• Published 24th Mar 2016
  • 1,328 Views, 176 Comments

Strider - Olakaan Peliik



My name is Flame Strider, I am a Pegasus, and City Guard. This is my record of my time in the City Guard, and travels across Equestria.

  • ...
3
 176
 1,328

Baltimare I

I looked at the black and white photo I held in my wing. It was a shame that KG had to take a later train; I wanted a rematch on that poker game we played on the train when we met. I sure was going to miss him.

Sighing, I put the photo away and watched the landscapes go by as the train approached Canterlot. Unicorn Range and the fields below Cloudsdale sped by in a blur of colors. All in all the train ride was quiet, and a little boring. There weren't any other Guards or soldiers in the Service Car this time, just me.

With Equestria getting into the winter months, Canterlot was already doused in white snow. Other cities and the smaller towns would soon be following the same example.

I was supposed to have only ten minutes to get to the next train, but the train arrived in Canterlot five minutes ahead of schedule. That gave me fifteen minutes to stretch my legs and wings, before being confined to yet another train car.

I walked over to the loading zone for my next train and stood to the side. There were considerably more Guards getting on this one. Off duty Captains, Lieutenants, Sergeants, and guards of various rankings all going to Baltimare or the few towns along the route for one reason or another.

The cold breeze was nice. I always had a higher body temperature, which I found worked well in the winter months. I hate the desert though. WAY too hot.

I watched the crowd and did some stretches to limber up as they all slowly boarded the train. That is until a familiar pony form caught the corner of my eye. Looking into a window halfway down the train car I saw Snow reading a magazine, unaware of her surroundings. The seat next to her was empty too.

This changed my priorities immediately. I gathered my things up off the ground and boarded the train. I slowly struggled through the line to where she was sitting. She was so wrapped up in that magazine she didn't notice me putting my things on the rack above her and sitting down.

So I waited for her to notice me sitting there with an amused smile on my face. Even as the train moved forward and started its trek to Baltimare, she just kept reading the magazine. I sat as quietly as possible, trying to stifle my giggling.

About ten minutes into the train ride a conductor started checking travel papers. He asked everypony in the car as he walked. “May I see your travel papers please?” the older stallion asked with a warm smile as he approached me.

I got my papers out from beneath my wing. As he looked them over I decided it was time to pull Snow back into reality. “Snow, he needs to see your travel papers,” I said nudging her with a wing.

She nearly came unglued as her magic flared and she dropped her magazine. “Strider! What are—” she started, smiling broadly at me.

I turned to the conductor and took my papers back, and then he looked expectantly at Snow. “Papers?” he asked.

“Oh, yes of course.” She got her papers out and levitated them up for him to see. Snow held her excitement in while he looked. I was close to laughing.

“Everything is in order. Enjoy the ride you two.” He nodded at us and continued down the row.

Once he was gone, Snow immediately hugged me and buried her muzzle in the softer spot between my shoulder and chest muscles. “I take it you missed me?” I inquired wrapping my left wing around her.

I heard a muffled “Yeah,” from her.

I just smiled and let her hug me. After a minute, she looked up at me in confusion. We remained in in each other's embrace while we talked.

“I thought you were in Tall Tale? What are you doing on the train to Baltimare, visiting one of your brothers or something?” she asked me in that mix of Trottingham and Manehattan accents I knew her for.

“Transfer. You?” I replied.

“Oh, I couldn’t stand it anymore.” She glared forward at nothing in particular. “I got written up for something that Vanity did, and she got praised for something I did.”

I returned the confused look. “I'd leave too,” I agreed. “But you're going back, right? Are you just on vacation or something? I mean you said you wanted to live in Canterlot.”

She looked at me almost defensively. “I do,” she started. “But after getting written up I thought I'd do the same thing you’re doing. See, live, and work in a few cities, then head back when I'm ready.”

“You're transferring to Baltimare?” I asked with hope.

“Mmhm,” she nodded with a smile. “I just kinda figured since it's a little closer to Manehattan I’d be at least familiar with it.”

My heartbeat sped up; I felt like I was soaring. “That'd be nice. Only things I know of the city are when I came here to visit my grandparents.”

Snow nodded then her eyes lit up with a fresh start of hope. “Now that you're gonna be in Baltimare too, maybe we can be partners again?”

I shrugged. “Maybe. But it's a slim chance, it's not up to us. Remember?”

“Yeah, I know. But it's not gonna stop me from wishing it.” She leaned against me, getting comfortable. Her touch against me felt like heaven.

“Let’s worry about it when we get there. Let's just enjoy the train ride like the conductor said to,” I suggested, wrapping my wing around her snugly.

She smiled and rested her head against my shoulder, before speaking under her breath. “It'll be much more enjoyable with you there too.”

I just smiled and looked out the window as the scenery rolled by, content with the moment. Part of me couldn’t wait to get to Baltimare, but the other part of me wished this train ride would never end.


The jostling of the train car pulling into the Baltimare train station woke me from my nap. I yawned and looked down at Snow, who was curled up beneath my wing. She let out a tiny snore and mumbled in her sleep.

From the train window, I looked out across the city. I could see the old buildings built of brick that still stood strong circling the outer portions of the city. Closer to the center and the water’s edge was where the larger newer buildings resided; their material was definitely younger than the centuries-old brick, but the buildings’ architecture still reflected the styles of the oldest buildings.

I gently nuzzled my sleeping partner. “Snow, wake up, we're here.”

She yawned and blinked herself awake. I watched her frosty blue eyes slowly open. Aurora’s words echoed in my head. Oh, Tartarus, she was right. I do have feelings for this mare.

“Why are you staring?” Snow asked, her face turning a little pink.

I flushed. “Um, nothing. Just making sure you're awake,” I stammered. A terrible excuse that I don't think she bought for a moment.

Once the train finished pulling into the station, we waited for our fellow Guards to get off before us. When everypony else was ahead of us, I stood and retrieved my bags from the rack above us. Snow merely levitated her saddlebag onto her back as she followed me off the train.

We got off the train and started away from the train station. I was stopped by a tap on my shoulder, which felt more like a meteor strike. Ouch. I looked to see Atlas and Thasus were waiting for me outside the train station.

“Hey, little bro!” Atlas exclaimed.

“What are you guys doing here? I didn't tell you I was gonna be here yet,” I said as I hugged them.

“I work out with the local guard sometimes, one of the Warrant Officers told me you were coming,” Thasus said.

Atlas shrugged his large shoulders. “I'm here because I was visiting Grandpa and Grandma. I had decided to visit Thasus today, then he told me you were transferring here, and arriving today. Thought I'd tag along.”

“That some big coincidence,” Snow muttered a little too loudly.

Thasus and Atlas spun their heads around faster than a basilisk hunting for prey. Snow shrunk away from their gaze, blushing. I thought she couldn't get any cuter than she already was. Oh, Celestia help me!

Atlas spoke in a mock posh voice. “Is this the infamous Snow you told us about? The one you told us you went to the Academy with?” Atlas asked, circling Snow like some kind of predator.

Thasus did the same voice and joined the circling. “She has to be the one. Same visual details as the little brother described.”

“My name is First Class Guard Snow. A pleasure to meet you two. Atlas and Thasus? Am I right?” Snow asked. “Where is your third? Strider said the show is always lacking without all three of you present.”

Atlas’ and Thasus’ ears drooped as their eyes went wide. Atlas looked over to me like how a general orders his troops. “You marry her! You marry her right now!” he shouted at me.

I could see Snow blushing even more off to the side. I cleared my throat. “Guys, slow your roll. Snow and I are just partners, friends.”

Thasus looked over to Snow. “That is the biggest load of—”

“Thank you guys for meeting us at the train!” I shouted cutting Thasus off. “But we really must be reporting in.” I put a wing around Snow and lead her away from my crazy brothers.

“Oh no, you don't! You're not getting away from us that easily. We both have the day off, so we're sticking with you for the day.” Thasus said, trotting beside us with one of the biggest smiles I had ever seen plastered on his face.

“And what? Embarrass me in front of my new colleagues?” I asked, cringing internally.

“That is precisely the plan,” Atlas said, following along on my other side.

Snow was giggling quietly. “Even without Orion they are still kinda funny,” she whispered to me.

“To you, maybe,” I groaned. “You’re not the one who had to grow up with them.”


The Guard compound here was more like a campus. There were several different buildings all crammed together like a mini town. There was a field in the center that looked like it was used for more than a few kinds of sports.

Snow and I stood at the right end of a long line of new arrivals for the Baltimare Guard, arranged in a half circle to better hear the Captain. I could hear Thasus and Atlas snickering behind me. The Guard Captain was a white earth pony mare with a pale pink mane. The uncommon color palette for an earth pony, but who am I to judge? She walked back and forth along the line of about twenty new Guards.

There were only a few Third Class Guards, they'd get standard guard duty in the local jail. A handful of Second Class Guards would be on patrol guards, parole officials, or prisoner transfers. And the First Class Guards like Snow and I would be handling special assignments, like say if a princess came to town, or my personal favorite flavor, Special Investigations.

Obviously, Tall Tale operated differently out of necessity.

“Listen up!” the Captain shouted abruptly. “I do not tolerate insubordination. I do not tolerate backtalk. I do not tolerate disobeying orders. Any Guard that is caught disobeying any of the rules will be subject to disciplinary action.” She paused, letting the information sink in. “Am I clear?” she shouted.

“Yes ma’am!” we shouted.

“I didn’t hear you. I must have something in my ears. Try again,” she said with a devious grin.

I could hear Atlas and Thasus behind me, snickering at the whispered comments they were having between them.

“YES MA’AM!” we roared.

“That’s better,” she nodded, satisfied. “I'm gonna hoof things over to First Sergeant Magnus and Warrant Officer Quibbly. They’ll assign you your partners and your rooms.”

She turned to step aside and the whole row gave a salute. First Sergeant Magnus and Warrant Officer Quibbly approached. Starting at the end of the row, they started delivering assignments pony by pony. When they reached one of the Second Class Guards they stopped and pointed over to where I was standing.

The Guard said nothing and trotted over and stood on the opposite side of Snow from me. He was an earth pony and gray all over, with a large cutie mark of what looked like a stone shield of some sort. As Magnus and Quibbly made their way down the line, each pair of guards were dismissed to go get settled.

I waited patiently as two by two went to a barracks. I started counting by two from where the other end of the line was. The two guards to my left would be paired together. Then it was me, Snow, and this Second class guard.

I was starting to worry that Snow would get paired with somepony else. When they finally dismissed the two on my left they stepped up to us.

“Guards First Class Flame Strider, and Snow,” Magnus started. “Strider, I want you paired with Stone there.” He looked at Snow. “Snow, unfortunately, we don't have a partner for you. But I am aware that you and Strider here trained together in the Canterlot Academy.”

Snow nodded, staying composed.

“I got permission from the Captain to conduct a little experiment. I want you to team up with Strider and Stone here,” Magnus told her, then stepped back a pace to look at all three of us. “Your three will report to Special Investigations at o’seven hundred sharp.”

An excited squeal rushed up into my throat, and I was barely able to hold it back. “Yes, Sergeant,” the three of us said in unison.

“Quibbly, they’re all yours.” Sergeant Magnus stepped back and walked away.

Warrant Officer Quibbly stepped up to us. He was a brown unicorn with a short orange mane. He didn't look up from his clipboard. The keys attached to the board jingled as he studied his list. “Barracks two, room nine on floor two,” he reported dully. He levitated three keys off his clipboard. “One key for each of you. Room inspection is once a month. Your armor is already in your room. If anything doesn't fit, come see me down in Requisitions. Dismissed.” He walked off.

All the Sergeants and the Captain were leaving as well. I looked over to Snow who was just smiling. I looked past her at Stone. He was still at attention.

“Stone?” I asked him moving in front of him. I waved my hoof in front of his eyes. “Stone, they’re gone.”

He finally blinked. “Oh, good,” he sighed, relaxing. “You know, it's really difficult standing there holding your breath and not blinking.”

“We were standing there for a good twenty minutes. How are you able to hold your breath that long?” Snow asked, taken aback.

“Oh, ya know, I just don't think about it.” He looked at me with dopey smile.

“Right,” I said slowly. I was starting to think that this pony might be a few hay fries short of a meal. “Well, we have our room now. Do you want to go see it?

“We partners?” he asked.

“Uh huh. You, me, and Snow here.”

He tilted his head, still smiling. “Who’s Snow?”

“I'm Snow,” Snow said, stepping forward and smiling kindly at him.

“What’s your name?” Stone asked pointing a hoof at me.

“My name is Strider,” I told him.

Stone smiled and grabbed Snow and me into a lung-crushing hug. “I have friends! We can all hang out in the room together, and we can all get ice cream. Oh, and we can have sleepovers!”

“Stone, bud,” I wheezed, struggling away from him.”We live in the same room!”

“That just means that every night is a sleepover. Awesome!” He finally let us both go and went to retrieve his gear off the ground.

I gasped for air as Stone wandered off, still smiling. Atlas strolled over, chuckling merrily. “He's like a giant foal.” He paused to think a moment. “A giant foal who can punch your lights out.”

“Perhaps we should leave them to get acclimated,” Thasus commented. “Strider, meet us at Grandma and Grandpa’s house later. I'm sure they want to see you.”

“I'll try and make it over. But I can't guarantee it,” I told him, gathering my stuff up.

I watched Snow already heading to the barracks. Atlas leaned in to whisper in my ear. “Bring your marefriend too. Grandma would want to meet her.”

“She's not my marefriend,” I said in a stern voice to a retreating Atlas, feeling my blush rising up to the crown of my head.

We heard a thud. Turning, we saw that Stone had started chasing a butterfly around in circles, which resulted in him getting dizzy and falling on his back. “You may want to bring him too. Best not leave him alone,” Thasus added, shaking with laughter. “Later,” he said, following Atlas out.

I waved a wing in their direction and started toward the barracks after Snow. “Stone! Come on, bud,” I called him over. I knew he wasn’t a dog, but it's the first method that came to mind.

He hurried over and followed behind me. As I followed Snow closely I couldn’t help but stare as she walked. I had to admit, it wasn’t just her personality that was attracting me. When she reached the door, she looked back at me. I made a point to look at anything else: the floor, ceiling, a random door across the hall, the dust bunny in the corner.

“We’re here,” Snow said as she unlocked the door. She was obviously suspicious of my behavior. I had to curb some of these feelings for now. I could deal with them another day.

Entering the dorm, I was surprised to see it a definite upgrade from the room in Tall Tale I shared with KG. There were three beds along the back wall. Two were put together to form a bunk bed, and the third stood alone. They sat wall to wall, partially covering the window.

“Dibs on top bunk!” I shouted, leaping over Snow and flying up to the top.

“No fair! You had top bunk at the academy,” Snow protested.

“Can you get up here with as little trouble like me?” I asked with a smirk. Snow just pouted. “Stone, you can have that one all to yourself.”

I looked over the room more. There was a small two pony table to the right of the door. Along the left side was where the lockers were. They were tall and definitely meant to hold a lot of gear. Snow and Stone each had nightstands near the head of their beds. I had a single shelf that looked recently installed and a corkboard with a few tacks behind my pillow.

I flopped my bags onto my bed. I could deal with unpacking later. “So my grandparents are making dinner and we three are invited,” I said as I watched Snow already halfway through unpacking.

“Oh, that sounds nice,” Snow said without looking at me.

My face and my heart both fell a little bit. “We don't have to go if we don't want to.”

She looked up at me with that million gem smile of her’s. “No, we should go. Celestia knows when we'll get another decent meal once we get to work. You heard the First Sergeant. We are supposed to be reporting to Special Investigations in the morning.”

“All excellent points.” I hopped off my bunk. “Stone, want to go get some dinner at my grandparent’s place?” I looked to see Stone dumping the contents of his bag into the corner beside his bed. I’d have to ask Snow for help cleaning it up later.

He looked at me suspiciously. “Will there be ice cream?”

That was an easy question when it came to my grandmother. “Yes actually. Grandma has an entire icebox full of ice cream.” Stone nodded eagerly.

“So it’s decided?” I asked.

“Looks that way. I’m done unpacking anyway.” Snow’s eyes widened at Stone’s mess when she saw it, then whispered to me, “I’m gonna have to clean that, aren't I?”

I nodded and whispered back. “I’ll try and help.” I looked at Stone. “Come on bud. My grandparents live in Red Town.”


Red Town was one of the sections of Baltimare, the oldest one in fact. The majority of every building was made of red brick, hence the name. We were coming up to my grandparent’s house. It was late afternoon, not quite dinner time, but I was sure Grandma Galaxy has already started cooking.

Seven Seventy-Two Lantern Lane is the house we walked up to. Before knocking, I looked back at my partners. “Fair warning. My grandmother can be quite talkative at times. Especially when she has guests.” I opened the door and entered.

My nose was greeted with the scent of vanilla as I entered. I smiled at the smell. Loud voices came from the living room, I doubt they heard me open the door.

The living room had a lot of seating; there was a large L-shaped couch that dominated one side of the room and a corner, where Atlas and Thasus sat. My grandfather's chair was nearest the fireplace at the end of the L-couch. There was a standard three to four pony couch across from my grandfather’s chair and the coffee table that sat in the middle.

Rounding the corner to the living room I made my presence known. “Hey, Grandma!” I said calling her attention.

Grandma Galaxy stood from her seat on the couch beside Atlas. “Ahh! We were starting to think you wouldn't come!” she beamed. She made her way around the coffee table and hugged me.

I could see my grandfather in his chair. We exchanged nods as our hello.

Grandma kissed my cheek as she pulled away. “I brought some guests Grandma,” I said revealing Snow and Stone behind me.

“Oh, you know I don't mind. The more the merrier. Why don't you introduce me and your grandfather?”

“Grandma Galaxy, Grandpa Skyquake. These are my partners Snow, and Stone.” I gestured to everyone as I said their names.

“I hope you two like lasagna. I made three.” She turned and bounced towards the kitchen.

“Three?” I repeated as a question. “Grandma, don't you think that's a bit much?”

“We asked her the same question,” Thasus chimed in.

We could hear my grandmother talk from the kitchen. “You boys ate a lot as colts, even more as you grew. Now you are soldiers and Guards, don't think that I forgot how to cook for soldiers.” She came out of the kitchen still smiling. “There are three soldiers here and three Guards. Three lasagnas are barely enough for the seven of us.”

“Okay, point made,” I said, nodding. I gestured for Snow and Snow to sit down on the four pony couch. I sat myself down in a spare chair leaving my grandmother a spot on the couch beside my grandfather.

“So have you been promoted yet? We read in the paper about your previous commander,” my grandfather asked me.

“I have. Guard Class One.”

“Good,” he nodded turning his gaze over to my companions.

“Snow, is it? You trained with my grandson in the Academy. How are your skills as a guard?”

I was momentarily worried that Snow would think my grandfather was one of those ponies who didn't think mares had any place in being guards or soldiers. The truth was, he didn't care who you were as long as the job got done, but Snow might not know that.

“Good enough to get written up for doing my job,” Snow cracked a grin.

My grandfather smiled and laughed. “Yeah, that'll happen.” He looked over to Stone. “What about you, boy?”

“I got into the Guard and I finished training,” Stone smiled.

My grandfather gave me a confused look. “He's a few apples short of a bushel,” I told him in a hushed voice. “But he apparently knows how to be a Guard, so here he is.”

“I see,” he nodded. “So you three are partners? What do they have you doing?”

Snow answered before I could. “We are to report to Special Investigations in the morning. I expect Strider will have the most experience with this though. With Stone being fresh out of the academy, and me having been only on patrol for six months. He will have to take lead until one of us catches up.”

Stone just nodded in agreement. “Was I just nominated to take the blame if something goes wrong?” I asked.

“Good luck, brother. You'll need it,” Atlas said smiling.

“Wonderful.” I rolled my eyes.

“Dinner is ready!” Grandma Galaxy called from the dining room. “The lasagnas have cooled a bit and now we're ready to eat.” She walked into the living room. “Thasus, show our guests to their seats, Atlas help your grandfather, and Strider I would like to have a word in the kitchen please.”

This was unusual. Usually, she only called me into the kitchen when I was in trouble or something. Once we reached the kitchen I started. “What’s up?”

“‘What’s up’ is that mare clearly likes you,” she said glaring at me.

“What? No, she—” Grandma interrupted me by hitting me on the head with a wooden spoon. “Owch!”

“You may be a good Investigator, but you are as oblivious as ever. Ask that mare out, or I'll do it for you, and I'll know if you show her up.”

“How will you know?” I asked, half-skeptically, half-fearfully.

“I have my ways.” She left the conversation at that and joined the group in the dining area.

I followed and sat down nearby my grandfather. Snow and Thasus were talking about magic spells. Atlas and Stone were talking about armor types. My grandmother jumped between each conversation.

“She whacked you on the head didn't she?” Grandpa Skyquake asked. I nodded. “Whatever it is she told you to do. Do it. And she will know. I don't know how she finds stuff out but she does,” he said before turning his attention to the meal in front of him.

I followed his lead, turning my attention to my meal. Perhaps I will ask Snow out. Soon, just not right now.

Author's Note:

AND WE'RE OFF! :pinkiehappy:

I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and the start to the new arc, it was extremely fun to write. I've been looking forward to writing more interaction of Strider and Snow. Strider and his family is another thing I've been looking forward too. From here on out I'm gonna be trying to make the chapters longer so I'm not moving too fast in the scenes.

Enjoy everyone! :rainbowdetermined2:
V.2