• Published 24th Mar 2016
  • 8,353 Views, 206 Comments

My Little Pony - The Legend of Friendship - Danieru



The lonely and boring live of an Earth Pony changes completely after he was chosen by one seventh Element of Harmony. Not only will this pony discover friendship but also the true story about the Elements of Harmony. Even if he doesn't want to...

  • ...
30
 206
 8,353

PreviousChapters Next
36. A Hearth's Warming Play

Hearth's Warming Eve. The day before Hearth's Warming. Like every year, a pageant was held in Canterlot to reenact the tale of the founding of Equestria. This normally wouldn't be much of an interest for Star Twinkle's but this time it was different.

He and his friends were chosen by Princess Celestia to play the actors. Performing in a front of so many ponies is not something that he was looking forward to that. But he couldn't just say no. The Princess asked him after all...

Eventually, his thoughts were interrupted by Twilight's excitement. “We're getting closer!” Twilight said excitedly as she looked out of the window of the train, followed by Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

“I'm so excited, I-I feel like shouting!” Fluttershy said followed by a very soft shout.

Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie also looked out of the windows to take a look at Canterlot in the distance.

Star Twinkle, remained inside of the train. Canterlot was nothing new for him. His thoughts laid somewhere else. “I wonder if they watch the play too...” he mumbled to himself.

“What was that, Star Twinkle?” Twilight asked, who overheard Star Twinkle's words.

“Nothing...” Star Twinkle replied absently.

When the train arrived the group took their time to admire the sight of a snow-filled Canterlot. Star Twinkle didn't found it too exciting but he didn't want to ruin the mood and remained silent.

“Should I visit them while I'm here? But I'm not on a vacation...there is probably no time anyway...” he thought.

They all walked their way to a theater and went backstage to put on their costumes for the play.

"I can't believe that Princess Celestia chose us to put on the most important play of the season! Do you guys know what an honor this is? For all of us?" Twilight said in excitement.

This only put unnecessary pressure on Star Twinkle. What if they failed? It is the most important play of the season so if they mess up, everything would end in chaos. As if standing on stage wasn't already bad enough.

“Oh, I wish she hadn't honored me quite so much... I can't go onstage! I don't want everypony looking at me!” Said Fluttershy nervously as expected.

It was like Fluttershy speaking out Star Twinkle's thoughts. Fluttershy then hid her head inside of a box full of decorations, while shaking in fear. But Rarity tried her best to cheer up Fluttershy. “Fluttershy, darling, there's nothing to feel nervous about,”

“No?” Fluttershy replied.

“Of course not. All across Equestria, ponies are preparing their own pageants for Hearth's Warming Eve in their own towns. It's tradition,” Rarity explained while she prepared Fluttershy for the play.

“So you're saying they'll be too busy to come to our play?” Fluttershy said a little relieved.

“Well, no. We're in the Canterlot pageant, the biggest, most important production in all of Equestria. A lot of ponies will come to watch us,”

“A lot?” Fluttershy replied worriedly.

“Hundreds,” Rarity corrected.

“Hundreds?” Fluttershy said shaking.

“Maybe even thousands!” Rarity said in excitement.

Fluttershy yelped in shock and returned to stick her head inside of her box again.

“Well, she tried...I think...” Star Twinkle thought while he was preparing his costume.

Suddenly, a strong wind was blowing through the room, caused by an open window. Afraid that her hair would get ruined again, Rarity commanded Applejack to close the window. Applejack was not too enthusiastic to hear that but eventually, walked towards the window with an annoyed expression on her face. She stopped after she noticed how Rainbow Dash was cheering for herself in front of a mirror.

“It's a reenactment of the founding of Equestria. It's not the 'Rainbow Dash Show,” Applejack reminded Rainbow Dash.

“Well, it should be the 'Rainbow Dash Show'! I'm the star!” She replied.

“Actually, Star Twinkle is the star!” Pinkie Pie corrected.

This caused Star Twinkle to show some concerned looks on his face.

“Yes but...I really don't know how I should feel about playing...”that” role...”

“Are you kidding? You have probably the best role of all!” Rainbow Dash said.

“It also fits you perfectly!” Pinkie Pie added.

“I don't know...” Star Twinkle said concerned.

Meanwhile, Twilight tried to pull Fluttershy's head out of the box with little success.

“Fluttershy, you've got to come out of there!” She said trying to forcefully pull her out of the box.

Pinkie Pie joined her and pulled Twilight's head, causing Twilight to shout angrily at her in response.

“The Hearth's Warming Eve pageant is about harmony and friendship,” Applejack explained to Rainbow Dash who glared back at Applejack angrily.

“Friendship and harmony, huh?” Star Twinkle thought.

If they continue to act like that on stage, then Star Twinkle's fear of ruining the play might actually come true.

“Shut the window!” Everypony shouted except Star Twinkle who was already closing the window.

“Can we go now...” he said annoyed prompting everypony to go on stage now.

Like a wake-up call, everypony left to the stage without a word. The play was about to begin...

It was the most popular play in Equestria. It was about the founding of Equestria. Star Twinkle saw it a few times as a little colt and actually remembered a few lines even before he was given the script. He knew about the characters and what the play was all about. It was quite an interesting story for him. What worried him the most was the role, that he was stuck with.

The curtain opened and Spike, who served as the narrator, began to tell the story.


"Once upon a time, long before the peaceful rule of Celestia, and before ponies discovered our beautiful land of Equestria, ponies did not know harmony. It was a strange and dark time. A time when ponies were torn apart... by hatred!“

The last sentence caused the audience to gasp in surprise.

"I know. Can you believe it?" Spike said, breaking out of character for a moment to talk to the audience.

"During this frightful age, each of the three tribes: the Pegasi, the unicorns, and the Earth ponies cared not for what befell the other tribes, but only for their own welfare.

In those troubled times, as now, the Pegasi were the stewards of the weather. But they demanded something in return.

Food that could only be grown by the Earth ponies,”

The unicorns demanded the same, in return for magically bringing forth day and night. And so, mistrust between the tribes festered, until one fateful day, it came to a boil. And what prompted the ponies to clash? 'Twas a mysterious blizzard that overtook the land, and toppled the tribes' precarious peace.

The normally industrious Earth ponies were unable to farm their land.

The Earth ponies were freezing. The home of the Pegasi fared no better. The Pegasi were hungry. And the unicorns were freezing and hungry. Even the unicorns' magic was powerless against the storm. Each tribe blamed the others for their suffering, and the angrier everypony grew, the worse the blizzard became. And so it was decided that a grand summit would be held to figure out a way to cope with the blizzard,”

This was the scene in which the main roles appeared for the first time. And also the scene where Star Twinkle had to play his first part.

“Alright, let's do this...” he mumbled worriedly.

Spike continued the story.

“Each tribe sent their leaders,” Daughter of the unicorn king, Princess Platinum,”who was played by Rarity.

“Ruler of the Pegasi, Commander Hurricane,” who was played by Rainbow Dash.

“And lastly...

...leader of the Earth ponies, Chancellor Puddinghead,” who was played by Pinkie Pie.

They all began to sit down on at the table and removed their headgears.

“Perhaps the three tribes could finally settle their differences and agree on a way to get through this disaster,”


“All I wanna know is why the Earth ponies are hogging all the food!” Commander Hurricane said angrily, supported by other Pegasi who watched over the meeting above her.

“Us?! We're not hogging all the food, you are! Oh, wait. You're right. It's us. Well, it's only 'cause you mean old Pegasusususes are making it snow like crazy!” Chancellor Puddinghead replied angrily, blaming the Pegasus.

“For the hundredth time, it's not us! We're not making it snow! It must be the unicorns! They're doing it with their freaky magic!” Commander Hurricane then said pointing at Princess Platinum.

“How dare you! Unlike you Pegasi ruffians, we unicorns would never stoop to such a thing! H-m-ph!” Princess Platinum replied who was supported by her fellow unicorns who raised their heads arrogance.

“Well, if you non-Earths aren't gonna stop using your weirdo powers to freeze us all, then I'm just plum out of ideas,” Chancellor Puddinghead said.

“What a shocker. An Earth pony with no ideas,” Commander Hurricane said making Chancellor Puddinghead's fellow Earth-Pony companions only angrier.

“Commander Hurricane, please cease with the insults!” Princess Platinum scolded.

“You're not the boss of me, your royal snootiness!” Commander Hurricane returned, flying towards Princess Platinum in an almost threatening manner.

“Enough!”


“But then a voice sounded through the hall, causing the three leaders to stop their arguing for a minute.

The voice came from another pony. A Unicorn to be exact. It was the pony who suggested to start this meeting in the first place.

A pony from unknown origins, who should be known as the messenger between the three groups,

The Unicorn, Starwhite,” who was played by Star Twinkle.

“This meeting was supposed to end this unnecessary fighting! Instead of blaming each other, we should all find a way to work together,” Starwhite remembered the leaders of the three tribes.

“Great! Another snooty unicorn...” Commander Hurricane said.

“Why should we even listen to another one of those creepy Unicorns?” Chancellor Puddinghead added.

“I will not even begin to trust a Unicorn who isn't even acknowledging their heritage,” Princess Platinum added. “If you excuse me now, I'll leave!” she said, putting on her crown reversed on her head.

“Well, I'm leaving first!” Commander Hurricane said.

“No, I'm first!” Chancellor Puddinghead exclaimed.

They then ran towards the door, each one of them trying to be the first one to exit the building.


“And the blizzard raged on,

Starwhite's goal, noble it may be, was completely ignored by the three leaders. But they were right! Why should they trust another pony, that claimed to be neutral?

The summit of the tribes did not turn out as well as hoped, and the three leaders returned home to lick their wounds, and basically complain,”


The Pegasi

“Atten-tion!” Commander Hurricane exclaimed to her most trusted subordinate, Private Pansy who was played by Fluttershy.

“Oh! Commander Hurricane, sir! How did it go, sir?” Private Pansy replied.

“Horribly! Those other tribe leaders are so disrespectful! Don't they realize that we are a mighty tribe of warriors, and should not be crossed? We have got to break ranks with those weak foals!”

The Unicorns

Princess Platinum entered a building, shivering on the way in.

“Clover the Clever! I need you!” she said, causing her adviser Clover the Clever to appear, played by Twilight.

“Yes, your Majesty. Did the other pony tribes see reason as I predicted?” She asked curiously.

“Those other tribes are impossible! I, for one, can no longer bear to be anywhere near those lowly creatures. The unicorns are noble and majestic. We will no longer consort with the likes of them!”

The Earth-Ponies

Chancellor Puddinghead dropped from the chimney surprising her secretary, Smart Cookie who was played by Applejack.

“Wouldn't it have been easier to use the door, Chancellor?” Smart Cookie asked.

“Maybe for you, Smart Cookie. But I am a chancellor. I was elected because I know how to think outside the box. Which means...” She put her head inside of the chimney. “I can also think inside the chimney. Can you think inside a chimney?“ Chancellor Puddinghead asked.

But Smart Cookie didn't answer to Chancellor Puddinghead nonsense and only made an annoyed face.


“However, the three leaders of the pony tribes were left to think about a solution on their own.

Eventually, every one of them came up with the same solution. They had to find a new land. A land with no snow and more fruitful ground to grow food.

Starwhite contacted the three leaders once more and suggested the perfect place to live for all of them.

While the leaders did not trust him, they were thinking about the well being of their tribes and agreed to go to the place Starwhite suggested.

What was unknown to all of them, was that Starwhite contacted the other tribes too. But that was all part of his plan.

He figured that if they saw a new land untouched by the freezing cold, then they maybe forget their differences and stopped blaming each other.

But unfortunately, as soon as they arrived, their hate grew again and they did what they could do best:
Arguing.”


“I planted my flag first!” Commander Hurricane said.

“Did not!” Princess Platinum protested.

“Did too!” Commander Hurricane replied.

“I planted mine earlier than first,” Chancellor Puddinghead then added.

“All of you riffraff are trespassing in Unicornia!” Princess Platinum exclaimed.

“Pegasopolis!” Commander Hurricane exclaimed.

“Earth!” Chancellor Puddinghead exclaimed.

“Pegasopolis!”

“Unicornia!”

“I say we fight for the land. May the best pony win!” Commander Hurricane suggested, flying up towards Princess Platinum.

Starwhite overlooked how his plan was failing to band the three tribes together and interrupted their fight.

“No! No more fighting! Don't you realize that your fighting caused this situation in the first place? If we start working together now, then we all won't have any problems with the cold or food anymore!”

The others noticed Starwhite and could only return mistrust against him, not even listen to his ideas.

“You! Unicorn! You said that you found a place for us Pegasi to live!” Commander Hurricane said angrily, flying towards Starwhite this time.

“No! He said he had found the perfect place for us Earth-Ponies!” Chancellor Puddinghead said angrily.

“What I said is that I found the perfect place for all of us to live!” Starwhite corrected.

However, his words didn't seem to reach the leaders and he was once again not trusted by them.

“Not if you mean with “all of us” those unmannerly ponies too. Clover the Clever? Throw him into the dungeon for tricking us into all of this!” Princess Platinum said levitating Clover the Clever in front of Starwhite.

“What dungeon? And besides, I think he is actually trying to help us all. Look, perhaps if we all calmed down... “Clover the Clever suggested.

“I agree. Let's all calm down,” Smart Cookie agreed

“I vote for calm,” Private Pansy also agreed.

The three subordinates were actually trying to listen to Starwhite's idea, unlike their leaders who continued to blame each other and argue.

It was then that they noticed how the snow was dropping from the sky. Just like in their homelands...


“And so the paradise that the ponies had found was soon lost, buried beneath a thick blanket of snow and hard feelings. Instead of beautiful, it was blizzardy. Instead of wonderful, it was wintry! Instead of spectacular, it was snow-tacular! Instead of-”

“We get it! Move on!” A pony in the audience screamed at Spike's unnecessary long description of the situation.

Spike reacted with an almost apologizing embarrassed face and cleared his throat before he continued the story.

“Everypony was forced to seek shelter. They searched high and low, but the only shelter for miles was a cold and desolate cave. And, of course, the three tribes had to share it, and nopony was too happy about that.”

Starwhite took a look outside and watched how the snow was covering all of the lands that once was destined to be the new home for every pony. However, Starwhite didn't give up so easily and took the opportunity, that all ponies were together and encouraged the others once more to lay down their differences.

“The snow is covering this land too! Don't you think this is a sign? It's the same as with your homes! Since the snow is following us, we might as well work together to live under these circumstances,” Starwhite advised.

But once again, his words were not taken seriously.

“Alright, “We” will work together to live here!” Commander Hurricane replied. “Private? Outline our territory for everypony to see,” Commander Hurricane commanded.

Private Pansy did as Commander Hurricane said. With the help of Commander Hurricane, Private Pansy drew a line on the ground to mark her territory.

“See this line? No unicorns or Earth ponies are allowed to cross it! This is the sovereign territory of Pegasopolis!” Commander Hurricane explained.

Soon the other two leaders commanded their subordinates to do the same and of course, they had to obey, whether they wanted or not.

Things escalated once more after Private Pansy drew a line around a rock instead of including it into the ”Pegasopolis” territory. Princess Platinum noticed and claimed the rock to be on the Unicornia side of the cave. Chancellor Puddinghead, clearly not caring about the lines on the ground just walked over the rock and claimed it as her own.

Soon they all fought over a little rock. This made Starwhite sigh in frustration. He just wanted everypony to work together in harmony. But that seemed like an impossible thing to do.

While still fighting and arguing, Clover the Clever pointed out that the entrance was closed because of the cold.

“Look, everypony! The entrance!” She said pointing at the entrance.

Now the only exit of the cave was blocked and there was no way out.

“Great. Now there's no way out! We're trapped!” Commander Hurricane said angered.

“You two deserve this horrible fate. You've done nothing but argue and fight with each other!” Princess Platinum said, blaming the others for this situation.

“You've been fighting too, your Highness,” Commander Hurricane replied.

“Yeah! Worse! I haven't been fighting nearly as much as you!” Chancellor Puddinghead added.

Little did they know, that ice was starting to freeze the three leaders of the tribes.

“Earth ponies are numbskulls!” Commander Hurricane said before she was completely frozen

“Pegasi are brutes!” Princess Platinum said before she was completely frozen

“Unicorns are snobs!” Chancellor Puddinghead said before she was completely frozen.

Shocked by what just happened, the rest of the ponies backed away to the center of the cave. The ice was slowly covering the whole cave, forcing the four ponies to hug each other in fear to avoid the cold.

Then Private Pansy noticed something above their heads. Strange horse-like creatures with glowing blue eyes that seemed to be made out of the wind.

“They must be... Windigos!” Clover the Clever realized.

“Windigos?” Smart Cookie and Private Pansy wondered.

“My mentor Star Swirl the Bearded taught me about them. They're winter spirits that feed off fighting and hatred. The more hate the spirit feels, the colder things become!” Clover the Clever explained.

“Yes...they are responsible for the snow and the cold in your lands and now they are about to do the same here...” Starwhite explained.

“Then... this is our fault. We three tribes... we brought this blizzard to our home by fightin' and not trustin' each other. Now it's destroyin' this land, too,” Smart Cookie figured.

“And now our bodies will become as cold as our hearts... all because we were foolish enough to hate,” Clover the Clever said.

Starwhite felt responsible for this situation and showed signs of regret in his face.

“I only wanted everypony to live in harmony, instead of fighting against each other. But all this hate seemed to be a lot harder to fight against...”

The three ponies also showed signs of regret.

“Well, I don't hate you... I actually hate Commander Hurricane a lot more than I hate you guys,” Private Pansy said, making the other ponies giggle in response.

“Well, I don't hate you guys either,” Smart Cookie assured.

“Nor do I,” Clover the Clever said.

Hearing this made Starwhite feel a lot better but it was too late now. The Windigos were starting to freeze the remaining ponies as well. But they didn't care, they were laughing and didn't even notice. The Windigos noticed that and started to quicken the freezing process.

“No matter what our differences, we're all ponies,” Smart Cookie said before she and the others were all frozen as well.

Hearing this made Starwhite feel warm inside. He wanted to see how ponies work together and even if it was too late, he was happy to find out that it was possible.

The cold was completely covering Starwhite's body until it reached his horn.

A bright light covered him and levitated him above the ground. The Windigos were pushed back by the light coming out of Starwhite's horn and vanished. A bright fire appeared above their heads and protected them from the cold.

The three other ponies stood there in shock and watched Starwhite. But something was different about him. He looked different...

They just now noticed that he grew two wings on his back. He was now a Unicorn with wings. Something that they had never seen before.

When he landed back on the ground they quickly rushed to his side and asked what exactly happened. But Starwhite didn't know either and was as confused as they were.

“You have wings?” Private Pansy wondered.

“How is that possible?” Smart Cookie asked.

“I don't know but what I do know is, that whatever happened wasn't just because of me. As soon as I watched you laughing and not hating each other, I could feel this beautiful feeling,”

“It came from all the four of us, joined together, in friendship,” Clover the Clever figured.


“All through the night, the three ponies kept the fire of friendship alive by telling stories to one another and by singing songs, which of course became the winter carols that we all still sing today. Eventually, the warmth of the fire and singing and laughing reached the leaders, and their bodies began to thaw. And it even began to melt their hearts.

They thanked Starwhite for being the first one to open their eyes and rescuing them in the cave but he left a short while after. Rumors say that he was only there to lead everyponies way and then vanished again.

Whether he was there or not, the three leaders agreed to share the beautiful land, and live in harmony ever afterward. And together, they named their new land...


“Equestria!” every pony said, causing the audience to cheer.

And thus the play was over and the actors bowed before their audience, who cheered for the spectacular play that they just saw. Star Twinkle was relieved that it was finally over but he also had to admit that it was quite fun. Still, his eyes wandered over the audience in hope to find two ponies.

“Looks like they are not here...well, whatever it was still fun...” he thought relieved.

They went back to behind the stage to take off their costumes and end the day.

“We should be so honored that Princess Celestia chose us! She must really think we exemplify what good friends are!“ Twilight said happily.

Star Twinkle, quietly took off his costume and thought about the play. Twilight noticed and walked up to Star Twinkle.

"Are you still thinking about your role?"

"Yup..." he replied. "Wouldn't you too if you had to play a pony that may or may not have existed in the first place?"

"Well, Starwhite was a name given to a pony that might appear back at the founding of Equestria. He was the first known Alicorn in Equestria. It is true that it's unknown if he ever existed at all but he symbolized the first pony who embodies all of the pony races. It's symbolic for all the three races working together," Twilight explained.

"If you say so..." he replied.

Once again a strong wind blew through the room, caused by an open window again.

“Applejack, I thought you closed all the windows,” Rarity said to Applejack.

“Don't blame me. Rainbow Dash should've flown up there and shut it. After all, she's got wings,” Applejack replied.

“Why do I always have to do all the high up chores? Why can't Twilight use her magic for a change!” Rainbow dash replied annoyed.

Soon all of them began to argue again just like they did the day before.

“I have a really strange deja vu right now...” Star Twinkle mumbled to himself.

In the middle of their argument, a strange noise could be heard from outside.
Maybe it was caused by the wind but it frightened everypony for a moment.

“Y'know what? I got it,” Rainbow Dash said, quickly closing the window.


Meanwhile, two ponies walked outside of the theater after they watched the Hearths warming play.

Both of them were Pegasi. One of them was a mare with a white coat, a light blue mane, light blue eyes, and a Cutie Mark made out of three swirls. The other one was a stallion with a light blue coat, a yellow mane, light blue eyes and a wing with a whirlwind in front of it.

The mare seemed a little angry at the stallion but he didn't seem to care much about it.

"I can't believe that we got the chance to attend the most popular play in all of Equestria and all you do is sleep through half of it!" The mare exclaimed annoyed.

The light blue Pegasus rubbed his eyes while listening to the scolding mare.

"Well, it was really dark in the room and we were really far away from the stage so I couldn't hear the performers really well soo..." The blue Pegasus said in excuse.

"It was really interesting! The story! The characters!” She admired. “Didn't it even got your attention that one of the founders had the same name as you?"

"Who?" He replied obliviously.

"The one with the same name as you!" She replied angrily.

The blue Pegasus only replied with an embarrassed smile, causing the mare to sigh in frustration.

"Who knows when we get more free time again? I mean, we got pretty lucky that we had no mission today,"

This reminded the blue Pegasus. "Oh, by the way...we got a mission..." he said with no care in the world.

"What? Since when?" The mare replied shocked.

"Since this morning..."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was about to tell you but you were so excited about the play and I didn't want to ruin your mood..."

"What were you thinking? We can't just delay a mission like that! We'll get in trouble!"

The mare was breathing heavily but tried to calm down.

"I just hope that it wasn't something important..." the mare mumbled in order to calm herself down.

"It came from Cyclone..." the stallion, added.

This shocked the mare even more. Getting a mission from Cyclone Wing meant that it had to be very important.

"What are we waiting for? We need to go! Where do we have to go?" The mare asked in a panic.

"Ponyville..." he replied casually.

"Good! That's not too far away. And what do we have to do there!?"

"We have to get some harmonic elements or something..." the stallion replied bored.

"Then let's go!" The mare said before she prepared herself to lift off into the sky but the blue Pegasus walked away slowly in the opposite direction where the mare was facing to.

"Where are you going?" She asked confused.

"To the hotel..."

"But what about our mission?"

"We can still do that tomorrow...It's already dark...I'm too sleepy now..." he said, yawning in the process.

"But you slept through the whole play!" The mare exclaimed.

But the blue Pegasus walked away casually with no care in the world. This is when the mare decided to give up. The was no point getting stressed out anymore. They were already one day late for the mission. Still, she was fearing the worst.

"Cyclone is gonna be really mad..."

Author's Note:

A little early for Christmas but whatever...

Changing Equestria's history FTW!

I hope you enjoyed the chapter.
If you did, please leave a review to help this story get known.
That would be much-appreciated ^^.

See you in the next chapter.

PreviousChapters Next