• Published 25th Apr 2020
  • 286 Views, 7 Comments

King of the Court - KingYakko5991



Lightning is a self proclaimed basketball prodigy and the new guy at CHS. Not only does he earn a spot on the school's basketball team, but he has his heart set on a certain fiery haired girl as well.

  • ...
 7
 286

Gym Time!

I make my way to the boys’ locker room and find an empty locker in the back, next to this guy with black skin who was changing his shirt. I start taking out my uniform and change my shirt when he notices me next to him. “New guy, huh?” he asks, turning to look at me with ruby red eyes.

“Yup.” I simply reply.

“Name’s Crystal Shadow.” He stands up and extends his hand, revealing his towering height as he does so. I mean, I’m no short guy at just over 6 feet, but this guy towers even me.

“Lightning Blitz,” I say shaking his hand. “So, what’s this class like? Any good?”

“Yeah it’s usually pretty tolerable when our actual teacher, Mr. Kulick, is here,” he says, running a hand through his gray hair. “But on days like today where we have a sub, we almost always play dodgeball, sometimes kickball if the sub feels like it. Turns into a complete brawl half the time.”

“I see.”

“Yeah. We were supposed to start our basketball unit today, but of course Kulick wasn’t here today. I was really looking forward to it too.”

“Damn, that’s unlucky.”

“It really is.” We continue our small talk as we finish getting changed. Apparently Crystal here has played on the basketball team for CHS every year he’s been here, which seems pretty cool to me. We head out to the actual gym once everyone is ready. Sure enough, there are dodgeballs lined up at the center, waiting to be thrown across the gym at people. As the sub does a quick attendance, I try to look over at the girls in the class that obviously weren’t in the boys’ locker room. Ya know, just to see if anyone I met so far has gym with me. No other reason, I swear. Sadly, I don’t see anyone familiar, which is a bummer, but at least there’s Crystal, who seems pretty cool.

The sub tells us to pick sides and even out. Me and Crystal end up taking the same side, which is cool with me. Much better to have someone like him as an ally rather than an enemy in dodgeball. As the two sides of the gym even out, everyone gets ready for the whistle. It blows and everyone rushes towards the center to try and grab a ball. And so, the gym slowly turns into a battlefield. Balls whip back and forth from either side. The sound of balls hitting walls and bodies exploding. It’s like I’m in a Black Ops 3 deathmatch or something.

I manage to stay alive for a good while, and so does Crystal. I dodge a ball, then another, then catch a third that was headed for my face. Not today, bud. I whip the ball back and it domes this guy who wasn’t paying attention. I do a little celebratory fist pump to myself as this super bulk looking guy with blonde hair picks up a ball. His red eyes filled with determination, he throws a ball across the gym and it hits this guy right in the gut. Looks like it hurt, but the guy seems to walk it off just fin-

YEAH!” the bulk guy on my team screams, not directly at me but it might as well have been. Crystal whips a ball at someone, but then this athletic looking girl catches it and he’s out. I look around to notice that on my team, it’s just me and the bulk guy while on the other it’s the athletic girl and some other big dude. I look over to my teammate and say “We got this, dude.”

YEAH!” he screams again, louder than last time. The athletic girl goes to throw a ball at me and I prepare to catch it. It flies at me fast, a little too fast, but before it makes contact, the bulk guy reaches out an arm and catches it with one hand. He gives me a fist bump as the girl walks off to the side, looking a bit annoyed. But the huge guy on the other team whips a ball in our direction. It hammers my teammate right in the face and he actually falls over from it, leaving me in complete shock. I snap out of it just in time to dodge a second ball headed right for my head. The boom of the ball hitting the wall echoes throughout the entire gym. This guy is trying to kill me, I think to myself. The atmosphere of the gym changes, and all of a sudden it’s like I’m a cowboy ready for a showdown at high noon. Me and the other guy glare at each other, both of us holding a ball in each hand. The guy stands tall and large, not as tall as Crystal, but definitely larger than the guy on my team. Sweat glistening off his tan face, his brown eyes full with aggression, this guy really meant business.

Another bullet of a ball heads towards me and I manage to duck under it, feeling the wind from it whoosh right over my head. I whip a ball back at him as hard as I can, and it flies pretty quickly, but he dodges it with ease. “Too slow!” his taunting voice yells at me. For some reason, that really irks me. I toss the other ball to my right hand, my dominant hand, and try again. This time I put all of my body into my right arm and throw even harder than before. The ball probably flies the tiniest bit faster. A surprise to no one, the guy dodges it again. Then this grin creeps up on his face as he whips his last ball at me. It goes by too fast for me to react to and I get smacked right in the face. The whistle blows again signaling the end of the game, and my face is stinging. The guy chuckles as he prepares for the next game

“You good, Blitz?” I hear Crystal call out to me.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I say. Really, I am though.

“That’s good. One hell of an introduction from Chester, I’d say.”

“Chester?”

“Yeah. Chester Broastmen. He’s the school jock and a complete dick to everyone. You know, typical, ‘I can beat everyone in everything and need to prove it’ type of guy.”

“Ah. I see.” We prepare for the next game. But then Crystal turns to the bulk guy who was on my team.

“You good, Bulk Biceps?” he asks.

YEAH!” he replies. I look at Crystal.

“Does that guy know any word other than yeah?” He just chuckles at my question.

“Guess you’ll just have to wait and find out, huh?” With that, we prepare for the next game. Everyone lines up for the balls in the center and… off goes the whistle. The second game goes much smoother. I actually get way more people out this time, even that athletic girl that got Crystal out in the first game. Yet despite all this, I still find myself face to face with the jock, Chester Broastmen in the end. Same situation as before, in fact, I even hear someone whistle the theme to the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Nice to see I’m not the only movie nerd here. I take another look at Chester, and just the sheer size of this man. There’s no way I can take him head on, he’d just out athlete me everytime, if that’s even a thing. But I might be able to outsmart him…

I decided to play the patient game with him. I wait until he throws his two balls, barely managing to dodge both of them. But when he glances at the two balls in my hand, that awful grin from earlier creeps back onto his face. I’m gonna have to nickname that the Chester Grin or something. “COME ON, SLIM JIM!” he yells. “LET’S SEE WHAT YOU’RE MADE OF!” Alright, well he asked for it. I throw the ball in my right hand low, then throw the ball in my left in the opposite direction, a bit higher. I try to curve the second ball as best as I can but don’t exactly get what I wanted. Still, Chester dodges the first ball and in the process gets smacked in the face by the second. The whistle blows, signaling the end of the game once more. This time I fist pump much more obviously and let out a big “Yes!” Some people in the class actually cheer a little for me while others look in shock.

Chester gets up,brushes violently past me and heads towards the locker room. But now that I look around, I see that a lot of others are heading back as well. Class must be over already. Crystal comes over and slaps me on the back. “Dude,” he starts. “That was-”

“Awesome!” He’s suddenly cut off by this raspy voice. We turn to see this blue girl with rainbow hair, the athletic looking girl from earlier, approaching, looking at me with awe in her magenta colored eyes. “You really showed him!” she says. Giving me a punch on the shoulder.

“Thanks,” I say, rubbing my arm. It kinda hurt from that.

“Name’s Rainbow Dash,” she says.

“Lighting Blitz,” I reply.

“Well, Blitz, seems like you’re gonna make this gym class pretty interesting if you can keep up with Chester like that!” She says, giving me a wink. Not sure of what else to say, or think for that matter, I just simply reply with a thanks. With that, me and Crystal head back over to the boys locker room. “That was pretty sick out there,” he says to me. “But you might wanna watch out though. Chester doesn’t exactly like people showing him up, especially in anything athletic.” I then look over to catch a glance of him staring me down in the locker room. Great. Just perfect. I look back to Crystal.

“Well, thanks for the heads up man.”

“Yeah, no problem,” he says chuckling. With that, we head out of the locker room. Up next is one that I’m really looking forward to now. After that gym class, I’m starving. I’m honestly glad that I can say that we make out way over to the cafeteria for lunch now.

Author's Note:

Hey I told you guys I was working on something! Here we are, chapter 3, out in the wild for all of you guys to enjoy. Hopefully. lol

Anyway, as always, like, dislike, comment feed back and constructive criticism. Hope you
all enjoyed and I'll catch you guys in the next one! :pinkiesmile: