• Published 29th Feb 2016
  • 394 Views, 7 Comments

Befriending A Prince - PinkieDP



Waveform was just a lowly earthpony freelance musician and artist scraping by with whatever he could get. now when he enters an art competition he meets someone he never expected too in his lifetime.

  • ...
 7
 394

Chapter 1- A First Encounter

Befriending a Prince
By
PinkieDP
Would you ever guess that you would meet your best friend, at the age of 23, at an art contest? Probably not, right? Especially considering that that best somepony was a Prince.
***
*A few months ago*

Waveform sighed as he approached the modest building, flyer in hoof. The flier read, “Wanted, an artist, Amateur or Professional, to create cover art for a short story”.

At the bottom it read, “Exposure only and special credit in the dedications”. Waveform sat down at a nearby bench to relax and keep calm.

“He’ll like it…”, he said, glancing at the piece of paper in his hoof and gulping a little, “ I hope…”

Generally an Electro Musician by trade, he also did artistry on the side, on occasion, even though he knew that he wasn’t very good. Sighing slightly he got back up and walked slowly to the nondescript wooden door.

“Here goes”, Waveform said as he knocked several times. A few short minutes later, the door opened, and who had opened it shaked Waveform to his core. His eyes widened as he realized exactly who was standing in the doorway. “P-p-p… Prince Glitter Sparkle!?” he bowed quickly remembering his etiquette. Before he heard a small chuckle.

“Hey, relax, my subject”, Prince Sparkle said, “No formalities are needed. I get enough of them at the Castle”. Hearing that Waveform got back on his hooves.

“Sorry about that, I’ve never really met a Royal before”, Waveform said as he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment.

“That’s OK”, Prince Sparkle said. “So, I assume you came for the artist want ad?” Waveform nodded shyly. “Well then”. Prince Sparkle stood aside. “Please enter”.
***
An hour or two later they were sitting at an ornate wooden table, adorned with a table mat, Drinking cold glasses of cider.

“So” Waveform said, sipping his cider, “What do you think?”

At that Prince Sparkle had to hesitate. “Well… it isn’t that bad”.

Waveform winced. “That bad huh?”

Prince Sparkle waved off with his hoof. “No no. It’s not that bad. Look, I know I have someone else competing, so you still have a shot.”

Waveform sighed and wiped his forehead “Whew! I thought you were going to say it was terrible or something!”

Prince Sparkle shook his head “No, even if it was that bad, I wouldn’t have done that to you.” “Why don’t you come back in about a week and I should have a winner”.

After Waveform stands, he tried to hide his excitement “That sounds fine. Thanks for having me!” After saying their goodbyes Waveform headed back to his apartment on Mane Street, Canterlot. Unlocking the door. He mumbled to himself, “Ugh… that… could’ve gone better”. He then went to Cactus’s cage to feed him. “Could’ve gone a lot better actually…” Cactus was Waveform’s pet hedgehog who he loved more than certain family members. “It’s not that bad is it?” He asked Cactus who could only blink.

“Yup”, He yelled, “It’s that bad!” After putting Cactus back in his cage, Waveform got ready for bed, lying down in his twin sized bed with his single thin comforter. “Goodnight, my sad excuse for a life.” He said before he closed his eyes and drifted into a Dreamless sleep.
***
A Week Later.
***
Waveform stood in the same place he did a week prior, practically shaking with anxiety."I lost." he thought."I don't even know why I bother going in!" he took a breath, then two. "Keep your chin up Waveform." he said to himself. "Theres still a chance!"

It turns out there actually was no chance. The competitor was much much better than Waveform.

Waveform sat on a plush couch, dejected. "Well horse-apples! I really thought I had a chance."

The prince sat down next to the pouting pony. "Well it didn't win but I still liked it! Tell you what. I like you, so I'm going to include your picture in the special mentions!"

Waveform visibly perked up at that. "Wait... You are?" He said, skeptically.

The Prince could only smile and nod "Mmhmm!"

Waveform sprung out of his seat and all but tackled the Prince. "Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!"

The Prince only chuckled. "It's no problem man, really! Now, Get off me before my guards think you're trying to kill me!"

Blushing, Waveform slowly climbed off of the Prince, chuckling softly "Sorry... I do that sometimes... Hehe..."

The Prince sat up and dusted himself off. "Dont worry man, Its all good."

Waveform nodded. "Cool. I just don't want there to be any bad blood between us."

The Prince thought for a moment. "How about this. Just to show there's no bad blood between us, how's about I invite you over to the castle for a bit hmm?"

Waveform practically exploded with a surge of unbridled adrenaline. "W-w-w-what!?!? Y-you mean... THE castle!?"

The Prince smiled and chuckled warmly. "Yes... THAT castle!"

The resulting earthquake caused by Waveform's boundless energy set off five different seismographs and totaled a 2.3 on the Riction Scale*

Once the Prince stopped shaking. "U-uh... Waveform?" He asked the panting body on the floor.

Panting heavily " Y-yeah?"

"You wouldnt happen to know a pony named Pinkie Pie would you?"

"Yep. We've been best friends since grade school"

"Wow! Look at the time! I think you should be getting home!"

"... But it's only 2 o'clock..."

"Go home Waveform."

"...OK."
***

Once home again, Waveform had an extra spring in his step "Hey Cactus! Guess what!"

Cactus could only blink

Smiling from ear to ear "I made a new friend today! And he's a Prince!"

It had become ridiculous to think Cactus could do anything but blink but, Waveform never realized that. Sighing, Waveform turned on the T.V and kicked back. Completely oblivious to the fact that he hadn't worked a single day in the past week.

Author's Note:

Wow! My first chapter! Didja like it? This story is actually a chronicle of me and my friend Glitter Sparkles adventures on the wonderful FimFiction PM service! And this first chapter actually is the story of how I met him! so, thanks for reading! stick around for future updates!

* Since i don't want to chance getting sued its Riction

Comments ( 7 )

I really enjoyed this chapter. You made my OC stand out wonderfully! (Yes, Prince Sparkle is my OC)

6983775

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

6983780
No problem. Keep up the good work!

6983786

I sure will! Thanks!

I like it! And I think I might be able to get a good read off'a the next chapter and the one in my story... Maybe...

7082217
I'm glad you like it!

I never realized how long it's been since I posted this. Believe me when I say MUCH has happened. I'm going to spend some time cleaning up the chapter and figuring out how to progress

Login or register to comment