• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 10,485 Views, 149 Comments

The Heir of Chaos - Cherry Bonds



Twilight finds out a secret that has been kept from her for a thousand years. Hint: It's related to Discord.

  • ...
8
 149
 10,485

Flashback 1

18 years before Discord’s escape…

Celestia stood up. Day court was over and she was tired of listening to half-witted greedy nobles all day. She was ready to retreat to her personal quarters and take a well-deserved break.

She went to her room, closed the door behind her, and jumped on to her bed. Letting the soft mattress carry her, she took a deep breath and sighed.

With nothing currently grabbing her attention, her mind wandered off to thoughts about her sister, Luna. She still grieved over the banishment of her sister. Every night was torture for Celestia. To raise the moon and see the image of her sister scarred on to the moon.

She blamed herself constantly on how she didn’t see her sister’s misery.

Celestia’s thoughts were interrupted as she heard banging on the door. She got up and opened the door to see two guardponies, armor stained by… cotton candy?

“Princess Celestia! There is an emergency!” One of the guards shouted.

“What is it?” Celestia questioned.

“An unidentifiable creature has intruded the castle and is causing chaos at the courtyard!” The other guard informed.

Celestia’s curiosity was piqued.

An unidentifiable creature? That’s new,” Celestia thought.

“Then let us move at utmost haste towards the courtyard,” Celestia ordered the guards.

The guards saluted back, “Yes, your majesty!”


Celestia made it to the courtyard, only to find it in an absolute mess. There were bits and pieces of cotton candy littering the court, trees that were pulled out from the ground were stuck in the air, and the fountain that was at the center was thrown off to the side.

Most notable was the group of guards with shields circling something. Celestia moved towards the circle, and messaged the guards to step aside. The guards did what they were told, and opened the circle for Celestia to step in.

When Celestia finally got to see what the guardponies were surrounding, she was astonished at what she saw.

She saw a small purple creature, taking a defensive stance and hissing at the guards.

Celestia immediately recognized the creature upon seeing it.

The draconequus, Discord’s daughter… But I thought she was put in the preservation crystal,” Celestia thought to herself.

She was entranced by the draconequus for a while, until one of the guards asked for orders from Celestia.

She quickly took action and gave orders, “Make sure it doesn’t go anywhere! I need somepony to go to the kitchen to get a bowl of chocolate milk and be quick!”

“Yes your highness!” The guards shouted back without questions.

A couple of minutes later a guard came back with a bowl of chocolate milk lying on a tray on his back. Celestia levitated the bowl off the tray and placed it inside the circle of guards. The draconequus slowly and curiosly walked towards the bowl and gave it a sniff. She seemed to recognize the drink as she eagerly licked it up like a cat. Celestia was relieved to see that the draconequus at least calmed down a little. Otherwise the situation would’ve worsened and Canterlot would be in a panicked state.

Celestia coughed, “I need all of you to stay back and keep the courtyard closed. We’re going to wait for it to become tired and fall asleep so try not to make it feel uncomfortable. Until then make sure nopony gets inside this area. Understood?”

The guards diligently replied with “Yes your highness!”

A few moments passed. The guards blocked all entrances to the courtyard and covered any windows that peered into the courtyard.

Meanwhile Celestia conjured up heat lamp to keep the courtyard warm and cosy.

While the draconequus was slightly confused by this, she ignored it and finished the bowl of chocolate milk and explored the area she found herself in. However she quickly grew tired as she had used a lot of magic fighting off the guards that attempted to apprehend her.

Her eyelids felt heavy and with the warmth of the heat lamp enveloping her, she lay down and slept.

Celestia saw this and carefully wrapped the draconequus in a blanket. She then told the guards, “I’ll be taking it to my personal quarters for now. Get the castle cleaners to clean the courtyard and then open it again.”

“Yes your highness,” they responded.

“And don’t tell anyone about what happened here. Got that?”

“Yes your highness,”

“Good. Now if you’ll excuse me…”

Celestia picked up the sleeping draconequus and carried her back to Celestia’s room. Celestia cautiously placed her on the bed, still asleep.

Celestia stared at the draconequus. She was curled up comfortably, occasionally twitching.

Celestia smiled. She couldn’t help it. Seeing the small furry creature like that was cute.

But she then remembered who she was.

"Discord’s daughter… What was her name again? Ah right, Twilight. How did she break out of the preservation crystal?” Celestia wondered. “Well she is the daughter of a being who can bend reality to his will, I guess it would kind of make sense that she could break out of the crystal.

Celestia sighed and rested her head on the side of the bed.

But what am I going to do with her? I can’t just keep her in the castle, the nobles would freak out and who knows what kind of stories the reporters will cook up. But I can’t just put her back in the crystal either since she could just break out again…

Celestia was stumped. She didn’t know what to do with the thing.

“Hmm… Wait! Maybe…”


A week has passed. She had spent the week researching families that were looking to adopt foals. She did find one, Twilight Velvet and Night Light. What a strange coincidence that the draconequus shared the same name with Twilight Velvet. From what she’s heard they sounded like nice ponies, and they were experienced with childcare since they already have a child. She just hoped they wouldn’t freak out seeing Twilight.

Celestia stood outside their house, late at night, carrying a saddlebag with the sleeping draconequus inside. She knocked on the door and waited for a response. She heard hoofsteps nearing the door until she heard the door click and open. A middle-aged mare with a light grey coat and a purple striped mane stood behind the door.

The mare looked surprised seeing her ruler stand there in front of her, “Oh Princess Celestia! Wh- What brings you here your highness?”

“You are Twilight Velvet correct?” Celestia asked.

“Um… Yes?”

“May I come in?”

“Oh yes of course!”

Celestia walked in and followed Twilight Velvet to the living room.

“Please take a seat. I need to go upstairs and get my husband”

Celestia sat down on the couch as Velvet went up the stairs. Celestia looked around the quaint and cosy house. It was nice. She could tell that Twilight will have nice life here. Well… if they take her in of course. Celestia opened her saddlebag to check on her. She was still asleep, snuggled up in the bag.

Twilight Velvet came back down with a blue stallion around the same age. They both sat down on the sofa and looked a little tense.

The blue stallion opened his mouth to speak, “So what brings you to our home your highness?”

“I hear that you two are looking to adopt a foal?” Celestia inquired.

“Oh um, yes we have. Why?” Velvet replied.

“Well then I have a proposal for you,”

Celestia opened her saddlebag and carefully levitated the sleeping draconequus out in to the couple’s hooves. The two were bewildered at the creature they were holding.

“Would you two like to adopt her into your hooves, Mrs. Velvet and Mr. Light?”

The couple continued their gaze at the draconequus. They were bewildered at the multi-textured creature they were holding; they’ve never seen anything like it.

Celestia looked at their expressions and began regretting that she made this proposal.

Finally, Twilight Velvet spoke, “Do you mind if we talk about this alone for a bit?”

Celestia nodded and levitated Twilight onto a pillow near her. The couple then quietly walked out of the room to talk. Celestia heard muffled chatter from the other room but decided not to eavesdrop on them.

Celestia waited for them to come back but in the meantime she kept herself occupied looking at the sleeping cub.

Celestia felt stupid for forgetting about Twilight’s existence. How could she have forgotten about the child of one of the most destructive villains in history? If she had remembered she would’ve had time to plan things more carefully. She at least hoped that the current plan would work out in the long run.

“Um, excuse me?” said a voice.

Celestia looked up. It was Twilight Velvet standing next to Night Light. They had finished their conversation and re-entered the room.

They were standing around nervously, with a little bit of worry in their eyes.

“So we’ve made our final decision and… we have decided to adopt this little… what is it exactly?” Twilight Velvet asked.

Celestia tried to come up with something, “Uh, she… she’s a pony. A magical mishap happened and she ended up like that. Then we found her and… you know.”

“Oookay…” Night Light said, reluctantly accepting the answer.

“Does she have a name?” Velvet asked.

“Why yes she does. Funnily enough it’s quite similar to yours Ms. Velvet. Her name is Twilight Sparkle.” Celestia answered cheerfully.

“Well okay then!” Velvet carefully lifted Twilight up and carried her in her hooves, “Welcome to the family Twilight.”

Author's Note:

Proofread by Zocarik.