at the camp not doing anything, just seemingly lost in thought. At one point he rests his head on the cabin walls before pulling back with a exasperated sigh. Then he wanders over to grabbing at his rope, pulling it down and wrapping it around from his elbow to his hand. Then once it's all wound up, he tosses it aside and begins to slowly tear at his cabin. Starting with the roof, which he unweaves partly before working on the walls. You're baffled by why he would ruin all this, and it is clearly quite a bit of work. The trunks he had as his walls aren't light, but he still puts all his strength into tearing it down until it's all flat. Anon even grabs a stick and breaks up the clay until the entire camp looks like trampled ground. With a proud nod, he throws his stick away and heads back into town.

Once you're sure he is gone, you flutter back down, and look over things. You look over your shoulder to the path Anonymous left down and wonder in disbelief. Aimlessly, you kick at a few spots unsure of what to make of things.

"Maybe you're giving up on this camp, and that life?" You question the stones you kick in contemplation, "Ugh, I just really... Don't understand anything you do."

You make one last look over things, for something interesting. Something of note. You figure if you do find anything it'll create more questions rather than give answers, but maybe then you'll know what to ask Anon about himself more. Though you don't, causing you to give up on this camp too. And as you turn around you notice something caught on nearby a branch down the path. With your magic you hastily bring it over to you to find it's a piece of wood whittled down to look like what you'd guess is another human. This one looks to have long hair and a garb that stretches to it's knees like a robe. It does seem to have a slim build, but it's a little hard to discern any real detail about it as it's very simple, so that could just be because the piece of wood he used was also slim.

Now your mind is racing with hundreds of questions about this, namely, "Who is this of?"

Author's Note:

I think I'll be keeping this story's updates brief. Makes it easier for me to update in between other stories, though I'll try and do a sizeable update once in a while too.

Also, thank you all for the 1,000 likes on this story prior to this update. It's pretty cool knowing so many people enjoy something I wrote.