• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 16,825 Views, 923 Comments

Duel Nature - Eakin



After a close call, Twilight learns to defend herself

  • ...
72
 923
 16,825

Penalty Flag

Twilight woke up in a bright white room. The first thing she noticed was that it reeked of bleach and disinfectant. She tried to open her eyes further, but the light sent a splitting pain through one side of her head, and she squeezed them shut again. Now that her head hurt, every other part of her body apparently decided it would be alright for them to join in as well. She groaned miserably as she felt the chorus of aches and pains begin.

“Ah, good morning Twilight!”

Twilight opened her eyes the tiniest sliver that she could and looked towards the voice. As far as she could tell she was being addressed by some kind of fuzzy white blob. An annoyingly cheerful fuzzy white blob.

“How are you feeling this morning?”

Twilight groaned again. “Terrible”

The fuzzy blob chuckled. “Can’t say I’m surprised. You were pretty beat up when they brought you in. I’m Nurse Helping Hoof, by the way, but most patients just call me ‘Nurse’ or ‘Helping Hoof,’ it’s up to you. You’re in the Canterlot Castle Infirmary and before you ask, you’ve been here since they brought you in two nights ago.”

“Two nights ago?” said Twilight.

“Yep! You’ve been asleep for coming up on 36 hours now. Princess Celestia will be so glad to hear you’ve finally woken up. She’s such a sweetheart, wanted to know the minute you came to. Before I go, can I get you anything? Extra pillow?”

“...Painkillers” moaned Twilight “lots and lots of painkillers.”

Helping Hoof chuckled. “Well, I’ll see what I can do. Rest up, we’ll let the princess know you’re back amongst the living.” The mare walked out, leaving Twilight with only a softly beeping machine and her thoughts to keep her company. Memories of her fight with Luna began to return in drips and drabs. The things that she’d said! She didn’t feel that way about Luna at all. What made her say those awful things? She could only remember how angry and frustrated she’d felt, and now in the harsh light of day those feelings seemed so petty and ridiculous.

Twilight passed an unhappy hour wallowing in her misery and racking her brain to try to think of some way, any way, she could convince Luna to forgive her. Nothing she came up with seemed remotely sufficient.

She had just mentally sorted “Stand outside her window holding up a boombox” into the quickly-growing category of “Terrible ideas that would never work” when Princess Celestia entered with Helping Hoof in tow.

“Twilight! I’m so relieved that you’re all right. When they brought you and Captain Reinolds in I wasn’t sure if there would be any permanent damage, or even if you’d wake up at all.” Celestia went to hug or nuzzle the unicorn, but thought better of doing anything that might exacerbate her injuries.

“Captain Reinolds was hurt? Is he...”

“He’s alright. He woke up yesterday. There was some pretty bad damage to his horn and it’ll be awhile before he’s casting spells again, though” Helping Hoof chimed in.

Celestia mentally added “Review patient privacy rules with infirmary staff” to her already overlong to-do list, but let the moment pass without comment. “I’ve already discussed matters with him. Captain Reinolds will be given disability benefits and pay until such time as he is fit for guard duty once again. There is an excellent outpatient facility in Pensacolta, and I suspect a few months at the beach are exactly what he needs. Now more than ever”

“Well, he always talks about buying a boat when he retires. I hope he’ll finally get those sailing lessons he’s wanted.” said Twilight.

“I suspect he will. When I left he was already picking out ship names. I believe his current frontrunner is Serenity, or perhaps it was Tranquility, something along those lines” said Celestia. “Now, Helping Hoof, there are a few things I’d like to discuss with Twilight in private. Would you mind looking in on some of the other patients?”

“Oh, naturally. I’ll leave you two alone, just buzz if you need anything” said Helping Hoof as she left the room, leaving the princess with Twilight. A heavy quiet descended over them.

Twilight was left wondering if she should speak up first just to break the awkward silence when the princess beat her to it. “What the hay were you thinking, Twilight? What in Equestria possessed you to do so something so stupid?”

Twilight opened her mouth to respond, somehow, but couldn’t find any words. Celestia went on undeterred “Years of progress. Years where I watched my sister grapple with her inner demons, encouraged her to extend herself beyond what she thought she could do, held her as she cried over setback after setback. All undone in a half an hour. And for what, Twilight? Tell me that. Tell me why you would ever do something like this.”

SHE challenged ME!

She HUMILIATED me!

She tried to KILL me!

A thousand possible answers ran through Twilight’s head. The worst part was that she knew exactly how hard life had been for Luna. She might not be as close to Luna as she was to her teacher but they’d been on friendly terms, spending an occasional evening together talking about the latest ideas coming out of the Advanced Magic Research laboratories or just listening to Luna’s stories about how she came up with the original ideas for her constellations. It was that familiarity that Twilight had drawn upon when she’d reached into the most hateful parts of her mind and pulled out the comments she KNEW would hurt Luna the most.

“I didn’t mean for it to go that far! I just... I wanted to win...” she trailed off as she heard exactly how pathetic that sounded.

“It doesn’t matter what you intended for your acts to do. What was at stake that could possibly justify that sort of sadism? I wanted you to learn how to fight in order to protect yourself! That is the only excuse for violence that I am willing to accept. Your training is OVER. You will not set hoof inside that gym again, do I make myself perfectly clear? This time tomorrow you will come to the throne room and Luna will decide how you are to be punished” she continued.

“But-” began Twilight only for Celestia to hold up a hoof to cut her off.

“This is not up for discussion. I am aware that Luna is not blameless in all this. Both of your behaviors were completely unacceptable. But the betrayal you committed against her is the sort of breach of trust that can destroy a friendship”

“FOREEEEEEEEEVER!” shouted Pinkie Pie, bursting forth from a cabinet full of medical supplies. Pinkie looked over at the two ponies who were now staring at her. “Oh, hi Princess! Hi Twilight! Don’t mind me, I’ll show myself out” and bounced out the door without another word.

Pinkie’s entrance momentarily derailed Celestia’s train of thought. After a moment she seemed to decide that nothing more needed to be said for the time being and turned to leave. At the door, she stopped.

“I never thought the day would come when I would be ashamed to call you my student” she said without turning. Feeling the knife in her chest give one final twist, Twilight could only watch her mentor walk away as she lay back in her bed. The various bruises and sprains she had suffered no longer seemed significant next to the pain in her heart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Twilight entered the throne room in a despondent mood. She had half expected the chamber to be empty except for Luna and herself, but the court was in full swing, with both princesses on the thrones discussing different matters with their subjects. Ponies milled around talking to one another along the sides of the rooms, or leaned up against the thick marble pillars that supported the room’s vaulted ceiling, decorated with gorgeous murals commemorating the two royal sisters’ greatest battles and accomplishments. Even with all that was on her mind the sight of the magnificent architecture took her breath away, as it alway had.

She looked down again just in time to see Luna’s eyes come up from the pony she had been speaking with and spot her. Luna’s nose wrinkled and she grimaced like she had just bitten into something revolting for a brief moment before turning her attention back to the farm pony she was speaking to about his inability to get his concerns taken seriously by the local weather teams.

Twilight stifled her urge to turn and flee the room, and possibly the entire kingdom, at that moment. Screwing up her courage, she resolved not to shrink from the consequences of her actions, whatever they ended up being.

“Ah, Twilight, you’ve arrived. Thank you for coming. Please approach” said Celestia as she finished speaking to a trio of pegasi. Twilight stepped forward and found herself alone in the middle of the room before the princesses. She’d never really been comfortable being the center of attention, and the circumstances of her audience only enhanced her discomfort.

“Twilight Sparkle” Luna began “you stand accused of assaulting the throne, sedition, and treason. The usual penalty for such things is life imprisonment or execution, and even taking into consideration your heroic service to the kingdom in the past, a lifetime exile would not be out of the question if you are found guilty.” Twilight’s jaw dropped. This was far worse than she had anticipated.

“Luna, please-” were all she was able to get out before the princess interrupted her once again.

“Do not address us so informally, Twilight Sparkle. That is an privilege we reserve only for our friends.” said Luna. “Still” she continued “we are aware that just as our blood is upon thy hooves, our hooves are tainted as well by the violence we committed against thee.”

“Lu- Princess! I’m so sorry! I don’t know what came over me, but I don’t believe any of those things I said, and you shouldn’t either! You’re not subpar, or inferior, or anything like that at all! You’re one of the most wonderful ponies I’ve ever met! Even if... even if you have to send me away, please don’t think I ever hated you. How could I hate you? You’re... you’re...” Twilight broke down sobbing, overcome with the idea of never seeing her friends and family again, and by how deeply she had hurt a pony who had once viewed her as a friend and confidant.

“We... I am sorry as well Twilight Sparkle” said Luna “I should have been more considerate of your feelings, I did not realize that you would see my actions as mockery and disdain. They were not intended as such.” She paused for a moment “Also, I probably wouldn’t have let you suffocate, I’m fairly sure I would have released you after you fell unconscious. But I too am familiar with making mistakes when lashing out in anger.”

Twilight looked at the princess, and through her tears could see the conflicted look on Luna’s face.

“Still” said Luna “if this is the sort of pain that comes from opening our hearts to friendship with mortal ponies, then we would prefer to have no part in it. We have no need of it.” Twilight noticed Celestia shift uncomfortably on her throne. “But as to your charges...” Twilight closed her eyes and braced herself for Luna to hand down a sentence. In that moment, she found herself hoping for death. It would be less cruel than forcing her to live apart from every pony she had ever loved. “...we will hold to our word and pardon you for them.” Twilight opened one eye, not sure she could believe what she’d just heard. “We promised before the match began that we would pardon you for any crimes committed upon us in the course of the fight, and we are not the sort of pony to go back on our word” Luna’s eyes lit up with rage for a moment before she brought herself back under control “...no matter how much we would like to. In all honesty, we would prefer that you just leave and allow us to put all this behind us”

Twilight roused herself from her shocked stupor. “Princess Luna...” she began, but Luna was looking off to the side of the room, feigning disinterest. “...thank you, princess, I’ll just...” she trailed off and turned to go. This didn’t make sense. She wasn’t facing any charges for her actions. She was, by any account, getting off far more lightly than she deserved. So why was she still so upset and disappointed?

“Twilight, hold” Twilight turned around at the sound of Celestia’s voice.

“What now, sister? We were more than fair with your apprentice’s case” said Luna.

“Oh, I agree, you were more than fair. Too much more than fair, by my reckoning” said Celestia. “Twilight” she turned to address her suddenly-terrified student “I will accept my sister’s judgement, if she wishes to pardon the slights committed against her she may.” Celestia’s usually neutral expression morphed into the slightest hint of a mischievous smile. “However, it has been brought to attention that, once your battle with my sister brought down the grounding field around the ring, the gymnasium suffered nigh-catastrophic damage due to your magic.”

“Well...” began Twilight, suddenly struck by the urge to choose her words very carefully “I suppose that we both caused some damage, but I couldn’t tell you who did more.”

“Oh, don’t be so modest, Twilight! I have it on good authority that at least one folding chair was destroyed when you picked it up and used it as a bludgeon. Is that incorrect?” Twilight said nothing, so Celestia continued “Destruction of royal guard property is vandalism, Twilight, and vandalism is punishable by up to six months of community service.”

“But... but...” said Twilight, not quite able to keep up with what was happening.

“I sentence you to the maximum allowable punishment, six months of community service. In fact, I just happen to have the perfect assignment for you. You seem to be so very talented in the area of magical combat, and my sister has demonstrated a failing of judgement in the opponents she is willing to heedlessly challenge. For the next six months, you will be serving as her personal bodyguard.”

“WHAT?!?” exclaimed Twilight and Luna in unison.

“For the next six months, you will stay by her side and protect her from any threats that may arise, as well as following any commands that she might see fit to give you. Hopefully, this will teach you that your magical ability should be used to protect other ponies, rather than heartlessly inflicting pain upon them.”

“But... I... my studies...” babbled Twilight.

“Oh don’t worry about that. I don’t want your new position to distract you from your school assignments. Which is why you are also hereby suspended from my Academy for the duration of your sentence.”

“NO! But... you can’t...”

Celestia raised a eyebrow “I think you’ll find that I just did. I will include all the information pertaining to your new assignment in the very long, very detailed letter I’ll be writing to your parents”

Twilight went pale. “To... my parents?” she manage to squeak out.

“Oh yes” continued the princess “I imagine that they’ll want to know exactly why their daughter is moving into the palace’s servants quarters. Be sure to pack some warm pajamas, by the way, I’m told that it gets a bit chilly down there.”

Twilight was now beyond being able to give a coherent response, or taking any action beyond standing there slack-jawed. Luna, however, was still somewhat more alert.

“Sister, I’d really rather not-” she began

“As for you, dear sister” Celestia began over sister’s objection “if anything unfortunate befalls Twilight while she is in your service, I will be reviewing the circumstances very, very carefully. Do I make my meaning clear?”

“...Crystal clear, sister. But I really have no interest in-”

“You will learn to forgive and tolerate, my dear Luna. Do whatever you need to in order to do so, but I will not see you give up hope on achieving a real and lasting friendship, even if it is only with a mortal pony” she muttered in a voice that was only for Luna’s ears. “Now, Twilight, you are dismissed” decreed Celestia in a voice her entire court could hear.

Her entire court except, apparently, for a single purple unicorn sitting in front of the thrones, too dumbfounded to move.

“Twilight! I said you are dismissed!” Celestia tried again.

This seemed to penetrate Twilight’s haze just enough to get her to stand and stumble back the way she came through the doors to the throne room, passing several ponies along the way who had witnessed the entire exchange.

One of those ponies, a lesser baron from a small province outside of Trottingham, turned to his companion as Twilight left the room to face her new fate.

“Remind me never to break one of the Princess’ folding chairs.”