• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 4,748 Views, 274 Comments

World of Ponies: A Collection of Days - ShadowWalking18



In days of peace, the little moments are what count the most.

  • ...
20
 274
 4,748

The Emperor and Mare in the Moon

The seas of politics and statecraft are lock in a twisting maelstrom of churning chaos and confusion. Where one sees what might be a small wave, soon turns to a tidal form of danger. Danger turns to pockets of calm that allow breathing space, before giving way once more to torrents of churning water that threaten to tear apart all caught in its grip.

Through it all, Emperor Marcus, first of his name. Emperor of Humanity. Hero of the Changeling Wars. Hero of the war with Equestria. Marcus Ironhand. The First Freed; felt that he was part a single man a drift in this torrent of chaos, struggling to hold onto the flimsy piece of wood forged for the lessons with Castus on dealing in politics, and his own will.

And yet even this foundation felt ready to break each time he delved in the dance of nations.

It was easy to deal with his own people. The Hunter Lords were men, and the first woman Hunter lord elected after the war, that he knew and trusted; either through fighting beside or from the years wandering the lands before the formation of the Empire. And they, like all of the people of the empire, were largely honest and straight forward folk. if there was a disagreement, they would let it be known. Sometimes in a fight, with a fist thrown or two before it being broken up by clearer heads. Others with shouts and arguments that would soon give way to mutual agreement once the thought of tarnished honor or pride was forgotten. But with others, well it was simply a blessing that Marcus had thus far had little interaction with the other leaders of the world. Though what little he had so far, showed that he was not prepared to enter into such a world.

The lies and deceit. The twisted words and half truths. The almost daily attempt at turning words and making a simple comment on one's dress into a long sentence of support or mutual agreement on one form of argument or another.

And the constant feeling of eyes, judging him. Mocking him. Eyes that saw him as a lesser being. The snide remarks and casual brushing aside would have made younger hunters feel their blood boil. But Marcus could not act against such insults as he would wish, least he paint his entire people in such a light.

In short, Marcus felt that he was not ready to enter into such a world. And yet he was thrust into it, with only a bare minimum of internal support and even what support and aid he could gain from Castus was limited; for again politics came into play. Marcus must navigate the unfamiliar waters of court room procedures, least he seem like a figure head or puppet.

Marcus sighed, feeling defeated.

'Am I even worthy to lead my people?' He thought, gazing out over the city from his room balcony in Castle Val.

Sometimes he missed the simple days of wandering the land with his clan. Hunting when food was needed. Gathering and fishing. The Moot during the winter months. With only the barest worries of acquiring food to feed the clan; a task he could often do all on his own if his luck was good during a hunt; and the Hoof Beast he stalked was not to bright.

But now, the sense of confidence felt less apparent. Marcus wondered....

...did he deserve to rule?

What if he messed up? Made a mistake? True, Castus often told him that mistakes would be made, but he drew on an ancient knowledge that Marcus could only barely begin to fully understand. Castus was strong and confident, and more able to mauenver such mistakes to an advantage.

Marcus did not feel the same about himself. What would he say, if his actions, innocent if they seemed to him, started a war that his people were not ready to face?

The feeling of pressure weighed further on his mind, and he groaned as he placed his hands on his head; glad at least that the weight of the gold and silver mixed crown, adorn with jewels of various colors in a rainbow pattern that formed a tree at the center between his eyes, was not upon his brow.

He would never forgive Castus for such a thing. A crown simply seemed so....well it did not seem right for him. Yet he must wear it, he had to wear it. Or risk any number of possible things thought and felt by others.

Marcus groaned again, and he felt so utterly helpless. The only time he had felt this way before, was after the attack on the Moot during the war in which his only daughter had been killed. She had not been related to him by blood, she had been one of the children freed during the Great Escape and had not had a family with her; so he had taken her in as his own. She had been named Lilitha.

He had buried her under that great willow tree by the river that she loved to sit under and sing.

Marcus closed his eyes, and merely let himself listen to the sounds of the night; hoping the mixture of sounds would help ease his mind.

The night of course was quiet however, save for a soft tone in the air. The soft melody of someone singing, or humming, near by.

Marcus looked around, wondering where the sound was coming from. It was such a soft and tender melody, and it seemed to float on the night winds and lunar light of the moon.

Marcus soon looked down, getting a sense that the sound was from below him.

Sure enough, standing on the balcony below him, clad in a midnight colored gown she had worn during the courtly gathering was, as the Equestrians called her, The Princess of the Moon. Or the Lunar Princess.

Or to him, as simply Princess Luna.

The princess' horn was a glow in the soft moon blue light that often accompanied her magic, her eyes fixed on the skies in intent concentration. Curiosity took hold, and Marcus looked up from the princess to the night sky.

What could be up there that took such concentration?

He sucked in a breath, as he watched as the heavenly starlights above began to shape themselves, forming delicate patterns that seemed to form shapes if he looked closely and connected each point of light. A sense of awe came over Marcus, as he looked down at the princess of the night.

Marcus leaned against the rail of his balcony, watching the princess as she worked the night sky; every so often glancing up to watch as the clouds parted to keep the clear night sky in view. And so often the moon, moving across the sky. The last sight was such that he leaned against the stone railing, eyes alight with wonder.

But as he leaned forward, his meta hand chipped away at some loose stone, and Marcus looked down as he heard Luna gasp and look up.

The two stared at each other, before Luna gave a curtsy and bowed her head.

"Emperor Marcus." Luna greeted him.

Marcus looked down, nodding, "Princess Luna. Forgive my intrusion."

Luna shook her head, "There is no intrusion Emperor Marcus. This citadel and all the lands below are rightfully yours. We are only here at your willing invitation."

"We are honored to have you and your sister as guests." Marcus said, relieved that he had not caused any offense.

Luna frowned, "Somehow I feel that not all feel this way."

Marcus frowned, remembering the sense of hostility that the Lord Hunters and other people who had been present when he had greeted the Princesses.

"Fear and mistrust is to be expected," Marcus said, "But in time, it shall pass."

Luna smiled, "It will be our duties, to work for such a time then. But, I should not disturb you further. I will retire to my quarters."

"No." Marcus said suddenly, taking himself by surprise even as Luna looked up at him.

Luna looked up at him, waiting, and Marcus added, "I would, like to talk with you further. If it is no bother."

Luna looked up at the human emperor, before nodding, "It is no bother. But, may we talk at a more level plane." Unfolding her wings, Luna flew up and carefully landed on the balcony that Marcus stood upon.

The two looked at each other then, and a momentary silence fell on them. Marcus rubbed the back of his head, as he suddenly felt foolish asking for further conversation when yet he did not know what to talk about.

Finally, a question came to mind.

"What-What is it like, out there?" Marcus asked, looking up at the night sky.

Luna followed his gaze, and was quiet for a time before speaking softly.

"Silent. Cold."

Marcus frowned, "Is that all?"

Luna looked at him, "Should there be more to an endless void of space?"

Marcus frowned, then looked up once more at the night sky.

"An endless void," Marcus spoke softly, "I have little memories preserved before my awakening. But, I can recall looking up at the sky at night, when other Lost Ones slept. Even caged as we were, the clear glass ceiling allowed me to watch the stars. That much I can recall, and a sense of peace that it brought me. And even after my awakening, as Lord Castus and I wandered the lands with the clans, drifting off in separate directions as we moved, never settling down in one place for long. That night sky, still seemed to remain the same no matter where I walked. It was a comforting feeling, and a sense of the only true stable thing we had in our lives. A sense of home. A sense of freedom."

Luna looked at the human, at Marcus. She felt a touching sense in her heart, as he spoke those words. Few could understand the true feelings of the night and the sky above. And yet, this human seemed to understand it almost as well as she could. Luna could not help, but give a slight smile.

"Thank you Emperor Marcus. You are very wise, even as young as you are."

"I'm thirty one. Or at least that is what Castus has told me during our travels when he was checking the clans health." Marcus said.

Luna chuckled, "We alicorns live for a long time, so to me you are still so very young."

Marcus frowned, "Hmmm, still young or old, I often wonder if I am as wise as you think." He turned and looked down at the city below.

"What do you mean?" Luna asked, stepping up beside him; though maintaining a polite distance.

Marcus sighed, "There have been so many changes in my peoples lives, especially now that we are a nation instead of a band of roaming clans. We have duties and tasks. Myself more then anyone. I have to lead my people to a better future, where we won't need to worry of our survival or if our freedoms will be taken from us."

Marcus clenched the railing tightly, "Sometimes, I feel I am not good enough to lead. I am not wise in the court as Castus. Or as you or your sister. And even aong the other Lord Hunters, I feel that I am not as bold, or that I am too cautious. Sometimes...."

Marcus took a deep breath, and let it out slowly, "Sometimes I feel that I am not fit to lead. That another would be a better ruler then myself."

Marcus looked away from the city, "But, you wouldn't understand. I should not put my problems on you like that. Forgive me."

"I do understand." Luna said, looking at Marcus. Marcus looked back at her, confused.

"I understand how you feel," Luna started, "It has been over a thousand years since I returned from my imprisonment in the moon. In that time, I have often wondered on my role in Equestria."

Marcus blinked in surprise, "A thousand years? Imprisoned where?"

Luna looked up at the moon, and Marcus followed her gaze. He felt a sudden feeling of shock and awe as he looked back at the princess before him.

"The Equestria I find myself in today, is not like it was a thousand years ago. Though my subjects are more accepting of me, my role in their lives is almost nonexistent. Even when I watch over their dreams, and help them best their nightmares, on the larger political scale it is still my sister who stands at the forefront." Luna said, running a hoof through her mane to push it back behind her ear.

"I can understand how it feels to think you are unworthy to lead, or unable to." Luna finished.

Marcus frowned, "But you have a thousand years of experience and knowledge."

Luna nodded, "Yes. But even with such wisdom as I have, even the best of leaders can feel that they have fallen short of their expectations. Even my sister feels such ways at times; though do not tell her I told you that."

Marcus thought on that, "How do you stay strong then? How do you know if you are still leading properly?"

Luna moved and stood next to him as they both looked out at the night sky, "I can stay strong, because I know I am not alone. I have my sister beside me, and ponies I trust to help me when I need an outside look on my decisions. Surely you have such as well."

Marcus nodded.

"Then let yourself lean on them when you need support. A king or queen is not an island to themselves. Let your friends and allies help you and in turn help them. A sense of support, will often help ease the tension of leadership." Luna said, offering Marcus a friendly smile.

Marcus thought on that, "I...suppose. But will that not make me seem weak, if I must have others council me or aid me?"

Luna scuffed, "Only a fool thinks they can lead without advice. Even my sister listens to her advisors before she makes a decision. Listening to others, who might see or feel for things in a different way then you is not weakness dear Emperor. It is wisdom."

Marcus thought on those words for a time. Before turning to Luna and bowing his head.

"Thank you, Princess Luna. I think that such words were what I needed to hear." Marcus said.

"Often we only need a few words of confidence, to help ourselves stand firm," Luna said with a smile, "I know in the past, I need such words as well."

Luna then gently patted Marcus' hand, and Marcus was surprised by the soft and warm feeling of her fur on his hand despite the could night breeze. Luna offered him a smile.

"You are a kind man Emperor Marcus. I have seen it in your words and how you treat your subjects. I am sure you will prove to be a good leader for your people. "

Marcus smiled, "Thank you Princess Luna. I can only hope I can be as wise a leader as you."

Luna chuckled, "Well, you should not try to be completely like me. A thousand years in the moon can leave you feeling completely out of sorts when your return. Especially when you must get use to all sorts of new technology."

Marcus chuckled, "Well. I must confess, even I find myself confused by much of what the empire is acquiring from Equestria in trade."

Luna smirked, "Hmmm. Well, a word of caution then. Try not to sneeze if somepony is taking a picture of you. The press can often be an annoyance with such things."

"Press?" Marcus said confused, tilting his head.

Luna laughed, "Well, perhaps you do not have to worry yet about that. Good night Emperor Marcus."

"Good night Princess Luna. Though you may call me Marcus if you wish. The title of Emperor is still something I am not comfortable with." Marcus said with a nod.

"Then you may call me Luna. It has been good to talk with you." Luna said, before sliding off the rail and gliding down to her balcony. She waved up in farewell to Marcus as she entered her room.

Marcus watched, waving good bye. Then he looked up at the night sky with a smile.