• Published 13th Mar 2016
  • 7,332 Views, 4,902 Comments

Princess Twilight Sparkle's School for Fantastic Foals - kudzuhaiku



Princess Twilight Sparkle's School for Fantastic Foals is the place to go for friendship studies.

  • ...
41
 4,902
 7,332

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 120

The resplendent dawn was glorious and Sumac struggled to hold back a yawn as he witnessed it, not wishing to disturb the sanctity of the moment. Beside him, Princess Celestia had a look of rapturous joy upon her face as she raised the sun, bringing warmth and light to the near frozen morning. Perhaps it was the lingering zap apple tincture and Sumac’s sorcerous powers, but the dawn really was noteworthy.

The balcony was crowded with ponies, giving Sumac a rather foalish fear of being stepped on. The ponies present were of the rather large variety; Princess Celestia being the largest, but Princess Luna and Prince Gosling weren’t so small either. Twilight was miniscule by comparison, even though she had grown quite tall by Ponyville standards.

There was strange knowledge buzzing around inside of Sumac’s head, the aftereffects of assisting Princess Celestia with her efforts to help Adventus. Moondancer had used her magic as well, trying to help poor Adventus recover his memories and his name. Alas, Adventus was not present on the balcony, as he was fast asleep in his room after an exhausting night.

Stretching out his wings, Prince Gosling yawned out the words, “That sunrise is the only thing better looking than I am.”

His words seemed to set off Princess Luna, who rolled her eyes, stomped her hoof, shook her head, and smacked Prince Gosling in the back of the head with her wing at all once. Sumac’s ears jerked upright as Princess Celestia began to giggle. It was a strange sound, hearing a regal princess giggle, and Sumac was in awe of it.

The little colt was filled with a peace that he had not known for quite some time. All of his fears and worries seemed distant, which may have been the zap apple tincture wearing off, but Sumac liked to think that he was happy. He was surrounded by good ponies, the best ponies, and as little as he was, he had helped a noble cause. He had, in his own way, helped to make a difference.

With the glorious dawn, Sumac had a powerful reminder that the world was worth saving. The world was a beautiful place, full of promise and hope, and in his own way, he wanted to help save it, even though he didn’t think that he wanted to be an adventurer. He liked being at home, he liked moments just like this one, this feeling of togetherness and unity. It was at these moments that the call of the herd was the strongest, that need, that desire to be together, to be close, just like right now.

Exhausted, Sumac yawned and shuffled over a bit. He leaned up against Moondancer’s leg and the somewhat scratchy wool of her sweater sleeve was rough against his neck. It was cold enough to see his breath, which looked like clouds of steam coming out of his nose. The cold was invigourating, filling his lungs with stinging air that made him want to take off at a run so that he could get warm, his heart thudding and his blood pumping.

“I don’t like the fact that we have ponies that we can’t find hiding among us,” Prince Gosling said in a low voice, all of his mirth from earlier now gone. “I don’t like this at all… infiltrators, agitators, rogue changelings, bumble jelly that messes with a pony’s brain… I wish I knew what to do.”

“This is not the first time that Equestria has been beset by enemies from within.” Princess Celestia’s voice had a dull edge of fatigue to it and she shifted her weight from her left to her right. “Mind control is becoming an increasingly difficult problem to deal with though, I’ll admit. The Ascendency has powerful magic to do what they do.”

“I think the Ascendency was the ones pulling the strings when everything went down with Mister Mariner.”

“We don’t know that for certain, Gosling.”

“Well, call it a hunch,” Prince Gosling said with a surprising amount of insistence.

Princess Luna wrapped her wing over Gosling’s back and leaned in a little closer to him. She said nothing, but gave her sister a direct, penetrating stare, an expression that Sumac could not read or understand. The little colt was aware that something was up though, perhaps some disagreement or maybe even a squabble. From the looks of things, it seemed as though Princess Luna had taken Prince Gosling’s side.

“Hunches are fine, but we have to be careful not to make dangerous assumptions,” Princess Celestia said to her sister and to Prince Gosling. “Our resources are limited and our enemies are many. Gosling, I know that you are eager to begin hunting down the Ascendency and that you are just looking for a reason, but we have to be very, very careful where we commit our resources.”

“She is correct,” Princess Luna huffed, her barrel expanding and contracting as she spoke.

“I’ll be the first to admit that my anger is probably clouding my judgment, but I’m still sore about everything that happened.” Prince Gosling lifted his head as he struck a regal pose—something he did without trying or effort, an act that came as naturally as breathing—and he gazed at the sun on the distant horizon. “I’m having a hard time adjusting,” he confessed, his voice a little creaky. “Overnight, I became the proud papa pegasus to several million ponies. I take all of this very, very seriously. It weighs on me and there are times when I feel like I can’t do anything at all… I can’t fight Grogar, I certainly can’t fight Catrina, so when something comes along that I feel that I can do something about it, I wanna do it just so I don’t feel useless.”

“I know how you feel.” Blinking, Sumac looked up at Gosling. “It’s hard being so little, weak, and powerless. Not being able to do anything just makes you angry and frustrated. I think that’s why I have temper tantrums. I just get so angry sometimes and I just hold it all in ‘till I can’t hold it in no more.”

“Yeah?” Prince Gosling’s eyebrow arched.

“Yeah.” Sumac nodded.

“It’s rough, wanting to prove yourself, ain’t it?”

“Yep.” Again, Sumac nodded.

“Count yourself lucky, kid,” Prince Gosling remarked, “at least you don’t have everybody just waiting for you to fail so they can call you out and ridicule you, calling you a useless prettyboy and a plaything for the princesses.”

“Oh, I don’t know, I think I can understand that.” As Sumac spoke, he was all too aware that everypony present was now looking at him. His mouth went dry and he licked his lips while he looked up at Prince Gosling. “I have a filly that I really want to impress,” Sumac began and his own voice became squeaky. “I have Applejack and Big Mac breathing down my neck to be the best Apple that I can be, and I have to work really hard to be as good as they are because I have a bad case of the angries. I’m smart, but I’m not that smart, so I have to work really hard to even understand half of what Pebble says, and it’s not just Pebble, but the adults around me, because I’ve fallen into a trap where the adults sometimes talk to me like adults, and I don’t always know what is being said, but I can’t come right out and say it because I don’t want to let them down or look like a foal.”

Sumac sucked in a deep breath, filling his lungs with frigid air.

“When I do screw up or fail, I gotta worry about Applejack’s eyebrow and that face that Big Mac makes. Then there is Lemon Hearts, who just sort of sighs, and it is the worst sound in the world, because I know she is disappointed with me, but she’s too nice to be mean about it or punish me, so she just sighs, and I want to crawl under the bed and die of shame. And there is all of you…”—Sumac’s words trailed off and he looked around at the different ponies on the balcony—“all of you have come to expect so much from me and none of you are normal ponies. Because I’m a sorcerer, all of you watch me and the pressure and worry about screwing up almost crushes me sometimes.”

Embarrassed, Sumac felt tears stinging his eyes, which was made worse by the cold. He wished that Trixie was here, or Lemon Hearts, or even Twinkleshine, but they were all asleep, and he was about to start crying in front of some very important ponies. He was tired, maybe a little cranky, and he was up way, way past his bedtime.

“Aw, nuts,” Prince Gosling muttered as he pushed himself away from Princess Luna. He wiped at his eyes with his wings, let out a shuddering huff, and then shoved his way past Princess Celestia, who let out a startled whinny because of his sudden movement. “Come on, kid, you’re coming with me. We’re going to have breakfast and have a talk. I’m gonna make you some pancakes, how’s that sound?”

Sumac, saying nothing, allowed himself to be led away as he blinked back his own flood of emotion.


Looking at Sumac as he slept, Trixie Lulamoon let heave a maternal sigh. His face was sticky, messy, covered in syrup, whipped cream, applesauce, and there was a chocolate chip smeared into the short, coarse hairs around the corner of his mouth on the left side. She wanted to be mad at Prince Gosling for returning her foal to her in this condition, but she just couldn’t. At least, not now. Maybe later she would let Prince Gosling have it for returning Sumac as a sticky, dirty mess.

“Is that ice cream?” Lemon Hearts asked in a low whisper.

“Maybe.” Trixie shrugged.

“Was there a food fight?” Lemon brushed up against Trixie’s side and leaned against her.

Again, Trixie shrugged. “Maybe?”

“And I’m stuck cleaning that up later,” Twinkleshine said, sounding rather grumpy, “because both of you will be working.”

“Is that… is that some kind of syrup in Sumac’s ear?” Lemon Hearts edged a little closer to the bed, holding her head high and trying to peer downward at just the right angle so that she might see better. “I thought they had pancakes for breakfast, but the evidence suggests ice cream sundaes.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter what it is, Prince Gosling can no longer be trusted to be alone with Sumac.” Twinkleshine bristled as she rolled her eyes. “Do you know how much scrubbing that is going to take? It’s in his mane, ugh.” The pearlescent mare snorted and tossed her head back to get her pink mane out of her eyes.

“Oh, I don’t know, Sumac could probably use some guy time.” Lemon Hearts looked over at Twinkleshine, then over at Trixie, and then her eyes focused on Sumac. “I mean, this is what guys do, right? They talk about hoofball, complain about mares, and leave each other all sticky.”

“Lemon, that sounds so wrong.” Twinkleshine, looking disgusted, took a step back from Lemon while shaking her head.

“What?” Lemon blinked and shook her head, not understanding Twinkleshine’s words. “Males are messy, we all know that.”

“Prince Gosling might just be the most immaculate creature that has ever lived,” Trixie said to Lemon as she shook her head. “I’ve never seen a cleaner, more well groomed pony.”

Scowling, Lemon glanced at Trixie, then looked at Sumac once more. “Well, maybe we should reconsider and let Prince Gosling spend more time with Sumac, because Sumac can be one stinky little colt.”

“Oh, Lemon, tsk tsk tsk.” Twinkleshine clucked her tongue as she shook her head.

“What I do?” Lemon demanded in a hushed voice.

“To be fair, Sumac is pretty stinky.” Trixie bumped up against Lemon and there was the suggestion of a smile on her muzzle. “That’s my fault though, raising him the way I did, roaming the countryside, which is oddly free of things like plumbing. Rivers, lakes, and streams can be a bit chilly, but I got used to it and I guess I just sort of figured that he would as well.”

“Hey, both of you. I have something I need to tell you,” Twinkleshine said to Lemon and Trixie.

Ears perking, both mares looked at Twinkleshine and waited for her to continue.

“This foalsitting thing is hard,” Twinkleshine began in a low, scratchy whisper. “The world is such a dangerous place and it drives me nuts when I think about all of the different ways that Sumac might get hurt. Trixie, I don’t see how you do it… I mean, you take the free roaming approach to parenthood and you allow Sumac to experience the world in his own way, and I don’t want to say that what you are doing is wrong—”

Trixie’s eyebrows both raised as her ears pivoted around.

“—but I will say that I’m having a hard time with the free roaming approach. Especially now after Flam… the idea of letting Sumac out of my sight makes me feel panicky.”

“If we were to corral him or fence him in, he’d hate us.” Trixie’s words were a soft, patient whisper. “I did everything I could to teach Sumac how to look after himself. Most mothers scold a foal for independence, at least in my own experience, watching the world around me. I’ve always just sort of pushed Sumac away and then tried to reward him when he did the right things. I don’t know why, but it has always bothered me when I watched other mothers punish their foals for being curious and wanting to explore the world around them.”

“But Trixie, the world is a dangerous place—”

“And I know that better than just about anypony, Twinkleshine, don’t lecture me.” Trixie, calm and collected, nodded her head at Sumac. “And so does he. I’ve shown him what the world is really like, away from the cities, away from civilisation, I’ve shown him all of the nitty-gritty parts of life that most ponies are happier pretending don’t exist. He and I have found ponies that didn’t survive the wilds and we’ve buried them. Sumac grew up without illusions, I showed him what lies beyond the curtain of civilisation, and he’s a better pony for it.” After inhaling, Trixie added, “I gotta go to work.”

“So do I.” Lemon, looking downcast, let out a sigh. “I was up too late last night.”

“Have fun, both of you.” Twinkleshine’s barrel expanded and she held everything in for several long seconds, before letting it all out from her nose. “You know, Trixie, it’s funny, what you said, about Sumac growing up without illusions, seeing as how you’re the illusionist…”

Author's Note:

And now, we begin the crescendo to the end. I'm like freaking out and excited.

PreviousChapters Next