• Published 19th Jun 2012
  • 4,152 Views, 66 Comments

Not Guilty - StormbadgerXIII



Twilight is convicted of a crime she didn't commit and is sentanced to death.

  • ...
10
 66
 4,152

Chapter 2 - Trials

Not Guilty

Chapter 2 - Trial

She had always read about these things, but never thought it would happen to her.

She lay on the straw-filled sack that served as an improvised (and uncomfortable) matress, wishing she were back in Ponyville, reading about being arrested for a crime she didn't commit rather than actually living it. The stone-worked room was cold and damp, and with no lighting save the lamps in the outside and the light from the morning sun. She would have given anything to feel that sun again.

The metal slider on the door grinded open, and a dark-grey unicorn guard trotted in. "Twilight, your trial will be starting in half an hour. Please accompany me."

"Thanks..." she muttered sadly in reply. She slid off the matress and let the guard escort her to the trial rooms.

"So you're the mare everyone's talking about, eh?" The guard commented. "I thought you'd look... tougher."

"I didn't murder anypony." she said for the upteenth time. "I was arrested with no idea of it happening."

"Oh, I believe you." he said. "Nopony like you could do something like that. However, I'm not the one to tell that to."

"You... believe me?" Twilight said, stopping in her tracks. The guard turned around, smiling.

"Well, yeah. Only the regretful or the innocent cry that much."

"Oh." Twilight murmured, blushing. "That makes sense."

"What's your name anyway?" The guard asked, returning to his brisk pace.

"T-Twilight Sparkle." Twilight said, following the guard in turn.

"The captain's sister? Damn me, no wonder he looked pissed today." He looked forward. "I thought he might rip my head off."

Shining wouldn't. "What's your name?"

"Well, technically I'm not allowed to tell you in case you win and track me down to exact your revenge..." he said matter-of-factly but with a hint of sarcasm. "...but, between you and me, I don't think you'd do that. My name's Greylance."

"Nice to meet you, Greylance."

"Likewise. Oh, look, we're here."

Twilight looked up from the floor and spotted the tremendous doors that she knew led to the trial chamber, where her ultimate fate would be decided. If she won, she could return back to her life. If she lost...

She felt something clamp around her neck. Tight, but not chokingly so. She turned to see Greylance fiddling with it. "Sorry, standard procedure. Anti-ma-"

"Magic device, I know." Twilight said, smiling despite herself. "It makes sense. Don't want me doing something brash like teleporting or magic arrows, right?"

"Can you do those?" Greylance asked, genuinely curious.

"Only the teleporting." Twilight replied.

"Still, that's pretty cool. I can only use TK to move my sword." Greylance said, looking away. "Or my lance. I'm deadly good with a lance."

Twilight put a hoof on his shoulder. Surprisingly, she didn't push it off. "Thank you, Greylance."

"Aww, it's nothing. You'd better head inside, they're waiting."

<hr>

"Mares and gentlestallions." The prosecutor began; a middle-aged pale-coated unicorn with a gavel on his flank. "It is impossible to not see that this pony-" He pointed a shakey hoof at her accusingly "-is guilty. The evidence is overwhelming, and we have heard, first hand, how powerful her magical talents are, and how she has been, on several occasions, reported to have mental stability problems." He turned to face the judge, who was flanked by both Celestia and Luna; the former looking resigned and solemn, the other's cold, judging glare piercing the souls of everyone in the room. "I'm sure we don't have to recite the Smartypants incident to the court?" How the hay is that even related to murder?!

"Furthermore, there is the significant evidence left on the scene of the crime, all pointing to Miss Sparkle being the murderer... the first we've had in 23 years." He continued, pointing at Twilight again. "Until this little mare came along Equestria could feel safe to walk the streets at night." He turned to the jury. "Would you feel safe knowing that your life could be ended?" The muttering of the jury signalled the answer. "Your honour and your majesties, I rest my case."

"Very well then." The judge said. "We will now hear the defense's case."

"Thank you, your honour." Twilight's defender replied. He was a blue-coated Earth pony, and was at least 10 years younger than the prosecutor. He brisky trotted to the centre of the room, and turned his head to the jury. "Have you ever had a dream?"

Wow. Catchy.

"A dream to become whatever you want? Scientist? Adventurer? Sportspony?" He chuckled, facing away from them. "Of course you would. Everyone has a dream. My dream was to save ponies." He gazed at Twilight with his deep green eyes. "But this young mare's dreams have been shattered.

"Miss Sparkle is a straight-A student, directly under her majesty Princess Celestia herself. She has not commited any crimes beforehand, and the many character profiles others have given her describes her as intelligent and caring. Her supposed 'mental breakdowns' are the result of becoming overstressed. Even when she was at the sort of mental state that would normally make us want to wring the necks of others, Twilight simply, and-" he pulled a sheet of paper from his desk, with pink scrawl covering it "-I quote Pinkamena Pie here, 'went fwoooom like a campfire, before falling down'."

Twilight rolled her eyes, smiling despite her life being in this stallion's hoof. That's Pinkie all right.

The buck gently placed the paper back on the table before walking another labeled 'Evidence'. "Besides, how do we know she killed Ginger Gold? Mane hairs? Hoof prints?" He pointed to the roof, his head remaining level. "We live in a day of age where the finer points of the manipulation of magic are becoming common knowledge. I have a report, which I will display for the court, of a recent research report on changeling magic. With the right techniques, somepony could transform into the defendant.

"Furthermore, her assistant, Spike, has stated that Twilight was in the library for the whole night-"

The prosecutor stood up. "Objection, your honour. This 'Spike' you mentioned was asleep at the time; he would not be a reliable witness. And we know, for a fact, that we cannot replicate the magic used by changeling; the report on changelings has stated that pony and changeling magic is not interchangeable." He raised a questioning eyebrow at the earth pony in charge of not getting Twilight killed. "And no pony has ever been know to be able to change their very form to that of another, according to recent census."

The judge nodded, turning to face the defence. "Is this true?"

The blue buck blinked in surprise. "Yes, that is true."

The judge gestured to him. "Very well then. You may proceed with the rest of your case."

He took a deep breath, eyes closed. "Miss Sparkle had never truly met the victim. She only knew her by name and cutie mark. I'm certain that the defendant, neigh, anyone, would have a reason to murder her." He walked in front of the judge, looking at him from his side. "Certainly, your honour, you would not murder someone you didn't know." He rapidly spun to face the jury, who all flinched at his gaze. "The only I reason I see for 'Twilight' to murder this mare is to discredit herself."

He spun around to the judge again. "I rest my case."

The judge nodded, and on his word the jury trotted out to discuss the fate of Twilight. Twilight herself was returned to her cell via teleportation, only to be jolted back an hour later as the jury wandered back in. Celestia was still in her spot, her face the same as it had been for the past while.

"Have you reached a verdict?" the judge asked like he had said it over a thousand times.

"We have, your honour." One of the jurors repied. "We find the defendant guilty of all charges."

WHAT?! WHAT?! WHAT?! Twilight's mouth hung open, her breathing halted in shock.

"Are you sure?"

"We are."

"Very well then." The judge turned to face the princess of the night. "Your majesty?"

Luna lifted herself to her hooves, took in a deep breath and "Twilight Sparkle, on account of murder, you are hereby sentanced to death, 12 noon tomorrow." Her horn glowed and Twilight found herself back in her cell, landing on the hard cobblestone floor for what seemed like the hundreth time. Greylance was looking through the barred window on the door.

"I guess you lost, huh." He sounded... sad? Twilight couldn't respond, her gaze falling to the ground. "I see."

After a pregnant silence, "In case you're wondering why Luna didn't just teleport you into the trial room, it was to make sure you weren't doing something embarassing. Just thought you'd like to know."

"Thanks..." Twilight said, deflated.

"No worries... I guess." He rubbed his neck awkwardly. "I guess I gotta tell the Captain."

"No need." Shining sternly said, prompting a rapid salute from the young guardspony. "At ease, corporal."

He looked through the door window. "Look, I know you think I hate you for what you did, but, first of all, you're my sister and I'll always love you." Twilight turned her head and saw him smiling, sad blue eyes accompanying it. "And secondly, I don't think you did it."

"You're the first..." She said.

"No, I had a talk with Cadence. She knows you. I know you." The slider on the door grinded, and he entered and gripped his sister in a tight hug. "You would never kill anypony."

Twilight wrapped her forelegs around him. "I know I didn't kill anypony."

Shining lowered his head. "I'm not sure if this'll help any, but Celestia says she's got something to tell you tomorrow." he whispered. "I dunno what she means, but it's the Princess, so it has to be important."

Twilight said nothing, but nodded slowly.

"I can't stop this... and I know Celestia... she won't let this pass."

Twilight looked at her brother. "If she has the power, why is she letting it happen?" she said in a broken voice.

"I... I don't know. But I trust her, and I trust you." He squeezed her tighter. "You'll come out of this alive."

They sat there for what seemed like forever, not wanting to present the possibility that she wouldn't come out alive. Greylance coughed.

"Look, sorry to interrupt you, sir, but time's up. It has been for a few minutes."

Shining reliquished his grip on Twilight, holding her shoulders and looking into her face. "Thank you, corporal."

"I thought you'd like to spend some time with your sister, y'know?" He chuckled. "Wish I had a sister..."

The captain lifted himself from the ground. "Remember, BBBFFs." He sniffed, closing his eyes. "I just hope somepony will stop all of this."

"Me too..." Twilight murmured, barely getting the words out.

"Me three." Greylance added, smiling sadly.

With that, and final and tearful goodbyes, the guardsponies left Twilight in her cell, where she once again fell into a restless, dreamless sleep.