• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 3,492 Views, 45 Comments

Broken Scooters - LightFeather



Cutie Mark crusaders prepare for the day, but Scootaloo gets injured on her way to the clubhouse.

  • ...
4
 45
 3,492

Friendship and Loss

-Broken Scooters-
Written By
LightFeather/Eviljbrian

Please note that My Little Pony and characters within this story are © Hasbro and Lauren Faust.
Also note that this most definitely takes place after the Canterlot Wedding. If you haven't watched through Season 2, you may know know some of the characters within the story.

Part 2 - Friendship and Loss

A new day was beginning in Ponyville. Sweetie Belle yawned sleepily as she was woken up by Applebloom. She looked out the window to see the sun was just barely peeking over the hills nearby Sweet Apple Acres, and then pulled her pillow over the top of her head. "Applebloom... it's too early to wake up...." She could smell freshly made pancakes, which caused her to think that it might not be a bad idea to wake up... in another ten minutes.

Applebloom just rolled her eyes and bit the blanket under Sweetie Belle, giving it a tug and spilling her friend onto a floor with a thud. "This here's normal wake up time fer us on th' farm Sweetie Belle. Besides, Ah' thought that we should go check on Scootaloo a'fore we go to school. Apple Jack is gonna put some treats in a bag fer Rainbow Dash fer us ta take ta her too."

Each of the suggestions, but more the sudden drop from the floor to the bed than anything, had Sweetie Belle up and going, after rubbing her head that is. She followed Applebloom to the breakfast table and took a seat, smiling at the stack of pancakes nearby. Apple Jack took one plate over for Sweetie Belle, and then one for Applebloom, drizzling syrup over them lightly. "Thar ya go girls. Eat up. I reckon' ya got big plans after school, don't ya?"

Both of the fillies nodded together and began to eat. Sweetie Belle blinked at the strange, but good taste of the pancakes. "These pancakes are extra yummy! What did you put in them?" The two sisters chuckled smiled before saying together in unison "Apples of course!" The shared response of both Applebloom and Apple Jack had all three of them laughing.
Soon after breakfast was over, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle began to walk down the path that led through the orchard and back to Ponyville. They waved to Apple Jack and Big Mac, both already working on bucking apples out of trees, pausing only to return the wave. Sweetie Belle looked towards Applebloom. "So, after school, we're gonna get the stuff we need right? What does the list say again?"

Applebloom pulled a small list from her saddlebag and looked through it. "Ah need wood... we got plenty o' that in the barn. Some paint, wheels, somethin' fer the handle. Ah'll have to get Scootaloo's old scooter to look at it and see everything Ah need. We're gonna hafta go to the toy store and hardware store too. Oh. And a trip inta Evertree Forest."

Sweetie Belle blinked at the suggestion, her eyes wide "You mean the haunted forest?" "T'aint haunted. Ah go there alot to see Zecora. Maybe she has something that can help both of us t' help Scootaloo. And we gotta tell her what happened too." Sweetie Belle nodded, still looking uneasy as they continued to walk towards the hospital. "I know! I just.... don't like the rest of the forest, that's all. But I'll do it if it's for Scootaloo."


It took a bit of walking but they arrived at the hospital. They looked up at each of the numbers, scratching their heads when Nurse Redheart found them. "Well hello there little ones. Can I help you find something?" Sweetie Belle smiled at the nurse and nodded. "Yea. We're here to visit our friend Scootaloo. Oh! And to bring some snacks for Rainbow Dash too." The nurse smiled and nodded. "Of course dears. Just don't stay too long. You don't want to be late for school. Only a few minutes."

Rainbow Dash was asleep in the chair, her forelegs on the bed with her head upon them. The door to the room slowly creaked open and the two fillies slowly entered the room to see their friend. Rainbow Dash yawned as she opened her eyes, rubbing them with her hoof as she saw the girls. "Huh? Oh... hi Applebloom, Sweetie Belle. Here to check on your friend huh?

The two girls just nodded, looking at Scootaloo. Sweetie Belle just sighed a bit. "Yea. She still hasn't woken up, has she?" Rainbow Dash just shook her head, reaching up to softly move some of Scootaloo's hair from her eyes. "Nah. Not yet anyway. But don't you worry girls. If she does, you'll be the first to know." Applebloom nodded, pulling out a small bag from her saddlebag. She moved around and gave it to Dash. "Here. Mah sister thought ya could use somethin' to eat, so she made ya some snacks."

Rainbow Dash looked into the bag and smiled, taking out a small tart to eat. She smiled at the girls before getting up, stretching her legs and wings. "Tell your sister thank you for me when you get home. Now I think you two should go to school. Come by later though. I'm sure Scoots here misses you two." The two girls nodded as they left the room, leaving Scootaloo and Dash alone.


It took the two friends longer than usual to get to school. Normally they would ride in a small cart or wagon, which was pulled by Scootaloo on her scooter, However, with both Scootaloo and her prized possession out of commission, they had to walk. As they arrived, they barely had time to talk to Snips, Snails, and Peppermint Twist before Cherrilee came outside. "Come on little ones. It's time for school." All the children ran inside, taking their seats at their usual spots. Snips and Snails sitting near each other, as well as Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, as usual.

Cherrilee looked across the room, noticing Scootaloo's vacant seat. Her gaze turned towards the other two crusaders. "Applebloom? Sweetie Belle? Where's Scootaloo?" The two friends looked towards their teacher, their ears folded back as they answered in unison, "The Hospital." Cherrilee's eyes went wide at that for a moment and the other kids talked to themselves. "Class, class. Settle down. I'm sure that the girls will tell us what they know."

Sweetie Belle nodded as she stood, looking to her classmates and then her teacher. "All we know is what Rainbow Dash told us. Scootaloo was on her way to meet us yesterday morning when her scooter hit a branch and crashed her into a tree. The doctor said she'll be ok in a few weeks. She has a broken leg and some scratches and bruises, but she didn't wake up yet."
Cherrilee's eyes went wide again. "She's not awake? Oh, that can't be good. It sounds to me like she's had a concussion." The younglings looked to each other, shrugging before Applebloom raised her hoof. "Miss Cherrilee? What in tarnation's a con.... con.... what you said?" Cherrilee shook her head a moment before smiling at her class "A good question Applebloom. A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury. It's caused by a blow, or a sudden force, to the head or body, or any other injury that jars or shakes the brain inside the skull."

Cherrilee smiled at the class and continued, "In Scootaloo's case, it's when she hit the tree in her crash. Although there may be cuts or bruises on the head or face, there may be no other visible signs of injury. You don't necessarily have to pass out to have a concussion. Some ponies that get them don't remember what happened right before the injury. With the proper rest, ponies usually recover fully, although some recover in a few hours, others could take a few weeks."
Diamond Tiara grinned, the snotty and prissy filly acting smug. "Ha! I knew that feather-head would get hurt. One less blank flank to see." All the other ponies looked towards her in shock, even Silver Spoon was in shock. Sure, Diamond Tiara was stuck up and looked down on most ponies, but what she said was just cruel and mean.

Applebloom jumped up, getting in close to Diamond Tiara, glaring at her. "What did ya just say miss prissy-pants?" Diamond Tiara stood, her eyes locked in the same glare at the pony in front of her "You heard me!" Cherrilee looked at the two and went over to them. "That's enough girls. Applebloom, back to your seat. Diamond Tiara, I'll see you after class. In detention!" Sweetie Belle held back a snicker as Applebloom returned to her seat.

"Now class. Today, I want all of you, with the exception of Diamond Tiara, to make something special for Scootaloo. To let her know we're all thinking of her." Her gaze shifted towards Diamond Tiara, a gaze that had the young, rich pony sinking into her seat "And as for you, you can start on your detention assignment by writing 'I will not make fun of ponies in the hospital' 100 times and by thinking about what your going to say when I talk to your parents."
The rest of the class laughed before going to the round art tables in the back of the room. Sweetie Belle took some lined paper and began writing some words before scribbling them out. Applebloom had a white paper, starting to draw out a rough picture of the scooter she was going to build. They were soon joined by Snips, Snails, Twist, and even Silver Spoon. Diamond Tiara was by herself at her desk, grumbling at her assignment.

The five friends looked towards Silver Spoon curiously, wondering why she joined them there. "Look... I'm sorry for Diamond Tiara. I know she wants her way all the time and we make fun of you, but what she said was just mean. I didn't think she could be THAT mean." Applebloom looked towards Silver and smiled. "Ya don't have ta apologize fer... her...." the way she said her sent a shiver along Snips and Snails' spines, "She jus' better be lucky Miss Cherrilee was here or I was gonna wollop her good."

Snips, Snails, and Twist all nodded their heads, they know how much Applebloom cared for her friends. They also know that since Applebloom works on her family's farm, she's much stronger than other fillies and even stronger than most colts her age, so it wouldn't take much for her to put Tiara in her place.

Snips looked towards the two crusaders. "So. What are you two gonna do for Scootaloo?" Snails, Twist, and Silver nodded in agreement, looking towards the two as well. Applebloom spoke first. "Well. What ah was thinking, was that since Scootaloo's scooter broke, ah'm gonna build her a new one. Ah just need to go all over Ponyville fer the parts." Sweetie Belle sighed, her head lowered slightly, "And I'm writing her a song, but it's not going well. I think I should visit Fluttershy and ask for her help." The four nodded to the two, commenting on what great ideas they had.

While Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were thinking about their own projects, most of the other kids made various cards of all kinds of colors, some with paint, others with crayons, even some that sparkled from glitter. By the end of the day, there was even a small clay pony that resembled Scootaloo, and even Featherweight got a picture of the entire class and framed it. Twist decided that when she got home, she was going to make enough candy for a small bag just for Scootaloo.

Silver Spoon wondered what she could do. She wasn't too talented at art before she had an idea, getting a bag and going over to Cherrilee, looking up at her. "Miss Cherrilee. I wasn't sure what I could do until just now, but now I think I know. Since Applebloom wants to build Scootaloo a new scooter, can I collect some money to help her?" Cherrilee smiled and nodded "That's a wonderful idea. Go ahead." Cherrilee reached into her desk and pulled out five bits, putting them into the bag. "There you go. That should be a good start."

Silver Spoon walked around, whispering to each pony in her class. Each one nodded and went to their desk to get one or two bits and put them into the bag. Diamond Tiara however, just stuck her nose up at the idea. Silver Spoon shook her head at her friend and sighed before going over and placing the bag onto the table, sliding it over towards Applebloom. "Applebloom. Take this. I did a small collection of bits from everyone here to help you get what you need for the new scooter. I'm not sure what else I could do."

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were stunned, smiling at Silver. "Ah reckon this'll be more than enough to get the parts Ah' need. Thank ya Silver Spoon." Sweetie Belle nodded. "Yea. I think that's the nicest thing we've seen you do." Silver Spoon just blushed, her head lowered slightly. "It was nothing, really. It's going to take some time to make up to Diamond Tiara though." Applebloom shook her head "Well. She is your friend, but even if she doesn't want to be anymore after today, we'll be your friends." Silver Spoon just smiled and nodded.

The rest of the day at school went by quickly and uneventfully. Once over, all the children filed out of the classroom in glee, with the exception of Diamond Tiara. Cherrilee gave Silver Spoon a note to deliver to Diamond's parents. She took it and put it in her bag before catching up with Applebloom and her friends.

"So. Going to see Scootaloo now?" Applebloom shook her head. "Not yet. Me and Sweetie Belle hafta go and git the things ah need for Scootaloo's new scooter. Ah gotta go to Evertree Forest too and see Miss Zecora." Sweetie Belle smiled and nodded. "Yea. And I gotta go visit Fluttershy and ask for her help too. But we'll get everybody when we go see Scootaloo later on."

Silver Spoon just nodded and smiled "Ok! I should take this to Diamond Tiara's parents too." She just sighed softly while Snips, Snails and Twist walked over to her before Twist spoke up. "We'll go with you. It'll be better that way." Silver nodded again. "Thank you. Ya know. Your not that bad." Applebloom smiled to Silver. "Ya'll just need ta git ta know us better s'all. But we better get movin' so we kin get this stuff done."

Everyone nodded to each other, going their separate ways, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle making their way into town. "So where we gotta go first Applebloom?" Applebloom thought for a moment before she got an idea. "The sports store ah think. Scootaloo usually goes there t' git new wheels for her scooter. Maybe the pony there will know what to do." Sweetiebelle nodded and followed along quickly.


It didn't take long for the two girls to find the sporting goods store. They slowly opened the door and entered the shop. They looked around with wide eyes, gazing at the various equipment. Different types of balls, protective equipment, bikes, skates, skateboards, and even scooters. Sweetie Belle nudged her friend towards the counter.

Behind the counter was an earth pony. His coat was tan and his main and tail were yellow with a red streak going through them, his eyes hidden by a pair of sunglasses. On his flank was the image of a skateboard. He seemed to be on a skateboard as well, balancing on the front two wheels as he spotted the girls before hopping off and kicking the board to fly into the air before he caught it.

"Whassap..." he began before he recognized the two. "OH! Your the other two CMC's aren't ya? Scootaloo talks about ya all the time when she's here. Tell her that her new wheels are here, will ya?"

Applebloom lowered her ears slightly and sighed "Actually Half-Pipe, she's not gonna be doin' much fer a while. She's hurt 'n in the hospital right now." Half-Pipe lowered his sunglasses a bit. "Bummer. Lil Scootaloo hurt? What a drag man. What happened?"

Sweetie Belle looked up at him. "We were gonna meet day before yesterday, but on her way here she crashed into a tree and she hasn't woken up yet. Her scooter's broken to pieces too. That's why we're here. Applebloom's gonna try to make a new scooter"

Half-Pipe nodded as he though. "Hmmm... easiest way to make a scooter.... I'd say is a skateboard and put a handle on it, but I think you already have a plan. Still, bummer about her scooter bein' broke. It was a gift from.... well.... let's just say someone close to her." He turned and looked through some drawers behind him.

"But I think I can help you out still. I have a small book that tells the basics of making scooters and skateboards. I'll let ya borrow it for a while. Tells you what parts you need. Speaking of which..." he started to walk over to some shelves, looking through them, picking out several parts and some wheels, putting them onto the counter.

"These are the wheel assembly parts used for scooters. And these wheels are same high-quality wheels that are on Scootaloo's scooter when she brings it in. When you finish building it, bring it here and I'll help you out, ok?"

Applebloom smiled to him, setting the money for the parts onto the counter. "Thank ya kindly Mr. Half-Pipe!" Half-Pipe thought for a moment, taking only half the price and giving Applebloom the rest of the bits back. "Here. I'll only charge ya half since it's gonna be for Scootaloo." He reached down and rubbed Applebloom's hair, causing her to giggle before putting the bag of parts into her saddlebags and waving to him.

"Thank ya again Mr. Half-Pipe. When ah git done, ah'll bring it to ya t'look at!" She hopped out the door and smiled towards Sweetie Belle "He's pretty cool. Maybe he can help us get our cutie marks later." Sweetie Belle nodded as she smiled. "Yea! I think we should head back to your place though. It's getting late and I think you still have stuff to do too. I'll help you with it too."

Applebloom thought for a moment and nodded. "Yea, that's true. Luckily the hardware store's on the way back t' the farm. We'll stop in so ah can git what ah need from there too." Sweetie Belle nodded as they made their way down the street, stopping for a quick snack along the way. Soon after, they arrived at the hardware store.


The bell rang as the entered the older store. A fairly old pony perked his ear up. His coat was brown and he had a grey mane, wearing heavy glasses. "Eh? Who's there?" Applebloom went over to the counter as she peeked over the edge. "It's me Mr. Ten Penny!" The older pony smiled, adjusting the glasses on his face.

"Ah! If it isn't little Applebloom. What kin I do ya fer? If it's about the supplies fer th' farm, we're still waitin' on them." Applebloom giggled and shook her head. "No sir, Mr. Ten Penny. I'm here for some stuff to make Scootaloo a new scooter."
Ten Penny brought his hoof up to tap his chin. "A new scooter eh? I think I kin help ya. Some rounded screws, a couple of nuts... I'm guessin' ya have some wood already too." Applebloom nodded and pulled the magazine from her saddlebags, opening the page to the parts list and sliding it onto the counter. "Here's the list Mr. Ten Penny. And yea, Ah already have wood at home and gonna see Zecora later fer some help too."

Ten Penny nodded as he looked through the list. "Hmm.... yes, I think I have most of these things. And judging by this magazine, ya'll done visited that Half-Pipe whippersnaper. Sweetie Belle nodded "Yea. He's going to help make sure that it's put together right."

Ten penny nodded once again as he hobbled into a back room. Applebloom looked to Sweetie Belle "His family's been in Ponyville since it was settled. They came here the same time as our family and we've been tradin' ever since after they done helped with Sweet Apple Acres." Sweetie belle just nodded as Ten Penny nobbled from the back room with two bags, setting them on the counter.

"Here ya go Applebloom. 27 bits. I also put some stuff in that yer sister and grandmother was wanting. You be sure to tell Granny Smith I said hi." Applebloom put the money on the countertop, smiling at him and putting the bags into Sweetie Belle's saddlebags. "Of course Mr. Ten Penny. Ah'll be sure to do that. And thank you very much!" Ten Penny opened the register with a ring, sliding the bits inside before it closed. "Such a good kid. Just like her sister."


Applebloom and Sweetie Belle walked through the gates of the farm. After the hardware store they stopped to see Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash to check on them. Rainbow looked exhausted, and no apparent change in Scootaloo's condition. They stayed for a little while before making their way back home. Most of the work for the day had already been done. Big Mac was taking the cart of apples to the barn when he stopped to wait for the kids.

"Hop on girls. It's a long walk and ya look like your carrying alot." They readily agreed and climbed onto the cart, enjoying the ride back. Granny Smith was asleep in her rocking chair. Applebloom will tell her Ten Penny's simple message of hello when it was dinner time. They went into the house and were greeted by Applejack. Applebloom lowered her ears as she stepped towards her sister.

"Ah'm sorry we didn't come home sooner. We wanted to get the stuff fer the new scooter fer Scootaloo and then we went to see her and Rainbow Dash." Applejack just smiled to her sister, nodding to the pair. "Heck, Ah figured that's what was takin' ya'll so long. Ah woulda done the same if'n it were any of th' girls too." She pulled her sister close and hugged her.
"Oh yea. Applejack. Ten Penny had givin' us some of the stuff that you and Granny Smith were wanting too. It's in the bags with our stuff." Applejack nodded and helped empty the saddlebags before nudging them to the table. "Come now Applebloom. You too Sweetie Belle. Ya'll stayed out late and I kin repect that, what with Scootaloo in the hospital an' all. But ya'll still got yer homework to do. Go on and get it done while we get dinner done."

The two girls sighed and nodded, slowly going to the table and starting on their homework, only stopping for dinner and to help with the dishes before working again. After that was done, it was bath time. Applejack just finished the tub with warm water and a little bit of apple-scented bubble bath as the two younger girls jumped in, Applebloom after pulling her bow from her hair.

Sweetie Belle looked towards the two sisters. "Ya know. I think something might be wrong with Rainbow Dash."
Applejack just blinked. "Wha'cha mean sugah?"

"Well, It looked to me like she was really tired and worn down. I don't think she slept very much since she started to stay with Scootaloo."

Applebloom nodded. "Yea. Ah don't want her gettin' sick from not gettin any sleep. Everypony needs to sleep sometime and it'll catch up to her."

Applejack nodded to her sister. "Well girls. When you two mosey on ta bed, ah'll go and talk to Rainbow, try tae git her to git some sleep."

The girls nodded and finished washing. They climbed out of the tub and dried themselves off before making their way to Applebloom's room for the night. "G'night sis."

"Good night Applejack!"

Applejack smiled at the two, closing the door. "G'night girls. Don't ya stay up too late either. Ya'll still got school and that scooter yer buildin' too."

The girls nodded and climbed into bed, falling asleep in a few minutes. Applejack made one more peek into Applebloom's room before pulling her hat onto her head and walking to the door. "Hey Big Mac! Ah'm gonna go to the hospital and see Rainbow Dash. Think ya can watch the girls till Ah git back?"

Big Mac just nodded. "Eeeyup."

"Thanks. Ah won't be gone long." And with that, she left for the hospital.


Rainbow Dash had just nodded off, exhaustion finally overtaking her. Even though she was in the chair next to Scootaloo, her head managed to find it's way onto the bed. Two hours in, her ear twitched as she woke up after hearing some rough coughing. She rubbed her eyes to look at the clock before looking towards Scootaloo, the filly's skin having gone pale. Dash immediately went to the call doctor button.

"Hello? Is anyone there? I need a doctor here now! Scootaloo's pale, she's coughing, she's coughing up blood, she..."
Dash's eyes went wide as she dropped the small box with the button, her hoof shaking. There lay Scootaloo, but she wasn't breathing

"N-No.... S-stop that... this isn't funny..."

Tears welled in her eyes as she sniffled, trying to revive Scootaloo, trying to help her breathe.

"Scootaloo... c'mon wake up kid.... breathe, cough, anything!"

The doctor rushed in and gasped. He called the nurse and she had to pull Dash back as the doctor wheeled Scootaloo's bed out the door, calling for other doctors. "I need help here and prep the O.R. STAT!"

Rainbow Dash just shook, tears running down her face as she shook her head.

What.... what happened... what went wrong? The doctor said it was just a broken leg, but...

Dash brought her hoof up to rub the tears from her eyes before sliding the chair to the window, looking up towards the moon. She stared at it a moment before she began to do something uncharacteristic to her, something very unlike her. Rainbow Dash, buried her face in her hooves, and began to sob to herself.

It wasn't much longer after that when Applejack stepped into the room. She saw Scootaloo's bed was missing and her eyes went wide. She stepped in further, looking towards the window and walking over to Rainbow Dash. "Rainbow.... Ah know Ah'll not like the answer, but where's..."

Rainbow Dash turned and wrapped her forelegs around Applejack, burying her face into the workhorse's neck as she sobbed. "T-They took her... I fell asleep, but then I heard her coughing, and she was coughing up some blood, she was pale, and then she stopped breathing"

Applejack closed her eyes and turned her head. She was right, she didn't like the answer, but she wrapped her hoof around to rub down the back of Dash's neck. "Ah'll stay with ya 'till we hear word. Ah'll get the others after." Dash nodded while holding onto Applejack, her whole body shaking.

Applejack had spent almost an hour staying with Rainbow Dash, comforting her and trying to calm her. It was a minute after that the doctor opened the door, slowly stepping in. He slowly looked up towards Apple Jack, his expression one of sorrow. Apple Jack's pulled her hat off her head, swallowing the lump in her throat as Rainbow Dash looked towards the doctor.
"D-Doc? W-What is it? Is.... is she..."

With how brave she was, usually filled with courage, she found it hard to finish her sentence, not wanting to finish her thoughts. The doctor just lowered his head, shaking it slowly.

"The extent of Scootaloo's injuries were worse than we initially thought. I'm sorry Miss Dash.... I'm afraid she's gone..."
With that the doctor backed out of the room, leaving Applejack and Dash alone. Dash just stared at the door, her eyes wide as her body trembled again, Applejack holding her close with tears in her eyes as well.

"Ah'm sorry Dash. Ah'll go get Twilight and have her send fer Rarity. This sure isn't gonna be easy to tell the young'uns fer sure."

Applejack stayed with Rainbow Dash for a while longer, before slowly leaving for the Library, her hooves carrying her swiftly through the night. Rainbow Dash, however, just sat there, crying, broken. How could this happen and with one so young?


A week had passed. Celestia and Cadence cut their trip short once they received word from Twilight. Cherrilee declared that there would not be classes for the week when she received word. The class was there to say goodbye to their friend, even Diamond Tiara. Soon, there were only a handful of ponies left. Applejack, Applebloom, Rarity, and Sweetie Belle. Rarity and Sweetie Belle were wearing a lavish black veil over her face, and had made appropriate attire for the others.
Applejack was next to Applebloom, one hand holding a black hat very much like her normal one to her chest. She was there for her sister as well, who was wearing a black bow in her hair and crying softly. The two younger girls were also wearing different capes. The capes were black, with a midnight blue pony over a silver shield.

Applejack pulled her hat on just as it had started to rain. She looked to Rarity, nodding slowly, who returned her nod. "C'mon girls. It's time we git goin' before the rain picks up." She slowly turned, walking alongside Rarity back towards town. The two girls placed a hoof on the gravestone in front of them.

"Ah'll sure miss ya Scootaloo. Ah promise to come back and see ya all the time."

"Me too Scootaloo. Every day. I don't even want my cutie mark anymore if it would bring you back."

Applebloom nodded and rubbed her eyes, the two girls slowly walking away, stopping to give one more look behind them before catching up to their sisters. Overhead, a cyan pegasus flew upwards into the clouds, leaving a rainbow trail behind her. She flew higher than she thought possible, thinking before she stopped.

Entering a free fall with tears in her eyes, she angled herself downwards, her speed reaching terminal velocity as she pierced through the clouds, cutting a hole enough to let a beam of sunshine glow upon shine through. She didn't bother opening her wings as she fell faster, rapidly approaching the ground. She just curled herself and held her legs to herself as she cried and fell.

The sunlight, it's warm and gentle glow emanating from the hole in the clouds, cast it's light upon the gravestone. Leaning upon the stone, was a new, red scooter, with a normal Cutie Mark Crusader cape tied to it, along with a paper inside a frame with words written upon it. The stone itself having an inlay of a red heart made of ruby dust. The words engraved were short, but one could see the care of thought behind them.

Rest Peacefully
Scootaloo
May your spirit soar the skies
And your memory forever in our hearts.