• Published 5th Jun 2016
  • 537 Views, 12 Comments

Lilligold and Mizuko's Neighponese Tale - Razalon The Lizardman



Two mares are on a simple quest for cherry blossom samples, and the universe will throw everything and the kitchen sink at them to make it not so simple.

  • ...
0
 12
 537

Meeting With An Ancient Deity

A red archway marked the entrance to the trail leading up Inari-sama’s mountain to his personal sanctuary. Similar archways could be seen along the trail through the foliage covering the mountain. On either side of the entrance was a stone kitsune statue, wearing traditional red yodarekake. Everything marking the entrance was incredibly well-maintained, showing almost no signs of wear and tear from centuries of age. Whatever maintenance servants Inari had must've been exceptional at their jobs.

“So, this is Inari’s mountain?” Lilligold asked, her expression grim as she tracked her eyes up the very winding, very steep mountain trail. “Are we going to have to walk all the way up?”

Mizuko simply nodded, and stepped onto the trail.

Lilligold sighed, and followed after her. “Of course we do.”

The path was as well-maintained as the entrance, as not a single tree root obstructed the pair of mares as they ascended the wooden steps leading up the mountain. Inari-sama’s servants really do good work with maintenance.

As they hiked, Mizuko’s mind was abuzz with speculation. What could Inari-sama really want with Lilligold? Nothing about her seemed especially remarkable. She appeared to be an average mainland Equestrian mare on all outward appearances. Travelling to a foreign land just for some flower petals was unusual, true, but nothing that could prompt Inari-sama to want to speak with her personally. The temptation to ask Lilligold what exactly she wanted cherry blossoms for grew stronger as the hike wore on, but she always resisted the urge to ask. It was none of her business to know, and Lilligold didn’t seem like the kind of mare who’d want to freely discuss personal matters. Once they reached the top she would get to learn what he wants with her anyway.

“Mizuko?”

Mizuko turned around to see a slightly red-in-the-face Lilligold sagging behind her, her legs looking about ready to buckle. “I take it you’re tired?” she asked.

Lilligold nodded. “Yeah, can we stop and rest for a bit?” she said with a tired smile. “I’m not really used to mountain hiking.”

“It’s okay, we can take a break over there.” Mizuko pointed to a rocky bench a short ways up the path.

“Thank you,” Lilligold said with a slight pant.

They headed over to the bench and sat down. Lilligold practically threw herself onto the bench, haphazardly splaying her legs out with a satisfied grunt.

“My legs have never felt this sore,” she said between deep, exhausted gasps.

“Can you handle another half mile?” Mizuko asked.

Lilligold groaned before replying. “Only after I’ve taken a good long rest.”

“Okay.”

Lilligold continued lying on the bench for a few moments, until she found the strength to hoist herself up to sit properly. While waiting for the aching in her bones to subside, she busied herself with checking out their surroundings. All the beautiful greenery of the mountain forest was enough to melt the stress in her body away and replace it with a great sense of calm. Being surrounded by so many trees wasn’t something she was used to back in Elmshire. Growing unique and numerous plants in a desert setting isn’t ideal, but she managed just fine with her shop. This was the first time in awhile that she got to truly experience the best of nature.

“It’s so beautiful out here,” she whispered. A sudden thought occurred to her, and she turned to Mizuko. “Can I ask you something?”

Mizuko returned her gaze. “What?”

“Have you ever seen any interesting underwater plants when diving?”

Mizuko cocked a brow. “What do you mean by ‘interesting’?”

Lilligold shrugged. “I don’t know, just something that’s out of the norm.”

“... You do realize that, since we’re from different parts of the world, we have different definitions of what’s ‘out of the norm’?”

Lilligold opened her mouth to respond, but stopped and thought for a moment before her cheeks turned a light red. “Oh, right.”

Mizuko smiled. “If you’re interested, you can charter my boat and I’ll take you out to see if there’s any underwater plants that catch your interest.”

Lilligold nodded. “I’ll think about it.”

Mizuko paused to consider something. Lilligold seemed to be feeling much better than she had before. She just demonstrated a willingness to talk about her apparent obsession with plants, even, so asking her what she wanted with cherry blossoms might not be so uncalled for after all.

“... Lilligold?”

“Yeah?”

Mizuko silently prayed she hadn’t misread Lilligold’s demeanor. “Why do you want cherry blossoms?”

Lilligold blinked. “I thought I told you I needed samples.”

“But what do you need samples for?”

“Oh, well, it’s for my special talent.” She gestured to her cutie mark. “I grow new breeds of magical plants.”

“So you’re a botanist?”

“Mhmm, I got my cutie mark when I used a water purification spell on a Tiger Lily, creating a lily made out of water which I call the Purewater Lily.” She chuckled. “Really useful for those without a lot of water to spare.”

Mizuko’s face morphed to one of surprise. “A plant that waters itself?”

Lilligold nodded.

“... Amazing.”

Lilligold smiled, before her face switched to a curious expression. “Can I ask you one more thing?”

"Sure."

Lilligold shot a brief glance up the mountain trail, biting her lip as worry etched itself across her muzzle. “What’s Inari like as a ruler?”

The question surprised Mizuko at first, but it quickly dawned on her that it only made sense for Lilligold to ask it. Of course she would want to know what Inari-sama was like so she would know how not to accidentally insult him. She took a moment to ponder over all of what she knew about her country’s ruler before replying.

“Inari-sama is more reclusive than Princess Celestia; it’s been awhile since he made any sort of public appearance. I’ve never seen him for myself, let alone spoken with him, but he does ask to speak with ponies personally from time to time.” Mizuko decided not to let Lilligold know that Inari-sama mostly summoned corrupt business owners to straighten them out. “If you’re worried about what he might have to say to you, I can promise you that he’s as fair and just as Princess Celestia. If he wasn’t, our ancestors wouldn’t have readily agreed to live under his rule after immigrating here from the mainland.”

Lilligold breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s good to hear. I haven’t met Princess Celestia, but I know I’d be a nervous wreck if I had to.” She turned to Mizuko with a hopeful expression. “You’ll help me not look stupid, right?”

Mizuko nodded. “He asked me to be the translator, so yes.”

Another sigh of relief. “Thank you so much.” She smiled sheepishly. “I don’t want a repeat of that blunder at Hayburgers.”

Mizuko smiled herself. “You can count on me.”

The two mares were quiet after that, just sitting and admiring the lush greenery of the forest around them. When they finally set off up the trail again, Lilligold found it less of a struggle to keep pace with Mizuko. Mizuko’s reassurance that Inari would treat her fairly was enough to overcome the spiritual half of her struggle up the mountain. The physical half was still a chore, but her newfound resolve helped her along in that regard. All the same, she decided she would hit the gym more often upon returning to Elmshire.

Eventually, the two stepped out of the thicket of trees, coming upon a short flight of stone steps with a line of kitsune statues on either side and more red arches overhead. As before, the stonework was extremely well-maintained, with not a single crack to be found anywhere along its patchwork. Up above, towering over them, was what Mizuko recognized to be a traditional Neighponese mokutō. The woodwork was as well-maintained as everything they’d previously seen, and the exterior was painted a red and green color scheme. It truly looked like the final hurdle to an encounter with a powerful deity.

As they ascended the stairs, it dawned on Mizuko that she had been granted a privilege that very few honest Neighponese citizens had the pleasure of experiencing. She was about to personally meet Inari-sama, the deity who everypony living in Neighpon owed their entire existence to. Even if his business lay with Lilligold, the honor was probably more hers than Lilligold’s.

Upon reaching the top step, the two mares saw a couple of kitsunes standing guard on either side of the front entrance, each one wearing a similar headband to the kitsune back at the Hayburgers, except with ‘衛兵’ emblazoned on it, indicating them to be, fittingly enough, guard kitsune.

The two guards said nothing as the mares approached. They simply reached over and pushed open the wooden double doors leading inside, bading the mares to enter, which they did.

The inside of the mokutō was as well-maintained as everything leading up to it. A large wooden pillar took up the center space, swaying slightly back and forth and making audible creaking noises, while a wooden staircase leading up to the next story took up the right side of the room. Beautiful tapestries hung from the green-painted walls, all of them depicting a large, white kitsune in various scenes of splendor and power, with the rising red sun being a prominent element in many of them.

As well, about a dozen or so regular kitsune littered the room, some chatting to themselves in a corner, others sleeping, while the majority were huddled around the central pillar, squinting their eyes up at it while pressing their paws against it. As they wore headbands with 大工 emblazoned on them, Mizuko figured they were inspecting the pillar for structural weakness.

Lilligold turned all around, taking in everything. “Wow.”

It was then that one of the carpenter kitsune inspecting the pillar noticed the two mares’ presence. Turning his head, he gestured to another kitsune that was resting against the staircase.

”They’re here, Taishimo,” it said.

The resting kitsune, Taishimo, opened its eyes and, after a brief stretch, made his way over to the two mares. The both of them regarded it with fascination and, in Lilligold’s case, a suppressed desire to scratch behind its ears. It wouldn’t do to treat an ancient deity’s loyal servant like a house cat, no matter how utterly adorable it was.

The kitsune gestured with its head to follow them, and began leading them toward the staircase. Mizuko and Lilligold followed behind, their attention lingering on all the kitsune littering the ground floor before they ascended to the second floor. Some more kitsune were scattered across the floor, sleeping and playing like their brethren below. One of them tracked Lilligold with its eyes as the group stalked across the floor, giving her a scrutinizing glare that made her uncomfortable, but she kept her cool all the same.

Finally, they reached the third floor. The sight that greeted them upon emerging from the staircase gave both mares momentary pause as their jaws hung slightly agape.

Sitting before them on an ornate bronze throne was a giant white kitsune, clearly the one depicted in all of the tapestries hanging around the room as well as the ones below. It sat tall and regal, its eyes fierce and stern, regarding the mares with a curious gaze akin to that of a general eyeing up new recruits.

Now that she had seen him in person for herself, Mizuko could say for sure that none of the tales surrounding Inari-sama did him justice. The creature before them carried itself with a hardened, yet graceful ferocity that could strike cowardice into even the most evil of creatures. The tales surrounding him had always described Inari-sama as a vengeful sort, someone who made it clear in no uncertain terms when somepony had acted out of line. Neither she nor Lilligold had done anything to incur his wrath, she knew, and yet, the knots forming in her stomach made it crystal clear that both she and Lilligold were at Inari-sama’s mercy.

Looking over, Mizuko saw that Lilligold was deathly pale while her legs were on the verge of buckling. Her eyes were like pinpricks, yet their gaze remained fixed on the deity before them, possibly out of a mixed sense of awe and terror.

”Greetings, Mizuko and Lilligold,” Inari-sama said suddenly, bowing deeply. His tone was calm, but every bit as hardened as his expression.

Mizuko wasted no time in returning the greeting, nearly striking her head against the floorboards. She prompted Lilligold to do the same, but only after she gently smacked Lilligold’s fetlock did the other mare follow suit.

”It is an honor to share your space, Inari-sama,” Mizuko said, keeping her tone as calm as she could.

”Please stand up.”

Mizuko stood up, and prompted Lilligold to follow suit again, which she did. Inari-sama then gestured for them to come closer, which they both did, albeit with slow, hesitant steps. A few times, Lilligold almost tripped over her own hooves with how shaky they were.

The fear coursing through her body was exponential. She assumed that having Mizuko by her side would dispel her trepidation of meeting with Inari. But no, she was shaking like a leaf instead. What did he want with her? What could he want with her? Why couldn’t she have just had a normal trip to Neighpon? All she wanted was to come here, grab some cherry blossoms, maybe enjoy the sights a little, and get back home! Why did fate like to pick on her!?

Inari made a motion of dipping his head while furrowing his gaze a little. “Jibun o ochitsuka, rirīgōrudo.”

Lilligold panicked even harder. What did he say? Was he displeased with her behavior? Did she violate some special ancient Neighponese custom? Who was calling her name!? Oh wait, it’s Mizuko.

“Y-Yes?” Lilligold stuttered, turning to face her.

“Inari-sama is telling you to calm down.”

Lilligold blinked. “... Really?”

Mizuko leaned over to whisper in her ear. “I know he’s intimidating, but there’s no reason to panic like you’re doing. Just stay relaxed and everything will be okay. Okay?”

Such a comforting presence was enough for Lilligold to snap out of her paranoia. She took in a deep, relaxing breath before exhaling slowly and flashing Mizuko a smile afterwards. “Thank you.”

Mizuko smiled herself and turned back to Inari. “Watashitachiha mimiwokatamukeru junbi ga dekite iru, Inari-sama.”

Inari turned to look at both of them, his gaze still managing to send shivers down their spines. “Watashi wa hijō ni jūyōna mondai de watashi o tasukeru tame ni koko ni anata o shōkan shite imasu.”

Lilligold leaned over to Mizuko. “What’s he saying now?” she asked.

“He’s saying he summoned us here because he needs our help with an important issue,” Mizuko replied.

Lilligold’s eyes widened and she turned back to Inari. An important issue? What kind of issue would he specifically need their help with? Some of Lilligold’s fear melted away and was replaced with curiosity.

Inari then dipped his head beside him, picking up a scroll that was tucked between his body and the throne. He then reared his head back a little and tossed it toward the mares with expert precision, landing it right at their hooves.

Mizuko bent over and nudged the scroll to unfurl it. There were no words, just Inari’s emblem in the top left corner.

The two mares shared a bewildered look, before glancing back up at Inari. His face now sported a deep crimson blush, yet his face remained as hard and stern as it did before.

“Watashi wa purinsesu seresutia o e no raburetā o kaite tasuke ga hitsuyō.”

Mizuko’s eyes instantly shot wide open. She did a double take on the empty scroll before staring incredulous at Inari, her jaw agape.

Lilligold blinked, surprised by her reaction. “Um, Mizuko?” She waved a hoof in front of her face, to which the other mare snapped from her trance with a shake of her head. “What did he say?”

Mizuko’s expression remained shocked as she turned to Lilligold. “He says he wants your help writing a love letter to Princess Celestia.”

Lilligold remained silent for several moments, processing Mizuko’s words in her head. Then her cheeks turned tomato red, and she proceeded to bury her face in her hooves and slump onto the ground.

Mizuko’s expression changed to one of concern. “Lilligold? What’s wrong?” she asked.

Lilligold didn’t answer right away, as her mind was abuzz with uncomfortable questions. Did Inari know about her secret obsession? If he did, how? Can he read into the farthest reaches of a pony’s mind, despite never having met them in person? The more she thought about it, the more obvious it became that, yes, Inari had to know about her secret hobby of writing romance stories. Why else would he single her out for help writing Princess Celestia a love letter?

Amidst her panicked thoughts, however, a realization struck. Inari wanted her help writing a love letter to Princess Celestia. Through her anxiety, a small part of Lilligold’s heart tingled with excitement. A romance between rulers, something straight out of a fantasy romance novel. She’d be lying to herself if she thought that wasn’t sweet.

She managed to regain enough of her composure to peek through her hooves up at Inari. His blush was still present, and through the set fierceness in his expression, Lilligold thought she saw a hint of concern. Whether that was concern for her well-being or that she might refuse to help, she couldn’t tell. But maybe she could help him and not die of embarrassment.

“Lilligold?” she heard Mizuko say. “Are you alright?”

“Y-Yeah,” she replied, and stood up, her sheepish smile still present. “Just a little shocked is all.”

Mizuko raised a curious brow. “Is something wrong?”

Normally Lilligold would’ve done her very damnedest to deny the existence of her secret hobby. But Mizuko didn’t come across as the kind of mare who’d exploit such information, so Lilligold decided it was worth trusting her.

“Could you ask him how he knows about my secret interest in romantic literature, please?” she asked, scuffing her hoof.

Mizuko appeared to look surprised for a moment, making Lilligold tense up, but merely nodded and turned to Inari. “Dono yō ni romansu no kanojo no kyōhaku kan'nen ni tsuite shitte imasu ka?”

Maybe it was Lilligold’s imagination, but Inari’s expression seemed to turn apologetic. “Watashi wa shazai suruga, soreha himitsudesu. Shikashi, anata no himitsu wa watashitoisshoni anzendesu.” He held a paw to his chest, right over his heart. “Yakusoku shimasu.”

“He says he’s sorry, but that it’s a secret,” Mizuko translated. “And that he promises your secret is safe with him.”

Lilligold’s lips formed a pout. Saying it was a secret was not a real answer, and it certainly did nothing to alleviate her fears that he could read her mind. But in the end, there wasn’t anything she could do except trust his word. If he was as just as Mizuko had described him, then she needn’t fear her secret getting out.

“Fair enough,” she replied simply.

“Anata wa watashi rirīgōrudo o tasukerudarou ka?”

“Inari-sama asks if you’ll help him, Lilligold,” Mizuko translated.

Lilligold breathed a deep, relaxing sigh and looked up at Inari with a reassuring smile. “I would be honored to help you.”

“Rirīgōrudo wa kanojo ga anata o tasukeru koto o kōei ni omotte iru to katarimasu.”

Inari-sama’s lips curled up into a half smile before he gave her a deep bow. “Kokorokara no kansha, rirīgōrudo.”

“He says he’s very thankful.”

“Sarani, koko ni anata no tasuke no tame no hōshū ga arimasu.”

Inari-sama straightened himself and reached behind the throne, pulling around a bonsai plant and setting it down in front of him for the two mares to see. The plant was a healthy shade of green, its branches expertly trimmed and nestled in a small, clay pot filled with rich soil.

Lilligold turned to Mizuko, curious.

Mizuko shrugged. “Apparently, that’s your reward for agreeing to help him.”

Lilligold turned back to the plant, intrigue clear in her features. “It is?” She went over and began inspecting it from every angle with a studious eye.

“Sono bonsai wa rikkushō kara sonzai shite imashita.”

Mizuko’s eyes went wide. “Rickshaw the Tiller?”

Inari-sama nodded. "Yes."

Mizuko glanced over to the bonsai plant, watching as Lilligold inspected it from every angle like an art consultant. Mizuko had read in school how Rickshaw the Tiller was essentially the king of agriculture among the first group of ponies who settled in Neighpon, and that he was a good friend of her own ancestor. That he had given Inari-sama a plant as a gift came as no surprise. Rather, it was surprising, and a little worrying, that Inari-sama would want to part with it.

That worry must’ve shown in her features, as Inari-sama spoke up again.

”It’s not the only bonsai he gave me.”

Then, to Mizuko’s surprise, he flipped over one of the throne’s armrests, revealing a metal panel with a row of colorful buttons. He pushed one, to which a click sounded, and a section of wall to her right slid open. Both she and Lilligold stared in awe at the sight it revealed: a couple dozen bonsai plants, each one exactly like the first, all neatly lined up.

”How are they still alive?” Mizuko asked, turning back to Inari-sama.

Inari-sama merely winked. ”It’s another secret.”

Mizuko felt herself very tempted to press further, but ultimately let it drop. If Inari-sama wanted it to be kept a secret, so be it. She turned back to Lilligold as the other mare finished up her inspection of her bonsai reward. “I guess we should get started helping then?” she asked.

Lilligold turned to her and nodded with a smile. “Sure, but…” She looked down at the scroll, frowning slightly. “We’re going to need something to write with.”

“Oh, right.” Mizuko turned back to Inari-sama. ”We need a writing instrument.”

Inari-sama’s cheeks once again turned a shade of red and he slapped a paw against his forehead. Pulling his paw away, he looked behind them to Taishimo. ”Please bring a quill and inkwell to us.”

The kitsune let out a huge yawn, before bowing and descending down the stairs.