• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 5,397 Views, 592 Comments

Crime Pays - chillbook1



Twilight Sparkle, master thief and adrenaline junkie, leads the Mythos Crew in search of the next big score.

  • ...
37
 592
 5,397

The Spider To The Fly

“Oh, Mythos! I have something for you!”

“Oh boy. That’s never a good tone.”

“Hush, boy. I finally found you some work!”

“Really? That’s great, actually.”

I’m a control freak. I have no issue admitting it. I just preferred to have the situation under control. I didn’t like following directions. I felt like I was meant to be dishing out the orders, not taking them. As such, I wasn’t ecstatic when Rarity came out with a job. That was a task I delegated to Spike.

“What’s the job?” I asked. “More importantly, what’s the pay?”

“I have a bit of business to attend to, and my target is a bit of a one-percenter,” explained Rarity. “When he’s good and dead, you can have your pick of the place. Trust me, I’ve looked the location over, and there is quite a bit of gold and silver laying around. Plus, the old man has gone a bit round the bend and doesn’t trust the bank anymore.”

“So he keeps his money in his mattress?” asked Dash. Rarity giggled.

“It’s a bit more than a mattress, but you have the right idea. This job is perfect! Money for you, money for me, and this is an easy enough mark that I can finally take my sister out to see her first kill!”

We had been at Rarity’s for four days at that point, and her sister had popped up four times. Each time she did, she excitedly chattered, mostly about nothing and mostly to Scootaloo, until Rarity sent her on an errand of some sort. I got a chance to talk to her, and she told me that Rarity was training her to be an assassin as well. Apparently, it was a family business. At the moment, she was out on some sort of job, while my Crew and I tried to become acquainted with this new environment. Until a few minutes ago, Rarity was gone as well. I tried to look happy to see her, but I doubt I managed well.

“So, what’s the plan?” I asked. Saying that to anyone but Spike made me want to vomit, but we needed the money.

“Well, Sweetie and I have to deal with the gentleman, preferably before you lot have your fun,” explained Rarity, looking at me with an almost devious glint in her eyes. “Although, if you like, one of you can come along with us, to see if there’s anything you can learn from the man before… You know.” She clutched her throat and hung her head limp.

“I’ll go,” volunteered Dash, before I could speak. Rarity smiled as politely as she could, and it likely fooled Dash. I saw how fake it was, though.

“Mind you, this one… It won’t be as clean as some of my others,” said Rarity. “My client is an ex-girlfriend, and she wants him to suffer. It is not for those with a weak stomach.”

“I’ll do it,” I said. “Dash doesn’t know how to hold an interrogation, anyway.” I glanced at Dash, hoping my expression alone would be enough to make her understand. She didn’t argue, which was good.

“Are you sure you’ll be able to handle it, darling?” asked Rarity, that phony sweetness back in her voice. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think she actually was concerned. “It really won’t be pretty, I assure you. Ordinarily, I don’t do it this way because of the blood.” She retched. “Horribly disgusting. Can’t stand the sight of it. But, as they say, the customer is always right.”

“She’ll be fine, Widow,” said Spike. “In the meantime, Dash and I need to talk to a guy about equipment. We hardly have any guns, let alone anything I need for hacking or surveillance.”

“What about me?” I’d forgotten that Scootaloo was there with us. “What should I do?”

“Sit tight here and stay out of trouble,” said Dash. “The last thing I need is for you to get grabbed by the cartel for their virgin sacrifices or whatever the hell they do.”

“Who said I was a virgin?” asked the girl, though I suspected mostly to mess with Dash.

“Me.” She glared at her little sister with enough fury to make even me flinch. “Just try not to fuck up Widow’s crib, okay?”

“The fuck am I supposed to do when you guys are out all day?” groaned Scootaloo. Dash took a step towards the girl, likely to punch her in the chest, when Rarity grabbed her shoulder gently.

“While I agree that a lady really has no business swearing,” said Rarity. “I can understand Scootaloo’s frustration. Perhaps we can reach a compromise? There’s an arcade about a block away, and I have more quarters than I know what to do with. I’m sure that, if you were to assure Rainbow that you’ll be right there and back…”

“Right hand, left hand, both feet to God,” swore Scootaloo. “Right there and back.”

“Hm… I guess it’s alright. Just… Be safe, okay?” said Dash. Scootaloo nodded.

“I assure you, Rainbow, she will be perfectly fine. Appleloosa may be a bit drab, but that comes with the added benefit of it being fairly safe,” promised Rarity. “You really needn’t worry. Though, I hope you don’t mind, I’d like to have a word with her about her language. You too, frankly. A proper lady should never swear. It’s unbecoming.”

I was suddenly gripped with a deep desire to cuss like a sailor.

“She’ll reign it in,” said Dash. “And I’ll try my best. Spike, when do we leave?”

“Widow?” asked Spike. “What do you think?”

“Well, you two can head out whenever you see fit,” said Rarity. “Medusa and I will have to wait for Sweetie Belle to get back from her errands. Who knows when that will be. Knowing Sweetie, she probably dozed off when she should be…” It was then, when she started to talk about her sister, that I saw her facade slip for a moment. She didn’t have the look of a concerned sister. She looked more like an irritated drill sergeant.

“Should be…?” Spike gestured for her to finish, and she shook her head as if she hadn’t realized that she stopped speaking.

“Working, sorry. Lost myself in thought for a moment.” And, just like that, it was back. Even without her exquisite piece of art, she always wore a mask. “That girl is a clever one, if a bit easily distracted. I suppose I shouldn’t blame her. She gets it from me.”

“You should call her,” said Spike, gathering his things. “Knowing the type of work you sent her on, she could need your help.”

“I suppose you’re right. Let’s pray she hasn’t turned her phone to silent.” Rarity pulled out a phone, a burner, dialed a number and then put it to her ear. She was quiet for a moment, then said, “‘Will you walk into my parlour?’ said the Spider to the Fly. Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy.” Another stretch of silence, followed by Rarity rolling her eyes. “Your wording is imperfect, darling. It’s technically ‘ne’er’, not ‘never’.” She chuckled slightly. “Yes, I suppose I am being a perfectionist. When can we expect you home? We have work to do. What? How…? Darling, I don’t have time to… No, I don’t suppose you can just walk. Hm… Spikey will be there to pick you up. Behave yourself, little lady. I’ll see you tonight. And bidding you good evening now, I’ll call another day.”

She hung up her phone and let out a dull, quiet scream through her clenched jaw. Spike paused, as if he knew what that meant. I had to remind myself that he probably did.

“Spikey, darling,” said Rarity, her voice dripping with false sugary sweetness. “Would you like to do Mama a teeny-weeny, itty-bitty, microscopic, miniscule favor?”

“Widow, darling.” Spike matched Rarity’s tone. “Would you like to do Spikey a teeny-weeny, itty-bitty, microscopic favor and never call yourself ‘Mama’ ever again?” Rarity frowned.

“I don’t recall hearing you complain. In fact, once upon a time, I believe you actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Or have you forgotten?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll pick up Sweetie Belle, okay?!” I spared Spike a glance. It seemed that he was blushing, though he would deny that until the day he died.

“And Medusa?” Rarity grinned sheepishly. “You’re going to have to fill in for Sweetie, if you don’t mind terribly.”

I was a bit uneasy, but there wasn’t much I could say. We really needed money, and this was an opportunity I couldn’t afford to pass up. Still… Being completely alone with Rarity made me nervous. I wasn’t sure what she would be like away from Spike, or while on the job. She could be dangerous.

I agreed, deciding that I’d keep my guard up at all times.


Apparently, Sweetie Belle had been sent out into the desert with her dog, which she had been raising for some three years. Sweetie was supposed to kill the dog using nothing but a dull knife. The point of this was to remove some of the shock and horror that comes with killing. She went to slit the dog’s throat when it bit her and ran off. She chased it and tackled it down a little dune, twisting her ankle in the process. She managed to kill and bury the dog, but she wouldn’t be able to walk home. Spike would have to go pick her up and bring her back. That meant Rarity needed me to play camerawoman.

The house was very nice. I didn’t get much time to look at it, Rarity moved quickly, but I easily surmised that the owner had certain, opulent tastes. When we arrived at the door, I reached into my pocket for my lockpicking kit, but Rarity stopped me with a wave. She produced a spare key from her pocket, gave me a wink, and opened the door. We walked in, closed the door behind us, and slipped on our masks.

I don’t think I can overstate how beautiful I found Rarity’s mask. She didn’t seem to notice how I stared at it as we moved through the house. Half-masks were normally so tacky and generic. Most folks were content with a skull pattern, which was horribly boring. Widow was beginning to change my perspective.

“Where’d you get the key?” I asked as she led me up a flight of stairs.

“I’ve been following this one for quite some time. I swiped his key for a few, made a mold out of clay,” she explained. “I returned the key and made a copy.”

“Designer, assassin, and a pickpocket? Is there anything you don’t do?”

“Fail.”

I’m certain that she meant it as a joke. She even seemed to smile, from what I could see of her face. But, coupled with the spider mouth, she just looked ready to leap onto me and rip out my throat.

We eventually reached a bedroom, at which point I grabbed my revolver in my right hand, then gestured for her to open the door. She did so, then we stepped in. I immediately began appraising the stuff inside the room. Paintings, statuettes of jade and ivory, jewelry. Some decent stuff. The man we were after was asleep in his bed, calm and peaceful.

I stopped in front of his bed and pressed my revolver against his forehead.

“What’s his name?” I asked.

“Fancy Pants,” said Rarity. She turned for the door. “Keep him quiet, I have to go set up downstairs.” She vanished through the door, leaving me with my target.

I slapped Fancy gently, just enough to stir him from his slumber. As soon as he opened his eyes, I clapped my hand over his mouth.

“Scream and I kill you,” I whispered. “Your vault. Where is it and what’s the combination?” I moved my hand, making sure to keep my gun firmly against his head.

“It’s d-downstairs,” he whimpered. “29510. Please don’t hurt me.”

“I won’t, just answer my questions. What else? What else do you have hidden around here?” I asked. “Anything of value? And please, do not lie to me. I’ll know.”

“B-box of jewelry in the basement.” He sounded honest, which was to be expected. When a woman with a gun to your head asks you a question, you don’t tend to lie. “And a chess set. Gold and platinum pieces. Very valuable.”

“Thank you for your consideration,” I said, grinning behind my mask. That chess set would not be added to the savings account. I’d be keeping that for myself.

“Oh, Ms. Medusa! Would you kindly invite our guest downstairs?”

“Get up, friend.” I grabbed Fancy by the arm and dragged him out of bed. I led him at gunpoint out of the room and down the stairs to the basement. The place was sparse, with the tall safe in the corner being the main attraction. Rarity had laid a sheet of plastic onto the ground in the middle of the floor, no doubt for the sake of clean up.

“What’s all this?” asked Fancy, absolutely terrified. “Who are you?”

“On your knees,” said Rarity. Her voice was different. A bit of her elegance was gone, replaced with what sounded like primal desire. Anticipation.

“What do you need of me?” I asked. She tossed me a camcorder.

“Record.”

And, with that, she got to work. She forced Fancy to his knees and rammed her foot into his face. I barely had the camera on when she went to work with her knife. Her work was sporadic, some slashes calm and maticulate, while others were feral and vicious. She shouted at him, barely heard over Fancy’s anguished screams. For someone who doesn’t like blood, she spilled a lot of it there. She looked at me, a savage look in her eyes. She seemed less an assassin and more a carnivore.

“Die! Die! Die! Die! Die! Die!” she shouted, stabbing her knife wildly into Fancy’s throat. Her frenzy startled me just a bit. I was gonna step forward to tell her to calm down when she shot me that look. The look was amazingly intimidating. She froze my blood with a single glance. It was a look that screamed “cross me and you’re next”.

I feel no shame in saying that I was scared. Not very scared, not enough to do anything. But, for that single moment, Rarity scared me.

“I think he’s done,” I said, watching in disgusted awe as she continued to stab Pants’ corpse. I killed the recording, then set the camera down onto the floor. Rarity dropped her knife, a visible sheen of sweat clinging to her forehead.

“Ugh. Horribly dreadful work,” sighed Rarity. She pulled her mask off, involuntarily licking her lips. “I don’t typically do this, as I’ve said. Poison is normally what I go with.”

“What do you think about when you work?” I asked. Rarity looked confused. “You seemed pretty passionate. What are you thinking about?” Rarity sighed.

“Spike.” Now it was my turn to be confused. “Not like that, obviously. I just think about what I would do to anyone who would dare hurt him.” Her gaze lingered on me for a minute. “Anyone who dared tried to take him from me.”

I knew from the get-go that my living situation with Rarity wouldn’t be permanent. It was only then did I realize that I would need to leave very quickly. I didn’t think Rarity would hurt me, not unless I gave her a reason. Still, the two of us would be very volatile together. I needed to start making my way out of the music shop.

Which meant I needed help from Dash.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait, Overwatch has stolen all of my attention. Back to working on this with my full focus though.

Tell me what you think of this chapter!