• Published 20th Mar 2016
  • 464 Views, 12 Comments

Series of Firsts - themouthofmush



There are plenty of firsts in our lives: first steps, first words, first friends...first time falling hard for somepony. For Greyscale, these come evident when he meets a mare called Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
1
 12
 464

Can We Go For a Second Chance?

Chapter 5-Can We Go For a Second Chance?

A few days have passed since I embarrassed myself in front of everypony and Twilight. I could have lived it down and became one with my bed if it wasn’t for Applejack and Rarity needing me to help them out with things.

I shook my head as I followed the fenced path leading back into town. “It’s almost apple bucking season.” A shiver went down my spine as I remembered the past few. “I’m really not looking forward to that.”

As I neared the only bridge separating Sweet Apple Acre from Ponyville proper, Carousel Boutique slowly started to get more and more into view.

“And I have to look forward to Rarity going all ‘Summer Styles’ mode for the next two weeks too.” I sighed and looked into the air. “Why must the world make being a nice guy suck?”

I stopped halfway through the bridge to let a speeding Applebloom through. “Be careful Applebloom! Watch where you’re going!”

“Ah will Grey!” was all she said as she zoomed her way through the town.

I chuckled a little bit at the sight. “She’s barely going to get to school on time.”

I continued my course into the town market, looking at all of the ponies walking about, keeping an eye out for Tart. “Just you try, you dumb tart,” I whispered. “Just you try.”

One second I was walking, looking around what most would probably call ‘a weirdo,’ and the next I was on my flanks.

“Ow,” I said as I rubbed my snout a little.

“Can you please watch w-“ the other voice started.

“Huh, why’d yo-“

I saw who I bumped into and gulped a little. In front of me was a grayish blue pegasus mare, who’d you’d probably get confused with her sister if it wasn’t for the pink bow in her baby blue mane.

“H-hey Flitter...”

“Hey Grey...h-how you been?”

“I’ve been good...you?”

“Good too...”

We just sat there, in silence, trying to look at one another by not looking at one another, and failing badly at that, for what felt like hours.

“Flitter, why are you on the-Oh, hey Grey.”

I looked towards the next voice and there was another grayish blue pegasus mare.

“Hey CC.”

“You know how I feel about that nickname dude.”

I grinned at her. “I know. That’s why I use it.”

She snorted a little bit, her sister giggling at the display.

“Whatever. You two plan on standing up anytime soon?”

I looked at Flitter then at the floor around me. “I’m not going to lie, it’s actually quite comfortable here.”

“I have to agree with that sis,” Flitter chimed in. “It’s actually pretty comfortable once you got used to it.”

“I know right.”

Flitter and I shared a laugh while Cloudchaser rolled her eyes. “If you guys are going to sit there all day, so be it. Just thought we could see which books you’d be okay with donating to the library sis.”

I turned to face Cloudchaser. “The library? Didn’t it close down years ago?”

“Oh, it did, but it was reopened because of the new librarian.”

All that was left in my wake was small dust cloud as I rushed to my new destination.


What was once an old spruce tree that was left to grow into a “massive” tree in the middle of one of the town’s blocks was now a stocky hollowed-out tree that was home to hopefully a good collection of books for anypony to read-Golden Oak Library.

Not much has changed of the old place besides the addition of a new balcony on top of the tree, a telescope on the side balcony, and a candlestick lantern hanging outside of one of the windows.

I placed a hoof on the door, trying to see if it was open to the public or not, but the door opened before I ever got to it, revealing a small creature with purple scales and green spikes, some a bit lighter than the rest, and emerald eyes.

He might have said something to me, but it didn’t really reach my mind as the fact of what he was not being processed yet.

A slightly sharp pain on my leg snapped me out of my stupor. “Ow! What the...”

“Sorry about that,” he told me, “but you wouldn’t say anything. Been trying to snap you out of it for a while now.”

“A while?” I asked him.

He nodded his head and a slight heat started to come to my face. “Sorry about that.”

“Nah, it’s alright. So, what can I do for you?”

“Oh, I just wanted to know whenever you might be open and see if you would be alright with me donating some books.”

“Well, the library’s pretty much open each day from nine in the morning to just before seven in the afternoon. As for the books thing, you’d need to ask her. I’m kind of late.” He moved passed me. “See you later.”

“Ask her?”

“Hello?” a voice came from inside.

I turned and was face to face with Twilight.

“Oh, it’s you,” she told me, not knowing how much her tone hurt me.

“H-hey...”

She sighed and surrounded the doorknob in a purple aura. “I’m sorry, but I’m busy with organizing our books. Could you please come back at some other time?”

“W-wait!” I said to her, barely stopping the door from closing. She turned around and glared at me. “L-look, I’m sorry for what I said a while back.”

“Oh?”

“Y-yeah...” I tried to look her in the eyes, but couldn’t seem to have the power to do so. “I know what I said was weird, really completely weird, since I’m an earth pony and can’t be taught magic like unicorns might-”she cleared her thought-“but I didn’t mean it as rude or anything. It was just me being completely stupid.

“I heard from my friend that you were from Canterlot and Rarity told me that you were the Princess’ personal pupil. I mean, how would somepony react to that, meeting a mare who’s from the capital, who was taught personally by the Princess herself, along with any tutors she would have thought worthy, and one of the mares who saved Equestria from the return of Nightmare Moon?”

I gulped a little. “Just all of that being taken in at once, it could be too much for a guy, you know.”

I looked up to face her, ready for anything she might say, but she just looked away the moment I did.

“I’m sorry for how I’ve been treating you so far.”

“It’s no big deal.”

“No, it is. It was rude of me. There has to be something that I could do to make it up to you.”

“You don’t have t-“ A grin appeared as a thought crossed my mind. “Well, there is something you could do.”

“Really? What is it?”

I stretched out my hoof and smiled at her. “Hello there, my name is Greyscale.”

I might have confused her for a bit there, but she giggled into her hoof before taking my hoof. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Greyscale. My name is Twilight Sparkle.”

“It’s nice to meet you Twilight.”

We shook hooves and laughed a little bit.

“So, Twilight.”

“Yes?”

“Do you need any help with organizing those books? I’ve got some free time right now and it seems like you might need some help.”

“I’d love some help with organizing,” she said as she entered the building, “though it might take some time to understand my filing system.”

I followed her in. “Eh, been told that I’m a quick study.”

Comments ( 6 )

You did well. I enjoyed this story.

The one gripe I have with this is that I wish you'd given Greyscale a chance to be a little more fleshed out and show us how he knows everypony in Ponyville. However, this was still a pretty good story. Have a thumbs up.

7119146 i hope i could do that in the next one or so. i kinda want to try my hand at making a story revolving an episode from the show. it would be easier to show gaps of time that way and not need to continuously write about the small things.

Aw, Grayscale is so adorable.

I know what it feels like to get lost in a daydream... (although mine aren't about crushes)

Still, hope to learn more about him, his talent and life etc., and if he was serious about learning magic. Onward!

7773858 hopefully you end up enjoying the whole story

Login or register to comment