• Published 25th Mar 2016
  • 4,674 Views, 30 Comments

You Could Feel the Sky - NorrisThePony



At the end of the world, Twilight must convince Celestia to let go.

  • ...
5
 30
 4,674

Resistance

Thump.

There it was again. This time, the deafening sound of the sky cracking was accompanied by the ceiling above her doing quite the same. Twilight had to leap out of the way as a heavy bit of the castle roof tumbled above, striking the marble floor and exploding.

Canterlot Castle was falling.

Again.

Twilight did her best not to care as she sprinted through the imploding corridors. She had bigger priorities, after all.

Fallen bits of mortar and other structural debris blocked the way to the throne room before her, but she dispatched that with a blast of her magic and a few powerful flaps of her wings carried her over the rubble and into the blinding ocean of light that was the throne room.

The sound of pulsating magic was deafening, but not as loud as Twilight’s screaming voice.

“Celestia!”

For a moment, the pulsating magic wavered.

Then, it resumed with added intensity.

“Celestia, you can’t keep trying! Won’t you at least listen to me?!”

Once more, the same wavering in the pulses.

Celestia was thinking. Rationalizing. Collating. Resisting.

Once more, the pulsating magic intensified.

“We all miss you, Celestia!” Twilight screamed. “I miss you, Luna misses you, Cadance misses you!”

When Celestia spoke, it was without volume.

“I can’t give up, Twilight Sparkle. I can’t.”

Twilight grimaced a little as Celestia’s voice cut into her mind—not that it was painful, simply a strange and disorienting sensation, like the two were temporarily sharing a mind. When Twilight replied, she did so aloud, and still at a scream.

“It’s time to! It’s time to let go!”

“I can keep it together! Just a little more time…”

“You’re keeping together a barren rock, Celestia.” Twilight’s head sunk. She didn’t have the energy to scream anymore, but somehow she knew Celestia would hear her. “There’s nothing to keep together anymore.”

“Don’t say that! There’s always a way! We’ve always found a way!”

“Yes.” Twilight nodded. “And we did it together! Luna and Cadance are already gone. I… have to follow. I want to follow. But I can’t leave you here, holding together some lonely rock in space for the rest of your damn life!”

“Then stay! Help me! You’re right, we can keep Equus alive together! The way we always have!”

“Celestia… I know it’s hard. I know because you said the same to me when…”

Twilight trailed off. Five faces. Five tombstones.

Anger, loneliness, and then peace.

“...but you need to let go! Stop fighting!”

Silence. Celestia’s magic continued to pulse, the ocean of white and yellow in the brightest shades forcing Twilight to squint. There wasn’t a pony before her, simply a stubborn miasma of incandescent energy.

“Celestia…” Twilight choked. “You know why I’m here. You know, because I already told you last time. I’m… I’m sorry— ”

“No! Don’t be! Don’t finish that! Please, Twilight, help me! We can do this together, I know we can… just a little more…”

“Goodbye, Celestia,” Twilight said. Firmly, and softly. A whisper into a void of soundlessness that she knew Celestia could hear anyways. She flapped her wings, once, twice, three times.

She passed over Canterlot, or, what was left of Canterlot. Centuries had been cruel to the city, and not even Celestia’s stubborn magic could change that. The castle and the mountain around it had ripped apart and been stitched together countless times, so that almost every little brick or rock was in a slightly incorrect place.

Before long, Equus showed its ragged curvature, missing too many pieces in too many places, like a half-completed jigsaw puzzle. Some had already floated off into the void of twinkling stars, the planet's gravitational pull no longer strong enough to keep them all together. Luna's moon existed only in name—it was a pathetic bit of grey against an overarching ocean of black.

Twilight continued to flap her wings, forcing herself not to look back, willing her eyes forwards with her own chanting voice and rapid breath. Behind her lay the past that she had long since let go, and Luna and Cadance had before her. Now, only Celestia was locked in her endless struggle against the inevitable, and it seemed as though not even the promise of loneliness would change that.

Instantly, Twilight scolded herself for letting her mind wander to Celestia.

Any thought of not looking back evaporated in a moment, and she afforded herself a backwards glance. When she did, she found herself surprised by how much distance she had already placed between her and the pale blue little tennis ball.

She was glad she looked back, however, because the sight of Equus collapsing into itself truly was a great sight. She blinked in bewilderment, wondering if her eyes were deceiving her, if she was experiencing some wishful, delusional hallucination.

When a flare of yellow magic erupted next to her, she knew she wasn’t. For several moments, Twilight was speechless even if she desperately wished to speak, but as usual Celestia was quicker on the draw.

“I hate it when you do that,” the white alicorn said simply. For the first time in so long, her expression was not a pain-filled and determined snarl. “Fine. You win, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight did not speak. Together in the dark abyss of space, the two alicorns embraced. Celestia leaned into Twilight's warmth and accepted the wide lavender wings enveloping her.

They did not speak further, and stood still as they watched the final dance of rock and light. The end of Home.

When it was over, Celestia was once again the first voice in the darkness.

“Well?” she asked, as if proposing they go off for ice cream. “Onwards?”

Twilight traced Celestia's raised hoof, motioning forwards in a direction opposite the lonely, fading Sun. She nodded, and together they flew onwards into the darkness.

Author's Note:

Originally written in an hour on the simple prompt of "Resist." Naturally, I took the prompt and ended the world with it. Typical.

Probably an idea executed much better by other people.

Comments ( 30 )

7063112 Whoops :twilightsheepish:.

It's Complete now.

7063116 But I... I got the spacesuit and everything...

:fluttercry:

Fantastic.


I'm curious what comes next. Void or new beginnings elsewhere. I'm leaning towards final end, but who knows?

Sweet. I happened to be listening to this at the time and it's fits rather well.

A very nice short story.

Poetic, and artistic. Language lively, yet barren; I liked this.

Of the ten thousand stories on these dozen ponies, you've crafted something great and unique. Thank you.:eeyup:

This was amazing...I'm afraid I can't think of a comment that can do it justice, however there was liquid pride on the inside. :heart:

The video is pretty creepy...seriously...I'm into dark stuff and my mind is shivering right now...eep! :twilightoops:

7184007 Well if it makes ya feel any better, here's the much less creepy song I was listening to when I wrote it.

Thanks for reading. :twilightsmile:

7184229

How was that I song? It felt more like a chilling instrumental for summoning otherworldy whatevers...

GUH, Boards of Canada, too? Are we the same person? First Tim Hecker, now these guys? I dig your musical tastes.

Oh, and I really liked the story, too. I detect a hint of nonchalance on Celestia's part, as if this has happened times before; as if they'd ruled over thousands of other worlds that all met the same fate. Kind of thought-provoking, immortal wandering monarchs simply looking for their next land to roam over.

7276611 Can't help but notice you're a Radiohead fan, too. How bout that Moon Shaped Pool, hrm? :twilightsheepish:

Boards have been a pretty heavy part of my life for a long time, and I blindly bought Mirages by Tim Hecker at a record store (cause I liked the cover art, lol) and fell in love with it to such an extent that I basically exhausted his discography within two weeks.

I even wrote a Blog post talking bout ol' Tim.

And... regarding Celestia's nonchalance... it certainly seems to suggest a bit of familiarity on her part indeed. I liked the idea of her basically brushing herself off from such a huge loss and then trying to radiate an air of confidence towards their future. I like to think that her apathy isn't a bad thing, but rather a sign that she has enough willpower to always see value in carrying onwards, even as she loses literally everything.

Anyways, thank you very much for reading.

7276971

(Forgive me if that link doesn't work, I'm writing all this from my phone. Something's bound to go wrong lol)


Nah, but jokes aside...Whew, it's growing on me. For better or for worse, the album was totally not what I expected it to be. It's far more subtle, quiet, and introspective than I'd anticipated, but still possibly one of the heaviest albums I've ever heard. The first listen through, it felt just a little bit lacking in actual musical substance for my tastes, but the more I revisit it, the more layers I'm discovering. Unfortunately, I'm at a point where I'm out of money and can't actually go buy the album myself, and the interwebs copyright police are watching this album like friggin' hawks, so I haven't been able to get in as many listens as I would like. I'm sure it'll continue to grow on me, though.

Music really is a wonderfully evocative thing. It has the potential to make us feel moods that we could have never imagined, generate vivid images that can really only be seen in one's head. I don't write nearly as much as I'd like to, but when I do, it's always with music in the background. It just has an incredible cerebral power, whether it be through the instrumental textures, the melodies, the chord structures and progressions themselves; everything plays a part in creating a unique atmosphere. That's part of the reason why I'm majoring in music lol.

Also, yeah, I really that album cover, too. It really sets the mood.

7276971 I'm going to invade this conversation and say it's about time they did a studio version of True Love Waits, entire album is a amazing. Decks Dark has gotta be my favourite though.

This is some good shit.

~Lunatone

The idea of being immortal also means witnessing the end of days. Not many stories focus on that topic, most just focus on the burdens of being immortal by killing off loved ones. But this story does so much better by having an original idea. It makes me curious where ever the two end up. Great story. :twilightsmile:

Existential crisis commencing.

I've reviewed this story HERE!

So, equestria is gone?

10469033

Equestria and the rest of the planet, yes.

Whether or not there's still Equestrians out there, with Luna and Cadance, is something I leave to the reader's interpretation

10469040
So, they’re in space?

10469045

If that's the interpretation you like the most :twilightsheepish:

10469049
So, this is one of those stories where the ending is left to the audience?

10469061
Ugh I hate these types of stories, if your gonna do that than why not just made a million different endings!

11809170
It’s alright depending on the story.

11809198
True but although I do have a wild imagination, I couldn't imagine an ending for a story that isn't mine! Really frustrating sometimes.

11809200
Understandable

Login or register to comment