• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 15,445 Views, 1,839 Comments

Change: Queen of The Hive - tom117z



Changeling hives are vanishing with no trace left behind, who, or what is hunting the changeling race? And what fate awaits Queen Twilight Sparkle and the rest of her hive?

  • ...
36
 1,839
 15,445

PreviousChapters Next
19 - Queen Draco

“Run!”

None of them needed telling twice as they all turned tail and quickly began to sprint in the opposite direction of the incoming swarm, conveniently leading directly back to the pathway that led through to the forest. The only thing keeping their hooves on the ground and their wings folded was an unwillingness to abandon those among the group unable to fly. By the time they had made it to the path, putrid fiery green spells were impacting around them like an acidic rainfall, only missing because of the remaining distance and the fleeing group’s own situational awareness.

They proceeded up the narrow cutting, and Twilight lit her horn, magically striking out at a cluster of boulders higher up the side of the steep mountainside, causing a large chunk to collapse and rain down, completely blocking off all entrance between the pathway and the hive itself. While it wouldn’t stop the flying changelings, when combined with the pathway’s narrow passage it would at least slow them down.

Indeed the swarm had slowed on reaching the passage, much of it dispersing in favour of a smaller force of changelings moving in to continue the pursuit. Among this smaller force, a Changeling Queen with a piece of regalia strapped to her chest was at their head.

“Queen Draco, six o’clock!” Broad Sword shouted as they ran. “And she’s angry!”

Queen Twilight barely spared a glance back as she led her ponies and changeling forwards, she couldn’t afford to. They couldn’t risk a confrontation, their only hope was to stay ahead of their pursuers and lose them in the forest’s canopy.

An idea that was crushed when they saw the pathway up ahead had been collapsed in already, a dozen of Draco’s changelings crawling all along the surfaces of the piled up boulders. Some stood upright on their hooves, others stood on near vertical surfaces, but all were waiting for the same prey. On seeing their targets, their all homed their gazes towards them and let out a terrifying hiss in unison, standing up in aggressive poses.

The ponies and changelings with Queen Twilight all screeched to a sudden halt, their eyes shifting back and forth between the blockage ahead and the rapidly approaching Changeling Queen behind them.

“We’re boxed in!” Shining Armor shouted. “Twilight, what now?”

“Can we grab the non-fliers and carry them over the blockage?” Spike asked hurriedly.

“We’d be picked off before we made it,” Broad Sword rebuked. “We might need to fight.”

Twilight growled, her alarm increasing with each passing millisecond. She looked frantically around for some method of escape, and something just caught the corner of her eye.

“Up there!” Vladimir shouted, having also spotted it. “What’s that?”

Up the side of the mountain, a gaping hole filled with nought but darkness watched the unfolding events below. It was not a very inviting hole, but it was a gift horse they couldn’t afford to look in the mouth.

“Hang on!” Twilight shouted, her horn glowing a bright lavender as fiery portals consumed herself and all nine of her companions.

Just as they finished sinking into the ground a barrage of magic scorched the entire area they had just been standing, Queen Draco and her changelings barrelling into the ground a moment after. Draco examined the dirt around her hooves with a snarl, her fangs glimmering angrily in the morning’s sunlight. Her glowing red eyes glanced upwards, just catching sight of her prey emerging above them.

The group in question recovered quickly, just in time for a beam of green magic to shoot up from below and narrowly avoid one of Broad Sword’s Solar Guardsponies.

“Inside the cave, now!” Twilight screeched, all but pushing her allies forwards into the dark abyss.

All continued to run, venturing into the darkness with only the faint lavender glow of Twilight’s horn acting as a beacon to keep them on the right path, and not become forever lost within the depths of the mountain. They kept moving through various twists and turns, through branching paths leading further in, all in the effort to completely lose their pursuers, to great success. By the time their adrenalin had died down and they allowed themselves to rest there was no sign of Queen Draco or her changelings.

The problem was, they too had no idea where they were.

“So… we’re lost, aren’t we?” Vladimir asked after taking the time to catch his breath.

“Better than being dead,” Spike muttered in reply. “Where are we?”

Twilight allowed her horn to brighten further, and the group of ten examined their surroundings in details. Cave walls closed them in on all sides, beams of wood holding up the passage with various mining equipment scattered in the floor, heavily decayed through time. Cobwebs clung to the wood and drips of water pattered down from the ceiling onto the floor below.

“A mineshaft,” Twilight commented “Heavily disused, it must have been used by my friend’s hive at some point in time, perhaps during the construction of the hive itself?”

“Not the time for a history lesson, LSBFF,” Shining stated. “We need to find a safe way out of here, I doubt your ‘friend’ will give up so easily.”

“Your right,” Twilight agreed. “But we’ll have to explore, where we entered wasn’t an entrance. The true entrance to this mine must be around somewhere.”

“I have a bad feeling about this,” one of the changelings muttered.

Vladimir rolled his eyes. “An angry hive is after us, we’re lost in an ancient mine filled with who knows what… What could possibly be giving you a bad feeling Mr State the Obvious.”

“A little discipline, please,” Shining Armor scolded. “We’ve been through a lot, but we can’t lost out heads now.”

“Yeah, sorry.”

There were only two passages leading out of the current chamber, one being from where they came and the other leading further into the mountain. Shining cautiously looked into the passageway leading forwards, lighting his own horn and casting a floating ball of light down the hallway. The pink light clearly showed that the passage was empty, stretching a little ways before coming to an interception.

Shining Armor sighed. “I suppose we don’t have much choice but to press on, do we?”

The Changeling Queen shook her head, quickly moving to take the lead one more. Her changelings and her brother stayed close to her side, the others guarding their flank. Their progress was slow and cautious, but steady. The entire mine was eerily silent aside from the occasional spider sitting within its web. There were a few moments, however, when the group were forced to stop their progress as the sound of distant hooves and buzzing wings echoed down the many corridors. Only once all signs of Queen Draco and her hive disappeared did they allow themselves to breathe again.

Eventually, a span of time went by without any more signs of Queen Draco. There was also an increasing amount of abandoned tools and carts around, indicating they were reaching the centre of the mine. If that was indeed the case they were all rather hoping they could find a way out from there. However, as they approached the centre of the mine a great rumbling sound suddenly made itself known.

Vladimir stopped. “What is that?”

All of their ears swivelled, homing in on the sound. It was definitely coming from further down the passageway, and a slight breeze was also noticeable coming from that direction.

“Are we near an exit?” Broad Sword rhetorically asked. “That’s definitely a faint breeze.”

“I don’t see any light up ahead,” Spike pointed out.

“Maybe it’s just out of sight?”

“Let’s try not to get our hopes up too much,” Vladimir said. “Maybe go for a cautiously optimistic approach instead?”

“There is only one way to find out,” Queen Twilight Sparkle stated factually. “We press on, carefully.”

“What do you think we’ve been doing all this time?” Spike deadpanned.

Twilight elected to ignore the dragon’s snide remark, and instead continued on forwards with the others falling into step once more. As they continued down the passage they found an ascending incline, and at the top there was most definitely a light seeping into the passageway. However, the light didn’t look like it came from the sun, and seemed more artificial. It was a blueish purple, glowing rather than shining, and they couldn’t detect even the slightest bit of warmth coming from it as they approached. If anything, it reminding Twilight ever so slightly of the constellations she would see in Princess Luna’s wondrously flowing mane. All question of theirs would, in fact, be answered soon enough.

As they stepped out of the passageway and fully into the light they found themselves in a vast cavern with dozens of passageways leading out of it. Mining equipment was everywhere, left to turn into dust by their presumably long dead owners. The cavern’s floor was only partial, however, and a large tunnel that could fit a dragon the size of Dragon Lord Ember’s father, Former Dragon Lord Torch. The tunnel progressed down further into the mountain, leading to an unknown destination. They didn’t need to ask why such a large structure intersected with the mine due to the presence of something sleeping soundly at the entrance of that large tunnel.

An Ursa Major.

“Oh crap.”

Vladimir shook his head after making that statement, refocused his eyes and then examined the sight again just to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating. He wasn’t sure the massive glowing beast truly was there. Its body lit up the entire cavern, with what appeared to be constellations dancing around gleefully as the beast slept in peace. Its steady breathing was directed at the corridor which the group had just exited, sending a shallow breeze down the passage past the ponies and changelings.

“So… how do we deal with that?” Spike asked sheepishly. “That’s pretty big. Yeah, no way Trixie ever brought one down.”

“It’s asleep,” Twilight noted. “As long as we’re quiet, it will stay that way.”

“Alright, but where do we go from here?” Shining Armor asked. “There are quite a few passages.”

“That tunnel behind the Ursa Major must lead outside,” Vladimir stated. “Could we follow that?”

“We don’t known how far it is, where it exits or if any more of these creatures may be encountered along the way,” Broad Sword rebuked. “It probably leads out right in the middle of the mountains, not very helpful for us.”

The beast stirred slightly, shifting its head and allowing the breeze to turn away from the group and instead flow down another passageway.

“My Queen,” one of the changelings spoke, pointing at a passageway on the far side of the vast chamber. “That passage has the biggest concentration of equipment surrounding it. Possibly organised so the miners could collect what they needed as they entered.”

“Or they just kept it there for another reason,” one of the Solar Guards stated.

“Possibly,” Twilight said, humming in thought as the beast continued to snore. “But it’s a lead, we can start with that passageway.”

The sound of hooves caught their attention, and the group all turned to look to where the sound was coming from. It was coming from the exact passage the beast’s breath was travelling down and, just as it had with Twilight’s group, it had Queen Draco and her changeling to the central chamber.

“Oh crap,” Vladimir said for a second time.

The changelings spotted them immediately, and one overzealous drone quickly charged his horn and fired.”

“Wait!” Queen Draco bellowed, too late.

The hastily fired spell veered off course and, instead of hitting its intended targets, barrelled straight into the muzzle of the slumbering Ursa Major.

Silence reigned throughout the cavern, both groups freezing and slowly turning their gazes to the giant creature. A creature whose eyelids had suddenly fluttered open.

A single giant eyeball glanced between the two groups, and then the previously sleeping form began to rise up from the ground with a deafening roar. A paw with claws big and sharp enough to slice clean through the town hall in Ponyville rose up and then slammed down directly on top of the drone who had fired the spell, the creature then fully rising to all fours and striking out at Twilight’s group next.

“Scatter!”

All ten of them jumped to the side quick enough just to avoid the vast paw, Queen Draco and her changelings being forced to do the same as a second paw came for them.

“Get to that passageway!” Twilight commanded, making sure the group had begun fleeing before she herself turned to run.

The Ursa Major seemed to become distracted away from Queen Twilight and her allies when Draco used a magical shield to save herself from being flattened, the creature becoming enraged and beating against the magic bubble.

Queen Draco’s drones, however, did notice them fleeing and all took to the air in an effort to catch up. As the changelings passed by the Ursa Major, the creature’s rage filled eyes locked onto them and it turned all its attention to the hapless drones. The Ursa Major opened its great maw wide and lunged forwards, consuming all the changelings before they could react. The beast then turned back to Queen Draco who, during the Ursa Major’s momentary distraction, had taken to the air and begun firing beams of magic at the gargantuan animal.

With both their enemies being held up, Twilight Sparkle and her companions made it to the shaft safely. The Queen glanced back to see Draco skilfully and gracefully avoiding every strike the Ursa Major made, combating it quite effectively. Shining Armor grabbed onto her and pulled her forwards, encouraging her to forget the scene behind them and continue their escape. Twilight complied, joining the others as they scampered down the hallway and the sound of the now distant battle fell away into silence.

The corridor they ran down was long, but held no detours. Thankfully, they could glimpse the tiniest amount of sunlight seeping in from the end, the amount of sunlight increasing rapidly as they progressed.

Then, at long last, they burst out of the mountain and into the embrace of the open outdoors. They found themselves coming to a stop on a rocky plateau quite high up on the mountainside, down below the vast forest could be seen. There was no visible pathway leading up to the mine’s entrance, it having long faded away due to time. The only way down as a steep, but walkable, incline down to the forest. The entrance itself was largely hidden by an outcropping of rocks, it having been long forgotten and only now rediscovered.

“The sun, thank Celestia!” Vladimir half shouted in relief. “I was starting to think I would never see it again.”

“Ursa Majors, changelings…” Shining Armor muttered. “I’m ready to go home and face my wife’s wrath now, I think.”

Twilight nodded in agreement. “Yes. I think we should leave.”

Twilight’s nine companions all walked to the edge of the plateau and looked down the incline past it exhaustedly. Twilight herself stood apart from the rest of the group, looking at the forest for any sign of afflicted changelings that might have been waiting for them.

“We’re going down that?” Vladimir groaned. “Can’t we take a break?”

“We should keep moving a while longer yet,” Broad Sword stated. “We’re not in the clear.”

“How far do we have to go, sir?” one of the guards asked.

“I’d say until we reach the other side of the forest, then Spike can send Princess Celestia a message. Get an extraction sent for us.”

Spike nodded in agreement. “I can do that. Just give the wor-”

A green pulse of magic impacted Queen Twilight’s nine companions and sent them off the edge of the plateau, rolling uncontrollably down the following incline. Twilight shot around, seeing Queen Draco standing by the entrance to the mine with a rage filled expression on her face, her horn glowing a bright green as it prepared another spell.”

“Draco, no!”

Draco launched her spell at Twilight, it impacting harmlessly against Twilight’s suddenly raised shield. However, Draco tailed her attack closely and smacked right into Twilight shield with another spell empowering her body, enough so to break through the shield and tackle the other Changeling Queen.

The two queens both rolled in a heap down the side of the mountain in a different direction to where the others fell, only coming to a stop when they hit a flatter area. Twilight shakily got to her hooves, only to catch a green glow in the corner of her eyes. The Queen just about able to roll out of the way of the magical bolt in time, rising back to her hooves and firing back in retaliation, albeit reluctantly.

Draco countered each and every single one of Twilight’s spells as she charged forwards, the two queens locking horns moments later and battling for dominance. Each tried to push back against the other, only to find themselves at a stalemate. Then, almost simultaneously, the two both broke off the lock and ignited their magic to form two swords made of pure energy; they both struck forwards with their own blades, causing them to lock together just as their horns did a moment earlier, clashing lavender and green magic sparking wildly from their violent contact with one another.

“Draco!” Twilight shouted out pleadingly. “I found the note you left for me, and I know you’re fighting this! Let me help you!”

“I no longer require saving,” Draco spat. “I live to serve, as all queens do.”

“Serve? Serve who!?”

Draco chuckled sadistically. “Can’t you hear her? That presence in your mind, the one who shall return us to our ancient glory.”

“You sound like Crudelis!”

“Crudelis… A servant, even if she never realised it. You foiled those plans, but it mattered little in the end.”

Twilight grunted as her magic began to weaken. “A servant? What are you talking about!? Crudelis only ever served herself!”

“So she believed,” Draco said cryptically. “You shall understand all soon, just SUBMIT!”

The regalia on Draco’s chest glowed and the pressure in Twilight’s mind, a far more severe version of the one she felt at both the Council Hive and in the ancient ruins, began to consume her. Twilight gave a shout of pain and stumbled back, breaking the lock. Draco struck forwards with one of her own blades, Twilight barely being able to block it. A presence was threatening the sanctity of Twilight’s mind, and she drew upon all her mental defences as well as the strength of her hive mind to combat it. She was losing, however, and a red glow flickered momentarily in the corner of Twilight’s eyes before dissipating again.

“Submit!” Draco growled, trading a few more blows with Twilight.

“N-no… Never!” Twilight shouted in defiance.

Twilight parried another strike, proceeding to then disengage her blades and gather the magic in her horn and fire one devastating beam at Draco. The beam impacted the Queen’s chest and sent her flying backwards and onto the ground, the regalia’s glow flickering out from the impact.

“You insolent fool!” Draco raged.

The pressure in Twilight’s mind lessened, but before she was able to fully recover Queen Draco activated a portal and sank into the floor. A second later, she emerged again right next to Twilight, who span around to try and intercept the Changeling Queen. However, her mind was still a little foggy from the mental attack and thus was thoroughly unprepared for Draco delivering a hard buck to her torso.

Twilight hit the floor with a loud thud, becoming still. Her breathing was laboured, the wind having been taken out of her. As she tried to get up, an excruciating shock forced her back to the ground. Looking up, she saw Queen Draco had green coloured electrical energies dancing around her crooked horn, ready to shock the younger Changeling Queen again should she try anything.

“Draco… don’t…” Twilight managed to say. “I’m your friend. As you were friends with my mother. You must remember…”

Twilight swore she saw recognition briefly flash in Draco’s eyes, but her steely expression remained unchanged.

“You may have damaged her influence on the outside world with your attack, but I can still enlighten you personally,” Draco stated.

“WHO IS SHE!?” Twilight bellowed. “Who is it you are forced to serve.”

“I am not forced, I serve willingly and faithfully.”

“Draco, those are not your thoughts! Your hive mind is corrupted, fight it!”

“I… do not wish to fight…” Draco stated, her conviction fading. “I… cannot, Twilight.”

Twilight’s eyes widened, hope returning. “Draco, you’ve already been fighting her. You can continue to do so, I can help you.”

“No, my friend…” Draco said shakily, letting out a scream as she clutched her head in untold amounts of pain. “She is… I can’t…”

“Who is she?”

“The ancient one, come back to claim what she believes hers,” Draco muttered. “Her name is… her name… GAH! Get out of my head!”

“Draco…” Twilight went to stand, only to be shocked back into submission once more.

“Stay down, welp!” Draco shouted in a rage. “You cannot defy our… our… NO!”

The struggling Changeling Queen clutched her head one more, though only for a moment. A resolute and yet resigned expression crossed her features, the energies in Draco’s horn increasing and causing the electrical charge to rise up to a lethal amount. Draco looked down on the daughter of her best friend, and she smiled sadly.

“My friend… I’m sorry.”

The magic in Draco’s horn inverted, and then fired back down the horn and into the Changeling Queen’s skull.

“Draco, NO!”

The magical energies rapidly spread throughout Draco’s own body, locking her limbs in place. She didn’t scream, not that she could have, and neither did she break off the magic despite the obvious pain. She could have stop the flow at any time, but she kept on going as Twilight could only watch helplessly with tears pouring from her distressed lavender eyes. Draco, as time began to slow down for her, regretted subjecting Twilight to the sight; however, she did not regret the action itself. She was doing what she had to, it was the only way to save Twilight Sparkle from her. She owed that much to Queen Chrysalis, her friend since she was a nymph, and one she was greatly looking forwards to seeing again. Then, the magic finally stopped, Draco’s glassy eyes still looking down at her friend. Her legs gave way, and her lifeless body slumped to the floor.

Queen Draco, friend and close ally to both Queen Chrysalis and then Queen Twilight Sparkle, was dead.

Twilight could only stare at the sight, shaking terribly. Her mind was blank, though perhaps that was good as it confirmed the presence had gone. Tears continued to stream down her face, her magic coming into action and closing Draco’s eyes gently. She couldn’t believe it, she was meant to save her friend! She should have done something, anything!

These thoughts played in her head over and over, and she barely registered a call from off to one side. After a few more attempts, the voice caught Twilight attention and she saw her nine companions all alive and overall intact, all of them staring wide eyes at the sight.

“Twilight?” Shining Armor gingerly approached, placing a hoof on the distraught mare’s shoulder, his instincts as a big brother kicking in. “I’m here, you’re going to be alright.”

Twilight took several deep breaths in and out before she was eventually able to speak, albeit in a heavily despondent tone. “A-are you all alright?”

“We’re fine,” Shining reassured her. “A few bumps and bruises from the fall, but nothing serious.”

Twilight nodded, rising up and standing over her friend’s corpse. She took hold of the regalia, and gently pried it from the body, looking hatefully the object. She felt no presence in her mind, the regalia itself being charred from where her magic impacted it.

“What is that?” Shining asked.

“Whoever is behind this, she was using this to extend her influence. But it appears I broke it.”

“No loss there then,” Shining stated. “What are we going to do now?”

“We’ll stick to the plan, head to the edge of the forest and get an extraction. But, now that it’s broken, we’ll take this thing with us. Perhaps it can give us some insight into our foe?”

“Be careful, Twily,” Shining cautioned. “Are you sure it’s broken?”

“If it ticks again, I’ll hit it even harder,” Twilight stated hatefully. “This thing caused my friend’s death, and I will find its owner and I WILL kill them.”

“Twily…” Shining began, but got cut off.

“But before any of that, we must bury her,” Twilight commanded. “I shall not leave her here to rot in the sun.”

That was a sentiment Shining Armor couldn’t deny, and all of them pitched in to help, none of them wishing the surviving Changeling Queen to do it alone.

And so it was that when the job was done, the group departed and headed down the mountains and back into the canopy of the forest. As they left, so too did they leave behind them the final resting place of Queen Draco.

PreviousChapters Next