• Published 26th Oct 2019
  • 1,127 Views, 15 Comments

Mistress Do Well: Hearth's Warming - milesprower06



Hearth's Warming has come to Equestria again, and Rainbow Dash returns home for time with her family. But how will she explain that she's in a relationship with Twilight?

  • ...
4
 15
 1,127

Gratitude

Rainbow glided on the chilly currents as she soared towards Canterlot. The unicorn-moderated weather around Equestria's capital provided a picturesque backdrop of snowfall on the prairie below and mountains above, but the city itself was relatively free from snow. Though the castle was open for the Hearth's Warming dinner service that had concluded and was now available to tour the holiday decorations, Rainbow still knew it would be rather frowned upon to just fly up to the castle unbidden, and thus began to descend and touched down just outside the castle gates. The guard let her pass with a curt nod, and she walked across the drawbridge into the courtyard. Lights had been strung up around and along the marble pillars. Carolers had drawn a considerable crowd as they sang holiday staples from a temporary stage that had been set up.

Rainbow was both amazed and grateful that some shops had still been open this late on Hearth's Warming Eve. Last minute gift or no, the reflecting she had been doing on the flight here made her realize that if she really wanted her mom to eventually come around, then she was going to have to come around, sooner or later. So as the sun had set over Equestria, she had decided on a little detour on her way up to the Crystal Empire.

Entering the castle proper immediately took some of the chill away from the evening air. Groups of families and friends went every which way down the corridors, looking at Hearth's Warming sculptures, artwork, and decorations. The pegasus took in as much as she could on her saunter towards the throne room, the doors of which were closed and actively guarded by a Captain of the Night Watch.

"Evening, Captain," Rainbow greeted, stepping up to the E.U.P. officer. "I'm hoping it's not too difficult to get an audience with Princess Luna on a night like tonight."

The guard took a moment to look her up and down.

"I suppose an exception can be made for a hero of Equestria. If the Princess appears to be sleeping or otherwise meditating, I would ask that you remain silent, and wait; it means she's patrolling the dream realm. Do that, and I trust there won't be any problems. You may enter, Miss Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow nodded in thanks, stepped forward, and pushed the gargantuan throne room doors open, walking down the red carpet towards the throne. The way Luna kept the throne room for the night court was considerably different than the bright, sun-filled extravagance during the day. The only light was provided from torches on the pillars on either side of the hall. The soft crackling of flames from the wall sconces echoing against the walls along with her hoofsteps gave the throne room an entirely different atmosphere at night.

Rainbow approached the throne pedestal against the far wall, where Princess Luna sat in her chair, currently in a meditative state, most likely in somepony's dream. She decided to sit and wait at the base of the pedestal. One minute later, her eyes slowly opened, and she looked down at the pegasus who was patiently waiting.

"Rainbow Dash, this is certainly an unexpected visit. What can I do for you?" She asked, honestly surprised. Ever since the pegasus had returned to Ponyville after her year of self-exile, she had wanted as little as possible to do with the Princess of the Night and Dreams.

Rainbow reached down into her saddlebags with a wingtip, and came out with a small velvet jewelry box. She tossed it up to the princess, who caught it in the glowing cobalt aura of her magic.

"Happy Hearth's Warming, Princess."

Intrigued, Luna opened the small box, and inside was a silver-chained jeweled pendant, with sapphires and diamonds in the shape of a night sky and crescent moon.

"It's beautiful, thank you very much. But you didn't have to do this." Luna replied.

"Yes I did." Rainbow began. "Look, I know you and I have had more than our fair share of differences these past few months, but I... I never thanked you for saving my life. What I tried to do in the forest that night was selfish and stupid. Thank you for stopping me."

Luna took Rainbow Dash's words to heart as she got up, closed the box, and set it gently on her throne before coming down in front of her.

"Rainbow, I never intended on making you feel like I was forcing you down a particular path, but in hindsight, I suppose that is what I ended up doing. I so badly wanted, with every fiber of my being, to save the six of you."

"After everything that happened?" Rainbow asked. Luna immediately nodded.

"After all of you saved me from Nightmare Moon, from myself... seeing what happened to the six of you... It shook me to my very core. I was terrified that if the Elements of Harmony could be split asunder the way you and your friends were, what were the chances that I could slip back into darkness?"

"I never thought of it that way, honestly." Rainbow admitted.

"Were it not for Cadance, I never would have found you in time."

"But, I thought the Cloak of the New Moon would have made her forget she was talking to me with her Illusion spell."

"It did. She was clandestinely writing notes while she was talking to you." The Princess told her.

"Wow... Lucky for me."

"Very lucky, yes. She immediately summoned me after you left the Crystal Heart, and we got to you just in time. She sensed the love you still held deep inside you, and I knew that was the one seed of hope to start the healing. The geas I placed on your mind urged you to return to the Heart without the cloak shrouding your sense of self, and act upon what you felt. But it only lasted for a few hours, and had evaporated by the time you boarded the train to Ponyville. Everything else was entirely you."

Rainbow smiled.

"So what are you doing in Canterlot? I figured you would be with your family, or with Twilight." Luna asked her.

"I was with my family. Turns out me being with Twilight isn't sitting well at all with my mom right now. So instead of having to sit through an awkward Hearth's Warming, my dad told me I should go be with Twilight. She's up with her family in the Crystal Empire, so I figured I'd make a quick detour here. Figured that the holiday was a good opportunity for me to bury the hatchet with you."

The Princess of the Night smiled sympathetically.

"I am sorry to hear that, but if the two of you make each other happy, it shouldn't matter what other ponies, even family members, feel about it." Luna told her.

"Yeah, my dad said she'll eventually come around. I just have to wait. Maybe next year."

"Flying all the way up to the Crystal Empire overnight? Do you think you'll make it in time?"

"Yeah. It won't be too bad. Little nap on the way should do me. As long as I don't have to spend tomorrow alone. I just hope it's not too much to ask that I'm dropping in unexpected." Rainbow replied.

"Well, how about I send a quick note to Princess Cadance, letting her know that you're coming? A little Hearth's Warming gift of my own." Luna offered. Rainbow smiled up at her.

"Thank you very much, Princess. I'd appreciate that."

"Consider it done."

With that, Luna leaned down and pulled Rainbow into a gentle hug.

"Fly safe, and Happy Hearth's Warming, Rainbow Dash."

The pegasus returned the embrace.

"Happy Hearth's Warming, Princess, and sweet dreams."