• Published 13th Mar 2016
  • 7,319 Views, 4,920 Comments

Princess Twilight Sparkle's School for Fantastic Foals - kudzuhaiku



Princess Twilight Sparkle's School for Fantastic Foals is the place to go for friendship studies.

  • ...
42
 4,920
 7,319

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 99


And now we return to the main story in progress…


As Sumac Apple struggled to recover from long distance teleportation, his woozy mind informed him that they had never had a chance to light the stars together. Dizzy, his vision blurred over, he heard many hooves and a number of voices all talking at once. Too many voices all at once, and he couldn’t make out what was being said. Neither could Twilight, it seemed.


“Just hold on!” Twilight commanded.


The voices fell silent and Sumac blinked to clear his vision. He heard Boomer let out a yawn, and he supposed that sleeping through a portal gem jump had to make things easier. As his legs wobbled, he felt Lemon Hearts steady him, and he was thankful. All in all, Sumac prefered walking, or maybe the train.


“Twilight, there are some major emergencies that need to be dealt with… now.” Moondancer placed a firm emphasis upon the word ‘now’ that was unmistakable. “You left without much warning on an unscheduled trip and now we have multiple situations.”


“Stuff just happens, Moondancer… besides, how bad could things be? I was only gone a few days.” Twilight scowled and shook her head. “It’s like everything falls apart if I’m not here to run things, or something.”


“One of the many unintended consequences of Starlight Glimmer’s equality movement has arrived in the flesh, begging for our help. Twilight, you need to come right away—”


Moondancer’s words were cut off as she, Twilight, Starlight Glimmer, and several others just vanished. Sumac, curious, wondered what was going on. He looked around and found that Trixie was gone too, leaving him alone with Lemon Hearts, who let out a sigh. As he looked up, he gave her an expectant look, wondering if she was about to say something.


“When they need a cup of tea, they’ll summon me,” she said to Sumac with a smile. “It feels like crisis mode has become the norm. Now that it is the norm, I’m kinda scared of what an actual crisis might be like. I’m going to take a shower, you, don’t wander off. I’ll take you to see Pebble in just a bit.”


“So now I have to be watched?” Sumac asked.


“Well,” Lemon replied, “uh, I don’t know for certain. I wasn’t any given specific instructions on what to do. I hope you’re not upset.”


“Seems fair.” Sumac shrugged and then was surprised when Boomer lept from his horn to Lemon’s. “I think Boomer wants a shower.”


“You know, Sumac, you might want to think about one yourself. Just saying. Be mindful of that stapled spot on your head though. If Trixie has to bathe you, you’re gonna smell girly.” Lemon Hearts waited, perhaps to let her words sink in, and she smiled. “We’ve talked, she and I, and we’re going to go out and shop for the girliest liquid soaps we can find and we’re gonna wash you until you start washing yourself. I thought I’d give you a heads up.”


Sumac felt his blood run cold as he listened to Lemon Hearts’ words of pure, premeditated evil. Ears drooping, he looked up at Lemon, wondering how anypony who claimed to love somepony else could do such a horrible, awful act. It was as incomprehensible as it was terrible.


“Now, remember, lots of shampoo and when you’re done, rinse well, and then use lots of conditioner. If you don’t condition, you’ll get tangles and mats in your pelt, and that makes it harder to brush. Mats are most common in your leg pits and places where your pelt rubs against itself, and as a colt, you need to pay special attention to this advice, hint hint.”


Gulping, Sumac quailed from Lemon’s advice and took a few steps backwards. Lemon was clearly having mom-thoughts, and this unnerved him. He didn’t like this development at all. She was thinking about him as a colt and telling him what to do. Overwhelmed, Sumac’s brain attempted a disconnect and he suffered from a case of the stupids, as any five year old was wont to do.


“Oh please,” Lemon Hearts said as she rolled her eyes. “Don’t stand there looking at me like that. I’ve scrubbed you all over and I’ve been there with Trixie as she’s scrubbed you all over—”


Sumac began to scream in an internal fashion.


“—so I don’t understand what the big deal is. Bathing is best done together, it’s a good way to socialise, build trust, and honestly, Sumac, it is no different than swimming together or walking outside in a rainstorm together, if showering is your thing.”


The internal screaming intensified a great deal.


“Such a silly colt… now, go and shower!”


“Hmm, that’s a handsome colt in the mirror.” Sumac stood on his hind legs, balanced atop a stool, leaning against a sink, which was cold against his belly. He admired his green eyes and he blinked a few times at himself, wondering if perhaps his eyelashes were a little too long. His cream coloured pelt seemed a little darker, or maybe it was just because he was wet.


He couldn’t help but think that his coat colour was almost the same colour as Apple Bloom’s, and his mane and tail was almost a perfect match with Applejack’s. He could see the family resemblance. And in no way was he beige, as Discord had suggested.


As he began to brush his teeth, he thought about how difficult this had been for him just a year ago. His telekinesis was getting better, stronger, and a good deal more accurate. His telekinesis wasn’t his biggest concern though; his magic sense was getting stronger too, perhaps a bit too strong, and it had reached the point where he was starting to worry.


Even now he could feel it, a buzzy sensation, Twilight’s castle was magic, and while the feeling wasn’t unpleasant, Sumac knew that it would become annoying after a while. It wasn’t like this before going to Lulamoon Hollow. Sumac realised that his magic was maturing, or at least beginning the long journey of doing so. As he brushed his teeth, he thought about all of the different types of maturity that he would have to face in his life; emotional, magical, physical, and that really icky maturity that lead to the ability to make foals of his own. One day, he was going to want to touch Pebble in a very grown up sort of way and he was going to want her to touch him back. Ick. He wasn’t looking forward to any form of maturity, at least, not at the moment.


Mouth still full of foam, he began shaping his mane, sweeping it upward, and using a bit of magic that Vinyl had taught him. After a few attempts, he had himself a passable mohawk, which would survive right to the point where Trixie saw it. Lemon thought it was ‘cute,’ which it wasn’t, not at all, it was ‘rugged’ and ‘tough.’ Trixie would smooth it out the moment she saw it though, because she wanted him to look ‘respectable.’


It was his mane and he felt that he should have a say in how it looked.


As he began spitting out his toothpaste suds, he wondered if he could change his mane colour in the same way that Vinyl changed hers…


Holding his waxed cardboard juice box, Sumac stared up at Twinkleshine, trying to read her face, and she looked down at him. She had seemed a little surprised that he had said ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ when asking for a drink. The colt wasn’t quite sure how to take that, maybe she wasn’t expecting that from him, or maybe she had been around some rude ponies. It was hard to tell.


“You are free to roam during the daylight hours,” Twinkleshine said to Sumac. “Stay in the open and don’t go wandering out of town. The cemetery is allowed, of course. If you suspect trouble, call for help.”


Sumac nodded as he slurped his apple juice through the narrow little straw that he had between his lips. He was glad that things were almost normal. As he sat there, looking up at Twinkleshine, he watched as her horn ignited and then he felt a curious sensation along his scalp. In all of about three seconds, he had a smoothed out mane, slicked back between his ears, and perfect, no doubt, by Twinkleshine’s standards.


“Looked like your mane hadn’t been combed at all. What a mess. You need to comb that when you get out of the shower. With the way it was sticking up, ponies might’ve started calling you Cock-A-Doodle-Doo the Rooster. You’re a unicorn, Sumac, and simple grooming isn’t hard for us. We don’t need to brush our pelts or comb our manes… we just need a basic cantrip. It’s so simple that it isn’t considered a real spell. Where other ponies can take hours to get well groomed, or have to go to the spa, we can be done in mere moments.”


Slurp. Sometimes it was better to stay silent.


“We unicorns have an obligation to help others. Our magic makes so many common tasks and chores easier. There are so many things that we can do with no real effort on our parts, but it would take a pegasus pony or an earth pony a serious investment in time and energy. As unicorns, we also have an obligation to respect the earth pony way, if requested, and we must never push our magic upon others in such a way that they are left diminished.”


It was right then and there that Sumac realised that Twinkleshine had something different to teach him than magic. He was certain there was a word for it, but he didn’t know what that word was. She was teaching him that though, whatever it was.


“The worst thing that a unicorn can do, Sumac, is hoard their magic and only use it for themselves. It is intolerable and unconscionable. If unicorns start doing that again, I have no doubts that the windigos will come back, or something worse.” Twinkleshine’s tail began swishing around and her eyes narrowed. “Never be lazy with your magic, Sumac, or there will be words between us.”


“Right.” Sumac blinked a few times and then decided that Twinkleshine was not a good pony, she was a great pony, and he liked her. She had her head screwed on right and her advice felt right to him. “I’ll listen to what you have to say, and follow any advice you have to offer, Twinkleshine, but you also have to teach me magic.”


“Fair enough.” Twinkleshine gave Sumac a nod. “I specialise in pacification spells and I really started training hard after the changeling invasion. I was caught off guard once… and never again will I allow that to happen. I’ll be happy to start teaching you. I think you can be trusted to learn a few dangerous spells, given your situation.”


Intrigued, Sumac nodded. “I’m gonna go see Pebble… thanks!”


Ponyville was already returning to normal. Many houses had been rebuilt, magic had hurried up the process a whole lot, they only needed some finishing and some furnishing to be livable. Overhead, the weather team was doing cloudbusting drills, training to tackle any dangerous feral storms that might come blowing in. The air was cold, there was a real nip now, and autumn was transitioning into winter.


Near Sugarcube Corner, he spotted Wormwood, Gloomy, and Silver Lining as they were going in the door. He veered away from the crowd and cut around the back of Sugarcube Corner, avoiding the traffic. It felt good to be out and about again, walking, and seeing the world. Directly overhead, a pegasus mare flew with two small foals just behind her, and Sumac smiled as he watched the flight lesson in progress.


Around the fountain, a group of foals were pronking as they played together. Sumac watched them as they passed, and he felt conflicted. A part of him wanted to play as well, but he also wanted to see Pebble. Social interactions had rules, rituals, there were hidden complexities, and Sumac didn’t know them. A faint feeling of anxiety hovered upon the edge of Sumac’s consciousness as he thought about how difficult it was to go and play with other foals his own age.


Octavia called it introversion and had told him that he cared more about the rules, situations, and the social interactions than the others did—they just wanted play. The thought was difficult to understand for him. To play, to engage, to interact without knowing the rules, without knowing what was acceptable… it was unnerving to even think about and Sumac wanted nothing to do with it.


Yet, he found that he still wanted to play, which puzzled him.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay. It's a rough night for me. :fluttershyouch:

PreviousChapters Next