• Published 13th Jun 2012
  • 4,763 Views, 199 Comments

Ancient Wings, New Soul - Kowlickkid



Part of the Ballad of Echo and Griffin the Griffin Crossover group, with a new species.

  • ...
17
 199
 4,763

Chapter 3: Boss Battle!

Boss Battle!

"A d-d-dragon?"


"That is the most probable answer. Dragons are the only beings who are capable of both reaching this island and making such a noise. Yet few are the days in which one actually takes time to traverse the vast expanse to reach our small island. And to reach here, there is always the matter of defenses. It must be either powerful or stealthy."


A pegasus suddenly burst into the hut and blurted out:


"Jangara! Vizaraal the lightning dragon has landed! Most of the inhabitants are underground but the beast is destroying the houses and WHAT IS THAT GRIFFIN DOING HERE!"


Jangara's face was contorted with worry, but she introduced me first.


"Whiplash, I must inform you that this is not a griffin, and that matter is not as urgent as the dragon."


"What's up with the lightning part about Vizaraal?"


"It is a fact that most dragons breathe fire, but Vizaraal gained the ability to use lightning magic through an unknown method. He is extremely powerful. This could spell doom for our village."


"What are we going to do, Jangara?" asked Whiplash. I answered him.


"We're going to secure the town first. Then we're going to search for weak spots in the beast and use them to our advantage."


His face contorted with a bit of disgust.


"Who died and made you king of the village?"


I glared at him.


"In case you haven't noticed, there's a darn dragon assaulting this village, and even though I'm scared, I'm trying to solve the problem instead of running around like a wingless chicken. And if you have a better idea, please do tell."


He sighed.


"Fine. I shouldn't be like that anyways. Sorry."


I walked out the door and observed my surroundings. Suddenly, I caught sight of what had everyone so worried. A big, lightning-purple dragon that was a tremendous size. It's head alone was the size of my entire body. I hastily spread my wings to try to get closer, because I reasoned that running on four talons wouldn't be easy. I flapped a couple of times and ended up with a face full of dirt.


"Not so easy trying to fly, is it?" asked a familiar voice from behind. Chaos was standing there, his body now a light green, almost yellow, with a thin and tall physique. "Though I suppose it's not quite your fault. Flying can be more difficult than you realize, especially with four wings to reckon with.


"Gee, I didn't notice."


"Now, now, let's not have any of that attitude. Sarcasm won't help you. I, however, will."


"Wouldn't that be cheating or something?"


"My dear boy, of course it's not cheating. I'm just giving you a little gift, which is not much considering what one of us gave his player."


He snapped his fingers and a green orb the size of my fist appeared in front of him.


"Have fun with this. I'm giving you the gift of flight, seeing as how you're pretty much helpless without it."


The orb floated towards me and went into my chest. I could feel experience and ability almost radiating now from my wings, which were now fully extended, the larger ones having a total wingspan of more than double my length, from head to tail.


"I'm going to give you one last tip which might come in handy, though you have to figure out how it works. In this world, Latin has magic. I'm not going to tell you how. And now, you are on your own. Go ahead and spread a little bit of chaos. Even immortals need to feed once in a while."


I turned back to the dragon, which seemed to have a smug grin on it's face. I followed it's line of vision to a broken cart.


"Oh, no." I whispered. Huddled beneath the wooden structure was a zebra child, quaking with fear. My talons clenched. My wings spread. I flew towards the filly, intent on getting it out of danger before something happened. I could see the dragon open it's mouth wide. A cluster of electricity gathered between it's jaws. I sped faster towards the filly. I felt something wake me up. Adrenaline. But it was strong. Much stronger than I had ever experienced it before. I rocketed forward, my front talons reaching out in front of me. The dragon fired it's bolt. Time seemed to slow down as I finally reached the child, grabbed her forelegs in my palms, careful not to spear her with my claws, and tried to get out of the path of the lightning before it struck. The cart blasted into pieces as I made my way out, some fragments of the original bolt striking me in the back and sending slight jolts all across my body. I screeched and sped upwards at speeds I would never have guessed I could do with my four wings. I held the child tight in my claws as I curved and headed downwards towards Jangara.


"Quickly, hide her!" I practically screamed. "I'll do what I can to keep the reptile away!"


I sped back towards the dragon and narrowly avoided a claw swipe thrown at me by the beastly behemoth. I screamed, but not a scream such as you would hear from a human, a screech of an eagle, but amplified a few times. The dragon spoke.


"What are you doing here, griffin? No matter, I shall merely kill you as well. Nothing can stop such a bloodlust as mine."


My vision went pinkish-red.


"You... would kill... FOR FUN!"


He flashed a prideful look at me.


"I do what I wish, and none can stop me. I am Vizaraal!"


I let out a yell and charged at him. Big mistake. I bounced right off his chest, after which he punched me. Hard. If there was a brick wall, I would've gone flying right through it. If I was a human, I would be a messy pulp. Miraculously, I survived, after dragging on the ground for a few seconds. I groaned while the dragon approached to finish the job.


"Pathetic. When I heard news of the griffin who slayed dragons, I thought they might be worthy foes."


My thought process went bonkers. A griffin killed dragons. I was a sort of ancestor to griffins, and it wasn't by evolution that they came into existence, it was by a sort of crossbreed. Ergo, I was either almost exactly the same, or more powerful. I couldn't be much weaker, as my kind had been the lords of the sky once.


'But does it end here? Will I die before I realize my true potential?'


My answer came sooner than expected. The dragon raised it's head, charging another super attack. I closed my eyes, expecting the pain of lightning to hit me. It didn't come. I dared open my eyes to see that a small group of male zebras were throwing spears at the dragon. They weren't puncturing or scratching it, but I think it's safe to say that it stung enough to make it annoying. Probably something like chucking little paper pellets at a human. Not damaging, but annoying. It growled and turned to face the zebras.


"How DARE you interrupt my kill?! I will make you pay!"


The distraction had given me enough time to sit up and think again.


'Right. Avoid getting angry. If angry, don't let it control you, or you're toast. Control it to your advantage. Back to plan A. Observe weakness and exploit it. First weakness: The thing has got a temper and a noble attitude. Taunt to make him reveal weak spots.'


I picked up a rock and threw it at the monstrous beast. By sheer luck, it managed to land in it's eye. It growled and rubbed it's ocular organ.


"Hey! Big, tall and ugly! You've got something on your face! It's really ugly! It's hideous! It horrendou- Oh, wait. That's your FACE!!!"


It roared at me and took off after me. I quickly leaped into the air and moved to the right of a small electric-blue beam that came from the dragon.


'Okay, analysis on firepower complete. Works kind of like Megaman's cannon, either quick bursts or a charged rocket.'


I concentrated on going in quick movements around the creatures head, using my newfound evasive abilities to dodge what he threw at me.


'Chaos really gave me a good gift. I can fly really well. Probably has something to do with four wings.'


The dragon continued to slash and breathe at me repeatedly yet ineffectively. Yet it left no openings, except for the ones that were obvious.


'Apparently, he has no weaknesses in his scales. Possible targets include nostrils, inside of mouth, possibly the ears, most definitely the eyes, seeing as how the rock annoyed him, he probably doesn't have an effective second eyelid, and maybe below the tail in a region I don't really want to go to. After all, that thing might be loaded.'


After the physical examination, I looked around, trying to find a suitable weapon. Around me, I could see branches, trees, grass, and in the slight distance, the village, for I had managed to steer him away. I darted around a claw that was going for me, but it managed to nick my left back talon.


"CRUD! He got my talon... talon... which has claws... sharp, needle-like claws... weapon acquired. Commence dragon-slaying."


I opened my talons wide, exposing the wickedly sharp claws that grew out of the fingers. Maneuvering past another claw coming to strike me, I landed on the head of the dragon and plunged my right foreleg into his eye. A generous amount of a clear liquid spilled out as it roared in what I could imagine was intense pain. He thrashed about, and it was all I could do to avoid his frantic arm thrusts as he tore up the ground. When he finally got the pain under control, he glared at me with one eye, the other tightly shut with a hand over it.


"You shall pay for this, griffin!"


He lashed his tail out at me, but I swiftly dodged it, swooped up and looked down at him from my vantage point in the sky. I spoke, but it somehow wasn't me, as if someone else was using my voice.


"Fool!" I, or rather, what was controlling me, said. "Our kind is not that of a griffin! We existed before dragons evolved to their current forms. Now, you shall have to die!"


I was amazed by the words coming out of my mouth, but was even more amazed when I felt wind bending all around me. I felt power surging around me and through me, and the air seemed to congregate at a point in front of me. Unexpectedly, my four wings beat at once, their tips at the center of where the air had begun to make a slightly visible orb. With a great gust of wind, a clear spear went out from the orb and struck the dragon in the middle of the chest. It screamed, and then it's chest was torn open as the air spear punctured it. A voice sounded in my head.


"Fledgeling, you have great potential within you. Now, take the core heart of the beast and consume it, and embrace your destiny as the beginning of the new legacy of our species."


I slowly approached the dragon, confused at what had been said in my thoughts. I had to eat a heart? No, the heart of a dragon would be much too big. The core heart, whatever that was. I looked at the corpse of the dragon, and saw something shining inside. I peered inside, resisting the urge to puke, and saw a small white glowing sphere, about the size of an apple. I took hold of it and noticed that it held a different type of power, in a way I couldn't explain. I remembered the words in my head. Consume it. I apprehensivelly brought the sphere up to my beak and crunched it before swallowing. I then began to feel tired. Fatigued.


"Well done, fledgeling. You have completed the rite of passage, and do not need my energy support. Rest, and recuperate. You have done well."


My eyes fluttered shut as I collapsed on the ground, sinking into sweet oblivion.







School. Is. OVER! Yay! Let summer begin. Also, if anyone's curious, no, the dude's not going to the gala. No buts. So, expect more updates, though I might be on vacation for some days, and have a good summer vacation. Thanks for reading, and keep your stick on the ice.