• Published 6th Mar 2016
  • 574 Views, 4 Comments

The Tale of Coltypt - Rakoon1



This is the story about the ancient kingdom of Coltypt, explaining why it doesn't exist anymore in the Pony World.

  • ...
2
 4
 574

Amun's Decision

During the days following Shu’s rebellion, Amun became very busy to make sure that what happened with Shu wouldn’t repeat. Although the one that was once the most powerful weapon of all Coltypt was now deactivated, it wouldn't mean that he couldn't come back and finish what he had started.

To avoid something like that, Amun ordered that a hidden tomb should be built in the desert a to put Shu’s armor, sealing it in such a way that no one would be able to get in. In this way, they would safe from his madness.

Amun watched the guards sealing the entrance to the tomb, when Bes appeared by his side, saying:

"I'm glad we're not going to see Shu again. I have to admit that guy gave me the creeps. After all, he was a living armor."

"Funny, because you used to say that Shu was our protector" Amun replied, displaying a slight smile.

"Oh, Amun, you know me" Bes said with his usual joyful tone. "You know I don't like to show what I truly think. The secret to being a good warrior is not to let our enemies know that we think of them."

That made Amun drop a laugh. Bes always knew how to cheer things up.

"But even with Shu now disabled, our defenses have not been so shaken up" Bes said. "After all, we have two new Golden Warriors, one of which is your son who is a great warrior. Furthermore, we have the bracelet of Amun, that you used to defeat Shu."

Like he told Shu, Amun did not reveal to anypony that the bracelet of Amun was actually a part of Shu’s armor. He knew that some would not approve something like that if they knew the true origin of the bracelet.

"Even with the bracelet, Bes, it should not be used unless absolutely necessary" Amun said, while he and Bes began to move away from Shu’s tomb and headed to the citadel. "Its power is immense and I shouldn't use it."

"But it's yours" Bes said.

"I'm the Pharaoh, Bes" Amun said. "My duty is to rule and protect Coltypt. For that to happen, my subjects have to trust me. How can they trust me, if I have in my possession an immense power as the bracelet. Remember what happened with my uncle and my cousin."

Bes understood what Amun meant. Power changed the ponies in a way that made them be seduced by it, as it happened with Seti and Khonsu.

"I know what you mean, Amun" Bes said. "It war for that same reason you hid your staff."

"The bracelet of Amun will find its user" Amun secured. "And this user will use its power to protect Coltypt from the Lord of Chaos and his followers. But until then, we must protect our kingdom with what we have without it. Furthermore, a kingdom like ours cannot depend on the strength of a single being or object. That just makes us more vulnerable."

Bes let out a laugh and said:

"It seems that you become wiser than any of us, Amun. You're absolutely right. By the way, when are you going to announce who will be your successor? After everything that happened with Shu, this subject has been postponed."

"Let the rest the Council to know that I will communicate my decision this afternoon" Amun said. "We can't waste any more time."

"I still have fear about what might happen" Bes said. "You know perfectly well that he won't like it."

"It doesn't matter, Bes" Amun said. "He's a grown stallion. He will have to deal with it. My priority is the future of Coltypt and choose the next sovereign is something that should not be done lightly."

"I know that" Bes said. "But I don't think he's going to care about that."

Amun hated to admit it, but Bes was right. But he couldn't let that stop him from doing what was right for the kingdom.

When they reached the kingdom, Amun and Bes entered the throne room, where Hathor was Hathor, waiting.

"At last" Hathor said, greeting Amun with a kiss when he arrived to the throne before sitting on it. "You’ve been out for some time."

"I had to make sure that the tomb was properly sealed. We cannot afford to create opportunities for somepony to go in and reactivate Shu” Amun said. "But now that problem is already solved. It's time we move on with more important matters. Bes, summon the rest of the Council. We will meet in the Council room."

"Of course, Pharaoh" Bes replied, making a bow and then headed to the exit of the throne room.

"My love, please, go call our sons" Amun asked to Hathor.

"But why?" she asked.

"It's time to decide who of the two will be the next pharaoh of Coltypt" Amun said.

"Are you sure, Amun?" Hathor asked. "You know that things between them are not very well. Kefer and Anubis are not as united as they were before."

"They are no longer children, Hathor" Amun said. "They are no longer forced to be together and be best friends."

"I know that, Amun, but..." Hathor said. "You know I care too much for our sons. And if your choice eventually deteriorate their relationship even more?"

"That's something they have to solve for themselves" Amun said. "But regardless that, I have to make a decision. Actually, I've made my decision and I'm sure I did considering what is best for Coltypt."

"I hope you're right, Amun" Hathor said. "I really hope so."

And she also headed to the exit. After she left, Amun heard a voice saying:

"Nervous?"

The Lord of Order appeared at his side.

"I couldn't be more" Amun replied. "I know I made the right decision and that the Council agreed unanimously, but I’m afraid of his reaction."

"This will not be your fault, Amun" the Lord of Order said. "You took the best decision for your kingdom and you should not feel guilty about it. Remember that a true leader cannot show any regrets for his mistakes, but rather face the consequences of his actions."

"I know, my lord" Amun said. "I just hope I get to remember that when the time comes."

"I know you will" the Lord of Order said. "You never disappoint, Amun. Even before you were born, I knew you'd never let me down."

With these words, the Lord of Order disappeared.

Taking deep breaths to calm himself, Amun got up and headed to the exit.

At Apis’ Labyrinth, the two brothers and Horus were practicing. While Horus was training with a training dummy, Kefer and Anubis were preparing for a simulation that was being driven by Apis.

"Remember, young princes, the hoof-to-hoof combat is a basic, but very important part in a fight" the minotaur said, while the two brothers surrounded each other, staring at each other. "A true warrior cannot rely only on his weapons or magic, because, in a fight, things may not happen as expected. It's time to see how your fighting style evolved."

"Did you hear that, little brother?" Anubis asked to Kefer. "You can't use magic."

"You don't need to remind me, Anubis" he replied. "I don't need it or the Golden Power."

"That's what we're going to see" Anubis said.

"Start" Apis said.

And the two brothers started the simulation, exchanging a few blows, while trying to dodge. The two young princes seemed to be at the same level. Even though Anubis have more strength, Kefer’s blows wore more accurate and his movements were agile enough to dodge his brother’s. Anubis, for its part, had an immense resistance, and therefore Kefer’s blows of didn't cause the effect they should do. Horus stopped with his training to observe the fight, hoping that Kefer would win. But it was then that Anubis made a trip to Kefer which made him fall to the ground and, at the time this happened, the older brother subdued the younger one.

"The fight is over" said Apis. "Anubis wins."

Anubis then freed his brother and told him:

"You see, little brother? That's how you fight."

He stood up and shook the dust in his coat, while he laughed. Horus approached Kefer and extended one of his talons to help him get up, saying:

"That was a close one, Kefer."

Kefer extended his hoof to Horus who grabbed it and then pulled him up.

"Yes, but it seems that my brother is still better" Kefer replied.

"And more idiot" Horus added.

"Don't be like that, Horus" Kefer said. "You know how Anubis is anyway."

"Great job, Your Highnesses" Apis said to Kefer and Anubis. "I can see you have progressed a lot in your training."

"Thank you, Apis" the two brothers thanked.

"Horus, now it's your turn to show your skills" Apis said. "Fight with Prince Kefer."

"Did you hear that, Kefer?" Horus asked. "It seems now it’s both of us. I'll try not to be too rough."

Kefer giggled and replied:

"Whatever you say, my friend."

But before they could put on their positions, Hathor entered the labyrinth.

"Hello, Apis" she greeted.

"Your Highness" Apis said, making a bow to Hathor. "To what do I owe the honor of your visit? Did you come to see the training of your sons?"

"Actually, I came to get them" she replied. "My husband wants to talk to them."

"Dad wants to talk to us?" Kefer asked. "About what?"

"As far as I know, none of us did something wrong" Anubis said. "At least in recent times."

"Don't worry, it's not like that" Hathor said. "Actually, it's something about the kingdom."

When she said that, the two brothers exchanged looks. They had understood what their mother meant.

"Dad has already decided who will be his successor?" Kefer asked.

Hathor nodded and Anubis exclaimed:

"Finally! I was wondering when he would finally make the decision. Finally I’ll be nominated crown prince."

"I don't know why you're saying that" Horus said. "After all, the crown prince can be Kefer."

"Yes, but I think that's unlikely" Anubis said, turning then to Kefer. "No offense, little brother."

"None taken, Anubis" Kefer said. "I will accept whatever the choice of our father is, even though I am not chosen to the crown prince."

"Sorry, Apis, but you're going to have to postpone the training for another time" Hathor said.

"No problem, Your Highness" Apis replied. '' I understand perfectly. A moment like this deserves to be celebrated."

"Does that mean that I am also released from practice?" Horus asked.

Apis took a while to respond, but he said:

"Okay, you can go too, but tomorrow I will test your skills in unarmed battle."

"Good!" Horus exclaimed, happy.

Thus, Hathor took her sons to the Council room with Horus coming right behind. When they arrived, before entering, Hathor turned to Kefer and Anubis and told them:

"My sons, before entering, I want to tell you something. Regardless of your father’s decision, please, promise me that you won't let being brothers."

"Mom, you don't have to worry" Kefer secured. "If it depends on me, nothing will change."

"Because we both know who will be chosen" Anubis said.

"I hope so" Hathor said, which wasn't too confident of her sons’ words.

She then turned to the doors of the Council room and opened them and entered, followed by her sons and Horus. The members of the Council were already present, sitting in their respective places. Hathor went to the edge of her husband, while Kefer and Anubis placed themselves in the center of the circle and Horus was at the entrance of the room.

"My sons, after much meditation on my part and with the approval of the Lord of Order and the Council, I decided which of the two of you will ascend to the throne of Coltypt when my time as Pharaoh comes to an end" Amun said.

Kefer remained straight, waiting for the release of his father's decision, while Anubis displayed a slight smile, convinced that he would be the one who Amun would choose. The Pharaoh then rose up, while those who still didn't know his choice waited for his expectant proclamation.

"The one who will succeed me as the next pharaoh of Coltypt is..." he began, while making a little break to prepare himself for the impact that was about to happen. "… Kefer."

When they heard the name of the youngest prince, everypony were surprised, including his own. However, no one was more shocked than Anubis. He was petrified when he heard the name of his brother as being the one who would become the next pharaoh.

"So... Kefer will be... the next pharaoh?" Horus asked, then getting euphoric. "Yes! Fantastic!"

But Kefer did not show the same kind of happiness. Instead, he turned to his brother, worried about his reaction. That was also felt by Hathor.

"Anubis..." Kefer started, wanting his older brother to know how much he regretted the fact that he was not chosen.

However, Anubis, ignoring Kefer, asked his father:

"Why?"

"Why what?" Amun asked.

"You know what!" Anubis exclaimed, with the anger starting to get the better on him. "Why didn't you choose me?! I'm the oldest. I should be the next pharaoh!"

"I made the right decision for the kingdom, Anubis" Amun said. "And there's nothing you can do or say that will change my decision."

"But I'm stronger" Anubis protested. "I'm stronger and better than Kefer in combat, in addition to being a better strategist."

"It takes a lot more than these qualities to be a good king, my son" Amun said. "Among these qualities are humility and generosity, something that Kefer has a lot to give."

That angered Anubis even more, as Amun was putting Kefer above him.

"Looks like you decide to benefit your favorite son once again" Amun said to his father.

"Anubis, I..." Kefer said.

"Shut up, Kefer!" Anubis exclaimed. "Don't you dare tell me that our father loves us in the same way. He always favored you over me. You've always been his dearest son."

"Anubis, that's not true!" Hathor exclaimed. "Your father loves you and your brother in the same way."

"Don't defend him, mom” Anubis answered. "It won't do any good."

"And you still say your father's decision is unfair" Seth said.

Anubis turned to the sha and asked gruffly:

"What do you mean?!"

"Look at you" Seth replied. "You're having a tantrum like a foal that doesn't have what he wants. A true king doesn't have behaviors like that."

Seth’s words just let Anubis even more furious.

"That's enough, Seth" Isis said. "Don't pour oil on the fire."

Following his sister’s advice, Seth returned to remain silent, keeping his serene air.

Kefer turned to his father and told him:

"Dad, you know that nothing would give me more happiness than satisfy your desire, but perhaps in this matter it will better if you reconsidered."

"I'm sorry, Kefer, but that is my decision" Amun said.

"But..." Kefer started.

"Stop, Kefer" Anubis said. "I don’t need your sympathy for nothing."

"Hey, you could at least be more grateful, Anubis" Horus said. "Kefer is appealing for you."

Anubis ignored Horus and turned to Amun and told him:

"I demand to prove my worth. I want to prove I can be a better pharaoh than Kefer. "

"Anubis, my dear, perhaps you shouldn't..." Hathor started.

"I have the right to do it, mom!" Anubis exclaimed. "No one can deny that to me."

"You're right" Amun said. "I know how you'd react, my son. For that reason, I've been preparing for this eventuality. Following my orders, Maat prepared everything.”

She then stood up and, placing herself in front of two brothers, she used her magic to summon a round glass container with a golden frame. Inside, there was a crystal feather with delicated traits.

"It was decided that the one who wants to challenge the pharaoh or the crown prince and assume any of this positions, will have to undergo the challenge of the feather of Maat" she said. "In this challenge, the feather will move away from the golden citadel to the No Pony’s Land, the piece of the desert that doesn’t belong to Coltypt and surrounds it. The first to retrieve the feather to me will be the winner and will occupy the position in dispute. Both participants must give their best or so the challenge will be cancelled. The loser will be marked with the dark seal and will be banned from the citadel and forced to live in the desert."

"No!" Hathor exclaimed. "That can't happen. How dare you to suggest something like that, Maat? "

"I'm sorry, my queen, but this shall be the punishment for the challenger, if he or she loses, for daring to challenge the regime of our kingdom" replied Maat. “Of course the same fate must fall over the challenged.”

Hathor turned to Amun and told him:

"Please, Amun, tell me you won't agree with this. Tell me you're not going to let our sons competing for a simple title with the risk of being banned."

"As I said, Hathor, Maat is responsible for creating the challenge that will allow Anubis prove that he deserves to be my successor" Amun said. "In addition , they are adults and warriors."

"But..." Hathor started, before realizing that she would not be able to convince your husband.

Approaching Anubis, Maat made a stone tablet with the shape of the seal of Coltypt appear and handed it to the young prince saying:

"If you want to proceed with the challenge, young prince, you just have to break the seal."

Getting the seal, Anubis weighed about what he should do. Although he was confident of his capabilities, he couldn't ignore the fact that his brother was almost at the same level as him. Under the current circumstances, he could not be sure who would win the challenge and win the title of crown prince. He then turned to Kefer and told him:

"I promise one day I will get what I want."

"Anubis..." Kefer said.

And, having said that, Anubis headed to the exit, saying:

"I'm going to get stronger, you can be sure of that. And when I return, Coltypt will have a new future ruler."

And he left the room.

Shortly after, Anubis left the golden citadel, taking with him a bag with supplies and the seal and his sword, determined to get stronger to then return and get the title of crown prince.

Facing the desert, Anubis walked through the sandstorms under the scorching sun. Suddenly, the storm began to pass aside him. The prince, repairing that, looked around, confused. Then a voice said:

"Look at you, walking aimlessly, just in order to get stronger. Well, you can be sure of one thing, dear Anubis. I can give you what you want."

"Who's there?" Anubis asked, looking around and taking out his sword. "Reveal yourself!"

"Such aggression" the voice said. "I just want to talk."

And darkness appeared in front of Anubis and condensed until the Lord of Chaos appear, saying:

"Can we not have a friendly chat?"

Seeing him, Anubis recognized him immediately. He had seen his pictures during his studies.

"You are the Lord of Chaos, the Lord of Order’s evil brother" Anubis said.

"I'm flattered with those words" the Lord of Chaos said.

"What do you want from me?" Anubis asked, without lowering his sword.

"For starters, you could show some respect, lowering your sword" the Lord of Chaos replied. "It's not polite to point a weapon at someone who just wants to help."

"I know your kind of help" Anubis said. "I'm not going to let you manipulate me as you do with others."

"If you know my achievements, then you know what I'm capable of" the Lord of Chaos said. "You know I can help you to have what you want."

"I don't need your help to defeat my brother" Anubis said.

He prepared to move away, but the Lord of Chaos said:

"If that's true, then why don't you defied Kefer at the moment Maat gave you the seal?"

That made Anubis to stop. The Lord of Chaos continued:

"Maybe because you know that your brother can defeat you, even though you're stronger. You want to ensure your victory and therefore you want to be stronger."

Anubis turned to the Lord of Chaos that went on with what he was saying:

"I can give you the power you need to defeat him. I can give you the power you need to be the best pharaoh that Coltypt ever had. After all, that is what you want, isn't it? You want to overcome your father and all the other pharaohs. Let me help you achieve your ambition. Let me help you... become pharaoh."

With the Lord of Chaos’ words resonating in his head, Anubis stood, considering whether or not he would accept his help.