• Published 9th Mar 2016
  • 3,116 Views, 277 Comments

No spell for that - Jeweled Pen



Twilight meets a young stalli... mare at her old school, with a problem that even her great magic can't fix. Despite her desire to give aid, there are some things even a princess can't fix. After all, when born in the wrong body, how can you fix it?

  • ...
70
 277
 3,116

Chapter 9: The date

Drifting trotted back and forth in front of the theater, her heart pounding as she waited. Finally saturday was here which meant MOVIE! Awesome movie! With a cute mare who was interested in HER of all ponies.

Eeeee, she felt great. She must have been looking really good the last week or so to get to that point. She glanced back at her dress, a soft, gentle sky blue with a ruby red hem. It was an old one that she'd had since before she knew Rarity, but the mare had been happy to fix all of her dresses for only a hoofful of bits.

Well, she hadn't, but Sassy had been willing to. When Drifting had gone to the boutique to explain the situation, the older mare had admitted that Rarity wouldn't be around for a few more weeks. However, she was more than capable of fixing the damaged dresses and molding the others.

Drifting now had over half a dozen dresses to choose from, more than she ever thought she'd have access to. Not only that, but she had managed to set up an appointment for next week. Albeit, it was a fairly late one set for after class, but it would be nice. If the pony was even half as awesome as the princess, then it would be awesome.

Now, however, she was waiting and waiting, glancing towards the theater and hoping Branding would show up soon.

And dreading the mare wouldn't show. She couldn't help but imagine this was all a horrible prank, designed to humiliate her after she came here. It wouldn't be the first, or even worst, prank that had been played on her.

She kept pacing back and forth, looking towards the clock. Five minutes until the movie was set to start. She swore the ticket pony was watching her, judging her. Did he know? Had he seen this happen before, dateless ponies wandering outside, waiting for a chance at romance that'd never come? Judging her? Shaming her? Making her feel as if--

“Sorry I'm late!” Branding said as she trotted up, making the other mare jump.

“W-what? Late? Errr, r-right. I uhhh, I barely noticed. Eh heh... heh.”

“Did you get the tickets?” the other mare asked.

“W-what? Oh, ummm... no. I... wasn't sure if...” She blushed.

“It's fine, I asked you out. I'll pay,” she said with a smile, before trotting to the window. Drifting trotted behind her, following the other mare into the building and letting out a sigh of relief.

It hadn't all been an attempt to humiliate and shame her. Yes! “So, uhh, what happened?”

“Oh, I got caught up with a friend, Rosewing. She just started dating this jerk, you know Topazhoof?”

“I'm not familiar with him...”

“Well, he's a total jerk, but she doesn't see it at all. He keeps flaking out on their dates. You should have a talk with him.”

“W-what? Why me? I don't even know him,” Drifting said softly.

“Well, you're both guys, I figured you'd know better what to say.”

The unicorn sighed. “I'm a mare...”

“Well, yeah. But I mean since you're really a stallion. Besides, they don't go to our school so you could put on some normal clothes and he'd never know. We should all go on a double date sometime.”

Drifting blinked a few more times, looking away. “Y-yeah. Double date,” she mumbled. “I'd... still prefer to be in a dress for that.”

“Ehhh, whatever you like. Come on,” she said before dragging him along into the theater and making their way to some seats near the back. They sat down and soon the commercials started.

Drifting glanced over, a little worried. She wished she had any idea what to do, she'd never been on a date before and now she was certain she was messing something up. Wasn't popcorn supposed to be involved? Or was it because they were both girls there was no popcorn? She didn't mind if there wasn't, she didn't need the empty calories. But she wished she knew if there was or wasn't supposed to be. Was SHE supposed to get the popcorn? What if she'd already screwed up and ruined things? Was she supposed to buy the tickets? She thought the pony who asked out was supposed to. But then she'd also heard it was the stallion's job to get the tickets. But she wasn't a stallion, but Branding kept calling her one.

A small knot of worry started to fill her stomach. “Branding?”

“Hmmm?” the mare asked, glancing over.

“I uhhh... I've never... done this before. Am I doing everything... right?”

Branding cocked an eye before chuckling and reaching out, patting her head. “Don't worry, you're just fine. You're being a cute little coltfriend, no need to worry.”

“Marefriend.”

“Sure. Now come on, just relax and enjoy the movie.”

Drifting sighed and glanced ahead towards the movie. After about twenty minutes, she came to a horrible, horrible realization.

She was so. Incredibly. Bored. The movie wasn't bad, she guessed. It was just 'artistic'. And, unfortunately, she didn't get it in the slightest. There weren't any translations so she had no idea what was going on. It was all supposed to be about 'subtext', she imagined. She had no idea how to read them. She couldn't even pick up on the signals SHE was giving half the time, how could she possibly pick up on the signals that others were giving? So instead she focused on something that made her happy.

Watching the pretty mare on the screen and hoping one day she could be that pretty and classy, giving a soft sigh. She folded her hooves neatly in her lap and gave a content little murmur, imagining herself being on the screen, dancing and singing, so graceful and majestic.

Then Branding yawned and stretched a little.

Drifting froze, her heart pounding in her chest as Branding's hooves went up, up, UP! 'Oh gosh she's going to make a move what do I do? Do I accept it? Do I nestle in closer? Do I play hard to get? Do I snuggle? What do I do what do I do what do I do?!!'

The legs came back down, back into Branding's lap. The panic evaporated, soon molding into disappointment.

'She didn't make a move? Does that mean she's not interested? Did I do something wrong? Does she want me to make a move? No, that'd be stupid. She invited me, that means she's supposed to make the move to snuggle, right? But she sometimes calls me a stallion, does that mean I'm supposed to do it? What if I put my head on her shoulder? She might freak out and slap me! But what if she WANTS me to put my head on her shoulder? Ohhhh, I wish I could know what she's thinking!'

'I swear I've seen that background pony in something else, ugh, what was it? A commercial? Maybe another movie? Dang it, this is going to drive me nuts,' Branding thought to herself.

'She looks annoyed, am I doing everything wrong?' Drifting thought to herself. 'I need a book on this! Why didn't I get a book on this? I should have sent a letter to the princess! She's a super genius, she probably knows everything about dating ponies! Oh, or Rarity, I bet she'd be totally perfect at this dating thing. I bet she's never even met a stallion who didn't fall head over hooves in love with her in a moment. I bet even a prince would love her in a few seconds! Gahhhhh, why does this have to be so hard?' Her eyes widened. 'What if I didn't brush my teeth? Oh, wait, no, I did. I think. What if it didn't hold? What if my hair is out of line, what if--'

“Are you okay? You're breathing really heavily,” Branding said with a cocked eye.

“Y-yeah, just not feeling too well. I uhhh... I need to go use the little mare's room. I-I'll be right back,” Drifting said before getting to her hooves and trotting away as fast as she could.

“Uhhhh... okay? Have-- wait, did you say...?” Branding blinked and got to her hooves, trotting after her.

------

Drifting walked into the mare's bathroom, locked the door and moved to the small mirror, staring into it. “Deep breaths, deep breaths. Okay, you're doing okay. You're fine. You're on a date, and everything is going smoothly. Smooth as silk.” She put a hoof to her chest and breathed deeply as she examined her make up. “Yes, it's all good. You're a pretty little mare and she asked YOU out. She knows what you are, she's okay with it. She probably has more experience with this kind of thing, anyway, it--”

There was a knock on the door. “Drifting?”

The unicorn blinked, then walked to it, slowly opening it. “Branding? What's wrong?”

“What are you doing?” she hissed at him.

“Using the bathroom,” Drifting said, looking very confused. “Did you need to, too?”

“It's... that... y-you're in the mare's bathroom,” Branding whispered back, looking around frantically. “You can't do that.”

“Ummm... but... I'm a mare.”

“No, you're a stallion. Just because you put on a dress like that and... g-get out of there before you get us in trouble.”

“W-what?”

“Get out of there, it's weird. Just use the stallion's bathroom.” Branding gestured quickly towards the other room.

Drifting just stared, her mouth falling open. She closed her eyes for a few moments, before closing the door and locking it.

There was a bit more heavy knocking on the door, but Drifting just turned to look at the mirror. She took a slow, deep breath and stared at herself. “It's... only the first date. We can... no, we can't.” She sighed and slowly opened the door again.

Branding looked relieved. “Thank heavens. Now come out before--”

“Branding, what do you think I am?”

“I'm... sorry?”

Drifting stepped out of the room and into the hallway with her. Thankfully, there was a bit of privacy for now as none of the movies had let out. “What do you think I am?”

“A unicorn, obviously.”

“No. I mean... I am a mare, you know this. Don't you? You've... seen me and...”

“A fancy dress doesn't make you a mare,” Branding said with a sigh, before smiling. “Listen, is that what this is about? I'm cool with your little fetish, really. If you like to play dress up and act girly, that's fine. But you can't--”

“That's not it!” Drifting shrieked, before covering her mouth and blushing. She shook her head. “I'm not a... I don't... I am a mare.”

“But--”

“I was born in the wrong body, that's all! And I fully intend to fix it!”

“Fix... it? Magic can't... ew. You can't just change bodies.”

“I fully intend to change mine. To fix what I am, to make myself a girl. Fully. I'm not just... a stallion in a dress. I'm a mare in a dress who just isn't... right yet.”

“That doesn't even make any sense. You're a guy, you're obviously a guy, I mean... look at you. You don't even really... I mean, it's obvious you're a stallion. You can't just fix that. Come on, I said I was fine with it, so it's fine. Let's go see the movies.”

“Yes, you can and I intend to do... everything I can,” Drifting said before lowering her eyes. “And I... I think I should go home.”

“W-what?”

“I'm a mare and... you see me as a stallion in a dress. I can't... I can't do that. I won't be that. I think... I think this is a bad idea. Was a bad idea. Let's just... call this off. We shouldn't--” Drifting yelped and recoiled when she was slapped, a hoof moving up to her cheek. “Y-you can't... y-you hit me!”

“You ARE a stallion in a dress,” Branding snapped, glaring at her. “What the buck is wrong with you? You can't just... you're the weirdo!”

Drifting squeaked and took another step back. “R-right, I'm sorry, I-I'm the weirdo, I'm the freak, I-I just don't think we should... b-be... I should go. I-I'm sorry it didn't work out, I just--” She tried to take a step past the mare, but Branding moved to block her way.

“Why? I just want to know why? I put up with your little fetish. Who else would?”

Drifting paused before taking a deep breath. “It's NOT a fetish. It's not just going to go away. It's who I am, it's WHAT I am. To you it might seem weird, but to me it's the very core of my being. I cannot, will not just hide it away. And... and...” She closed her eyes, before opening them and glaring right back. “And I deserve somepony who does more than 'puts up' with me. I deserve someone who loves me, cares about me and sees me for what I really am.”

Branding took a step back, allowing Drifting to pass by. She quickly took the opening, trotting towards the exit, her head lowering slightly.

She couldn't believe it, her first date was an absolute disaster. It--

“You're just... just a freak,” Branding snapped. Drifting turned in time to see the other mare's horn alight, before she sent the flames searing at her.

She let out a shriek, covering her face, but she wasn't burned. After a few moments the flames dissipated. She slowly opened her eyes, her entire body shaking as she tried to stop her heart from hammering. Of course, the other mare wouldn't have killed or really attacked her. Not over something like this. It wasn't as if--

She then noticed her body felt lighter. She looked down at herself and saw the ash in her fur, her dress gone. Her eyes widened before she looked to Branding, then herself. “You... why would...”

“See? You're just a stallion, anypony can see. Now knock off the... knock off the...” She stopped and stared as the tears started to go down Drifting's face. She then looked down at the pile of ash. “O-oh. Drifting, I'm sorry, I just over reacted. I was--”

Drifting didn't listen. She turned and galloped away, the tears flowing down her face. She made it outside before her horn glowed, disappearing with a pop and a bird appearing in her place. The transformation wouldn't last long, but it didn't need to.

She flew through the sky, towards the castle. All she wanted to do was crawl into her bed and cry until she couldn't cry anymore.

Author's Note:

Here it is, the next chapter! Honestly, I kind of worried I overdid Branding a little much in this chapter. I never expected things to really go well between them, but I expected it to last longer. I'm sure we've all met that person who 'says' they understand, but then likes to make little digs, comments, etc, that shows they don't even while they put up that smiling face and pretend. I figured I'd have Drifting endure it longer, let it eat at her for a while.

But then I thought about who and what Drifting was. She wasn't the kind of mare to just... take things like that. She will to an extent, but she was willing to fight her parents and the school, even the princess to be this. As much as she wanted to date, she wasn't so desperate that she'd give it up for a date. She is also smart enough to realize and end something before it gets to the point where she knows it'll hurt. Wish I was that smart.

However, also extremely neurotic on dates. But yeah, I was a little worried I had Branding react a little too harshly over being... semi-dumped here, so had to show it to a friend to make sure it wasn't too bad. Then I spent the next night dealing with a crazy lady at work who flipped out and was trying to break down doors to get to her ex, so yeah. Sometimes people react... poorly. Especially in the heat of the moment. Hope none of you guys have had to deal with someone who acted like that, but for those who have, I am so sorry for you and I hope you managed to escape that person. It's not easy, but no one deserves to be treated like that.

So, next chapter should be going up soon(-ish?). It will be... the therapy session! I've had a few questions asked(one in particular asked quite a few times) about Drifting, so it'll be a good chance to exposition a bit and explain what led to this point, how she found out and a bit more about how she feels now.