• Published 22nd Mar 2016
  • 535 Views, 4 Comments

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Shinzakura



Tired of his life in Ponyville, Caramel decides to travel. In the process, he finds out more about himself than he thought...and the mare travelling with him.

  • ...
2
 4
 535

First Movement

Author's Note:

Yes, this is all done via Dragon VTT and some judicious editing from dedicated people who know I usually don't make that many mistakes.

Also, while this is inspired by "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", it's not a breakup fic. Enjoy.

It’s getting to the point where I’m no fun anymore, Caramel sighed as he walked the north field of Sweet Apple Acres. As the lone employee of the Apple Family’s farm (and a distant relative as well, though really, practically any earth pony in Ponyville could say the same thing) he tilled the farm and worked just as hard as either of the older Apple siblings.

“I am sorry,” he said to no one in particular, while staring at the mountains in the distance, in particular the Lonely Spire, the needle-like crag that reached towards the heavens. He’d never been there – in fact, he’d never really left Ponyville. Sure, he’d had plenty of opportunity, but somehow it never seemed to come. There was always some part of the field that needed to be tended to while Applejack was on one of her trips, always some part of the farm equipment needing to be fixed while Big Mac courted the schoolmarm, Cheerilee. Always something, always something.

“D’dja say somethin’?” Big Mac, a short step away, asked. As the two were currently preparing the north field for this year’s crops – a selection of non-apple products, as well as some of the lands that Carrot Top would be renting, since her Any Carrot All farm had a field tied up while she built a new barn – it was just them, sheltered from the rest of the world by the grassy plains to the north of the property, the central orchard to the south, Carrot Top’s farm to the east, and a section of the Everfree to the west. The main part of the farm, as well as Ponyville proper, lay nearly a mile to the south.

Caramel shook his head, but Big Mac merely sighed. “Ah know y’re clampin’ up, but y’ know ya don’t hafta do that ‘round me.”

The tan stallion nodded, then finally sighed. “Sometimes ... it hurts so badly I must cry out loud,” he admitted.

“Cry what?”

“I am lonely,” Caramel mourned.

“Lonely? With that smile y’ve always got on yer face?” The russet stallion shook his head. “Ah just don’t get it. Heck, this town’s filled with mares, an’ Ah know there’s more’na few gals lookin’ yer way.”

“Mac, in case you didn’t notice ... they’re always looking at you, even if you’re dating Cheerilee. Or, for that matter, they’ve got their eyes on someone more fancy, like Noteworthy, or athletic, like Thunderlane or great with the ladies, like Goldengrape. Hell, I’d even deal with being a brainiac like Dr. Hooves – at least he’s got whatsername to cozy up with at nights.”

“Still plenty of others, y’ know.”

“Like who? Lyra and Bon-Bon? Or maybe that DJ chick and her cellist lover? Mac, I’m a single, available stallion – and even with the high number of mare-to-mare relationships in town, somepony should still want me around!” He kicked a pebble, the small stone flipping end over end before colliding into another. “I’m beginning to think that maybe ... maybe I’m just not cut out for living in Ponyville.”

Big Mac just chuckled. “Now, y’ know that’s just ponyfeathers, Caramel. Why, y’re the best danged farmhoof we e’er had here at Sweet Apple Acres!”

“Because I’m the only one, Mac. And I’m beginning to think that at this rate, that’s gonna be my whole life story. I ... I just can’t live my life like this anymore. Not when there’s a whole world out there.” He sat down and spread his forelegs out to encompass the whole world. “Somewhere out there is my life, Mac, I just know it. And if I stay here, I’m never gonna find it.”

“Dontcha think yer rushin’ this?” his friend asked. “Y’ should at least take some time t’ think about it.”

“Maybe,” the goldenrod stallion said in a tone that indicated he didn’t quite agree. With that, the two continued their daily toils, with Caramel occasionally taking the time to look away and cast his eyes on the Lonely Spire, the Whitetail Woods that surrounded it, and the horizon where the sun would eventually take its rest. And as the shadows grew long and the two stallions called it a day, Caramel was all but sure that he’d made up his mind, but he needed to talk to somepony first – somepony important in his life and an individual that he couldn’t just leave behind.

“Heya, I’m home.” Caramel opened the door to his house, taking the time to wipe his hooves off just before shutting it.

A mare peeked her head out. “Heya, bro.” It was his sister, Bell Perrin, the town’s bellcaster along with her husband, Caster. Caramel had lived with them since he was a teenager, which had helped since Bell later gave birth to her son, a young colt they named after Caramel himself – kinda made things a little awkward at times when they forgot to call the tyke “Little Caramel”.

“Just put dinner in the oven,” she said with a smile. “Baked asparagus ziti.”

“Sounds good,” he said, heading towards his room.

“You sure you don’t want to talk about it? I can tell something’s on your mind,” Bell asked him.

He thought about it for a second, and then asked, “Bell ... do you think my life’s just not happy? That I deserve to be somewhere far away?”

Bell gave her brother a soft smile. “Look, if this is about you living with us even though you’re an adult now, well, neither Caster or I mind, really. Besides, Little Caramel loves having his uncle around – you two do look alike, y’ know.”

“Maybe. But lately, I’ve been thinking of going off…somewhere where I can find myself and find out who I really am. You know, see the world and all its colors and stuff.”

She chuckled. “Now you’re starting to sound like Paintpot. I swear, that gal’s got brains made of turpentine and acrylic sometimes. But even so, she’s got a point.” Bell went over and put a hoof on her brother’s wither. “You know, why don’t you hit the bar tonight? Go see your friends and really think about whether or not you want to do this.”

“And if I do?” he asked her.

“If you do, well, you do have enough money to wander a little – remember that trust fund our parents left us? It’s just sitting in the Royal Equestrian Bank, gathering dust, and personally, Caster and I make enough to keep us comfortable – hell, just fixing the school’s bell from when those three fillies tried to be bellringers landed us a heap of bits after the mayor paid us to fix it.”

“Yeah, I think I’ll do that, then. If nothing else, maybe they’ll give me a clue.”

Later that night, Caramel and his friends sat in the local bar, tossing back ciders and joking, for the most part. That was at least until Caramel told them about his plans. Then things got a lot more serious.

“Dude,” Goldengrape said, “if you’re doing this just to get a girl, my sister’s single.”

Caramel sighed. “Yes, and Berry’s still getting over her divorce and has a kid. Your sister’s hot, but I don’t think I’m ready for something like that yet,” he demurred.

Emerald Ray finished taking a drink from his cider and suggested, “What about that babe, Bell Perrin? She’s got a plot that just won’t quit.”

Caramel’s eyes narrowed. “One, she’s married. Two, she’s my sister. What is wrong with you?”

“She’s your sister? Oh, man, sorry, didn’t know. Anyway, is she single?”

“Caramel, ignore stupid here,” Thunderlane, the last of the group, said as he smacked Emerald Ray in the head. “If this taking a year to travel and go find yourself is what you need, well, Ponyville and the rest of us will still be here when you get back.” He signaled to the bartender for another round and insisted, “Hell, if I wasn’t so tied down with my fiancée, I’d go with you.”

“Yeah, but you’ve got Blossomforth, dude – that’s more than enough for anypony.”

Thunderlane laughed, and as the cider arrived, he passed them out to his friends. “So, when are you going?”

“By the end of the week,” Caramel commented. “If I don’t leave by that point, then I’ll never get going.”

“Well, then, here’s to your trip,” Thunderlane announced, taking his cider mug. “To Caramel and his travels – may we get to read interesting letters and not have to head to a jail in Dodge Junction to bail him out.” Four mugs were clinked and at that night, a promise was made.

It took longer than a week for Caramel to get ready, he had to admit. First there was resigning from his job at Sweet Apple Acres; Applejack had thought it was some whining over needing higher pay, but between him and Big Mac, they’d explained it and she finally and reluctantly accepted his resignation. Then there was checking the trust fund and making sure he could access it at any of the dozens of branches of the Royal Equestrian Bank around the realm, but eventually he was assured of that. Then there was plotting out a general traveling plan; while he just wanted to wander and let him go where his hooves would take him, Bell wanted to make sure she could reach him by flamefax if necessary. Between the two and Caster, they managed a general, though not precise, route. Finally, there was the comforting of Little Caramel, who didn’t want to see his uncle go. The young colt cried himself to sleep that night and the thought alone gave Caramel much to think about by the time he went to bed himself.

But finally the day came, and the moment dawn rose, Caramel awoke to the sounds of cooking going on in the kitchen. Heading there, he saw Bell, slaving over the stove, tears in her eyes. The moment she saw him, she smiled sadly. “Never thought this day was going to come,” she admitted, “but you’re a grownup and you deserve to go your own way.”

“You make it sound as if I’m leaving for good,” Caramel said as he sat down at the table.

“In a way, you are. When you come back – if you come back – you won’t be the same as when you left. You’ll be a different Caramel, and the little brother I knew will be gone.” She hugged and nuzzled him. “Promise me you won’t change too much?

He embraced her back. “I promise.”



That conversation had been two hours ago. And now, with filled saddlepacks, his old guitar slung to his back and clear skies courtesy of Blossomforth – who said it wouldn’t be a problem, given that Rainbow regularly ignored Weather Service regulations – he moved at a steady pace through the Whitetail Woods, following the old dirt road towards the northeastern fork. The right would take him towards Canterlot, which he had no real intention of going to. The left, however, led to a small village called Gallopway and towards the badlands. However, it seemed to skirt the edge of the Lonely Spire. Which way to go? He wasn’t sure of that, but he figured he’d realize it once he arrived.

However, soon he arrived ... and realized how very wrong he was. The left-hoof path didn’t lead around the spire – it led over it. The right side, while clear, also didn’t have the rugged, adventurous look of the left. In the past, he knew, he would take the right path, because it was the easier, safer path. But the left path was definitely the unknown, though he knew that was safe, too – after the Element Bearers had beaten a dragon that had lived in the cave at the top, the Wonderbolts had established a local guard garrison within the cave. So really, either way was fine ... and that itself presented a quandary: what to do?

He looked up, to see the sky and the sun heading towards its noontime position. He’d have to make a choice soon, if only so he could pitch his tent in a safe spot, or to make it to an inn or at the very least get a decent night’s sleep. But the question still remained: where to go, which path to choose?

As if Celestia herself decided to answer his question, it came to him a moment later. A gorgeously pure white pegasus split the skies, flying higher than any bird would dare. She swooped and soared through the air, an aerial ballet of refinement and dazzling motion that Caramel couldn’t help but stomp his hooves in applause. It seemed to have gotten the pegasus’ attention, because with a dive that would make Rainbow Dash jealous, she came to a stop just above him.

She was, to put it in a single word, breathtaking. From her pure-white coat to her sea-blue and seafoam-colored mane and tail, to her beautiful sea blue eyes, she was an utter thing of beauty. She wore a golden hairband, and saddlepacks as well – was she a traveller along the same road, metaphorically speaking? But most unique about her was her cutie mark: a shooting star moving in a circular motion. As she landed, he noticed she had a manestyle similar to that of Fluttershy; he had to admit, that manestyle made the animal caretaker incredibly cute, and it looked just as affecting on the mare before him.

“Thank you,” she said in a soft voice. “I ... just wanted to fly, stretch my wings a little, you know? Or, maybe you don’t know, because you’re an earth pony. But I think you get the idea anyway.” She offered a hoof to bump. “Hi, I’m Judy Blue Eyes, but you can just call me Judy.”

“Judy Blue Eyes?” he asked as he bumped her hoof. “That’s an unusual name.”

“It’s a type of flower, similar to a black-eyed susan. The judy blue-eyes grows mostly around the Manehattan area. That’s not where I’m from, though.” She eyed his packs. “So, travelling?”

“He nodded. On a journey to find myself and to see Equestria, maybe beyond.” He then went into a short explanation of the reasons he left home and why he was on his journey. “Left Ponyville a dozen miles back. You?”

“Same, actually,” she said with a smile, brushing the hair out of her eyes. “Wanted to get out and find myself. Left home, domineering mother, yadda yadda yadda.” A sudden thought came over her. “Say, want to travel together, even at least for a little while?” He looked at her and there was a smile in her eyes.

“But I’m an earth pony, and you’re a pegasus,” he pointed out. “Won’t I just slow you down?”

“Having friendly company’s much better than just getting faster to your destination,” she countered. “Besides, even though the Lonely Spire’s free of monsters, it can still be dangerous for travellers, and it’s safer to travel in two.”

He thought about it and said, “Sure, c’mon.” Judy let out a cheer and with a flap of her wings, landed at his side. With that, the two headed up towards the slope, beginning their ascent up the mountain.

The rain outside in the night sky howled – this far from Ponyville, the weather was allowed to exist in natural patterns – and that meant a heavy rainstorm during night on the edge of the cliffside. It would have been frightening, but the Wonderbolts patrolling the area had clearly decided to make sure any hikers were safe and so several smaller caves dotting the mountainside had been set up as shelters, complete with food, firewood and all the things needed for a decent camping situation. The equipment was well within the cave, avoiding the weather; and the cave itself had been clearly ensorcelled so that no creature save for ponies could enter.

Caramel, strumming on his guitar, had to admit something: Judy could barbecue the best carrots he’d ever had. She’d offered to do the cooking, and Caramel helped set up both his and her sleeping rolls. About thirty minutes later, he’d been treated to a simple, but delicious feast of the type he hadn’t had in years. He hated to admit it, but even his sister or Granny Smith couldn’t cook on her level. “So, you can cook, huh?”

“I guess,” she said as she washed off the cooking supplies and readied to put them back in the storage box for the next set of hikers. Seeing his guitar, she asked, “So, can you play, or is that thing just for show?”

His response was to start strumming on the instrument. He wasn’t much of a singer, never claimed to be. But he did know how to play a guitar and a banjo, something he learned during his stupid time trying to woo Octavia Melody before he found out she was a marelover. Even still, he’d kept up with it afterwards and even though he’d never win a mare just based on his musical skills, it was a nice thing to have, as the sounds echoed within the cave like a self-created symphony.

When he was done, she cooed. “That ... was ... awesome!” she squealed. “I wish I had talent like that!”

“You think so?”

“Yeah! If I could do that sort of thing…well, Mother would think it to be far more useful than just cooking.”

“Maybe, but it was your cooking that saved the day,” Caramel pointed out. “Honestly, I’ve never had anything as good, and if you’re mom’s complaining about that, then she doesn’t know what she’s talking about. What does your dad think?”

Judy turned away, her eyes reflecting pain. “I…I don’t know who my father is,” she told him. “Mother says that he left us when I was young. Maybe that’s why she’s always so angry and domineering. Well, no matter. I’m my own mare, and I’m doing this for me.”

“Know the feeling, that I do,” Caramel said as he set down his guitar. “Well, I’m guessing we should get some sleep; long day tomorrow if we’re going to try to make it to the other side of the mountain.”

She nodded as she crawled into her bedroll as he did the same. “Good night, Caramel.”

“Night, Judy. Oh, and thanks.”

“Thanks? For what?”

“I was almost headed towards the Canterlot path when I saw you. Glad I changed my mind.”

She smiled winsomely and the flickering fire gave it an otherworldly look. “I’m glad you did, too. Night.”