• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 2,557 Views, 56 Comments

An Understanding Heart - Alaborn



No magic can cause a cutie mark to appear before its time, but an understanding heart can help.

  • ...
1
 56
 2,557

Apple Bloom

An Understanding Heart
By Alaborn

Standard disclaimer: This is a not for profit fan work. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is copyright Hasbro, Inc. I make no claim to any copyrighted material mentioned herein.

Chapter 7: Apple Bloom


Apple Bloom trotted along the dirt road leading from Sweet Apple Acres to Ponyville proper. It was a beautiful morning, and the yellow filly always found the walk to be invigorating, even when the weather was not as beautiful. The only thing Apple Bloom found wrong with morning is that she wasn’t sharing it with her two best friends. “It’s too bad Scootaloo and especially Sweetie Belle don’t appreciate the morning,” she thought. Why, she had already done an hour’s worth of chores and had a good breakfast with her family before they even woke up!

The walk to school was typically uneventful, with only a few adult ponies active in town at this hour. Apple Bloom could normally count on seeing Thatch the street sweeper, Newsy at the Ponyville Newsstand, and Perky, selling coffee from her cart. What was not normal was seeing a familiar pony in a bit of trouble. “Howdy, Mr. Open Book!” Apple Bloom called.

The older earth pony was staring unproductively at a broken one-pony cart. Its contents, most noticeably a pair of simple wooden ramps, had already been removed, and the cart itself turned on its side. “Good morning, Apple Bloom,” he said.

“What’s wrong, mister?” Apple Bloom asked.

“It looks like the axle snapped, and I’m not sure how to fix it,” he replied. “That’s the last time I rent a used cart from a salespony who feels the need to append “Honest” to his name.”

“’Honest’ Ollie Ox?” the filly asked.

Open Book nodded. “He really wanted me to buy this cart, even though I only needed it for today,” he said. “Now I see why.”

“Ah see why mah sister won’t do business with him,” the filly said. She took a closer look at the broken axle. “Yep, that’s gonna have to get replaced,” she assessed. Apple Bloom looked at the scraps of wood and tools amidst the cart’s contents. “But maybe Ah could get it workin’ for just today.”

Open Book watched as the filly worked scrap wood, nails, and twine into a rough brace for the axle, something like setting a broken leg. The result wasn’t pretty, and it certainly wasn’t a permanent fix, but it looked like it would last at least long enough to get to school. Once Apple Bloom finished her repairs, he carefully righted the cart, and tested the wheels. The axle held.

“Apple Bloom, would you keep an eye on the axle as I load the cart again?” Open Book asked. “Do keep clear, though,” he warned.

“Gotcha,” the filly replied.

Open Book gently loaded the cart. He didn’t hear anything that sounded like wood snapping, which he took for a good sign. Glancing back at the filly, he saw her nodding approvingly. He finally hitched himself to the cart, and gave a pull. Everything worked.

“I can’t thank you enough, Apple Bloom,” Open Book said.

“It was nothin’,” Apple Bloom replied. The two earth ponies walked in silence for a minute. “Say, what are you doin’ out here so early?” Apple Bloom then asked.

“Why, I’m going to school, just like you,” the counselor said.

“Whaaa?” said Apple Bloom.

“Today, I’m going to speak to your class about the different educational institutions in Canterlot,” Open Book explained. “And after class, I’ll be around to talk, if you have any further questions.”

“But Ah thought you were goin’ to…” Apple Bloom said.

“Yes, I’ll be talking to you at 4 PM, and your friends later,” Open Book interrupted. “But if anypony asks, you can tell them we were talking about Royal Canterlot University.”

“But… but that’s not honest,” Apple Bloom said.

“How will you know for sure what you talked about before you actually talk to me?” Open Book offered. A look of recognition crossed Apple Bloom’s face, and she smiled. “This little lecture is something I like to do when I meet with fillies like you, since most fillies won’t want to say they spoke to a counselor about personal matters.”

“Ah get it,” Apple Bloom said, “but Ah still don’t want to be dishonest.”

“I encourage you to speak openly to your sister and brother,” Open Book said. “They’re your family, and they’re the best ponies for helping you with your problems. Now, if you happen to be speaking with that filly who wears a tiara, you probably want to say something else.”

“Ah know what Ah really want to say to her,” Apple Bloom said, raising a forehoof.

Apple Bloom and Open Book soon arrived at the schoolhouse, the cart surviving the trip. “I’m going to store these items in the office,” the counselor said.

“You don’t need that stuff for class?” said Apple Bloom.

“No, it’s all for you three,” Open Book answered.

“Ah bet those ramps are for Scootaloo and her scooter!” Apple Bloom said.

“That’s right,” Open Book said.

“Ah think you need another piece of wood runnin’ down the underside of those ramps,” Apple Bloom suggested. “If those ramps break, then Scootaloo could get hurt, and Ah don’t want that to happen.”

“I thank you for the warning, Apple Bloom,” Open Book said. “I’ll be sure to fix it.”

Apple Bloom took her usual seat once she arrived at the classroom. The students talked quietly with each other while they waited for class to start. Finally, the bell rang, and Cheerilee stepped inside. “Good morning, class!” she announced cheerily.

“Good morning, Miss Cheerilee,” the class replied in unison.

“Now, class, before we get to today’s math lesson, I have a special treat for you. We have a visitor, all the way from Canterlot.” Cheerilee smiled as the students whispered excitedly. “He’s going to talk to you about all the school options for older ponies in Canterlot. Now, please welcome Open Book.”

The door opened, and the familiar earth pony walked into the room. Apple Bloom tried to make it look like she was seeing him for the first time. She glanced over at her friends, who appeared to be attempting the same thing.

“Thank you, Miss Cheerilee,” Open Book said. “Now, I normally start by telling you about Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. But I suppose you’ve heard all about it already, with a very famous alumna serving as Ponyville’s librarian.” The foals in the class chuckled. “But did you know there’s an entirely different school for older unicorns? After all, the unicorns in the Royal Guard need to learn somewhere!”

Over the next hour, Open Book talked about the guard academies for unicorns and pegasi, the military academy favored by earth ponies, and finally, Royal Canterlot University. The way he talked, the university was like twenty different schools in one! Any number of ponies in Ponyville studied there before becoming the town’s doctors, dentists, nurses, and engineers.

“And if anypony wants to talk to me about their future educational pursuits, I’ll be around during lunch and after school,” Open Book said. “Just come by the spare office next to the principal’s office.”

“Thank you, Open Book,” Cheerilee said. Turning to the class, she said, “Why don’t you all thank Mr. Open Book?” The ponies stomped their hooves in applause.

The older earth pony nodded, and then departed. Cheerilee turned to the class once again. “Now, take out your math textbooks,” she said. A chorus of groans greeted her request.

After school, Apple Bloom walked around the playground. She had an hour to kill before her scheduled appointment with the counselor. The seesaw and swings held no attraction to her this afternoon. Nor did she particularly want to talk to her friends. Apple Bloom sat quietly on the grass. She couldn’t help but be reminded of her failure. She was here, waiting for her appointment, only because she was a blank flank.

Once the position of Celestia’s sun indicated about an hour had passed, she walked into the school. Nervously, she proceeded to the back of the schoolhouse, to the office where Open Book waited. The door was closed. She raised her hoof, steeled her nerves, and knocked.

“Please come in,” the counselor said.

Apple Bloom stepped into the familiar cluttered office. Open Book was sitting in his same chair, his notepad at ready. The filly closed the door behind her, and took a seat.

“Did you have any questions about my lecture?” Open Book asked.

“No, not really,” Apple Bloom replied. “But Ah did wonder, did anypony else come talk to you?”

“A few students,” Open Book said. “Mostly students with fathers serving in the Royal Guard. I think they were interested in a different pony’s perspective on the military academies.”

“Well, Ah guess that’s good,” Apple Bloom said.

“Now that you’ve talked to me about schools in Canterlot, let’s talk about you,” Open Book said.

“Okay,” said the earth pony filly.

“Let’s start with a visualization exercise,” said Open Book. “It’s a year later. You have your cutie mark. It doesn’t matter what it is. What are you doing right now?”

Apple Bloom thought for a moment. “Ah guess Ah’m working at Sweet Apple Acres. Ah’m probably big enough to help with the apple buckin’,” she said.

“What if the symbol on your flank isn’t an apple?” the counselor continued.

“Not an apple? That’s crazy talk,” Apple Bloom said.

“This is just an exercise. If it helps, imagine this is a ‘what if’ scenario, like something out of fiction,” said Open Book.

“Well, Ah still think Ah’ll be helpin’ around the farm. Ah won’t be old enough to be on my own,” said Apple Bloom. “Then Ah guess Ah’d be spendin’ the rest of my time workin’ on my talent.”

“That’s a very mature attitude, Apple Bloom,” Open Book said. “Not every pony recognizes that becoming an adult doesn’t depend on earning one’s cutie mark. It’s a natural consequence of growing older.”

“But if Ah’m so mature, why don’t Ah have my cutie mark?” asked Apple Bloom.

“That’s ultimately for you to discover,” Open Book said. “Right now, I think there’s some kind of psychological block.”

“Cycle-what now?” said Apple Bloom.

“Psychological. In the mind,” explained Open Book. “I think I see evidence in the way you’re going about trying to find your cutie mark. Do you remember the advice that other ponies gave you?” he asked.

“Do lots of things as fast as possible! You’re sure to discover your talents!” said Apple Bloom.

“And?” said Open Book.

“And it hasn’t worked yet?” Apple Bloom offered.

“I was looking to hear some of the other advice you’ve received,” said the counselor.

Apple Bloom stared at Open Book.

“I believe Miss Twilight Sparkle gave you this advice, and I’m sure others have told it to you as well,” said Open Book.

“Do things you’re already good at? But that doesn’t help me at all!” Apple Bloom complained.

Open Book shook his head. “Perhaps it would be best if I told you a story from my youth.”

The weather in Canterlot was arguably at its finest in the early fall. The mugginess of late summer had finally cleared. Celestia’s sun cast its rays upon the alicorn’s beloved subjects, warming their coats. The breezes organized by the pegasi brought the promise of cooler weather with every gust. It was a remarkable meteorological balance, one many ponies in Canterlot took advantage of each weekend.

Two young ponies walked up the hills surrounding Canterlot, rising even higher than the capital city’s lofty elevation. Tall grasses, yellowed after the heat of summer, crunched underhoof. By necessity, the brown earth pony colt walked in silence, a picnic basket’s handle clenched in his teeth. The silver unicorn filly carried her own picnic basket in a pale pink magical aura.

“Awww,” said Apple Bloom. “Was she your special somepony?”

Open Book gazed out the window and sighed wistfully. “I’ll never know. As talented as I am in understanding the hearts of others, my own has quite often remained a mystery to me,” he explained. Setting the memory of potential lost love aside, he said, “Let me continue.”

Reaching a level area, the earth pony caught his friend’s attention, and motioned to the ground. A blanket drifted out of the unicorn’s basket and spread itself on the ground. The two ponies set down their baskets and pulled out sandwiches, vegetable sticks, and bottles of apple juice. There was a break in the trees here. From where the two ponies sat, they had a stunning view of Canterlot, centered on the tallest spire of the royal castle.

“This is a beautiful sight, Open Book,” the unicorn said.

“I thought you’d like it, Silver Shine,” the earth pony replied.

“I don’t know about you, but that hike made me famished!” Silver Shine said.

Open Book could only agree with his companion’s assessment, so he took a bite of his sandwich. Sweet daisies and bitter greens played over his taste buds.

The peaceful meal temporarily took the filly’s mind off her still blank flank. Being with the only other student in her class lacking a cutie mark helped. But as they finished their meal, her worries returned.

“There’s something I want you to see. Something very beautiful,” Open Book said. He pointed to the distant castle. As Celestia’s sun rose directly overhead, its rays fell upon a crystal atop the lofty spire. Light in all colors of the rainbow spread across Canterlot, dancing magically over the whitewashed walls and tiled roofs of the city.

“It is… it is…” Silver Shine said, failing to bring her feelings into a verbal form.

“Words failed me when I saw this beautiful sight for the first time,” Open Book said. As if on cue, the slight movement of the sun caused the rainbow to disappear.

Silver Shine continued to gaze out over Canterlot. When she turned back, she found that Open Book had pulled something else out of his picnic basket. A canvas, paints, and paintbrushes rested on the blanket. “Would you like to preserve that beauty, and allow others to experience it?” the earth pony said to her.

Silver Shine nodded, feeling inspired by the sight. Most ponies knew the unicorn painted in her spare time, and she had received many compliments for her work. She wasn’t going to miss this opportunity. Silver Shine took the easel from Open Book’s picnic basket and set it up, resting the blank canvas on it. With several quick magical movements, she covered a palette with paint and grasped a paintbrush in her telekinetic aura. With bold strokes, she outlined the towers of the castle.

Open Book raised his head as Silver Shine’s movements slowed. “Open Book, I don’t know if I should be…” she started.

“Please, just paint,” Open Book interrupted. “Think only of the image, the beauty. Talk only when you’re happy with your painting.”

Silver Shine nodded and returned to her art. The gentle breeze and the strokes of the unicorn’s paintbrush were the only sounds heard. Open Book stretched out on the blanket, enjoying the sun’s warmth. With a quiet day and a full stomach, he enjoyed a nice afternoon nap.

When Open Book awoke, Silver Shine was still working on her painting. The proud royal castle dominated the canvas. The unicorn was working a wash of rainbow colors into the whites and grays of the walls. The earth pony smiled as he saw not a trace of worry on his friend’s face.

An hour later, Silver Shine finally set down the palette and studied her work. Open Book was impressed by the young artist’s ability to capture the interplay of light and shadow, all with little more than basic art instruction. “Does this work make you happy?” he asked her.

“Yes,” Silver Shine responded.

“Do you want everypony to see it?” Open Book asked.

Silver Shine paused. “My parents…” she said.

Her mother was a magical instructor. Her father was an engineer. Solid and traditional unicorn occupations, just like their parents before them. And their parents’ parents. “Your parents love you. They will support you, no matter what your talent turns out to be,” Open Book said reassuringly.

“But I don’t want to disappoint them,” the unicorn said.

“Why are you convinced they will be disappointed?” Open Book said. “Was it something they told you?”

“No. They keep telling me that they’ll be happy, no matter what my special talent is,” Silver Shine said.

“Do you think they’re lying to you?” Open Book wondered.

“No!” she responded defensively. That’s what she told everypony. But why couldn’t she believe it herself?

“Let’s go home,” Open Book urged. “I’ll help carry your beautiful painting home.”

With the painting carefully tied to his back, Open Book led the way down from the hills. He made sure the painting was always in Silver Shine’s view. By the time they reached the streets of Canterlot, a paintbrush and palette had appeared on Silver Shine’s flank.

Open Book escorted Silver Shine home. Her parents greeted her warmly. He dropped off her painting and waved goodbye. By the time he reached his own home, the image of an open book was on his own flank.

“Silver Shine is a well-respected painter today, with paintings in museums and even the Royal Castle,” explained Open Book.

“That’s a nice story,” Apple Bloom said. “But why are you tellin’ it to me?”

“Silver Shine’s talent was different from her family’s talent. But they loved her and supported her all the same,” Open Book explained. “Your brother and sister will support you, even if your talent is not related to your family’s orchard.”

“But Ah don’t even know what my talent is!” Apple Bloom complained. “That’s why Ah’m here!”

“Did anypony teach you how to fix a broken cart? Or repair a clubhouse?” asked Open Book.

“No,” said Apple Bloom.

“Have you ever built a wooden ramp before?” he continued.

“No,” Apple Bloom said again.

“Building and fixing things is a very useful talent,” Open Book said. “That talent was obvious to me this morning. Your sister noticed it too. Why haven’t you focused on that?”

Apple Bloom looked away. “Ah… Ah don’t want to,” she admitted.

“I’m sorry?” said Open Book.

“Ah said Ah don’t want to!” Apple Bloom bawled. “Sweet Apple Acres is as old as Ponyville. Everything’s old! If that’s mah special talent, Ah’ll never have a free moment ever!”

Open Book regarded the filly, who still wouldn’t look him in the eye. He heard her sniff. Was she crying? He sighed. He was sure he was on the verge of Apple Bloom breaking through her barrier. But this reaction was not what he expected.

The counselor checked the clock. He had a few more minutes before Sweetie Belle’s appointment. But he wasn’t going to be able to help Apple Bloom any further.

“I think we’ll need to talk again,” said Open Book.