• Published 10th Mar 2016
  • 324 Views, 16 Comments

Drowned In Secrets - Darkie 09



Sure, we've all had an existential crisis before, right? Well, I was just told I was related to a villain hated across Equestria...

  • ...
2
 16
 324

Chapter 4: Past Mistakes

I stared at her dumbfounded, “I- What? I’m really confused.” I told her, trying to play dumb to the best of my ability. “Mom, I’m sorry…. I’m just not following.” She dismissed me, and I headed up to my room. I took out my saddle bag, my water bottle, extra bandages for my wing, and a flashlight. At midnight, I’m going on an adventure.

I heard Mom’s hoof steps. I quickly chucked the items into the saddle bag and threw it on my desk. I climbed under my covers and shut my eyes tight, waiting for my Mom to walk down the hallway. I opened my eyes a few seconds later as I heard the click of her bedroom door being closed.

“Wow, close call,” I told myself as I rose up out of bed and stumbled around trying to work my way across the room. I peeked down the hallway both ways and crept into Aqua's room. She had something I needed. I gingerly opened her closet door, trying ever so carefully not to make the hinges squeak, and rummaged through her stuff. I found it.

I'd probably be away for a couple of days. Knowing my sister, she probably has a secret stash of money that she’s saved up. Now, being the older sister, I know I shouldn't have done this. And by this, I meant take thirty-five bits of her own cash. But I could replace it. Plus, I needed it. That probably wasn’t the best excuse; but I'd have time to come up with a new one.

I heard Aqua shift in her bed. She's a pretty light sleeper. So if have to be careful, about the creaky wooden floor planks. I began to exit the room when I stepped on a creaky plank. I winced, Aqua sat up in bed.

"Blaze? What are you doing here?" She asked me, reaching for the light.

"Oh... Me? Oh right, yeah, I- Mom, just- uh- told me to come and, uh, check on you. Sorry to wake you. Sweet dreams." I tucked the money under my wing and bolted for the door.

"Love you, Sis?" I kept running and closed the door when I reached my room.

I knew there must be a million things that she was wondering. But knowing her she'll blab the whole story to Mom. I stuck the money in a secret pocket in my bag. I climbed into bed and stared at the clock. Debating whether or not I should really do this, it didn't seem right. But, I know the police weren’t going to find Dad. We’d be lucky if we even find his body. He might already be dead!

No, Stellar, don't think like that. Don't say such things, I thought to myself. I had another hour before I could leave. I tossed and turned and tried to get some sleep. But no matter how hard I tried, it seemed impossible. But somehow, I slowly drifted off to sleep. I began to see things, things in a dream. There was a dark figure hovering over me. I could see myself frightened and frozen stiff.

"You want to know where your father is?" It asked me. I didn’t respond. I was too frightened to. "Hmm? Not much of a talker, are you?" Finally, I mustered some of my courage and said,

"I-I do want to know where he is and what happened to him? Will you tell me?" I asked the figure.

"Oh, you poor, innocent child. You and your sister both. You really don't understand the situation, do you?"

"I suppose you're right-"

“I am! And I know I am! Do you remember when you left your sister in the dust? When the family told her the fate of the family. Remember when she broke down in tears, after you came home and refused to talk to you? Because I do. Oh yes, I remember. Fun times, am I right?" It walked towards me.

"No, not fun at all!" I told it, feeling disgusted by this thing’s sick sense of humor.

“Stellar, Stellar, Stellar. Don't you know who you are?" It lurched forward, and I hopped back.

"Yes. I am a pony. I am Stellar Blaze. The one and only." I told the figure, hoping it'd go away.

“No, no, you are wrong. All wrong. You... You are different! You are one of us!!" It leaped forward again. It pushed me down, with rage and eyes filled with fire! I struggled but then something it said made me stop. "You want to see your father, don't you? Well look that way...."

A light shone brightly, in front of me was a cell, with a pony behind bars. I looked at him and stared at him for a while. He looked like a walking skeleton wrapped in a thin layer of papery flesh, like he hadn't eaten in days. His hair was all scraggly looking and dirty. He was bleeding in multiple places, there was a gash on his forehead, the size of my hoof.

"Who is that?" I asked.

"You're joking... You don't recognize this stallion?"

"No." I said honestly.

“It's probably b-better you don't," a voice said. I stared over at the pony in the cell. It all came back to me. It was Dad!

"Dad!! What the heck?!" I shook furiously at the cell bars. "What are they doing to you?! Are you okay?! What's this all about?! DAD!!"

I woke up, trembling and scared half to death.

"Dad?"

My breathing was heavy. But it slowed down. I looked at the clock, twelve-thirty. Time to get going, I suppose. I snuck into the hallway. All the lights were off. I painted a mental picture in my mind of what the house looks like in order to find the stairs. I felt my way through the old, dark house and down to the kitchen. I took a few snacks and ate them as I was preparing to leave. I filled my water bottle and threw it back in the bag.

I went out the back door because the front door was large and made a lot of noise when it was opened. I went down to the sight where Dad was last. I searched around. There was no trace of him whatsoever. I inspected a few trees and found a tree with a hole in it. I suspected that's how whatever took Dad made the quick get away. But I was wrong, and, in the process of inspecting the tree, I disturbed a bunch of sleeping birds. Oops. I checked under pebbles and rocks alike. I found a rock to be an odd shape and pretty heavy.

I gripped the rock and began to fly up, trying pull it up with me. Flying is hard when you only have one wing, and the burning pain I felt when that thing first broke my wing came back after only a few flaps. So I gave up on that idea and tried something else. I began to try to push it. But that didn't work. I bet if I were a unicorn, this would be easier. In a way, it made me wish I had brought Aqua along. Then again, I don’t think criminals would be too intimidated by my weird little sister who can’t even go near and x-ray machine without wetting herself. I kept trying to push the rock. It finally moved and I could see a peek hole that looked like an animal burrow.

I moved the rock a little bit more and finally got the entire hole unearthed. I looked at it for a while. Pondering whether or not to take a closer look. But I didn't have a choice. If I wanted to save Dad, I would have to do this. I climbed down into the hole, and started feeling my way through the dark, A lot of dirt came down onto my head but I kept crawling. I noticed that it started to get steeper. I kept crawling as best I could.

"Woah!" I screamed as I began to fall. It was pitch black and I couldn’t see anything. I continued to tumble down into the darkness like a stone. I screamed louder, thinking of all the things I could've been doing if I had just stayed home. "Help!!" I tried to grab on to something, but all that was there was dirt lining the pit. I hit my head on the way down a couple of times, but I was still alive at least. I dropped into a cave. My head hurt like hell. I looked around, everything was really fuzzy and disoriented. I couldn't really see because of the lack of light, but I managed. I got to my hooves and snuck around. I kept walking. It was dark and creepy to say the least.

The place looked as though nopony had lived here in eons. I walked around a bit more until I came to another, smaller cave. It looked cute and cozy.... Until I heard voices. I couldn't tell where they were coming from, so I tried to stay on the down low. I walked around a corner and saw... Changelings! I backed away behind another wall. Intently listening to their conversation.

“What do you think the mistress is going to do with that runt now?” One of them asked the other.

“I don’t know, she never said anything after the show ended,” said the other.

“Speaking of the show, they really should’ve let me perform the torture on that sad excuse for a Changeling. I’ve been working hard around here and I thought I deserved a little bit of a reward. But, no, they let that other guy do it.”

“I don’t blame your jealousy, considering some of the twisted stuff the other Changelings suggested we do to him. Heh heh, his screams were like music to my ears!”

“Oh yeah, that coward deserve every bit of pain we inflicted upon him. That fool couldn’t even tell his own daughter the truth about who she really was. If you ask me, I don’t think he even deserves to be a father or even be married to that lovely mare I’ve see her with.”

Based on what they were saying, it sounded like they were talking about my dad! I wanted to march up to them and kick them all their little, tiny faces for talking about my dad the way they were. But I didn't. I set my saddlebag on the floor quietly and carefully. I took out my water bottle and drank a few sips before putting it away in my saddlebag.

"Shut up!" Someone hissed. It startled me, but I remained calm. "I thought I heard something."

“It was probably just a rock falling down a tunnel or something.”

“What if was an intruder?”

“Well, if it was, we’ll do what the mistress told us to do. Sink our fangs into their necks and show them no mercy!” I winced at that sentence. I quickly ran around to try and find Dad. There was no use in running from who it was though. I looked around for any signs that would point me to Dad. But so far, none had. I checked my watch. It was already one-forty, and I was starting to lose hope that I'd ever see him again. Just then, in the darkness.... I heard a voice.

"Help... M-Me, p-please..."

I whispered to it, "What's wrong?" I started feeling my way through the dark and found a set of metal bars.

"E-Everything..." It told me. "You sh-should leave… B-B-Before they f-find you."

"Who's ‘they’? And do you know who you are?" I asked. It sounded like a seriously hurt pony, but the only way I could help is if I had the information I need to help.

"Ch-Change....." It sounded weak and I was going to go over and help it. But then it said something that made me stop cold in my tracks."I- I am Silver S-Stream." He told me. Tears formed in my eyes. As of now, I realized who I was talking too!

"Omigosh! Dad? What- What did they do to you?!"I looked around for something I could break the bars with but there was nothing to help me aid him.

"DAD! ANSWER ME!" I screamed. "DAD!"

"Shhh... They will he-hear you." He told me.

"I DON'T CA-" A big shadow cast over me, and I froze like a statue. I dared not to look back.

"I see you've found your father," It said to me. "Remember the last time we met? It was a long time ago." I snarled. I wanted to tell it to shut up. But I didn't. "I'd understand if you didn't remember me."

"Would you understand if I wanted to kill you?!" I responded in a snarky attitude. I turned around to face the creature. I flew up, came back down and kicked it. But that was about as effective as if I had kicked a solid brick wall. It threw me down hard and stepped on me. I thought I might’ve heard one of my ribs crack.

"Do you know who I am, Stellar Blaze?"

“No, and I don't care to know either. How's that for an answer?" I snapped. I began to get up, when it kicked me back down again. I skidded across the hard, rocky floor.

"I am Queen Chrysalis!"

"Never.... And I mean NEVER, kick me when I am already down. Because when I get up, you are FUCKED!!" I managed to get back up on my hooves and charged at her like an angry bull.

"My, my, what a feisty child you are.” She said in a condescending tone, shaking her head and clicking her tongue as she trapped me in a magic bubble, “If you’re suggesting that I rip you in half and feed your blood and guts to my kin, then I’d be happy to make your wish come true. But I’m sure you don’t want that, as I’m sure you’re desperate to see your father, aren’t you?”

A light went on somewhere. That’s when I saw a skinny, boney, sick pegasus who looked like he had been starved to the bone. The magic bubble suddenly disappeared and I ran up to the cage bars.

"DAD?!"

"Stellar?" He said in a weak, raspy voice.

“Dad... Wh-what have they done to you?" I asked trying to open the cage bars.

"You want to go in and see him?" Queen Chrysalis asked me. I nodded and she opened up the cage bars with her magic. "Go on...." I walked cautiously inside, and ran over to him.

"Dad, I'm sorry." I took out my water bottle and gave it to him. "Here." He took it without hesitation and drank the water. He seemed a bit better afterwards.

"I'm sorry too, Stellar. I shouldn't have let loose on you all those times. I was just trying to protect you. And listen....."

I nodded. "Yes, Dad?"

"When you get out of here, I want you to run. And I want you to run far."

Tears streamed down my cheeks. "You mean, when we get out of here, right?"

He shook his head. "I’m in no condition to make that trip, darling. They've experimented on me and broke my wings."

“I prefer the term ‘tortured’” Chrysalis said under her breath with a smirk on her face. I began to breathe heavily. My chest tightened. My lungs seemed as if they had stopped working. I couldn't breathe.

"D-Dad."

"Please, honey. Return home. I'll meet you there, I promise." He got up and limped past me Chrysalis.

"Dad! Stop!" I screamed. "You'll hurt yourself more! Please!" I ran to catch up with him. In the corner of my eye, I saw Chrysalis nod; but it wasn't to me. She had an evil glare on her face. I kept running. "Dad!" A boulder came down on my Dad. Blood was splattered on the boulder and all over the floor. I heard the loud snapping and crackling of his bones, which sent chills down my spine. I stopped running.

"Dad!" I turned back to Chrysalis, "What have you done?!" I screamed at her, advancing toward her.

“Why the long face, little filly? I think the floor looks fantastic painted red. It really brightens up the whole room.” Chrysalis then found herself cackling at me. I was about to let out my unbridled rage, but Chrysalis cut me off. "You and I both know he wasn't going to live much longer. He was as worthless as discarded candy wrapper! You're just like the rest of them! Just like Thorax!" She hissed.

I remembered hearing the name Thorax before. He was an old childhood friend of mine.When we still lived in Cloudsdale. We were really close, and then he moved away and I never saw him again. A couple of nights ago, there was a changeling on the news called Thorax. He had made friends with crystal ponies. But that couldn't be the same Thorax I knew. Thorax was sweet and kind and not a changeling.

"Thorax?" I asked her.

"Oh yes, no wonder you two were so close. You guys were practically inseparable. Do you want to know the reason as to why he left you?" She asked me. I didn't really want to, but I had a feeling she wasn't really giving me a choice.

"Because we were after him. We wanted to kill him for betraying us. For leaving us behind in the dust."

"The Thorax I know wasn't a changeling!" I snapped back at her. But then questions began to run through my mind. Thorax hadn't ever told me where he lived or what his parents did for a living. We never went over to his house, either. He had never brought up his heritage or family or if he had any siblings. "Omigosh."

"Don't you see, darling?" She asked me in an uncomfortable manner.

"Don't call me darling! I'm not your daughter!" I looked over to the boulder that had ended my father’s life. "I'm his daughter."

"That may be true, but we’re two of a kind." She looked at me with a cold, harsh stare. "Do you know what I mean by that?"

"No." I stared at her with a glare. Her horn started to glow green.

"C'mon, take a guess."

"Does that mean I am...." I stopped.

"Ding, ding, ding! we have a winner." She stood in front of me, with her horn glowing a sickly green color. Her magic touched me and took hold of me. I squirmed, trying to get out of her grip. “Let’s give you a makeover, my dear!” A beam hit me and I shut my eyes. I waited a few seconds after feeling no pain at all. I looked down at my feet, they were black and covered with holes! She reached the top of my head and her magic disappeared.

"What have you done to me?" She pulled up a mirror and I walked up to it. I looked at myself. "What the-" This wasn't me at all. I looked like a changeling. But... I couldn't be. "Please. Change me back!" I begged her.

"No!" She replied quickly. “I think you look better that way!” She laughed maniacally, enjoying my misery like the cruel, twisted villain she was. I had insect wings and a weird horn. I had more holes and gaps than a block of swiss cheese and didn’t have a cutie mark anymore.

"Who am I?" I asked.

"You are my subject!" She screeched.

"I will never be YOUR subject!" I taunted back. "Never!" I ran past her and into the main room of where I entered.

“Yeah, that’s right!” yelled Queen Chrysalis, “Get out of my sight! You’re nothing to me and now you’re nothing to everypony in this whole damn realm!”

I'm sorry, Dad! I thought to myself, You always taught: F.E.A.R. Face Everything And Rise. Not F.E.A.R. Forget Everything And Run.

Tears welled up in my eyes. I flew up the hole I came through and out into the open world. Everypony was staring at me like I had three heads as I walked down the street. I knew why. They tried to stay away from me and protect their children. I tried apologizing, but it was no use. I took to the skies and flew fast trying to get to Canterlot without drawing any more attention to me.

I finally made it to Princesses’ Castle. I went up the stairs, the two guards standing on either side of the door blocked the way.

"Please, I need to talk to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna right away!" I pleaded with innocent eyes. They didn't answer. "Please, let me in!" I pleaded while getting down on my knees. That's when Princess Luna came to my aid. "Princess Luna?"

"My sister and I have been waiting for your arrival." The guards let us into the castle and we walked to the throne room.

"I'm so sorry. I know what you must think of me, but I'm not like the-"

"We don't think any different of you, Stellar Blaze." She looked at me. Princess Celestia walked through the door and gasped. I hid behind Princess Luna for protection.

"Sister, ‘tis only Stellar Blaze. She has found out the truth the hard way." Luna spoke up and shoved me forward. I smiled a small, nervous smile.

"H-hello." I said shyly. I had never come face-to-face with a Princess before. She smiled and greeted me, where she took me to a secret library room. There was a chest above the bookshelf that looked dusty and almost ancient. She took it down and told me a bit about what was inside it.

"Your mother and father used to write to me all the time." She told me as she opened the chest. That was news to me because Mom hated writing letters.

"Really?" I asked in awe.

"Yes, this is the first letter they ever sent me. It's from October 3rd, 2001." She continued on…

Dear Princess Celestia,

Thank you for helping us get settled into our new home and lead a good and new life. We are eternally grateful that you are helping us. We know for the safety of Equestria that you would not take a chance with our kind. We appreciate it a lot. Knowing that somepony is looking out for us makes us feel safe. Thank you again for helping us get settled in and adjust to our new home in Cloudsdale. Also, we have great news! We went to the hospital today to get a sonogram of our baby, and it turns out she's a healthy baby girl! We cannot wait to present her to you!

With Love,

Silver Stream and Delilah

"That was right before I was born!" I pointed out.

"You're right, and I have one from them two days after you were born!" She rummaged through the chest until she finally found the letter.

"This one is from October 21st, 2001, and it reads:

Dear Princess Celestia,

We are pleased to announce that we have a healthy baby girl named Stellar Blaze. I guess we will have to bring her over soon, so you can meet her and give her a pelt. Anyway, we'd love to hear back from you soon.

With Love,

Silver Stream and Delilah

"Wow, so you gave me my fur coat and stuff?" I asked, surprised that one pony could do that.

"Yes, I made you and your parents your own fur, I also made Aqua Blossom’s pelt." She answered. "Stellar, if I may... Can I ask you a question?"

"Go ahead," I told her.

"Did you know about these letters beforehand?" I hesitated before answering this question. I must've spaced out for too long because the Princess was waving her hoof in front of me.

"Oh, um... Sort of, you could say." She seemed to be satisfied with my answer and she let the matter drop. "Princess Celestia? How can I control this? How can I just switch back to what I was before?"

"You can. But you weren't subjected to the ways of the Changelings. So you wouldn't know, now would you."

"I suppose not." I told her honestly. "But, isn't there someone who could teach me?" I asked.

"Not that I know of." She shook her head sadly. I turned away, ready to cry, but I kept it together. Luna came in.

"Luna, do you know of anybody who's be able to teach her about shifting?" I heard Celestia ask. She shook her head in the same manner that her sister had.

"No. I'm sorry." She looked at me. "Stellar? What about your Mother?"

"My Mother wouldn't have the time to teach me how to shift, she has a busy enough schedule as it is. She works from six in the morning to five-thirty in the evening. Then finds time to do the laundry, dishes, shopping, cleaning, taking us to and from our friend’s houses and a lot more. Now she's a widow, and a single Mom. I can't imagine how much she's going to have to do now." Tears welled in my eyes again.

"Sister!" Luna shouted. "What about Thorax?!" Celestia looked at her.

"I suppose that could work."

"Shall I send a scroll to Cadance?" Luna asked.

"Please do," said Celestia. Luna ran off and she looked towards me. "So how are you handling things as of now?"

"Better than I expected I would." I told her, still replaying my Dad's death in my head.

"That's good. We should get you back home. Your mother must be worried sick about you. There was a ‘Missing Filly’ report filed about you. A scroll came earlier today. But I suppose you are tired and worn out. So tonight I will let you sleep in the castle. Tomorrow, I will have a carriage bring you home."

"Thank you so much Princess Celestia." I bowed to her, and she showed me where I would sleep tonight. She lead me down a corridor and opened the door to an elegant, decent-sized room. It had a queen bed and a mahogany desk. Along with that, it had a walk-in closet and a few dressers. "Thank you so much, again."

"The pleasure is mine, Stellar. Now get some rest. I will come for you in the morning."

She closed the door and left me alone in the room. My belly roared with hunger, demanding that I feed it. Come to think of it, I hadn't eaten since yesterday. I sat down at the desk and took a sheet of paper out. I wanted to write a letter to my explaining that I was okay.

Dear Mom,

I just wanted to write you this letter to let you know that I am safe and sound in Princess Luna and Celestia's castle. They have been very kind to me and are sending me home tomorrow. I know it was irresponsible and dangerous to do what I did and I am deeply sorry. I hope we can talk more about it when I get home. I will be ready for any punishment you decide to give me because I deserve it. I'm sorry. I also have some news about Dad. But that can wait when I see you tomorrow. You must be terrified and I'm so sorry. I will talk to you when I get home.

With love,

Stellar Blaze

I opened my door and snuck quietly down the corridor. I owned the big double doors and when down the stairs, when I ran into Celestia.

"Um, I was just coming to find you." I told her, she look a bit surprised. "I was just going to ask you if you can send the back to my family. It's a letter letting them know that I’m okay."

"Oh, of course." She gripped the letter with her magic and in the blink of an eye the letter was gone. I started back to my room. When I got there I settled down in bed and began to look at a book I found of the bookshelf. "Safe and Sound" I studied it a bit more. It seemed like my kind of book. I opened to the first page and began to read. I was on chapter three when I heard a knock come from the door. I walked over and opened it up.

"A letter to Miss Stellar Blaze." The guard pony gave me the letter and I thanked him. I closed my door and opened the scroll.

Stellar Blaze!

This is Aqua! I hate you!! Why would you leave?! And is Dad there? Don't ever talk to me again! I hate you! You may be my sister, but you don't act like it! Don't even bother coming home! I hate you!!

Tears welled in my eyes. "I didn't mean too..." I shut off the light and climbed into bed. Throughout the night, those words haunted my dreams. I kept hearing them echo within my head. Aqua’s letter and me saying "I didn't mean too..."

"Stellar Blaze?" A knock on the door followed. I opened the door.


"Princess, I'm sorry I have a bed head. I just woke up."

"That's quite alright, Stellar. Gather your belongings, I have a carriage waiting to take you home." I grabbed my things out of the closet and followed her outside.

"Thank you for having me." I told her. "And thank you for showing me those scrolls."

"You are very welcome." The carriage started to move and the pegasi started to fly. She waved to me and I waved back. It was a long ride home.

I walked up onto the porch and braced myself. I opened the door and walked inside. The house was deserted.

"I-I'm home..." I shouted very quietly. "Hello? Mom?" I flew upstairs and heard sobbing come from Aqua's room. I opened the door ever so slightly. I saw Mom and Aqua cuddling together and crying. "Mom?" I asked her in a hushed tone. She looked up at me and started bawling. She motioned for me to come over. I flew over and leaned in close.

"I heard." I stood back up.

"You heard?" I asked her, "What's that supposed to mean?" I suddenly realized what she had meant. She heard about Dad...

Comments ( 1 )

Wonderfully done.

Login or register to comment