• Published 24th Mar 2016
  • 1,299 Views, 29 Comments

The Spirit Trilogy - Enderdragonslayer1



Follow the story of Sunny Days as she starts to realize her destiny. Rewrite of Spirits.

  • ...
5
 29
 1,299

A1 C3: Bonding

As I lay there in fear, I couldn’t help but wonder what I did to deserve this. I was torn out of my thoughts when I heard a pair of voices outside my room. While I couldn’t make out what they said, I did make out a little bit, enough to find out that they are using me as bait to kill me and Mom. And even if she didn’t show, they would still kill me. This filled me with a feeling of pure fear. A couple of minutes later, I realized that sound of talking was replaced with the sound of heavy locking bolts moving. I managed to pinpoint the source to be from the door.

So even if I managed to get out of my bonds and managed to find a way to open the door, the locks on it would prevent me from opening it anyways. I thought, dejected. I was torn from my thoughts by the door opening to reveal a tan stallion with a grey mane and tail, a red cloth over his muzzle, and a black jacket blocked my view of his cutie mark.

“Ok, young one, it’s show time,” he said in a deep tone. As he started to move towards me, I started to struggle in an attempt to get away, the fear in my eyes could be easily read. However, my attempts were futile as he just picked me up off of the ground, using a leg to hold me against his chest. He then proceeded to walk out of the room, where I instinctively tried to raise a hoof to my eyes to block out the sunlight, but since I couldn’t, I settled with blinking the dark spots out of my eyes as they tried to adjust. As we continued to walk, I was mentally hit by a torrent of worry that didn’t come from me.

“Mom!” I exclaimed through our connection, trying to get her attention, “Can you hear me?”

“Sunny!” I heard a voice exclaim in relief, “I’m glad your ok!”

“We have a huge problem, I overheard the guards outside of my room talking about how they were going to use me as bait to draw you out to kill both of us!” I told her in a panic. As I said that, I could feel the angry thoughts flow through our connection. A couple minutes later, my eyes lit up as I saw Mom in the distance. My captor seemed to notice.

“Not so fast. You’re only free if she has the bits,” he said smugly. When we reached where Mom was waiting, I noticed that she was here alone with two more ponies that was wearing what my captor was wearing. One was a unicorn with a white coat and blue mane and tail while the other was a pegasus with a grey coat and silver mane and tail. They were both wielding a dagger made some kind of stone that I don’t recognize. My spirits dropped before it perked up again.

Wait, I realized, Those are Royal Guards!

“Looks like you showed up, but before I release her, I need to see that you have the bits,” he told her. She responded by pulling out a large bag that I realized were full of bits and handed it to him. He looked inside before giving out a chuckle. “You know, you do realize that I was never going to let you go?” He started before yelling, “NOW!” The two thugs...err....guards sprung into action while he bent my right foreleg backwards, breaking it in half while I tried to yell out in pain, tears flowing from my eyes. Unfortunately for my captor, Mom wasn’t the target as the disguised guards dogpiled on the thug, pinning him down while Mom came over to me and started to free me from my bonds. The moment she freed my muzzle, I screamed out in pain while trying everything I could to stop the pain that was the result of my broken leg.

“Don’t worry, Sunny,” Mom said soothingly as she embraced me gently, attempting to calm me down, “You’re going to be ok. Just relax.” She immediately spread her wings out as she started to rush me to the hospital. While we were traveling, my eyesight started to fade as the pain was starting to overtake me. The last thing I remember was Mom entering the hospital and the yelling of panicking doctors.


As I started to come to, I was faintly aware of something soft wrapped around my barrel. As my senses started to sharpen, I realized that the thing in question was, in fact, a wing. I also felt something I haven’t felt in a long time: a feeling of safety. Unconsciously, I tried to bury my head deeper into Mom’s coat in an attempt to get lost in her warmth.

“Sunny?” I heard a voice ask. After I managed to open up my eyes, I looked up to see Mom’s concerned face, “How are you feeling?”

“Sore,” I managed, “And tired.”

“How about you get some sleep, then?” She asked, pulling me in closer as she gave me a gentle nuzzle.

“I-I don’t know if I can…” I managed fearfully as the memories of what happened flashed through my mind. However, as this happened, I became aware of a soft, gentle melody as Mom started to sing a lullaby.

“Hush Now, Quiet Now,
It’s time to rest your sleepy head.
Hush Now, Quiet Now,
It’s time to go to bed…”

As she continued, my eyes started to grow heavy as I let out a yawn. Any fear was replaced by a feeling of peace. As she started to near the end of the song, my eyes started to close on their own. I fell into the lull of sleep as she started to finish the song.


I was in an enclosed room, my muzzle....muzzled, my legs bounded together, my wings tied to my barrel, and a metal ring on my horn. I watched as a stallion coated in darkness picked up a butcher’s knife and started to move towards me, laughing darkly.

“Come on, little pony,” the figure said darkly, “It’s time to get your amputations,” He reached me as he sliced off my horn, causing me to try and scream out in pain. Just as he was about to cut off another limb, the scene changed to a dense forest. I was running from a lion-like creature with bat wings and a very sharp scorpion tail. As I was running, I noticed a clearing ahead, causing me to double my efforts. However, when I reached it, I skid to a stop, barely at the edge of a cliff that dropped down hundreds of feet down. I turned around to try and backtrack only to see that the beast has my back up against a wall. As the beast took one step forward, I took one back which, unfortunately, caused me to lose my footing as my hoof slipped, bringing me down with it. Just as I was about to hit the ground, everything went dark, but not before I heard a mare’s voice.

“Fear the wrath of the Nightmare!”


I shot up in the bed I was in, or at least tried to, after I woke up. I noticed I was back in a hospital room, the soft beeping of a heart-rate monitor in the background. I looked out the window and noticed it was dark out. I also noticed a cast on my right foreleg, not only preventing me from moving my leg, but also keeping the broken bone in place as it healed. I felt mom stir as she started to wake up, seemingly caused by my sudden movement.

I-it was only a nightmare… I thought as I tried to get my beating heart under control.

“Sunny?” Mom asked, concerned, “What’s wrong?” I tried to say something, but nothing would come out, I couldn’t get the nightmare off my mind. “A nightmare?” She tried, to which I nodded as tears started to flow down my face. Mom seemed to notice my distressed state and pulled me into an embrace, using her forelegs and wings to hold me as she gave me a gentle nuzzle. I instinctively leaned into it, returning it with one of my own.

“Everything will be ok, Sunny,” Mom whispered to me as she held me against her chest. She started to sing me another lullaby to help me sleep. She continued to sing until I fell asleep.


It was midday when I came around again, but this time, instead of being in a hospital, I was on a large bed with a white blanket over me. The bed itself has a yellow sun imprinted on the headrest. Something told me that this was Mom’s room in the palace. A few moments later, I noticed the lack of a cast on my right foreleg.

“Sunny?” I heard Mom say, tearing me from my thoughts as I snapped my head towards the large double doors on the other end of the room. Mom walked over to me and gave me a gentle nuzzle, “Did you have any nightmares?” She asked. I shook my head. However, at that moment, my stomach growled, causing me to look away and blush in embarrassment while Mom giggled a bit. Using her magic, she lifted me onto her back before leaving the room.

“Mom, as much as I enjoy riding on your back, I’m able to walk on my own,” I said, trying to sound annoyed, but failing. I actually enjoy it a lot.

“Actually, the bone in your leg is still pretty weak,” she told me, “I was informed not to let you put pressure on it for at least three days.” I would have argued, but her tone told me that it was final.

“Fine,” I sighed. We continued to walk for a few minutes before we came upon a large door that looked similar to the one for the throne room. She opened it using her magic, allowing me to see the inside of the room. I looked around and saw a long table with several chairs around it. There were also a lot of beautiful decorations around the room.

“I take it that you like it?” Mom said, amused. Realizing that my jaw had dropped, I closed it quickly as I started to stammer, blushing furiously as I tried to hide the fact that that just happened. This prompted a gentle laugh from Mom. “I’ll take that’s a yes?” I nodded, defeated, as my face continued to be a very deep crimson. She brought me over to the end of the table and placed me in a chair that was higher than the rest; it seemed to be made for me.

“Sunny,” Mom said, getting my attention, “There are a few things that you need to know.” I continued to look at her, prompting her to continue. “First off, you’ll be assigned a few guards to protect you when I can’t be with you. And second, you’ll be sleeping with me for now on.”

“Wait, why?” I asked, prompting a sigh from Mom.

“While you were in the hospital, I had the guard search your room to try and figure out how your foalnappers managed to get in without alerting the guards...and found a tunnel in the closet under a false floor.” I paled a bit at that, “They already closed off the room with three guards, one of each race, guarding the room at all times.” I’m sure she said more, but my mind started to run ramped as fear continued to overtake me.

“Sunny!” I heard a voice say. I looked up and saw Mom’s worried face, “Are you okay?”

“Y-yeah, j-j-just thinking,” I managed, trying to get my fear under control. Mom took one look at me before giving me a gentle nuzzle, quenching my fears as I leaned into it.

“Better?” She asked gently. I gave her a nod; I was feeling much better. A bowl and a fork was placed in front of me, a salad with what looked like dandelions in it. I looked at the fork as I started to reach a hoof towards it before I pulled it back. “What’s wrong?” Mom asked me, confused about my behavior.

“D-do you think you...can teach me how to use my magic?” I asked shyly. I looked at Mom as she gave me a gentle smile.

“Of course,” she said gently, “First, you need to search for you Mana Pool…”

“Mana Pool?” I asked, not hearing the term before.

“The Mana Pool is where all ponies, mostly Unicorns and Alicorns, get their magic from,” Mom explained, “Anyways, before you can start to use your magic, you need to find you pool first, though it’s usually near the heart.” I gave her a nod as I closed my eyes, focusing on finding the Mana Pool Mom was talking about. As I continued to search, I felt a tingling feeling coming from my horn.

“Okay, you’re going to learn a spell that all unicorns can learn, Telekinesis,” she started, “First, you need to ‘grip’ you magic around the object you want to lift.” After a lot of concentration, I finally felt the tingling extend through the air towards my object of choice, a fork. “Next, you need to visualize the object lifting in your mind, willing your magic to do the same.” Another ten minutes later, I was about to give up when the fork skyrocketed into the ceiling. I was in so much shock that I forgot to keep my magic wrapped around the fork, causing it to fall as I took jumped out of the chair before hiding under it. I felt my tail being pulled as I was pulled from under the chair and deposited back on it.

“Yes, I know I’m not supposed to be putting pressure on my leg right now,” I said, guilty, before she could say anything; my ears flat against my head as I looked down at the ground, tears flowing from my eyes.

“Sunny,” Mom said gently, using a hoof to lift my head so I’m looking at her, “I’m not mad at you, just...please don’t do that again.” I gave her a nod as she used a hoof to wipe away the tears from my eyes.

“Your Majesties?” A familiar voice said. I turned my head and was disappointed that it was just a pair of guards. One was a unicorn while the other was a pegasus. However, one of their voices seemed familiar…

“Hello, Golden Sword, Quick Shot,” Mom greeted, “I’m glad you could come on such short notice. I hope the trip from Trottingham was uneventful.”

“It was,” Golden agreed before turning to me, “Hello once again, your highness,” he said with a bow, “I’m glad you’ve recovered from your injuries.” That was when it hit me.

“I remember you now, you were one of the guards to save me from that…” I started before trailing off.

“Manticore,” he told me, “I have to say, you were quite lucky to survive one, much less out run one.” My right wing twitched as I remembered the pain that resulted from it.

“Please don’t remind me,” I shuddered at the memory that surfaced.

“Anyways, Sunny, Golden Sword and Quick Shot will be your personal guards for now on,” Mom told me, “Their sole job is to protect you from dangers and get you out of harm's way when possible.” I gave her a nod in understanding.

“Also, thank you for saving me,” I said, turning to Golden and Quick, the gratitude could be seen in my eyes, “I wouldn’t be here if you didn’t get to me.”

“There’s no need to thank us, Your Majesty,” Quick assured me, “We were only doing our jobs.” I gave him a nod before moving my focus back to the fork I was trying to levitate earlier.


“Today was productive,” I said with a yawn, trying to prevent myself from falling asleep on Mom’s back. I had managed to get down basic and advanced Telekinesis, though it drained me quite a bit to do so. Now, Mom and I were heading back to her chambers so Mom could lower the sun and raise the moon (Something keeps telling me that shouldn’t be possible) and to put me to bed.

“Indeed it was,” Mom agreed, using her magic to open the doors to her chambers, and walked inside. I saw Golden, Quick, and Mom’s personal guards flanked the doors before they closed. Mom walked over to her bed before placing me down on it. I rested there for a couple of minutes before Mom came back from the balcony and rested onto the bed. She pulled me against her chest, using her wings to cover me before pulling a blanket over us.

“Good night, Mom,” I yawned.

“Good night, Sunny,” she replied. I saw the lights go out as we rested on the bed. With my head against her chest, I fell asleep to the rhythmic sound of her heart beating.