• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 2,566 Views, 56 Comments

An Understanding Heart - Alaborn



No magic can cause a cutie mark to appear before its time, but an understanding heart can help.

  • ...
1
 56
 2,566

Twilight at Twilight

An Understanding Heart
By Alaborn

Standard disclaimer: This is a not for profit fan work. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is copyright Hasbro, Inc. I make no claim to any copyrighted material mentioned herein.

Chapter 6: Twilight at Twilight


Open Book was glad to be staying in the spare room of Ponyville’s library. Not only did the accommodations not strain his budget, but it offered him plenty to read and an intelligent mare to talk with.

Yet there was something curiously missing from his previous conversations with Twilight Sparkle. Now, not talking much on his first night in Ponyville was expected. Open Book had spent much of the evening speaking with Cheerilee, and arranging the meetings with the adults he had just finished interviewing, so Twilight Sparkle had little time to do anything but show him his room and help him find a book to read before retiring that evening. The previous night, however, he had spoken extensively with Twilight Sparkle. They had reminisced about Canterlot, speaking of favorite haunts, street vendors, parades, and all the differences between life in Ponyville and life in the capital.

Yet they didn’t talk about a rather important topic. “We didn’t speak one word about the Cutie Mark Crusaders,” Open Book realized. The unicorn was obviously friendly with the three fillies. It was time to get her insight.

“Welcome back,” Twilight Sparkle said as Open Book returned to the library. “How was your day?” she asked.

“It was quite informative,” the counselor replied. “Tomorrow, I’m going to speak to each filly individually, and what I learned from their friends and family will help me understand what’s stopping each of them from uncovering their talents.”

“That’s good to hear,” Twilight Sparkle responded. “Now, have you given any thought to dinner? I have several restaurants I could recommend.”

“I just had tea with Rarity, so I’ll start thinking about dinner later,” Open Book said. “That gives me time to talk to you about the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Do you have a few minutes?”

Twilight Sparkle looked mildly surprised. “Me? But I don’t know them all that well,” she said.

Open Book considered the unicorn. “The day I arrived in town, they were outside the library. You helped them find the trampoline, right?” Open Book said.

“Yes,” Twilight Sparkle admitted, “but… I don’t want to get in the way of your work.”

“Nonsense,” said the counselor. “I have a feeling there’s something that, deep down, you want to tell me. You’d only help me if you talked to me about these three fillies.”

Twilight Sparkle sat down on the couch. “It’s just that… I don’t know if they’ve learned the most important lesson yet,” she said.

Open Book took a seat in a comfortable chair opposite the couch and pulled out his notepad. “And what would that be?” he asked.

“’Try doing things you’re already good at.’ Everypony knows that, right? I’ve reminded them of that fact twenty-two times,” Twilight Sparkle said.

Open Book raised an eyebrow. “Twenty-two? You know the exact count? Do you have an eidetic memory, Miss Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight Sparkle laughed nervously. “Oh, nothing like that,” she said. “It’s just that I remember giving them that advice after their performance in the school talent show. Then I added a monthly reminder to my schedule to talk to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and every time, I’ve reminded them. Twenty-one months have passed, so that’s twenty-two times.”

“That’s… a remarkable level of organization,” the counselor said. “Your advice is sound, Miss Twilight Sparkle. How have the fillies taken that advice?”

The unicorn scratched her chin with her hoof. “They haven’t taken it to heart,” she admitted. “When their serious musical performance won an award for best comedy performance, that’s when I first suggested they focus on what they’re already good at. But instead, they tried their hoof at comedy. All sorts of comedy. Stand-up comedy, marionettes, ventriloquism, mime—I still don’t think Rarity has forgiven Sweetie Belle for taking all her white powder makeup—comedic theater, you name it.”

“From what I’ve heard from everypony I’ve talked with, that’s normal behavior for the Cutie Mark Crusaders,” Open Book said. He paused before continuing. “Do you think they were unaware of the difference between deliberate comedy and accidental comedy?”

“That’s a much nicer way of saying it than I was thinking,” Twilight Sparkle said. “That the ponies were laughing at them, not with them. When I was their age, I may not have noticed, but no one is as big a dork as I was as a filly.”

“I’m afraid I’m seeing a pattern of avoidance behavior, like they’re using all this crusading to avoid doing what they must,” Open Book said. “You seem to have noticed, too. Yet you found them a trampoline, right?”

“I conjured it with a spell,” Twilight Sparkle clarified.

“You helped them even though you suspect it won’t help them earn their cutie marks?” said Open Book.

“Well, I’m willing to help anypony in need, even if it’s just going to end up a fun activity for the afternoon.” Twilight Sparkle paused. “Oh, no, am I an enabler?” she wondered.

“Miss Twilight Sparkle, have you been reading any books on psychology?” asked Open Book.

“Yes,” she replied. “I always feel that being conversant in….”

“Don’t.”

Twilight Sparkle reacted to the counselor as if he had asked her to divide by zero. Her mind was trapped examining something so profoundly illogical—reading was the wrong thing to do?”

Open Book tapped his notepad against the side of his chair, snapping Twilight Sparkle to attention. “What I mean is that when a pony reads a book on psychology, she immediately starts diagnosing herself with any number of conditions,” he explained. “Or worse, diagnosing her friends. I’m thrilled you’ve taken an interest in my field. Just don’t overreact.”

“I see,” said Twilight Sparkle.

“For the record, I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong. Had you not helped the fillies two days ago, they wouldn’t have gone and practiced their strongest talents. I think it’s admirable that everypony in town has helped them develop a strong friendship,” said the counselor.

“I’m hearing a but coming,” Twilight Sparkle commented.

“But the very strength of their friendship is hurting their own ability to overcome whatever’s stopping them from uncovering their talents,” said Open Book.

“What is it?” asked Twilight Sparkle.

“I don’t know,” Open Book admitted. “I hope to find out when I speak to each of them, individually, tomorrow. I have some ideas, but… I’ll need a few unusual supplies before the morning.”

“Go on,” said Twilight Sparkle, curious.

“Some boards, a hammer, nails, a saw… normal woodworking equipment,” the counselor said.

“I have some boards here—we have a few more windows break than normal thanks to a certain pegasus’ aerial maneuvers—but I’ll have to take you to the hardware store for the rest,” said the unicorn.

“A book or two of poetry, and another about music,” Open Book continued.

“You’re in the right place for that,” said Twilight Sparkle.

“A one-pony cart. One that’s not in good condition.” Twilight Sparkle looked ready to interject, but Open Book quickly continued, “Trust me.”

“I think I know where to go,” said Twilight Sparkle.

“And finally, something more personal,” said Open Book. “There are several ponies I helped in my youth. I have a feeling some of their tales are particularly relevant to the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Yet my memories have faded with the years. I’m now the one who needs help. Do you know any spells that can help me remember?”