• Published 20th Mar 2016
  • 461 Views, 12 Comments

Series of Firsts - themouthofmush



There are plenty of firsts in our lives: first steps, first words, first friends...first time falling hard for somepony. For Greyscale, these come evident when he meets a mare called Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
1
 12
 461

First Mistake of Many?

Chapter 3—First Mistake of Many?

Thump!

“Ow, what was that for Tw...”

The rest of my sentence never came as I looked at my surroundings. What was once a balcony overlooking Canterlot and beyond was an average kitchen: an oak table with four pillows around it, wooden counter tops and shelves, beige painted walls, windows letting you see outside to the backyard; just a really average kitchen.

“What the...”

“Good to see that he’s back.”

“Shut up.”

I shook my head, the voices not helping with the pain. Wasn’t I just with Twilight?

“Grey?”

I looked to my left, toward the voice, and saw a pair of concerned blue eyes. “You back?” Icy asked me.

“Back...” I said as I looked down, a plate with bread crumbs on it. “...yeah, think so.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“No it isn’t,” another voice said. “I wanted to smack him again.”

I looked to my right and felt my blood start to boil. There he was, a pink coated unicorn stallion, his long pink and black mane and tail looking more “fashionably” messy than the last time I’ve seen him.

He swallowed what was in his mouth and gave me a look. “Yes?”

“Was that my sandwich?” I asked him through grated teeth.

“Not like you were going to eat it.”

“I was hungry, you stupid Tart.”

“No, you were spacing out. You have been for a while now.”

“I hate to admit it, but he’s right Grey.” Icy moved closer and placed a hoof on my shoulder. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing’s going on,” I told him as I shrugged off his hoof.

“Come on, I know something’s go-“

“Who is it this time Grey?”

I looked at the stupid silver eyes of Pop Tart. “No one.”

“Oh, really,” he tilted his head and gave one of those smug looks he knows bug me. “Then why is it you gave me that kind of response?”

“Shut it Pop.”

“Oh, why should I?”

“Guys, come on and s-“

“Because if you don’t, I’m going to punch you.”

A faint pink glow surrounded his horn. “Why don’t we see you try.”

“GUYS!”

We looked over to Icy and gulped at the same time. He was giving us his ‘stop or I’ll stop you’ look (trust me when I tell you this, he could.)

“Are you both done now?”

Neither one of us could nod fast enough.

“Good. Now Grey...”

“I know what you are going to ask, but I’m not going to answer that question.”

Icy sighed. “Grey, come on. You are with friends who won’t judge you-“

“Oh, I’ll judge you.”

“-I won’t judge you. So, come on.”

After what felt like hours in the quietness that followed, I mumbled something under my breath.

“Grey, you know that doesn’t count.”

“....T-twilight...”

“Twilight?”

“Wait, you are head over hooves for the new mare in town,” he said as he fell backwards laughing.

“You could try laughing harder Pop Tart. I’m not sure the ponies in Manehattan heard you.”

“Oh, this is rich. You are crushing hard on a pony that has lived her whole life with the upper crust.” He wiped away a tear. “Gotta say that I didn’t peg you as a ‘gold digger,’ but, hey, all to you if that’s-“

In a blink of an eye, Icy went from where he was sitting to being over Tart, wrapping his hind legs around Tart’s head and holding one of his forelegs with his own.

“Now Pop Tart,” Icy said as he applied some pressure, a yelp coming from his captive, “why don’t we just stop with that whole line of thought you had there before I actually applied some real pressure.”

“FINE! FINE! I GAVE! I GAVE!”

“Good.” In one fluid motion, Icy went from holding Tart into submission to calmly sitting down at the table.

It’s a scary, scary thought where he would be in the Guard if it wasn’t for his eye injury.

Tart slowly got back up and joined us at the table. “Was that r-“

“Yes, yes it was.”

Tart shook his head and looked at me. “Must be nice having your coltfriend fighting all your fights for you, Grey.”

“Wouldn’t know. Don’t have one.”

“Sure, sure.” Tart popped his back and sighed. “Even though that hurt, it did help get rid of that crick in my back. Thanks for that one-eye.”

“Don’t call him that, you stupid tart.”

“It’s okay Grey.”

“Anyway Grey, if you ever need any help with the ladies, you know you could ask this stud muffin right here.”

“Please Tart, he’d only ask you for advice if he wanted to have more than half of the townsfolk angry at him. Heck, there’s an unspoken rule in town now that no mare should even try to get near you.”

“Yet, I keep getting tail, all the time.”

“Does it please you, talking like a smug idiot all the time?”

“You know it Icy.”

Icy and Tart talked some more, going back and forth, but all of it turned to white noise.

Should I take him up on his offer?

Part of me knew that I shouldn’t, that his idea of a study relationship is having multiple strings of one night stands in a row, that he wasn’t liked much by most of the mares in town because of how he treats them before and after he does ‘the ultimate form of seduction,’ that his ideal version of a good date is picking up drunken mares in bars...

But a part of me also knew that there was a chance, a completely slim chance, which any advice he could give could work. I mean, even though he knows all about the negative image he has with the mares and that his way of treating them isn’t really the norm, he still keeps hooking up with them. Something about his act just seems to strike some part of a mare’s mind that makes them want to actually be with him.

I sighed and shook my head. I’m going to hate myself for this. “Tart?”

“Yeah Grey?”

“Were you being serious about that advice thing?”

“Grey, you can’t be serious. This is Tart we are talking about here. This isn’t going to go well for you.”

“Gee, that’s some form of friendship you have there for me, Icy. Yeah, I was being serious about that advice. Why you ask?”

I sighed and looked him dead in the eyes. “I need your help.”