• Published 2nd Mar 2016
  • 1,278 Views, 20 Comments

Mediocronomicon - NorrisThePony



A collection of flashfics, random vignettes, contest submissions, half-baked horror ideas, and more.

  • ...
4
 20
 1,278

Dear Elements of Harmony

Author's Note:

Consider this a random string of thought character piece from before I decided that I was going to ignore the S9 finale from all of my writing endeavours.


Dear Elements of Harmony,

Good day, my little ponies. I hope this letter is finding you well... as well as one can be while still shaking off the last remants of stress and fear that have no doubt framed the past few weeks. It has been a trying time in a nation that, by time this letter reaches you, I can no longer call my own.

By time this letter has been sent, I will already be aboard an airship with my dear sister, leaving my old home of Canterlot behind. Not something I would have envisioned any quill of mine claiming any time soon, but it is with cautious anticipation that I look forwards to this next chapter in my life.

And yet, opening another chapter in one's life carries with it a sort of bittersweet undertone. It requires closing another one, and saying farewell to it for as far as our interpretation of our futures may carry. As I walk through the quieted halls of the Canterlot Palace, these bittersweet emotions only grow stronger. The more that they envelop me, the more I know I must pen them down before I say goodbye to this old castle.

I owe the seven of you ponies (and dragon!) a level of thanks that I don't believe any letter of mine could sufficiently express. But I will do my best to regardless. This letter is meant to be read by all of you, together. Attached are separate, more personal letters, for each of you to read at whatever level of privacy you so desire. Nonetheless, this letter and the statements within are intended for what I believe to be the strongest and most inspiring group of friends ponies I have ever met in my nearly-three thousand years of life.

You have spread kindness to corners of Equestria I never would have imagined our hooves even touching. You have taken ponies who would have done unspeakable things to this nation for selfish gain, and offered them friendship when none others would. You have helped eachother overcome the impossible, and have helped eachother grow beyond your and my wildest dreams.

There was a point in time about a decade and a half ago when my heart felt so much colder than it does now. The idea that I would ever be penning words with so much earnestness and passion would have been foreign to me then. The Princess Celestia of those times was one who looked to her own future with fear and worry, because she did not know what lay there, and knew not if she would be alone in facing it.

The thousandth anniversary of Nightmare Moon's banishment was rapidly approaching. Every year for the final century, I watched the years creep closer and closer. Sand in an hourglass that to anypony else would have seemed infinite, but to me it was time rapidly speeding by. And that time was time spent worrying of what might come. I was so eager to see my sister again, but the closer it came to her return, the more I feared what would come of her return. I knew she would despise me. I knew that the time that had passed for me would not have passed for her. The fury that had motivated her to strike at me a thousand years ago would be rekindled once again. And I didn't wish to face her. I knew that whatever fate she had decided for me would be the one I would accept. If she would have desired to end my life on the Thousandth Year Anniversary of the Summer Sun Celebration, then I would have died on that day. I could never fight her a second time. I could never have that strength or that weakness a second time.

But time does not care for such worries. It crept closer, and I knew that the time for me to die might be approaching.

And then, a miracle happened. Over lunch, no less. From the windows of Canterlot Palace, a mighty light of every colour had exploded across the skies of Equestria. A discharge of Harmony Magic never before or since recorded had erupted over the skies of Cloudsdale that day.

And mere minutes after it had, I first laid eyes on the pony now stepping into the hoof-shoes I am leaving behind.

Every day after that one was one where hope and happiness has gradually thawed whatever my heart had become over a thousand years divided from my dear sister. Suddenly, the Thousandth Anniversary of her vanishment was no longer a date to fear. It was a date to look towards with growing anticipation.

From the sidelines, I watched. I watched as the conduits of that incredible burst of Harmony Magic grew. I watched a brave and foolish young pegasus flier start to dream of one day becoming a legend to inspire other starry-eyed foals and fillies like herself. I watched as a shy and brave filly left the clouds behind to form friendships with the voiceless creatures of this land, and through doing so show them that they would never have to fear being alone.

I watched two starry-eyed earth ponies, feeling trapped in torpor, realize that their hearts did not have to travel far to grow. I watched as they learned that sometimes the closest and most important friends are the ones we are born with, and that every parent needs their foals as much as their foals need them. I watched a beautiful heart as it grew to become a generous one. As she learned that beauty is best shared, and that there is no greater joy than that of giving.

And... I watched as a nervous filly grew into a nervous young mare. So frightened of herself, of others. Of disappointing. But her pursuit of friendship and of knowledge was stronger than those fears, and with the friendships she had made, she continued to grow past them into the mare she is now.

To say I am proud of you seven is not enough. To say I hope to one day be as strong or as wise or as kind as any single one of you is a hope I imagine much of Equestria shares. You have inspired me to be a better leader for my nation. You have inspired me to be a better sister. I have grown so much from the lessons you have learned and shared, and I know I am not alone. You are the seven best ponies (and dragon!) in my life and I am so grateful to have met you.

Your humble friend forever,

Celestia.

Comments ( 3 )

it is with cautious anticipation that I look forwards to this next chapter in my life.

It’s the little details like that in her language that really show what a mark this outcome would’ve left on her. It just feels completely unthinkable for the circumstances to lead to this; it reads like she’s in a state of shock.

11474391
It's just what happens when I get into the head of a character while writing about a plot thread I dislike

That was a good chapter.

Login or register to comment