• Published 26th Mar 2016
  • 307 Views, 21 Comments

Shadow of Death - Blackdust



Sol died recently. But Death found his attitude unique and sent him back, and made it impossible for him to die at the same time. Now he goes around demon hunting.

  • ...
8
 21
 307

Chapter 5

Patience

"Good." Brightwill said, before turning and trotting a good distance away and then whispered something too quiet for any of them to hear. Then she started to grow... And grow... And grow. Until she was what Roseshield could only assume was her regular size.

"How did she do that?" Roseshield asked Ashtail since Bluemane was still too winded to really answer without taking all day.

"Hey, your lesson started the instant you agreed to listen. I am NOT about to make her mad by helping your impatience." Ashtail said backing away.

"What? I'm supposed to say some stupid words and wave my hooves around and I'll grow bigger?" Roseshield asked, slightly disbelieving that 'hoof and word' magic even existed.

"Only if you want to turn into a pile of ash. And it didn't look too painless when it happened to my study partner." Ashtail said before trotting off a good distance and turned his back to Roseshield. Ashtail then started to grow back to his normal size.

And then he caught it. The words to counter the spell. Excresco. He just had to be patient and listen. Just like she had told him to do. The wind carried the words over to his ears after he had started to think about how he had countered Bluemanes' enchantment.

"Excresco..." Roseshield whispered. In return he felt something in him flutter like a caged bird. Patience... Listen... Clear everything else and just listen...

Again, he felt something flutter inside his chest. "Excresco." Roseshield whispered again, but with his want of being big again.

"Congratulations. You passed the first part. Listening to the winds to find the knowledge you seek." Brightwill said from beside him.

"A clear mind helps. Thank you, sensei." Roseshield said, bowing before he realized what he was doing.

"Sensei? And what, pray tell, does that mean?" Brightwill asked, cocking one eyebrow.

"It's my villages term for one that teaches another the paths of combat and honor..." Roseshield said, moving only his mouth to answer. Luckily, he didn't need to breathe anymore.

"Well then. I guess I'm next then." Ashtail said, trying to break the uncomfortable silence.

"And what would you teach him? How to fly? He's still too fresh. And he's a unicorn! What can you possibly teach him?" Brightwill said, degradingly.

"I can teach him something neither of you can. Ignoring things. Yes listening, patience, and endurance are important, but what if he can't ignore the background noise to hear what he wants? He'll miss something important." Ashtail said, cantering away. And called over his shoulder as he left, "So, will you bear with me, and follow me out to the forest?"

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Here's the chapter with word magic! If you want to know, it's Latin. I'll post a 'spellbook' chapter if I hit 10 likes. And yeah... Sorry for it being so much shorter than the previous ones...