• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 15,468 Views, 1,839 Comments

Change: Queen of The Hive - tom117z



Changeling hives are vanishing with no trace left behind, who, or what is hunting the changeling race? And what fate awaits Queen Twilight Sparkle and the rest of her hive?

  • ...
36
 1,839
 15,468

PreviousChapters Next
28 - Act 1 Epilogue

The Council Hive



What was once a chamber where the Changeling Queens would gather and hold council was no longer recognisable, the room having been restored to the glory of four thousand years ago. The seats for the various queens were no longer present, only a large dominant throne that cast its shadow across the newly revitalised throne room.

The entire hive, in truth, was in a far better condition than it had been in a very long time. The Empress has used her unrivalled knowledge of the structure to direct drones into restoring every inch of the place. Every single crack and faded wall was repaired seamlessly, the hive slowly becoming once again worthy of the one who held dominion over it.

And work had only just begun.

Empress Immortalis sat alone in the throne room, sitting contently in her throne. Her eyes were closed as she immersed herself in the hive mind, something that she had been deprived of for far too long. She had been sifting through the various Changeling Queens, learning about the world she had found herself in while directing her subjects. Four thousand years was a long time to miss out on, and she found herself… perplexed by some of the changes. Radio, steam engines, zeppelins; her changeling told her all the specifics. And, of course, she had learnt more about the affairs of the modern world. Zebrica, the Griffon Kingdom, the Dragon Lands, among many others. And of course there was also Equestria.

That, she wanted to speak with a particular Changeling Queen about face-to-face.

As summoned, Queen Twilight Sparkle opened the doors to the throne room and walked on in, her glowing red eyes meeting the Empress’. Twilight bowed on reaching the throne, before rising up again.

“You summoned me, Empress?”

“I did, I needed to hear some things from your mouth rather than across the hive,” Immortalis stated. “I have some questions about Equestria, and you shall answer them.”

“I will answer whatever I can.”

“Good girl. Now,” the Empress started. “What is this about the sun and moon being controlled by two ponies?”

“Alicorns. Two of the four currently known to exist,” Twilight explained. “Celestia and Luna are two members of the Equestrian Triumvirate, along with my sister-in law, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.”

“How?” the Empress bluntly enquired. “How could any being control the sun and moon?”

“Over a thousand years ago, sometime before Celestia and Luna were even born, an unknown catastrophe disrupted the planet’s natural orbit around the sun and likewise the moon’s orbit of the planet.”

“You mean to tell me you simply forgot what caused it?” The Empress’ tone was somewhat mocking.

“It is before recorded history, much like you were,” Twilight continued. “Unicorns tended the cycle for a while. At least, until the population founded Equestria and Discord arrived a few decades later.”

“Discord?”

“A spirit of chaos. Once he was an adversary of Equestria, now he is an ally. And a powerful one. However, we do not know where he is. He goes away every now and then to parts unknown, likely seeking his own amusement.”

“An issue for later,” Immortalis noted. “What did he do?”

“He swept aside Equestria’s feeble defences, Queen Platinum lost control. Discord used the sun and moon as some of his playthings, raising and lowering them as he saw fit. That is, until his defeat at the hooves of Celestia and Luna, who were equally given the throne by Platinum at the urging of Starswirl the Bearded. They then took dominion over the celestial bodies.”

“And, are they specifically required for it?”

“No,” Twilight answered. “Any being with alicorn level magical strength could perform the act with practice and training.”

“So any Changeling Queen could theoretically do it?”

“Yes.”

“And me?”

“Most definitely.”

Immortalis hummed. “That is good to know. I wasn’t keen on the idea of leaving them alive.”

“Equestria are by far the greatest threat to your reign,” Twilight stated. “They must be targeted first!”

“Oh?”

“Even with the Elements of Harmony rendered useless, the alicorns are still a huge threat. And they have an army to back them up. Equestria is sizable, and changeling numbers have declined since your time.”

“Nothing a collection of keen, strategic minds cannot solve,” Immortalis stated with a smirk. “And your minds are mine now.”

“We are all up to the challenge,” Twilight assured. “I have always loved solving problems.”

“It is good to know you remain so faithful, Queen Twilight.”

“I have been enlightened,” Twilight stated, ignoring her own voice screaming out from the depths of her mind.

“And you shall see that it is for the best,” Immortalis remarked. “Our ascension is coming; the natural order of the world demands it.”

“As you say, Empress.”

“Good,” the Empress replied. “Anything else you want to add about Equestria?”

“The Crystal Heart,” Twilight noted. “The power source behind the Crystal Empire, and in the possession of Cadenza. In our hooves our power could be unlimited, if the heart is properly maintained. However, the Princess of Love could use it against us, the sheer power of the love energy within can be weaponised. It destroyed King Sombra, and it could overwhelm us too.”

“The Crystal Empire is far north, in the middle of a frozen wasteland?”

“Between Equestria and Draco’s former hive, yes.”

“Then we shall leave it be for now,” Immortalis decided. “We can deal with them when the rest of the ponies’ civilisation falls.”

“And after that?”

“We expand. Each species will be brought under hoof, those who survive will serve us. Cannon fodder is always useful in warfare.”

“We have plenty of drones,” Twilight pointed out.

“I’d rather keep our population stable,” Immortalis stated. “But for now we have far more detailed plans to work out. Knowing our end objectives is good, but knowing exactly how we achieve them is better.”

“Are you going to be filling the other queens in on our end goals?”

“I already have,” the Empress informed Twilight, who briefly listened in and heard Immortalis’ voice pervading throughout the hive mind conveying their conversation.

“So I see,” Twilight remarked. “Well in that case, I already know of something that will assist in this campaign.”

“Oh?” the Empress sat forward, all ears.

“You have one advantage in particular against them. The Princess of the Sun specifically.”

“And what, pray tell, might that be?”

Twilight Sparkle smirked. “Me.”

End of Act 1

PreviousChapters Next