• Published 2nd Mar 2016
  • 3,814 Views, 157 Comments

March-makers - ObabScribbler



A collection of one-shots based around pairings randomly chosen by spinning the Wheel of Shipping.

  • ...
12
 157
 3,814

PreviousChapters Next
Day 6: Spitfire/Flash Sentry (romance/sadfic)

Title: Goodbyes Are Not Forever - Except When They Are

Pairing: Flash Sentry/Spitfire


“You’re sure this is what you want?”

“Yes, I’m sure.”

She would not cry. She refused to cry. She was a Wonderbolt, damn it. Wonderbolts did not cry over some stupid stallion with rocks in his head. She would be stoic. She would be resigned. She would be–

“Please don’t go.”

Damn it all!

Flash stopped in the doorway, suitcase dangling from his mouth. He set it down in the corridor outside her room and looked back at her. “This isn’t goodbye forever. I’ll have leave. I’ll be back before you know it. We can spend Hearth’s Warning together, just like we planned. You can come visit my family in Cloudsdale –”

“But you won’t be here all the time.” She cursed herself inwardly but that didn’t stop her runaway mouth. “It won’t be the same. I … I’m going to miss you so much.”

He sighed and came back into her room. “Spitfire, you know why I can’t stay. This isn’t the life I want. I thought it was, but …”

She nodded, a hard lump in her throat. She had probably known before he did. Where she and the other trainees had relished their aerial display training, he had rarely smiled during routines. He was good – very good – but there was no heart in what he did. As much as she hated to admit it, this was not the career for him.

“Royal Guards don’t get a lot of leave,” she murmured.

He pulled her towards him, placing his forehead against hers. She could feel his voice thrumming through her skull when he spoke. “Neither do Wonderbolts.”

“I’m just a reserve.”

“Not for long. You’re better than good, Spitfire. We both know you’re destined for great things. Who knows?” He smiled. “Maybe someday I’ll be able to tell my guard buddies that my girlfriend is captain of the Wonderbolts.”

She shoved lightly at his chest. “Idiot.” Her smiled faded. “I’ll write to you every day.”

“Likewise.”

“No you won’t. You hate writing.” She pressed the flat of her hoof under his chin, bringing his mouth up for a kiss. “Once a week though. Promise?”

“Promise.” He leaned in for another kiss. “I’m going to miss these most of all.”

“Yo, Flash, your transport is going to leave without you if you don’t – oh!”

Spitfire’s hoof fell to the floor. “He’ll be right out, Soarin’.”

“I didn’t see anything!” came the distant cry from down the dorm corridor. “Certainly not you two eating face!”

Flash trotted to his suitcase and looked back at her.

She couldn’t go down to the foyer and see him board the transport. She couldn’t be that strong. Everypony would see her bawl like a baby. She would lose everyone’s respect. She blinked rapidly, already fighting back tears.

He must have seen the sheen across her eyes in the dim light. Or maybe he just knew her well enough not to ask her to wave him off.

“Goodbye.” He picked up his case and left.

“Goodbye.” She half raised a hoof. Set it down. Dropped her head. “I love you,” she whispered.

PreviousChapters Next