• Published 16th Mar 2016
  • 1,878 Views, 178 Comments

Daring Do and the Sword of Excalibur - Silver Malice



When Scootaloo collapses, screaming about a magic sword, evil gryphons, and a strange golden mare with grey mane, it’s up to Rainbow Dash and her hero Daring Do to keep Scootaloo from the clutches of an evil fanatic in search of the sword Excalibur

  • ...
12
 178
 1,878

Chapter 11: Strategies

Author's Note:

This has been a while, i was having a bit of health trouble with an infected wound, and editing has been taking a bit, but here we are, the next two chapters are already mostly finished and or in the process of editing right now so they should be out much sooner.

The Equestrian guard had traveled hard all day to reach the wetlands, crossing the Spinal Forest and the Tap Pool plateau, the hours spent traversing the undergrowth and frenzy of the Everfree turning just up to eleven by the time they had made it to clear ground. The last stretch had been increasingly difficult, making their way over the black swamp and now into the grasslands that encircled the gryphon spire.

With the Spire now within view the equestrian guard had begun to set up their base camp at the foot of the grasslands. The pegasai had been grounded to keep them from possibly being spotted from the Spire and instead had started to fortify their position. Several of them had taken spots as sentries. They now stood in silence positioned around the newly formed perimeter of the makeshift camp.

Meanwhile as the pegasai rested and or took up guard positions for the camp In the center of this bubbling mess of sweat, fur, and heat was Celestia and Spit Shine. The two of them going over everything that needed to be finished before they could advance any further.

“Is this the best place to set up camp colonel?” inquired Celestia. The sun princess observing several guards struggling to set up a tent through a quagmire of dirt and mud.

“No choice your highness, if we risk any closer we could betray our position to the scallywags in yonder tower,” finished the officer, his current attention spent on the set of plans before him. “Once we’ve established a fortified position we can proceed further.”

“Shouldn’t we bring in the rest of the pegasai to help? She inquired.

“Can’t, we need them to remain on sentry duty. The last thing we want is to be taken by surprise.”

“Are you sure?” Celestia still couldn’t help but feel that if they brought in the pegasai, the camp could be finished faster.

“I have enough experience to know that at any moment life can come at you with his long-johns down,” granted Spit Shine. The cavalry colonel currently was having a rough time over this last patch of terrain in the black swamp. His uniform and armor, as well as his silver spurs were all drenched in mud and tar. The stains on his uniform were bad enough, but he seemed very concerned about his spurs. The colonel decided to take the moment right now to pry the muck off his spurs by dragging his hooves over the grass. “Besides, we can’t risk them flying and being spotted anyway,” he quickly added.

Celestia let it go at that as she could see the wisdom in it. In truth the sun princess was a bit out of her element. War had never been her strong suit, nor was violence. Celestia had spent her time perfecting the art of diplomacy and tact. Violence and force were only a last resort when all else failed. It was something she neither enjoyed nor had any lust for, hence why she usually relied on her officers (like Spit Shine) who lived for matters such as these. That being said she was starting to believe that even her military confidants were seemingly out of their element as well.

The Equestrians had not seen full-scale action like this in decades, even Celestia herself had been out of this game for far too long. The only real time she had ever even lead a full scale military campaign had been a thousand years ago against her own sister, and even then it had been more of a one on one confrontation.

Spit Shine in contrast was a veteran of several battles and skirmishes with the changelings of the south and the diamond dogs of the Emerald kingdom, his tenacity for battle never seemingly hampered by the fact he was a total fop. Celestia was grateful for his presence never the less as he was helping her manage. As soon as they had approached the grasslands it had been the posh colonel’s idea to establish a staging base for their assault on the spire. Several scouts had already been dispatched to recon the enemy's position and possible strength, getting a feel for the terrain itself.

“Are you sure we should have sent those scouts so early?” inquired Celestia quizzically as her thoughts turned to the scouting forces. Watching attentively as several of the remaining guards and cavalry began cutting down the bush trees and small oaks that peppered the grassland glades, cutting them apart with their spears and axes. The ponies were dodging back and forth around the princess and colonel like ants in a hive. Once done, they piled all the newly cut wood and resumed the same set of tasks once more in another section of the glade. As they begun working another set of soldiers would then begin gathering the cut wood and forging palisades and fencing to string around the camp for defense.

Spit Shine joined her in observing the progress of the camp before he seemed to realize she has asked him a question. “Yes, this is enemy terrain, they already have the home field advantage and a bloody fortress to defend their cheeky selves wot.” spluttered the pompous colonel, using his horn’s magic and a ball of white linen to clean the mud and tar from his spurs. “We need to know exactly what we’re up against and the layout of this place, only then can we plan what we’re going to do effectively.”

Celestia was a bit worried about exactly what they were going to do. She had been adamant about tracking Mordrue down, but now that they had she was at a loss for what to do. The last time she had fought Mordrue she had been able to use the medusa stare to seal him in stone. The spell however was extremely complicated, even for her. It had taken the guidance and support of her own mentor to help her use it the last time. She did not think she could do so alone again, the strain the first time had been great enough even with two of them.

The medusa stare was a terrible curse, one that was inspired by the magic of the terrifying gorgon ponies of legend. It was a last resort technique that her mentor Allomane had conveyed to her only to be used in times of sheer emergency. The darkness of the spell itself was the most draining part of it, even an alircorns magic couldn’t handle the spell’s level of malice. Turning ponies to stone was a horrible spell of darkness created out of cruelty, malice, and hate. For any force of light to wield such shadow required a hefty price. Celestia had been lucky that it had only taken her energy, Allomane had lost far more. He had lost the final hope for saving his soul itself. Because of this when the elements of harmony had bound Discord, Celestia had been surprised he had been petrified in stone. Not only was that a bit cruel for any force of harmony in her mind, but until that moment she had believed only gorgon ponies or the medusa stare had that ability.

Even if she could do the spell herself however, the situation had been made even more dangerous and complicated as Mordrue had a hostage...Scootaloo. Could Celestia risk attacking the Spire and threatening the young filly’s life in the process? Should she try and negotiate with Mordrue and try and get Scootaloo out of there? But that too had a set of complications. By alerting the griffons to their presence they would lose the element of surprise. Not to mention what Mordrue might ask in return for the filly’s safe return if he even kept his word at all.

The princess was torn by her duties to her kingdom, and the duties to her individual subjects. To protect her people and indeed the world from the curse of Mordrue and the king's sword, she might have to sacrifice dear Scootaloo. Such an action would however spurn her in the face of Rainbow Dash and indeed most likely her own former student Twilight. Losing Scootaloo would mean more than just a lost innocent, she could very well lose the respect and even the support of those closest to her. What that could mean for the future of the kingdom she had no desire to ind out. Embedded in such thought Celestia suddenly grew tired, the weight on her shoulders sagging from the equally as heavy weight of her position. One thing was for sure, there were two wars going on inside her head. One based here in reality, and the other based on a series of endless and infinite possibility. The unfortunate problem was neither side it seemed could gain the much needed ground of her forethought, both burning hot and melting together into a congealed mess that could only be found in a stalwart stalemate.

<:~:>

Twilight hurriedly grabbed all she could find across her tent to stuff in her traveling saddle bags. Okay measuring tape, check, safety pins, check, screwdriver check, she counted off in her head, her horn flickering as it levitated the items into the saddle bags. Enchantment parchment check, cleaning tool, check, prototype weapon...check. This as taking too long and if Twilight was any other pony she would have already been gone, but she wasn't any other pony she was just, her. Twilight always made sure she was prepared, always made sure nothing was forgotten or left out. Despite that, it didn’t change the fact that they had to get going as quickly as hooves could take them if they wanted to get there in time to warn Celestia, if it wasn’t too late already.

Outside Twilight's tent Gilda and her fellow gryphons' were waiting. Buck was angled to the side leaning on top of several relief crates from Canterlot, the young gryphon tightening a fresh set of bandages across his chest wound. Across from him Gilda herself paced back and forth, grumbling to herself even as she could hear the alicorn princess inside the tent, grunting with her own tasks of exertion.

Gilda was impatient to get moving herself, deep down she realized this fight was long time coming and what better way to show the world that Griffon-Stone was changed then to stand up against the shadow of it’s former tyrant. Of course if they ever got moving that might be a big help.

“Argghh, Twilight! Can you hurry it up in there?” she growled out loud.

“--I’m getting there!” echoed back the purple princess. Whether or not she heard Gilda’s follow up snort of exasperation was unknown for she said no more.

While the purple princess stocked her saddle bags the gryphons own packs were fully filled and ready to go. Pinkie Pie and the Cakes had made sure to refill their food supplies while AppleJack had added in some small canteens of her farm's finest apple cider. Meanwhile Rarity had been making a fuss about fixing them all up with warmer blankets for their bedrolls. Stockpiled, the gryphons had held an uncomfortable silence while their pony allies went about their own business, the birds feeling a bit out of place and at a loss of what to do.

“Just a suggestion here my dear hen,” snickered Buck, the gryphon lazily lying on his back on the soft grass dangling his feet in air. “Perhaps we should pass the time by actually doing something, such as scouting the best way to enter the Everfree?”

Gilda glowered at the arrogant male, her fierce eyes giving him quite the vigorous stare as she silently contemplated his advice...Damn he is probably right, can’t let him know it though.

“If that’s you volunteering for the task, be my guest pheasant,” she glowered.

The young male gave her a sheepish look as he rolled carefully to his feet. “Fine, I’ll take a look, in the meantime darl’n you might want to get these other saps moving and attem, they're looking quite sorry when there’s litt’un’s and females doing hard work over in yonder camp,” he shot back.

Gilda looked over to where he had mentioned and indeed saw that a collection of mares, colts, and fillies were struggling to erect one of the white pavilions that dotted the rest of the refugee camp. Feeling a bit guilty Gilda blushed before turning back to snap a witty retort to Buck. all she found was emptiness as the object of her ire had quickly made his escape while she had been turned around. Damn him, she thought.

“Okay you lot, you heard the gryphon, you trying to make us Griffonstoner’s look like a bunch of addle-brained layabouts?” she demanded of her fellows, the other gryphons quickly jumping to attention and following Gilda over to the struggling ponies.

Buck awkwardly danced a routine of hip, hop, and fly across the ground as he made his way to the edge of the field that bordered along the vast Everfree woods. His chest and side hurt something awful with each bounce, but he managed to hide the pain and strain behind his traditional bravado.

Ever since he had been found half dead by Gilda’s party he had been a washed in guilt and pain. The loss of his brother, the fear that both their sacrifices had been for naught. When he had first seen Twilight again exiting her tent it had calmed those fears, but that then allowed for the reality to set in. A brother lost, a home lost, a purpose lost. Had it been worth it...why was he the one to survive?

Being forced to lie still as other carried you, others bandaged you, others took care of you was an experience totally foreign to Buck. What was worse was that the time alone and stationary allowed him to dwell on and concentrate these doubts and pain even further. He might not have been able to get away from them then, but now just finally getting to do something useful was a godsend.

The young gryphon was just starting to make his scout around a clump of thick gnarled bushes when he tripped over something very loud and opinionated, giving a fierce of as he ate dirt and dust.

Turning with a fierce caw of anger the young warrior came face to face with a struggling, bound, and gagged gryphon of similar height and age glaring back at him.

“F-Fiver?” hissed Buck, grimacing in pain and startling as red started to seep through his arm sling. The fall must have torn his wound open. “What in Tashar’s name?”

The other griffon in question merely garbled out a quick response which would have probably explained a lot had his beak not been fully gagged.

Buck decided first thing was that had to go, he needed answers and you can’t get answers when you’re the only one talking. Lifting one of his sharp talons, Buck grabbed the gag bound around his fellows beak and removed it. All it took was one fierce slice of his talons.

“Buck, what are you doing here, did they send a rescue for me?” inquired the other, his voice cracked from what seemed hours of gagged screaming. “I’ve been here for three days almost, ever since that blasted Daring Do tied me up.”

Buck gave a jerk of surprise at this revelation meaning Fiver had no idea what was going on. He still thinks I’m on his side, he thought to himself. There was opportunity here, he had to play this right. Fiver may still have some knowledge of the plans that I wasn’t privy too. After all when you father is Tenner, literally the oldest, but most experienced member of the legion, you tend to stay in a more juicy loop then fly-boys like him.

Before he could say anything though the smell wafting from the fellow gryphon chose at that moment to hit Buck quite profusely. The other gryphon nearly choked, had he said he’d been out here tied and gagged for nearly this last entire week? Wow, no wonder he smells, not too mention he must be hungry...and really pissed off.

The other gryphon just looked back at him expectantly, but Buck was a loss for words. What could he actually say to the other? How would that conversation go, umm yeah sorry to tell you this this but i defected, your father and the others left you here. You smell and technically are now a prisoner of war, or at the very least detained by a concerned citizen's arrest, and we’re just about to go help the Equestrians and the princesses destroy the legion, your father, and Mordrue himself...so how are you?

“You going to answer me or...hey what happened to your chest?” whispered Fiver. His talons pointing past Bucks arm sling towards his bandaged chest which had started to seep red as his wound bled open again.

Buck was not that concerned, a good wash and some rebinding would take care of it. The real question was how much he felt he wanted to reveal to Fiver...how should one break such news to another so unprepared for the mess that they had gotten themselves into?

“I got shot,” answered Buck, choosing the least path of resistance. He was too tired for this, but in truth he had realized he wasn’t alone anymore. This didn’t need to be all him did it? Hell no! As he gave his very short, very abrupt reply, he leaned forward and grabbed the other gryphon by the knots holding him tied. “Up you go we got to take you for debriefing,” he said, finally deciding what he was going to do. Let this be Gilda and Twilight's problem.

“Good, where’s the camp?” asked Fiver.

“Right over here,” answered Buck, deciding to give no further information then that. Let the kid be surprised.

<:~:>

The scouts had returned about an hour or so later then when expected, bringing with them an advanced layout of the surrounding area and the gryphon spire itself. Celestia and Spit Shine as well as several of their officers stood patiently as the scouting party refreshed themselves from a water barrel.

In the center of the tent the scouts had taken the time to set up a series of rocks, twigs and one large boulder. Celestia eyed the crude visual diagram with a wary eye nudging Spit Shine wit her shoulder. “Colonel what’s that?”

“A diagram of the spire and our forces,” he answered bluntly. Seeing her gaze still lingering and the questioning look on the princess's face he seemed to decide to give her a bit more. “The boulder is the spire, the rocks are our forces, and the twig represents the river,” finished the Colonel.

Celestia could only nod, noting to herself mainly that military minds must have more imagination for these kind of things then ponies like her. All she saw was boulders, rocks and twigs.

The scouts returned just at that moment, refreshed from their hours in the field. Celestia herself was eager to hear the news. More than that, she was happy that finally the real goal they were striving for could be started. Spit Shine had been relaying to her the importance of intelligence and how it would play the main role in how any confrontations would go. She could only hope that the information the scouts had gathered was more beneficial than his assurances.

The scout leader was none other than the major himself, the same pegasus that had led the wonderbolt squadron during the fire of Ponyville. Beside him was Rainbow Dash, having been extended an invitation from the scouting party due to her previous history with the Spire. Both pegasi looked sweaty and tired, as if they had been camped in thick dense hot underbrush for hours...then again they probably had.

“What’s the layout major?” asked Spit shine, the several fellow officers around him coming to attention in preparation for their scouts testimony. Everypony gathering around the crude diagram in the center of the floor.

“There is no way we can approach the spire undetected colonel,” stated the major flatly. “There is a large courtyard sized clearing all around the front and right side of the tower, and the river and thorn walls cut off both the left side and back. No cover at all, if they have any lookouts anywhere we’ll be spotted.”

“What about getting around them, is there any possible place to do that?”

The major shook his head, his sweat mane curling around his neck. “We could never position our forces directly around it without them being spotted, nor can we use either the river side or the back’s thorn walls to our advantage. The only way in is through the front.”

Celestia was alarmed by this information giving a jerk of despair, even as she felt similar tension leaking from spit Shine beside her. What alarmed her even more was the fact that it seemed their scouts had even more bad news for them. “What else?” she asked quietly.

Rainbow Dash decided it was finally her moment to contribute. Gently she placed her hoof on the major's shoulder letting him know she was about to interject. “When Twilight and I were last here there were openings all over the spire for those flying turkeys to enter from,” she began. “All those lower entrances from what we gather have been blocked off. The only way in is through the upper roost.”

“Which effectively cuts off all of our non pegasai forces,” muttered Spit Shine. The colonel squinted at the diagram before them even as he reached forward with his baton to push several of the rocks closer to the boulder. “It seems they've fixed it so any assault will have to come from the front and from the air, clever rascals very clever.”

Celestia was a bit worried herself, only being able to use pegasi cut their force's numbers dramatically. Not to mention the fact that they would be out in the open the whole time didn’t bode well for the element of surprise. “Did you see any sentries, guards at all?” asked the sun princess.

“No, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there,” answered the major.” The spire has several windows, slits and open areas for a sentry or watcher to hide.”

“So from the moment we leave the cover we’ll be fully within their line of sight?”

“That’s the short of it princess.”

“There's also the issue of Scootaloo,” added Rainbow quickly. “We need to try and get her out before we attack.”

“Doing so would alert the enemy to our presence and lose us the element of surprise,” grunted Spit Shine holty. “It’s not common battle strategy miss...Dash, to alert the opposing forces to your presence and position.”

“Yeah well it seems that they’ll be able to see us coming no matter what we do right?” Celestia could notice the tension building up in Rainbow’s shoulder blades and the quick hotness of her voice as she quipped back at the colonel. The princess knew how much Scootaloo mattered to Dash and she didn’t envy Spit shine if he argued further with her.

Rainbow it seemed was not ready to drop it either. “So the way i see it colonel, we might as well try and get back that little filly before we put her innocent life in danger, you’re soldiers aren't you, isn’t that your job?”

The colonel could only glare at the rainbow maned pegasus, while the major sat to the side of them, unsure of who to support. The rest of the officers were hiding their smirks as they realized the old battle axe had been put in his place.

“We’ll send them a warning beforehand,” stated Celestia flatly. Her own mind finally coming to a preferred conclusion. If it was true that there was no guaranteed way to move forward without betraying their position, Celestia was not ready to risk a young filly’s life.

“But princess!” interrupted Spit Shine.

“It’s done colonel, if there’s no way we can guarantee secrecy at all there’s no point in risking it. The problem we have to really focus on is how to take the spire should we need to.”

The major came forward at that pointing towards the rocks beside the boulder. “I had an idea, we’ll need the excess wood from the camp to create barriers, once we have them we can use them to cover our movement up to a closer and secured position before the spire.” the major angled one of the rocks sideways as he pointed to the boulder. “There is a sufficient rock cropping in the courtyard just before the Tower. If we can make it there it will give us a major hoofhold to work upwards towards those upper entrances.”

“That still leaves us with no way of knowing how many griffons are inside that place!” grunted Rainbow. “And it also cuts our numbers significantly.”

"Perhaps not,” added Spit Shine, seeing an opportunity to regain his bluster in front of his troops. “Explain colonel?” added Celestia. Spit Shine looked over at the princess before returning his baton to the diagram, pushing several of the rocks forward towards the boulder.

“If we can get our ground forces in position, while our Wonderbolts assault the upper levels, they will distract the enemy, while our ground forces can then make their way to these lower tunnels and unblock them. Once we get our forces inside, it won't matter if they’re pegasus, unicorn, or earth pony.”

“That’s a good idea colonel, turn their perceived strength into a weakness, i doubt they’ll be prepared for that.” answered Celestia graciously, the collection of officers around them also nodding with approval. Spit Shine looked like he could be beaming in a lighthouse on the coast of Mareyland.

“Of course that means we’ll need to…”


“...Position ourselves above here and over there,” pointed Mordrue, directing several of his officers attention to the upper battlements and entrances of the spire. “We’ll need both crossbows and pikes, concentrate them at the openings of the tunnels and the arrow slits.”

Mordrue had gathered among himself several of his top officers to go over their battle strategy. Encircling his throne, they peered dependently at him, looking to him for support. He could not ignore the fact that most of the griffons were slightly panicked as they finally realized they would be facing equestrians in battle shortly. So far they had done everything to avoid such entanglements and the sudden change in strategy was clearly worrying them.

“Dukat, are we sure the spire is secured?” Mordrue addressed the captain, wanting to reassure his officers that they were indeed prepared and ready.

“We’ve been prepping for an attack since the prisoners escaped,” replied Dukat, his bandaged wings and right talon shaking as he pointed to the small diagram of the spire, crudely and hastily sketched on a piece parchment before them. “We’ve sealed off all the lower tunnels, the only way into the spire is through these upper entrances.”

“Good that will neutralize their ground forces,” finished Mordrue. “They also don’t know we know they’re coming, that will be our key. When they come they’ll try and negotiate first, give us a chance to surrender. That’s when we’ll start firing upon them.”

“Are you sure about that?” asked Two Bits, the griffon cracking his talons together as he squinted at the poorly drawn diagram. “What makes you so sure they won’t just attack us outright?”

“Not their way. Celestia will try and get the little filly out first before putting her in danger, besides they’re not trained killers. They have no taste for direct bloodshed,” Mordrue directed.

Dukat put one of his talons on the parchment. “We’ll concentrate our crossbow griffons here, at the front of the spire, using the slits and protection of the rock, that way when they approach from the courtyard below we’ll have them in a perfect kill zone.”

“It won’t be enough,” muttered Tenner, flapping his way forward from beside Dukat. “It’s not just a matter of holding them off, we need to make sure they can’t regroup or form a defensive line. Break their resolve.”

“He’s right,” answered Mordrue. “The equestrians haven’t fought a real battle in a century, for all their training and bravado they’re still inexperienced. All we need to do is hit them hard enough, rain hell down upon them and they’ll break.”

Switching his gaze among the officers Mordrue suddenly got a flash of military inspiration. “The key will be to keep them from holding a united front, Two-Bits, you’ll take a score and a half of warriors out the back entrance and take up position on the left flank.” Looking over he gazed right at Tenner. The griffon was older and a bit frail looking, but he was also experienced and Mordrue was counting on that to triumph over the equestrians. Unlike Celestia’s spit and polished eye sores his lot were actually experienced in combat. “Tenner, you’ll take another score and take up position on the right flank. Conceal yourselves in the trees and wait for the signal. Once you have been given the signal rush their flanks and we’ll smash them in a pincer movement.”

“What’s the signal going to be?” asked Two-Bits obviously excited to have his own command finally.

“Three horn bursts, as soon as you hear them, slam their sides and press them together, our archers will then do their part,” replied Mordrue coldly, his own blood rising as he thought of the glorious slaughter to commence.

“My lord,” squeaked Dukat looking up at the black griffon with hurt in his eyes. “Perhaps i should lead the attack, Two-Bits is a bit young…”he trailed off at the glare from his leader.

“Dukat, your wounds make you useless for an assault, i’d rather have you hear manning the towers defense.”

“Y-Yes...sire, a-as you wish.”

“Just a quick question my lord?” interjected Two-Bits a bit hotly. His excited demeanor having left him, most likely due to him finding some conflict with the plan, as usual.

“Yes?”

“Just what are you going to be doing while we’re risking our tail feathers out there?” growled the younger griffon.

Mordrue just gave him an exasperated look, before a small growl. “I’m going to be holding off Celestia of course fool. Or would you prefer to undertake that duty instead?” he questioned, glaring at the whole lot of them. Did they dare to question his courage? The resulting silence said all he needed to know. “Good, then get going, today we break the equestrians and show them what the sons of Griffon-Stone are truly made of!”

As they all broke off, Mordrue made sure to reach out and snag his despondent looking captain. “Dukat, stay with me, i have some further instructions.” Mordrue turned from the group and began heading towards the lower levels of the tower, Dukat right alongside him in tow.

“We can’t hold off the equestrians forever chief, even if we do break their front Celestia will just call for reinforcements.” The bandaged griffon was looking quite anxious at his master as they plodded along. “It’s not a battle we can win indefinitely.”

“I am aware of that,” snarled Mordrue. “But it can buy us some time, all we need to do is beat them hard enough or kill enough of them to soften their fighting resolve. Time that we can then use to find the sword.”

“Oh well, good then,” answered the captain. “But uh, what else did you need from me?” he inquired.

“Find Scratch and Shekel. I want those two brainless pigeons watching over Scootaloo for me. Tell them I want her kept away from the fighting and don’t let her out of their sight.”

“Got it chief” reassured the captain before slinking away from his master.

Mordrue held his talons together fidgeting as small green electrical sparks sprouted from his claws and tingled up his body. He did so enjoy charging his energy for an oncoming battle. “Well well Celestia, it seems cosmic karma has brought us a re-match...and this time you are all alone. May the best Griffin win.”

<:~:>

Fiver sat on his haunches still bound but thankfully for himself no longer gagged. His fur was slicked with sweat as he gazed back and forth between the two figures pacing around him in frenzy. The first was the purple pony princess, her eyes scanning over his form as she gave a slight annoyed scowl. While he could tell she was upset, she was not worrying him. Her companion on the other hand frightened the beak off of him. A fiery and angry looking gryphon hen, fit and athletically built, wearing a look that Fiver could swear would kill him if her eyes had been actual daggers.

He had been sitting here for near an hour now, ever since that traitor Buck had dragged him to the camp. Fiver had to admit, he had not seen the fire that had engulfed half the town, but he had felt the heat and heard the sounds, bound under his bushes he had wondered if that plan had gone on without a hitch.

Now he could see that the ponies were in no mood for tricks and that grimaced looking hen was more than enough incentive for Fiver to not wish to be a hero. But they hadn’t asked him any questions, it seemed to him that they were trying to think what to do with him.

“Applejack, and the rest are going to hold down things here, why not just leave him with them,” inquired Twilight finally. She had just finished packing and had given AppleJack and Spike the go ahead to look after things in her absence when Buck had dragged this newest problem into their midst.

“Not good enough if he escapes he could do more damage at worst, be a liability at best,” finished Gilda cracking her talons. “Better to dump him into some dark cell somewhere and leave him to rot.

Fiver paled at that, his ears lowering drastically while his eyes widened in fear. "Please, please don't do that!" he squawked.

"That's enough Gilda," snapped Twilight. "We are not savages." Although you are planning to do something very barbaric Twilight, she thought to herself.

"Why don't we bring him with us," interjected Buck from behind the two females, both tuning to stare at him blankly. The young gryphon was testing his newly re-bandaged chest, flexing his wings and gently placing his arm back in the sling.

"And why would we do that," spat Gilda.

"Well if you can't trust to leave him here, taking him with us seems the best option. Besides, if your sun princess is willing to take prisoners, then they'll have place for them themselves will they not?"

"Of course Celestia is open to taking prisoners," snarled Twilight, the accusation triggering her to come to the princesses defense.

"Good, then they'll have some place to put prisoners, so they'll have a place for Fiver," Buck looked proudly at the females, feeling he had sufficiently proved his reasoning beyond a doubt.

Twilight and Gilda looked at each other before Twilight gave a sigh of acceptance, seeing the true reasoning. "You're right, he comes with us." Both Gilda and Fiver let loose a guff of air at that, Gilda's of annoyance, Fiver's one of relief.

"What now?" asked Buck.

"Now you will head to the Spire while i teleport right there now and warn Celestia," answered Twilight flatly. Hr horn lighting up as she readied herself, saddle bags already upon her back as she summoned the magic and the teleportation spell into her horn. Her horn began to glow bright before suddenly it puttered out the magical aura dying and spluttering with a flashing spark.

Twilight only stood thee a look of surprise and alarm on he face as he glow aorund he hon began to flicker.

"Hey Twilight what's with the light show?" sparked Gilda, shielding her eyes from the impromptu rave going on around the alicorns horn.

"I don't understand i tried to teleport to the spire but it was like something drained the magic from my spell."

While Twilight began freaking out baout he lost magic, Five gave a small snort of laughter. unfortunately of him it did not go unnoticed by Gilda who rounded on the male and gabbed him roughly with he talons bringing their beaks an inch from the other.

"Spill it dweeb, what's so funny?"

"Ah, n-nothing, nothing at all?"

Twilight now focused as well, coming over beside the two gryphons looking intently upon fiver. "If you know something, better tell me now, i promise it will not go unnoticed later...such as when a trial happens."

Fiver gulped as her words had the desired effect on him. He sighed as he motioned for Gilda to lesson her grip around his shoulders.

"You ever wondered why our ancestors built their roost this far in foreign hostile territory?" he began, looking intently at the gathered group. Even Buck looked perplexed in which Fiver gave an exasperated sigh. "Ugh Buck you never paid attention to Mordue's lessons did you?"

"Not really. After a while all the shtick started to sound the same so i tuned it out," smirked the young gryphon.

"Well, our ancestors knew the dangers so they built a special defense into every one of their structures, shield runes. Every stone, every foundation is enchanted with these runes, then when activated they block and dispel all magic in the area. No transportation in or around, a pure magical free barrier." He gave a slight nod of his head at that hoping the others got the hint.

"So if Twilight can't even teleport to the spire, that means they're already engaged in battle?" questioned Buck.

Twilight suddenly froze as the more sinister possibility entered her head. "Or because they know they're coming."