• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 3,488 Views, 45 Comments

Broken Scooters - LightFeather



Cutie Mark crusaders prepare for the day, but Scootaloo gets injured on her way to the clubhouse.

  • ...
4
 45
 3,488

Accidents

-Broken Scooters-
Written By
LightFeather/Eviljbrian

Please note that My Little Pony and characters within this story are © Hasbro and Lauren Faust.
Also note that this most definately takes place after the Canterlot Wedding. If you haven't watched through Season 2, you may know know some of the characters within the story.

Part 1 - Accidents

The sun was just beginning to rise over Ponyville, signaling the start of the day. All across the town the pony folk was starting their day. The sweet smells of freshly baked cakes, donuts and bread was emanating from Sugarcube Corner, thanks to Mr. And Mrs. Cake. Birds were beginning to sing their songs as Fluttershy tended to the breakfast of her many animals and Applejack was already hard at work down in Sweet Apple Acres, bucking trees for fresh apples for the market. Even Rainbow Dash was up early, clearing the clouds in the sky from the previous night's rainstorm in preparation for the nice and sunny day. The only ones who weren't up and moving yet was Twilight Sparkle and Spike, having stayed up late to study and learn a new spell yet again.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders each were getting ready to leave their homes. Sweetie Belle left Rarity's boutique to meet at their clubhouse. Apple Bloom didn't have far to go so she was preparing some snacks for her and her friends, with help from Big Mac of course.

Scootaloo smiled as she tightened the straps of her knee and elbow pads and put her helmet on, placing the chinstrap and lowering her goggles over her eyes. She went to her scooter and climbed onto it, fluttering her wings as they sped up, making their tell-tale buzz as she began to speed down the trail. She quickly gained speed as she rolled along the trail she usually took, performing her small stunts. A jump here and there, jumping off her scooter and clearing a low branch. Once she was through the first set of trees, she looked overhead and saw Rainbow Dash getting rid of the last couple of clouds in that area. Scootaloo watched Rainbow for a few seconds while riding her scooter before looking ahead of her, seeing a branch in the road that had fallen. She yelled out and tried to stop, but it was too late. Rainbow dash heard the yell and looked down just in time to see Scootaloo's scooter hitting the branch, sending both of them flying and crashing into a nearby tree with a sickening crack. She groaned with her vision a blur, seeing Rainbow Dash above her, trying to talk to her, and then everything went black.

Dash flew down to check on Scootaloo after the crash. "Hey kid. Ya ok? Say something will ya?" She looked along Scootaloo's smaller form and gasped out, eyes wide. Quickly she flew up and got a smaller cloud and very carefully lifted Scootaloo onto it along with the broken scooter. Flying quickly to town with the young filly resting on the cloud in front of her, worried about the girl "You'll be ok or my name isn't Rainbow Dash... I hope..." leaving her signature rainbow streak behind her as she flew.

At the Cutie Mark Crusader's clubhouse, Sweetie Belle was pacing back and fourth, and Apple Bloom was working on repairing some of the damage to their clubhouse from the storm the night before while trying to think of what they could do today to try to earn their cutie marks. "How about we try making potions?" Sweetie Belle asked. To which Apple Bloom replied "Nah. We already tried that, remember what happened on Hearts and Hooves day? Ohh! Ah know! How about..... no... we did that too... and where in the hay is Scootaloo? She's usually here by now."
"I dunno. It isn't like her to be late like this. I'm starting to get worried."
"Me too. What if she was kidnapped by a dragon, and she's waiting for someone to save her? We could be dragon slayers!"
"Uhmm... I don't think that's a good idea Apple Bloom. Did ya forget that Spike's a dragon? And he's the only dragon for a long ways."
"Oh yea... Ah forgot about that Sweetie Belle.... and Ah forgot you have a crush on him too." Apple Bloom grinned and giggled at that as Sweetie Belle blushed deeply.
"I.... I do not!"
"Do to. If ya don't then why are ya blushing like that?"
"I am not blushing.... it's just a little warm in here, that's all.."
Apple Bloom began to giggle and bounce around "Do to! Do to! Sweetie Belle likes Spike!"

It was about this time that Applejack opened the door, breathing hard "Girls! Grab yer saddlebags and let's get movin! Big Mac's outside with the cart, now hurry!" Apple Bloom lowered her head "Aww sis. What's the rush? We're waitin' for Scootaloo." It was then Applejack looked towards her sister, shaking her head "That's just it sugar cube. It's about Scootaloo. She's been hurt. Bad."

Both Sweetie Belle's and Apple Bloom's eyes went wide as they looked to each other before looking to Applejack again. "What!" Yelled Apple Bloom, "What in the hay happened?!" The girls grabbed their saddlebags and bolted towards the door and the cart outside, Applejack following "Ah dunno girls, but we're gonna git ya to see yer friend. Rainbow Dash took her to the hospital so Ah imagine she's gonna be jus' fine." Applejack started running along with her brother as he pulled the cart with the two girls in it.

It didn't take long for them to reach the hospital. Rainbow Dash was already in the waiting room when Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle rushed in, followed by Applejack. Sweetie looked up at Dash alongside Apple Bloom, seeing the aqua coated mare with the broken scooter in her hooves, "Where's Scootaloo? Is she ok? What happened?" "Applejack pulled the two girls to the side and put them into a chair as she looked at them "Now simmer down ya'll. Ah'm sure that Rainbow Dash will tell us what she knows but ya gotta remember that we're in a hospital and ya'll gotta be quiet in here."
It was then that Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity came in. They went over near Rainbow and AJ and looked around, noticing that Twilight and Spike wasn't there. "Uhmm.... where's Twilight? Didn't anybody tell her to come too?" Fluttershy asked out loud, at least loud for her. Applejack looked towards her "Ah told her and she'll be here soon." They all nodded and after a minute or two, Spike and Twilight arrived. The two took an empty seat as they waited as well, but both of them stayed unusually silent. Pinkie seemed to be the only one to notice. She knew it was a hospital, and could see their sad, worried expressions. A friend of theirs was hurt afterall... but Spike's usually so.... vocal, especially about his friends, but he's even unusually quiet..

As Rarity was about to say something, the doctor made his way into the room. The eyes of everyone looked towards him, Rainbow's eyes more than the others. "Well doc. How is she?" The doctor sighed a bit and looked towards the group, smiling at them. "Don't worry, she'll be ok. Good thing you brought her here as fast as you did. She's got a fractured leg but I think it'll heal in a few weeks. She's still unconscious though, but I wouldn't worry too much. Other than that just a couple cuts and bruises. If she wasn't wearing her safety gear, it could've been alot worse, but she does need her rest. I expect her to wake up sometime in the next day or two. I'll have to ask you all to come back later for now to check on her." All the ponies nodded in agreement, except for Rainbow Dash, who just stood and walked towards him. "Please doc. Can't she have at least one pony here for her when she wakes up?"

The doctor thought about it for a moment before nodding "Yes, I suppose I can let one of you stay with her." The Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle whispered to themselves for a bit, Applejack looking down at them with a raised eyebrow. "Now hold on there you young'uns. What are ya'll plannin' THIS time?" Apple Bloom held up her hoof for a moment as she finished talking in secret with Sweetie Belle, nodding to each other before walking towards the doctor, looking up at him "Well sir...." Sweetie Belle started "If only one of us gets to stay with her..." then she looked towards Apple Bloom. "We'd like for it to be Rainbow Dash. True that me and Sweetie Belle are her best friends, but Ah think it's fittin' that her rescuer should be with her."
Apple Bloom and Rarity both looked down at their sisters and smiled "Well Ah'll be. That's a mighty grown up decision ya two came up with." Rarity nodded and added in "I most certainly agree. It's most assuredly a sign of sophistication. Well Rainbow? What do you say?" Rainbow looked to the fillies and smiled at the two, nodding "Of course I'll stay with her. And when she wakes up, I'll be sure to send word to everyone." They all smiled as Dash stood and followed the doctor to the room Scootaloo was in. The rest of the group left, knowing their friend was going to be ok. Applejack and Rarity put Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle into the cart and he trotted back to Sweet Apple Acres. The rest of the ponies, and spike, made their way to the library. Spike and Twilight keeping completely silent the entire way there.

Rainbow Dash looked around the small hospital room. It took some talking, but the doctor agreed to put Scootaloo into a room to herself. It was a room just like the one she was in a while back, when she sprained her wing, with two beds, but the other bed was currently empty. She looked down at Scootaloo, smiling at her softly. "heh... your one tough kid Scoots.... I may have to take you under my wing and help you be almost as good as me when your all better." Dash then lowered her head to kiss the top of the girl's head carefully, moving a chair next to her bed and sitting next to her. "Don't worry kid. I'll be here when you wake up." She blinked and stepped into the hall before returning with two books, one being the book she was currently working on, 'Daring Do and the Lost Crusade' and the other being the first book in the series that she would read to Scootaloo later.

Apple Bloom sat in thought, her ears lowered with her head on her table "It's sad about Scootaloo... We gotta do something for her." Sweetie Belle nodded in agreement, "Yea. We're gonna hafta go tell Miss Cherrilee too. She's gonna be worried too. And we should do something for Scootaloo for when she gets out of the hospital" Apple Bloom opened her eyes and smiled "Yea. Ah think ah know one thing we can do for her. We can make her a new scooter. Ya saw how her other one was all broken up into pieces." Sweetie Belle nodded and thought "But what could I do for her?" She then sighed and laid her head onto their table. Apple Bloom placed some tools onto the table as she smiled to her friend, "Ah know! Why don'cha help me make Scootaloo's new scooter, and then we can write her a song and you can sing it!" Sweetie Belle looked towards Apple Bloom and shook her head "But you know I don't like singing in front of a crowd."

"Not to worry. There isn't gonna be too many ponies around to hear ya. And you gotta remember, this is for Scootaloo! Your singin' might just help her wake up sooner." To that suggestion, Sweetie Belle thought for a moment, nodding before looking towards her friend, "Ok then. I'll do it." Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom together lifted their hooves together and bumped them together, as they said in unison "For Scootaloo!"

As Twilight, Spike and the rest returned to the library, both Spike and Twilight went to the shelves, starting to go through the books, as if searching, tossing one by one behind them as they went. The other four watched curiously. "Twilight dear, I'd absolutely hate to point out anything, but if something's wrong, you can tell us." Rarity calmly said. Pinkie Pie, of course, was bouncing around. "Yea Twilight! We're your friends, and if there's a problem, you know you can always turn towards your friends because that's what friends are for, isn't that right? Huh? Am I right?" Applejack lassoed a rope around Pinkie and pulled her back over, hog-tieing her hooves together. "

As excitable as Pinkie is, she's right. Ya gotta let us know what's wrong so we can help." Fluttershy just nodded. Twilight let out a defeated sigh, however, it came from the opposite side of the room, "Ok girls, fine, I'll tell you." They all looked towards Twilight, and then towards the direction her voice came from, directly towards Spike. Fluttershy hovered over next to him, speaking in her small and quiet voice, "Uhmm... excuse me Spike, but would you mind telling us why Twilight's over there but her voice is coming from over here?" Spike then gently pushed Fluttershy away, speaking, but it was Twilight's voice that came out. "That's because it IS Twilight." The rest of the girls stood in disbelief. "Twilight..." Applejack started, "If'n your here... then who's that over there?"

Their eyes shifted towards Twilight, who hopped down from the ladder and sat on the floor, head in hooves, just grumbling slightly before speaking up, Spike's voice coming from her mouth "It's spike! Who else would it be? As much as I like Twilight as a friend, I wouldn't want to be in her body like this!" Pinkie Pie opened her eyes wide and started rolling on the floor in laughter. "HAHAHA! Spike sounds like Twilight and Twilight sounds like Spike! That's the funniest thing I've ever seen!" Rarity's horn glowed softly as she used her unicorn magic to float one of Twilight's pillows over and letting it drop on Pinkie's face, muffling her laughs. Twilight, in Spike's body, spoke up, "I was up late researching again and I found a body transference spell. It pretty much takes two ponies, or in this case a pony and a dragon, and essentially swaps them, but I don't know how to reverse it. I don't even remember casting it, and even if I could reverse the spell, it would have to be up to Spike to cast it since he's in my body. Ohhhh, this is horrible."

Rarity went over to the dragon, placing an arm around her "OH twilight, you know we'll help you. Tell you what, I'll make a special trip to Canterlot to get Princess Celestia and have her come help. I'm sure she would know something to help you." Applejack nodded, adding in "Yea. Fer now, all ya can do is wait it out. Who knows, maybe ya'll will learn somethin' about each other." Spike looked up at Applejack and stood up, nodding "You know, your right. This will be a learning experience for the both of us. At least until we're back in our own bodies. Thank you girls." They all smiled before they began to laugh at the situation.

The sun slowly began to set, closing out the day. Both Twilight and Spike decided to share her bed, due to the unusual circumstances. Since Rarity had gotten on the first train she could get bound for Canterlot, Applejack invited Sweetie Belle to stay with her, to which the filly jumped at the chance, giving her more time to help Apple Bloom with their respective projects. Fluttershy had volunteered to take care of Opalescence, and had a little bit of a hard time at first due to the feline's nature.
Back at the hospital, Rainbow Dash set the book aside, not having progressed too much in it due to her vigilance over the wounded filly in the bed next to her. She didn't stir much, only breathing slowly. Dashie brought a hoof up, wiping a tear from her eyes as she leaned down, kissing the girl's head before laying her head nearby, slowly drifting to sleep, and yet somehow feeling a little bit responsible for what happened yet knowing that it was an accident too. All she could do, is to be there for her.

Up in Canterlot, it was late when the train pulled into the station. Rarity got off and began her trek towards the castle where the princesses resided. Judging from the time, more than likely she would run into Princess Luna before she would meet Celestia, sighing to her self. "I so need my beauty sleep... I'm usually in bed by now..." Rarity hung her head low. All the shops were closed, so she couldn't do a little side-trip shopping so she wasn't too distracted. However with her head hung low and how tired she was, it didn't take her long to bump into some pony.

"Oh I'm so terribly sorry. I just arrived in Canterlot and I am not used to being awake this late so please, excuse me." It was then that rarity heard a very familiar and sophisticated voice. "Ah! Miss Rarity! What a pleasure it is to bump into you again." Rarity blinked and opened her eyes as she looked up, blushing as she gazed at one of Canterlot's elite, one she had met before. "Oh! Mr Fancypants, what a pleasure it is to.... uhmmm... bump into you again." She smiled as her ears folded back, remembering the events of their last meeting, where she had gone to Canterlot, and the outcome of him meeting her friends from Ponyville.

"Oh, but let me help you up dear Rarity. Now pray tell, what brings you to Canterlot so late?" Rarity sighed a bit as she looked towards the castle. "Truth be told Mr Fancypants, I came to see Princess Celestia, and to ask her to help my friend Twilight." Fancypants nodded and began to walk with her towards the castle. "Now now Rarity, take your time and we will walk together and catch up. And tell me what has happened."

The walk took longer than intended, but they arrived at the main castle gates. An armored pony greeted them, his eyes peering at first Fancypants, then Rarity before smiling and nodding to allow them entrance. "Hello Rarity. It's nice to see you again." Rarity smiled at him "Nice to see you too Shining Armor. Or is it Prince Shining Armor now, since your married to Princess Miamore Cadenza?" Shining Armor chuckled "Shining Armor is fine. And you know you can call her Cadence. But since your here so late, I'm guessing something has happened?" Rarity nodded "Yes.... it's your sister actually." Shining Armor was in front of her in an instant, lifting her up and giving her a small shake "What? Something's happened to Twi? She's not hurt is she? If she is, Celestia help me I'll find who did it and make them pay!"

Rarity groaned and shook her head to clear the slight dizziness from getting shaken. "Don't worry, she's not hurt. Just a little magic mishap is all. She sent me to see Princess Celestia about a solution." Twilight's brother shook his head "Well, Celestia's gone to another town with Cadence, talking to some of the people there about the changelings that got away. But I can take you to see Princess Luna. She might be able to help." Rarity nodded, "Well. It's a start at least. Very well. Let's go see Luna." And with that, the trio made their way to the throne room in the Midnight Tower.

Luna's throne room looked much different than her sister's. Instead of the reds, golds, and purples of Celestia's throne room, Luna's throne was silver, the long rug that rested atop the onyx tile floor was purple with a deeper violet along the edges, matching the upholstery of her throne. The walls were painted with a dark blue color, but decorated with shimmering lights that mirrored the various constellations of the sky, and the water of the fountains glowed with a blue light. Where Celestia had pink flowers on either side of her throne's front, Luna's were blue, and of course a pair of her own royal guards were there. A pair of grey stallions with yellow slitted eyes, both wearing dark blue and black armor.

Luna looked at the trio that entered, nodding after hearing the predicament Twilight is going through. "We are grateful that you came to us for assistance, however I know not of a spell that could undo what has been done. But we will assist you in going through the library until Celestia returns, perhaps something may be there. But for now we will have a room prepared for you Rarity." She nodded towards one of the guards, who turned and left to do just that. Rarity bowed down as she smiled "Why thank you your majesty. "

Luna smiled at Rarity. "Please, just call us Luna. Twilight and her friends are always welcome here. Now off to your rooms and get some rest. It will take a good while to search the library for the spell you seek. In the meantime, I will send word to Celestia about Twilight, and ask for her counsel and guidance." And with that, Rarity, Fancypants, and Shining Armor left. After a short goodbye, each went their separate ways. Rarity to her room, Fancypants to his home, and Shining Armor back to his post, but they all agreed to help search the library in the morning.