• Published 26th Mar 2016
  • 1,176 Views, 50 Comments

King of the North - Sanguine Eyes



The North is a very old nation. Older than Equestria. An origin drenched in blood, but it has come to Equestria offering a hand of kinship. However, Celestia's personal experience with the wolves of the North may not give the two nations a chance.

  • ...
11
 50
 1,176

Chapter 3: Old conflicts

The hulking form slashed low with a wide swing and the prey barely whipped out of reach. His keen eye could not be deceived despite his target being so fast and so very skilled in evasion. He had not spent all those years on the hunt and on the warpath for nothing, even if this cat and mouse game was annoying he was patient enough to see it to the end. His claws twitched as his eye darted back and forth reading the motions before he whipped about and snatched the pup up by the scruff.

"WHAAAAA!... No! I don't wanna!!" Rosie squirmed and flailed angrily despite her father's iron like grip. She thought about trying to teleport, but that could potentially cause real harm to herself and her father.

He grumbled and turned about, dragging her along. "I don't care... you are going back to study... The King himself requested it, and you know how much Oracle will be grumpy if you don't listen to her dad."

The little pup grumbled as her heels slid across the cold stone floors, her father's grip pulling her scruff. The temple that served as their home was the home of all the Druids. In the Sanguine tree dominating the northern half of the capital, it had been grown to increase the life giving energies in the north to keep the cold from drowning everything out. The life energies and magic flowing off the ancient tree was a perfect place for any young Druid to practice their art, hence why the temple had been crafted there. A Druid could only hide within the energies of another living being, just as the Oracles could only hide in the light, and the Shamans could only hide in the shadows. This was why the pup always managed to escape, the giant blood red tree was such a powerful source of living energy that even inexperienced Druids could slip easily feel and manipulate it.

Despite it being the biggest source of his troubles with his daughter, the magic filled temple was the best place for her to study. All Susi temples were well suited for the power of those who trained there, he just wished that it could be turned off every once and a while, or at the very least they had taught his daughter all of the vanishing and hiding stuff AFTER she had grown up.

He grumbled and set her down in a chair in the room as she huffed and grumbled. Her books and texts were still out and open to the necessary pages. The moment the clawed grip left her scruff she felt like coiled spring, ready to blast off and go adventuring once more. But the same claws landed atop her head, he wasn't going to let her go anywhere. Her grumbles increased until a presence was felt which made her shrink back and stick to her seat.

From the Shrine a pair of pure focused green tinged white eyes opened calmly set with a soft black pupil like the gem in the center of a master crafted ring. The eyes glanced down accompanied with a smile. "Rose... my precious little Rosie... why do you always give your father so much trouble?" The soft voice was calm and kind. The sort of voice one would expect to hear in a library. Her hand calmly touched Rosie's ears caressing her in a calm pet.

"But, I don't wanna replace you... You are the head Druid, you are more powerful than Shaman himself, and you're not even a combatant, like him. You can't just stop being Druid." She half mumbled the complaints, not daring to look up at her infinitely more powerful mother.

The wolfess smiled and gave Rosie's nose a quick poke. "I can, and I will. I may be the most powerful magical Susi in the North that we know of, but I have other ambitions in life, such as you. Now... " She gracefully and slowly almost as if she was a spiritual entity pointed with a finger at the open book carefully set at the ground. "Study!"

Rosie grumbled and sat down peering over the book as her mother looked back up to her father. An extended hand commanded magic with a calmness and guided the skull mask from his belt to rest over Rose's head. She smiled and slid it over her face reading through the single eye hole as her mother Druid, took the One Eye'd Skull's hand and stepped back. Teleporting them a short distance and throwing a dampening field up so their daughter could not listen in. "You know she keeps running off because you turn it into a game. You have to be a little more stern with her or she will see everything as a game."

He grumbled. "I know, I just..." He looked over his hands and shook his head. "My hands are meant for war, trained to be skilled in violence. I don't want to hurt something so precious to me."

She snuggled up into his neck hugging onto him. "I know... But you need to remember that such power comes in levels, you don't have to be soft, just make sure our daughter takes the world seriously..." She paused and her jaw tightened. It took a moment for him to notice, then slowly she sighed and spoke. "While you were gone... the first of the generals showed up. And you know who is here, it's best you go see him before your brother shows up as well. Still no response from the South or the East."

The big Wolf's eyes lit up in concern. "It is good to hear my brother is returning, but Why did the cursed blood have to get here first?"

A low growl came from her throat and the Skull flinched. "He was chosen by our king, it is not your judgement that determines his worth. We will respect the wisdom of our king, no matter the actions of the Guardian." The Druid gave a slow wave and the magical field around her husband contracted as it teleported him to the barracks . She gave a sigh and slowly she sank into her pillow, keeping a soft tether on the aura of her daughter to keep her from wandering off. But finally, her eyes closed taking her mind back into the ethereal realm, back to the infinite storm.

The magic cleared still leaving the tingling feeling in his scarred fingertips. However, the first thing he noticed with his single eye was the heavy scar across the other wolf's back. He knew that scar well. The four long painful marks of the flaming claws that had carved the younger general's flesh from shoulder to hip. The scar almost covered by a shield and sword, both made from ironwood and enchanted to the point that they were both more durable than even the most powerful of northern steel. "Hello Dagfinn, I did not expect for you to answer the call so quickly." He grumbled the words refusing to use the general's chosen name.

The other Susi turned calmly and two eyes met one. A calm and happy voice sounded out. "I will always answer the call, The King of Wolves is the King of Wolves after all... None of the Susi can refuse. It would be a sin against our blood." Despite the tension in the room the younger wolf smiled happily and wore a calm and relaxed stance.

Skull hated his voice, it was the same voice in every last scenario, he was unshakable, it was the same even when he lay bleeding at the king's feet looking up with the same calm smile, barely able to hold the blade that he had just yanked from another Susi's chest. Though the young cursed blood had a record and accomplishments that would make any Susi warrior look on in pride.

But the scar across his fellow general's back was always a constant reminder of how much He hated the smaller wolf, and how much more His brother hated him. For once he was thankful that Viha was not present, he did not choose the title of the King's Wrath for no reason. "You are correct Dagfinn... we ALL follow the call, even my brother. And I know we are sworn to treat you with the respect and honor demanded by the title granted to you by our king, but you also know why he took up the outpost three hundred miles from yours. Let us be done quickly, I will hold my oath, but you know as well as I, it is unwise to test the temperament of Kuninkaan Viha..."

The 'Guardian' Stood tall. "I will not dishonor the trust Susien Kuningas has placed in me, nor will I act foolishly. Your brother should be able to contain himself, but as always, I understand. I will take up the rest of house Lempo and we will meet you in the iron forest..." The Cursed Blood general gave a solid bow and smiled. His eyes twitched slightly before he chuckled. "Your little one escaped again... I smell her magic nearby, she is getting very good."

The One Eye'd Skull let out a muffled curse as he dismissed the Guardian with a wave of his hand and followed his nose to try and locate his daughter, wondering how she got away from her mother.


"My mother?.....um....th...that is kinda..."

Cadence instantly shot a hoof up apologetically. "I am so sorry, I was just curious I did not mean to drag any bad memories up. I just want to learn as much as possible about your culture and all of you in general. It's just fascinating, I do hope I didn't offend."

"Oh, oh! its not like that. She is just not spoken of... for.. um... other reasons. Namely because I have not met her, she was... well... very different." Cadence looked at the pure white wolf struggling to fit into the pony sized chair. They had been talking for hours, but there was still so much she could learn, from one princess to another. She had already learned so much just by spending time with the young Susi.

The Oracle tried a smile to comfort the pony, but remembered how much Susi teeth seemed to scare ponies and she tried to keep the smile small. "Suffice to say, my mother wasn't a Susi, at least so I am told. It's kinda a legend in the north, flattering and kinda aggravating. But yes, my father by blood and heritage really is the king of the North. We have many traditions that could be misleading but indeed I am of direct blood to my father. My mother is just... um... a special case."

Cadence nodded relaxing in her chair as the ponies worked her hair and struggled with the Oracle's hair, but she seemed ok with it. Feeling another question, Cadence nibbled at her lip and tried her luck. "I see... fascinating. Now, this one might be a sensitive case as well but I feel kinda awkward not knowing. Why does your father call you 'Oracle'?... Oracle sounds like a title."

She smile calmly even chuckled a little, looking over at the Crystal ponies who carefully tended to her long soft silky hair. "It is a title, by tradition ALL members of the magical castes of the north have three names, their given name, their chosen name, and their clan name. This tradition has an extra level carried by those closest to my father, his generals especially. Though the traditional spots of the king's personal Shaman, Druid, and Oracle are known mostly by their title as their main name. Which in this case is also my chosen name. Only my father and a select few know my real name. It was once believed that if you knew a magic user's name you could use the power of his or her name to enslave him or her to your will. However, my father dispelled that myth quickly. He has some other reason for the tradition, and though its a little odd, I quite enjoy the title."

Cadence blinked, the wolves were a bit odd but at least it was interesting. "I see, I can't imagine what it would be like to not ever meet my own mother. Do you know anything about her?" She looked on with honest concern.

"I ... well I know a lot about her, but it would not make sense even if I were to explain it. Her name, well in Ponish means faith, or to have faith. The stories say that my father fought and killed an exceedingly powerful monster alone, he did not wish to allow his people to be harmed, so he refused to take any of his guards or military with him to face down the beast. But he was badly wounded in the battle. She came to him having seen his love for his people and how greatly he desired to protect them, that he would be willing to sacrifice his own life just to keep them safe. The story goes that she fell in love with him through his selfless dedication and came to him in the night as he slept in the frozen wilderness to heal his wounds. As she healed him, he woke to see her, and for some reason, she fled. He followed and despite her power and ability, she could not escape my father's eyes. When finally, she stopped running, he thanked her for her kindness. When he offered to take her back to his kingdom, she refused but he was determined to repay the debt of to her. The stories get a little unclear seeing they were only put together by second, third, even fourth hand accounts afterwards. Some say that he gave her a child to thank her, some say that he married her, and others say he stuck around more or less because he found her so beautiful. Regardless two years after he returned the infinite storm above the capital halted for ten hours and an infant pup was deposited within the throne room. That of course being me." She chuckled and closed her eyes, clearly enjoying the hair treatments.

Cadence's eyes lit up at the story. She was a sucker for a good love story, despite it being a little hard to follow she quite enjoyed it. "Well, I must say, that is more than I can say for myself and my origins."

Oracle chuckled and waved a hand dismissively. "Nonsense, you are an Alicorn. There are still Susi who think all Alicorn princesses are Goddesses of one type or another."

"Really?" Cadence's eyes widened as her voice sounded out in a fair amount of surprise.

"Oh yes, especially those two sisters, Luna and Celestia. I never bought into it but we have a festival in the winter to honor the moon, and one in the summer to honor the sun. If they learn you exist surely they will make another in the spring to honor the love we all have for one another." She smiled warmly and Cadence happily smiled back. She was a little put off being made out to be a Goddess of some sort in another country but it was not like she could do much about it.

"The North sounds very nice..."

"It is... well.. culturally, but we have a very fair share of problems, and every now and again something terrible and powerful comes along to kill everyone." She sighed and Cadence chuckled a little.

"Yeah, I know what that is like" Cadence let out a nervous laugh.


The scent of blood touched the air, the wolves looked up and the streets respectfully fell quiet and cleared. Lean and heavily scarred, twin axes at his hips and a spear on his back the general of the far north and hero of the Halla garden stepped into the city. Kuninkaan Viha, the One eye'd skull's brother, the king of Berserkers, his eyes were cold and distant as his body seemed tired yet coiled and ready to strike. Though he was a hero in this nation, none praised his arrival. All knew the wolf and all he sacrificed to take his father's place. The greatness of this Susi was simply that he had survived that which no other wolf could have. Behind him strode his warriors of Kaaos. Not known for their patience or politeness the arrival of such Susi meant only that the threat in the iron forest was far greater than usual, or that the king simply had something planned.

"Brother!" The much larger Susi strode up. His mask fitted into place per tradition when the armies met. The two generals clasped hands firmly testing each other's might with a firm muscle bound tug. As per usual Viha lifted firmly but only because he was lighter.

"Good to see you brother... where is he? I brought my Kaaos, please don't tell me he really ordered me down here just to hunt a few annoying Kaas?" The thinner wolf grumpily stood as his soldiers stood firmly behind him, twitching and glaring at their surroundings. All knew that these were his special soldiers. Susi who broke on the battlefield and could not be returned to normal life when their time in the military was over found their place in his ranks due to their mind being reverted to nothing but the savage instinct of war. Berserkers and barbarians, and so to speak Viha was the only who understood the broken mind and had the power enough to tame them.

"We have our orders, it is all I know of his plans, though he is down south with the Equines, I'm not quite sure what he is playing at, but if you can spare the time I have some good mead. Shall we retreat to th...." His eye twitched and his teeth grit, Druid stood in the distance. The look was obvious. Rosie had done something very foolish. "Come brother I have some fathering to do, and I will need the mead after I am done."

He made his way forward but Druid met him halfway. "She's gone, and not hiding playfully, but gone. She was in her room studying, but I left for just a moment to bring her dinner. Every druid in the temple felt it. There was a pulse of power, the Sanguine tree dipped very noticeably in power. I found her travel bags gone, the barrel of Kaar preserves empty... She teleported somewhere. And I do not need the others to tell me where. The amount of power drawn was enough to send her across the sea, she is trying to find Oracle." Druid's teeth made an audible grinding noise as she stressed and throbbed with anger. Rosie was not normally a bad child but she often would make foolish mistakes with good intent. All of the excitement in the north had probably just stirred her up a bit too much.

The Skull growled now wishing he had taken his wife's parenting advice, He could handle her running off and playing, but this was just a bit too much. Their daughter just ran off alone to Equestria.


"The other Generals will be here soon, just be patient." The Cursed blood lined up firmly looking at their hero, Guardian lord of house Lempo. Their rifles slung and ready, He chose to disperse his personal soldiers among the inexperienced to improve their survival chances. An Oracle stood firmly by his side listening to the magic on the wind to relay the progress of the other two generals.

"Guardian! the Skull is moving up sooner than expected, there is some sort of conflicting event that changed his plans. Also, the Kuninkaan Viha is moving into the heart of the forest with his Chaaos. The Skull has ordered his Oracle not to relay some things to us, but he assures me that the Skull is not being malicious. He is just very angry at the moment." The Oracle bowed low as she gave the report. It was never good to see such conflict in the upper ranks, certainly not unheard of but the moral of the soldiers would drop like a rock whenever the generals clashed, mostly because when they clashed, they clashed very violently.

The guardian nodded and gestured for her to fall back in line. "Susien Kuningas has given us orders, and the army of the North is on the move. Let us show the redeemed pride and righteous heart of the Cursed Blood!"

The soldiers looked up to their hero and shouted loudly. "THE TYRANT'S BLOOD BINDS US NO LONGER!!!"

He grinned and shouted firmly. "The king has freed us!"

Again, the soldiers cried out. "ALL HAIL THE WOLF KING!"

Swinging his sword forward he let out the cry. "To battle, we march forward!"

"ONWARD, FOR SUSIEN KUNINGAS, BRAVERY AND HONOR, FOR THE NORTH!"

"We fight on!" He began his charge and flawlessly they responded.

"FEARLESS AND UNBREAKABLE! TO WARRR!"

The Guardian Lord hefted his weapon and stood among the ranks of his own soldiers and the young pups barely old enough to to be present in the ranks as the gates to their fort opened wide. A storm of thunder sounded as a mix of Shaman's lobbing spells, long rifles firing and the Guardian charging abreast with the spears of the melee troops into the heart of the forest against the dozens of Kaar that raged against the protected castle which sprouted from the shores of Lake Seppa.

Even though he was still scared witless, one young Susi stood beside his Shaman master as he stared down the barrel of his long rifle, a bullet between each knuckle as he was taught by the veterans. Jalm was scared spitless but seeing the legend of the Guardian Lord of House Lempo at the side of him and his brothers joining the fray directly flooded his worried heart with hope. He hoped that at the very least, the other legends he met today would be doing as well as he was at the moment. But deep down, he hoped mostly that whatever the king was doing deep in the south was worth risking the unstable sub factions of his people mixing together while he was away.

Author's Note:

Sorry for all the exposition, I have the feeling that originally, I had written most of this stuff specifically to get it all down on paper so I knew the state of the lore and could reference it. It is still important to the story, but I'll admit, it's a little cluttered.