• Published 25th May 2017
  • 2,824 Views, 8 Comments

Of colors and ponies. - the frank



You would think that being a 250 years old vampony should've learned you one or two things about getting exactly what you want. Yeah, right...

  • ...
7
 8
 2,824

The one chapter.

Night had fallen over downtown Trottingham. The streets were empty, safe for the areas around the railway station and the harbour where boats came and went all around the clock. The nightlife consisted of two all-night cafés, one at the station and one down by the docks. There were a few pubs, but they closed at eleven by tradition. Trottingham was not known as the city that never sleeps, but there would always be the occasional pony trotting around the other parts of the town even after eleven o’clock. A side door to the city’s only three-star hotel opened to reveal one of these ponies. It was impossible to say if this was a mare or a stallion, as only their hooves peeked out from under the cloak that donned them. There was a distinct look of shimmering white fur, scarcely noticeable, but obvious all the same.

The pony looked around, but when it found no one else around, it began to cross the road and sneak into a narrow alley. It tried to avoid the street lights as much as possible, it even made it’s way through a broken fence once. After five minutes it reached it's goal, a small park located near the river Horsey. Once again it began to look around and then it whistled low.

From a nearby bush, a grey hoof waved, and the hooded pony walked over and in between the tight branches, which would have contained bearberries had it been season. Hiding in the foliage, two ponies looked back to the visitor, their eyes hidden by a similar hood. The others greeted the newcomer by nodding, then they all removed their hoods. Had there been anypony else there watching they might have recognized some of them. One of the ponies was the well known and famous (or in-famous depending on taste) DJ PON-3. And if they were informed of the higher arts of fashion and classical music, they might have also recognized one Octavia Melody and one Rarity Belle.

However, that hypothetic spectator would immediately notice that there was something off about two of them. If said spectator knew of each pony, they would know they were all paler than usual, even if it was hard to notice a paler nuance of white and grey. The ears were also slightly pointier, and ended in small tufts at the edges. Sharp fangs shot out from their mouths and they all had red eyes (DJ PON-3 being the only one who’s were a natural red, but still).

Vamponies.

Meaning that the hypothetical spectator would be pushing up daisies by the time they came to that conclusion. But there was nopony there to disturb them, and the small conference continued with the grey mare, Octavia Melody, being the first to speak. “Greetings, sister.”

“Greeting to you as well, sister. Vinyl.”

“‘Sup, Rares?”

Octavia cleared her throat and spoke. “Did you bring the pup with you?”

Rarity nodded. “I did. We went by separate trains and stayed at separate hotels just for safety, but she should be here anytime now.”

Almost instantly, the sound of flapping wings could be heard, and a pale yellow thestral landed in the shrubbery. She sported two large bat-like wings, but otherwise she looked like the other two vamponies with rougher fur and tufts on the ears. She also spotted a different cutie mark, three pink bats. Fluttershy, the ex-model. Rarity nodded to her friend, Vinyl simply lifted her eyebrows and Octavia spoke. “Greetings, pup. Since your incident it has been four moons. You have now hunted with us three times, making this the fourth.”

Vinyl cleared her throat. “Octy… You can speak, you know... Equestrian to the mare.”

Octavia glared at her wife, but Rarity put her hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder, “Darling, what my sister is trying to say is that you have shown excellent progress and proved to be a resourceful part of our little pack. Unfortunately only me and sister could make it tonight. Sweetie was grounded.”

“As usual…”

“Hush, Vinyl. There are more trials yet, but you’re good on your way. Now, let us begin. You have it?”

Fluttershy murmured an answer. Then Octavia spoke. “Good. Once again we are blessed with a lovely night to meet. Once again all of us are still walking this earth unharmed. Let us now praise the gra…”

“Boooring!”

“Vinyl, please cut the chatter! ...Let us now praise the gracious and merciful Gaia for keeping us alive another moon. Let us thank her for letting us feast on her creations and let us share our meal with her as a sign of our gratitude. Fluttershy?”

The yellow Pegasus produced a flask from under her cloak. She opened it and let its dark red contents flow over the ground. They all watched in silence except DJ PON-3, who yawned. Octavia shot her a nasty look. “Vinyl, dear, even if you don’t share our faith, would you at least be so kind to show a decent amount of decorum? Holy saint Megan, I wonder how I put up with you sometimes,” She shook her head slowly. “ Anyway. As you are accustomed to by now, as the new pup it is your duty to be the bait, but tonight we shall see if you can work as the hook as well! Today, we will practice your mind-controlling abilities. Are you ready?”

“I am.”

“Alright, to work then! Allonsy! Sister dear, would you be so kind and locate a prey for us?”

Rarity lifted her nose and sniffed in the air. When her snout pointed towards east southeast, she stopped and sniffed more carefully. “I think I have one. Male, 25-30, slightly drunk.” She perked her ears, “No, more than slight. He’s singing… Oh! An old hayrish tune. Galway bay! He will be here in two minutes.”

Octavia smirked, “oh, a Coq au vin! I hope you appreciate phrench cuisine, girls. Fluttershy, on your mark. Rarity, cut of his escape. I’ll take the other. Vinyl… try to stay awake, please?”

They took their places, Fluttershy placed herself by a streetlight and waited while Octavia and Vinyl disappeared into the shadows, Rarity stood a bit further down the path. Once again, Rarity couldn’t help wondering what kind of creature Vinyl was. She was no vampony, but she sure as hay was no pony either. Her thoughts were cut short, as only seconds later a brown stallion with a auburn mane rounded a corner. Rarity could tell by his walk that he’d had just barely missed the “too much cider”-mark. He’d also changed tune, to a baritone version of “Seven Drunken Nights.”

Fluttershy apparently did her best to look unsuspicious and innocent in the street light, but Rarity sighed at the sight. Vampony or not, Fluttershy could not act for two bits. However when the stallion came closer, she realised that “hits on anything that walks” was the level of intoxication. Even if she sported a third eye he wouldn't notice. She watched how his steps got brisker, and when he stood next to her, his first words were “Well hi there, beautiful! Here I am! What are your other two wishes?”

Rarity fought back the urge to simply jump him and bite him herself for that cheesy line. She saw Fluttershy forcing herself to smile. “Well, good evening… uhm… Funny you should say that...uhm… You see, there is something I wish from you…”

The stallion grinned, almost cutting his face in half. He looked as a colt opening a sack full of candy. “You see…” Fluttershy’s eyes changed from blue to red in an instant, “I am feeling a bit hungry.” His eyes were focused on hers. There had been a glimpse of fear at first, but now the contact was established. “Hungry…” he replied, in a dull voice.

“Yes, and my friends too. You're a gentlecolt, sir, surely you're willing to help three mares in need?”

“Help…” Suddenly his eyes regained focus and there was life in his voice again. “What? Who are you? Why are your eyes red?”

“Eh… well…” Rarity saw Fluttershy’s surprise. Darn it, this was getting out of hooves quick! She had to…

“Because dearie, we are vamponies.” Another voice, in a well-known stiff british accent. Octavia. Out of the darkness she somehow stood behind Fluttershy, more or less staring the stallion in his eyes. Almost immediately he lost control again. “Vamponies…”

“Vamponies, dear. Vamponies.”

“Vamponies…dear”

“Yes...dear. Here to feast on blood. Blood.” Octavia spoke slow and clear, as if she was talking to a foal.

“Blood….”

“Yes. Your blood, to be precise. That you so you so selflessly will be sharing with us.” Then she showed her teeth, the sharp fangs shone under the moonlight. “So, if you don’t mind… It will only sting a bit. A bit.”

“A bit… only a bit…”

Octavia closed her maw around the stallion's neck and sank her fangs into the back side. The stallion blinked, but made no other move or sound. “That wasn’t so bad, was it?. So, may we drink from you?”

“Yes… drink…” The stallion lay down on the ground and put his head aside, giving them free access to the fresh wound. “Good. Fluttershy?”

“I don’t understand… I had him and then…” Rarity walked up to the pegasus and placed a hoof on her shoulder.

“You were too fast, Darling. A common mistake for beginners, that’s why we never let pups hunt alone. You made the connection as you should, and it was a strong one. But then you began with long phrases too early. That made him think, and that broke the connection. You see, first you create a connection. Then you speak with simple, short sentences. The lesser words, the better. When they are completely blank, they are under your command, and THEN you may use more complex phrases or orders.”

Fluttershy lowered her head and blushed. Octavia joined them, giving Fluttershy a reassuring pat on her back. “Now now, dear. No hard feelings, we’re all beginners at sometime. So, girls. No more beating around the bush. Let’s eat, shall we? Vinyl, be a dear and keep an eye on the surroundings. I would hate for getting caught with bad table manners.”


After the meal, where Rarity and Octavia once again enjoyed how the wine mixed exellent with the salty touch of iron, Octavia ordered the stallion to sleep a couple of hours. Then she ordered him to go home, eat a steady breakfast and not remember anything of this evening. The rules were to avoid killing, only leave them dizzy. Dead ponies only alerted the guards. Satisfied with tonight's business, they put their hoods back on and went back to their respective lodgings. Back at the hotel, Rarity fell asleep almost at once.

The morning after, she awoke a new pony. Younger, invigorated, more living. A nice good portion of blood did wonders to one’s person. To bad it was three weeks to the next hunt. However, a hotel breakfast was a nice treat.

After two cups of tea, three scones with cheese and some figs, she was ready. She checked out and went to the train station. There she found Fluttershy. “Ah, Fluttershy darling! Good morning! Slept well, I hope?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Yes, thank you Rarity. I always feel… a new pony after a hunt.”

“Oh, same here! It is too bad we have to wait.”

“Yes, Rarity. It is. But it says in the rules, ‘never too often, never kill…”

“...Or the hunters your blood will spill’, Oh trust me, I know. But still. Honestly, this feels so refreshing! And so inspirational, last time, I created a whole summer line in one day and re-decorated the boutique. Imagine what I could do if we hunted every night! Or perhaps had a pony all to myself…”

Fluttershy looked around to see if anypony was listening, then she gave Rarity a worried look. “Rarity...Please don't talk like that.”

Rarity smiled, “Darling, I was barely jesting. Ever since the muffins incident… As long as we stay within the rules we keep the treaty. But one can at least dream.”

Fluttershy sighed, “Being Nosferatu is a more complicated life than one would expect.”

“You get used to it. Before you know it, it’s been 250 years.”

Since Fluttershy seemed uncomfortable talking about her new situation, Rarity steered the conversation to more neutral subjects. They talked about the need to cut Opal’s claws, the seemingly eternal subject of ‘when will Lyra propose to Bon-Bon’, how hard it could be to find good gelato, and how an earth anypony could eat marrows! The train ride always felt short when one had company, and this was no exception, and soon enough, the train slowed down at Ponyville Railway station. They said their goodbyes, but not until they’d booked a spa-date on wednesday. Rarity went home. She had a simple glass of water and for a moments she played with the idea to spend the day socializing. But she decided to stay true to her word, and so Rarity spent the rest of the day in her boutique. When she had made her ‘work-tea’ and donned her red glasses, she was ready, and sat down at her workbench. As she predicted, the inspiration came the second she put the pen on the paper, and for ten straight hours, she worked. Worked and worked and worked, and when she finally looked up from her workbench, she noticed it was 12 o’clock at night.

“Oh dear,” then she shrugged her shoulders, “Oh well, I am supposed to be nocturnal after all. Better not waste the beautiful works of the Night Mother.” She knew that her sisters also used the night’s to the full. Octavia for composing and Sweetie for homework, but still.

Rarity didn’t see herself as a complex or complicated mare, but in reality, she was an interesting study for a cutiemark-expert. Her cutiemark was three gems, and finding and retrieving gemstones WAS her special talent. However, dressmaking was almost like a second mark to her, and in reality, it was more like she had three special talents. One for gems, one for stitching (her dresses had the most daring cuts) and one for color.

“Color,” she said to anypony willing to listen, “are in a way like ponies. If they don’t like or accept each other, nothing will happen. You can take the best fabric, the most expensive of threads and the best pattern and yet you get a catastrophe if the color’s doesn’t work together. One has to listen to them, talk to them, find the flow. You can't just toss it together on a whim, you have to WORK! But once you’ve established that contact, anything is possible. Sometimes, it’s about getting the proportions right. 50 % Green can’t take 50 % Brown, but match it 30-70 and it’s a go! Sometimes, you need a negotiator. Purple and green will never match, but add some black that works with them both and voila! The thing is, in the end, if I as an artist try to make the colors match with my will, disaster will follow. Only when the colors are both in consent, the magic will happen!”

Night passed into morning as the needles floated the air and fabric was cut, stitched, and transformed from boring sheets to works of art. 23 dresses later, and time was 7.30. Time for breakfast. And Rarity still had energy left. She could of course keep working, but it promised to be a beautiful day, and it would be a waste not to use it. So she went outside. She was hesitating at first until she decided that breakfast at Pierre’s would be nice. Perhaps she would meet some of her friends! Perhaps she even would meet Twilight.

Beautiful, beautiful Twilight. Stupid, stupid Twilight. Stupid, beautiful Twilight. Rarity had been in love with the Alicorn even before she became princess. Ever since that infamous sleepover, where she finally learned that behind all Twilight’s knowledge and attitude there was a real pony with insecurities and feelings just as everypony else. And the more she got to know Twilight, the stronger her feelings became, moving from friendly, to like, to like-like, to adore and finally, to love. And why not? She was cute, absolutely nerdable really. And she always found time for her friends if they were in trouble. And she always tried to help. Always. And she was organized, and smart, and perfectly suited to be a princess.
Rarity wished that she could be her princess. But she never dared to say this straight to her face. Imagine the scandal! Instead she dropped hints, subtle clues, small wordplays, anything! ...But saying it straight to her.

One would think a well-read mare like her would get what Hoovespeare meant with
“ I never tempted her with words too large,
but, as a brother to his sister, show'd
bashful sincerity and comely love,”
but NOOOOO…

She had long ago resigned to being the good friend. Because... Because... It was easier that way. Yes, she would rather stay in the unknown and be miserable than to know and have her heart broken.

Yes, let's pretend that's it, shall we? She shook her head and pushed those thoughts away once again as she closed the door behind her. She had only walked a few feet from the boutique before she saw Twilight. Well, as they say, 'speak of Discord...' She was walking briskly with Spike on her back, on the way to town hall for some important business. At least it looked important, since Spike had quill and parchment in hand. And since they looked as busy as always, once again she swallowed her feelings, smiled and greeted them in her usual chose-free manner.

“Twilight, darling! How are you today?”

Twilight turned her head towards Rarity and smiled when she saw who it was. “Oh, good morning Rarity! I’m fine, just a bit tired. I was up until three, writing some petitions for the city council. And I woke up a bit earlier than I should have, I guess.”

“Ah, don’t say it, darling. Duty can be such a hard mistress. Oh, and Spike, how nice to see you! Your spines are more shining than usual, I believe!”

Spike blushed. “Oh, Rarity…”

“Oh, but one should compliment when it is demanded, darling. And Twilight, you… ”

Twilight didn't look the epitome of well rested and alert at all. Her mane was out of place and there was some growing bags under her eyes. “Up until three you say? And yet here you are, up and running. Are you sure you are ok? With the paperwork done, I’m sure you could take some time off.”

Twilight waved her off and Spike rolled his eyes. Apparently he’d tried to tell her the same thing. “I’m fine, Rarity. It’s no big deal. And I have too much to do anyway. After delivering this, I need to read a Naval treaty with the seaponies and then arrange a meeting with the Griffonia ambassadeur and then…”

Rarity interrupted her. “Ah, but that must be possible to postpone? I mean, the treaty will still be there later today and how long will it take to write to the ambassadeur?”

“Yeah, Twilight,” Spike said, “I mean, I can bring the petitions, and the letter to the ambassadeur is already done! I can send it myself. You should really take the morning off.”

“Spike! It is only the fourth draft! If I don’t get it right, there would be strong diplomatic incidents and…”

Rarity stopped listening and sighed. She’d seen it way too many times before. Twilight could never be persuaded into anything when she was like this. Might as well say good morning and hope she won't crash until dinnertime. Then a thought struck her, maybe because they had discussed the matter two nights before, or perhaps for slightly shadier reasons, but still. Perhaps she could be... controlled… No, no! Oh no! Sister would kill me if I caused an intermezzo in plain daylight.

She didn’t hear Twilight, only saw her lips move. She was busy, deep in thought.

But… Wouldn't relieving another pony from a burden be a good thing? She always overdoes things, and never listens to Spike…

But mind control is serious! It needs to be used with the utmost caution.

Just look at her! Look at her! It’s a WPT!

It’s not THAT bad… Alright, it is.

Yes! This NEEDS to be done! It’s not like I’m going to eat her or anything!

Alright. Let’s do this.

“...and then I have to mbfhhh?!!?” Rarity’s hoof effectively silenced Twilight. “Dear, I understand everything you do is important, but so is your wellbeing. Listen to me… and look at me. Look at me. And listen. Listen.” For a brief second, Rarity’s eyes flashed red. “Listen.”

“I’m… listening.”

“Listen. You deserve rest. You deserve. Rest.”

“Rest… I...deserve…”

“Yes, Twilight, you deserve rest. Spike can deliver the petitions. Spike.”

“Spike…”

“ The naval treaty can wait, and the letter is done.”

“Done...yes…”

“ You will have the day off, and you will spend it with me.”

Yes! Yes she will! Because… I need to keep an eye on her, in case something goes wrong. Yes, that's right. Nothing else.

“Yes… That sounds… lovely...Rarity.”

“Then it's a deal! Spike?”

Spike stared at Rarity. “How did you do that? She never listens to me!”

Rarity shook her mane coquettish. “Oh, Spike… Sometimes it simply takes a mare to get through to another mare. Will you be a dear and take care of the papers? Wonderful! And then, I think you should surprise Sweetie with ice cream, my treat. I have a princess to rest!


Rarity led the way to Pierre’s. It was a very learning experience. She had used her abilities before, but that was merely for hunting or sometimes to escape, but never in a casual setting like this. Rarity had happily chatted away while Twilight answered with “yes”, “no” and “maybe”. It was first when Twilight said “no” when she asked if she wanted sandwiches or cupcakes with her tea, that she realized something.

Unless I give her the order to actually conversate with me, this is how it will be. it is Twilight on autopilot! Actually, it’s rather funny, but I can’t have her like this. Ponies will be suspicious.

“Twilight, darling?”

“Yes.”

“Please conversate with me.”

“Conversate…”

“Yes, you know, conversation? Talking about weather, politics, how expensive everything is… stuff like that.”

Twilight was silent. Rarity ordered tea and a plate of sandwiches. The orders were taken, and the food delivered and still Twilight just sat there, staring. Rarity had taken a sip when Twilight suddenly ejaculated, “It’s a beautiful day!”

Rarity smiled. “Yes darling, it really is. The weatherponies have done a great job.”

No reply. Another silence. Rarity lifted a sandwich, offered one to Twilight who took it in her magic and began to chew, but said nothing. And then all of a sudden she exclaimed, “Politics are the art of possibilities!”

Rarity gave an uncertain smile. “Yes, darling… That was very… profound of you.”

Once again Twilight was silent. Rarity gave her another sandwich and her tea. She ate and drank. And then, after almost a minute, it came. “Things are so expensive here in Equestria.”

Rarity shook her head in slight despair. This was just so wrong, she was only repeating what Rarity suggested! “Twilight, darling… that’s not… oh for pony’s sake… let us just conversate about one subject! Talk to me about… I don’t know… oh ponyfeathers… Me.”

“I will conversate… you.”

This time Twilight was silent for over five minutes, looking straight forward and not moving an inch. Rarity waved a hoof in front of her once, to no reaction. She began to fear she’d lost Twilight, when she suddenly spoke in what sounded almost like normal Twilight.

“You look great today, Rarity. Like, really great. Even greater than usual.”

Rarity was completely taken aback by the sudden and oddly phrased compliment that she didn’t know what to say.

“Uhm...thank you...darling…”

“Indeed,” Twilight continued, “Have you done something to your mane? It looks even more flowing than usual. Is it simply brushing or conditioner?”

“Oh… Both actually.”

“Fascinating!” Twilight spoke like Rarity had just given her the solution to a difficult math problem, “I have tried to change my mane from time to time, but that never stays for long. I even asked them at the spa once, that time you decorated my castle, remember? But it was gone by the afternoon. How do you DO it?”

Rarity explained, down to the deepest detail, how she took care of her mane. Twilight looked at her like a pupil hanging on to her professors lips. Never before had Rarity had such a good audience. And after talking about her mane, Twilight discussed her fur, her hooves and even how to take care of one’s fetlocks.

“So, you have to cut them at least four times a week? That is so interesting! Because I’ve been thinking that once a week was enough. It is so interesting to talk with you, Rarity!”

“Oh, please! That is just too much, Darling! But, do go on!” But Rarity could not help the wide smile on her lips. This was just so gratifying. The smartest alicorn in the world praising your coiffure like it was a theorem. “Oh, but Darling! Look at the time! Dear Pierre must need the table for other guests! We must take our leave.”

“Let’s go to your place! I would love to see the Carousel Boutique from the inside!”

Rarity stared at Twilight. Sure, she had told her to talk about her, but this? This was a slight step further than she’d imagined. She should end this now, before it went too far.

But would it hurt to show her her boutique just a little?

And soon, they found themselves inside the boutique. Twilight spoke the instant they were inside. “This is really lovely, Rarity!”

“Oh, please darling! You have been to my house before!”

“Yes, but… not like this! Not with you… like this!”

Rarity swung round. “What do you mean with that? Not with me ‘like this?”

Twilight walked up to her. “Well, not realising how interesting it is to be with you and to get to know you. Really get to know you…”

Rarity blushed. That sounded almost like a declaration of love. Dang it, it WAS a declaration of love. Of course, there was no wink in Twilight’s eyes, she just smiled her usual warm smile. Oh sweet saint megan was she beautiful. Rarity leaned forward to…

NO! NO! A thousand times, NO! We do NOT kiss our best friend involuntarily.

But it doesn’t need to be. We can just tell her to and she will do it.

Ye...NO! No! We can not do that to Twilight!

Sure we can…

“Twilight...would you like to kiss me?”

“Yes, Rarity. I do.”

“Then… kiss me.”

And then she leaned forward and gave Rarity a kiss straight on her lips. It was soft and inexperienced, pretty much how Rarity had imagined Twilight as a kisser. But it was Twilight. And that made it ten times better than anypony else. Twilight drew her head back and smiled, and damn, wasn’t there a slight wink in the eyes now?

“Did you like it?”

“DID I? Darling, I loved it!”

“Do you want to do it again?”

Rarity didn’t answer, instead she put her hoof around Twilight’s head and pulled her in for a longer kiss. They stood there long, lips connected. Rarity could stay this way for years if so. But eventually they had to break.

“Let’s...let’s sit down somewhere more comfortable, shall we?”

“Yes darling.”

Darling? Okay, this was new. But Rarity didn’t mind. Twilight walked over to the couch in the corner and sat down. She flashed her eyelids and made a gesture for Rarity to come over. Rarity walked on clouds over the floor…

...only to come to a sudden halt just one step away. A sudden hunch had come up.

“Twilight… can you please answer a question?”

“Yes, of course darling.”

“Can you tell me the difference between...um… chiffon and georgette?”

She knew of course, but she wanted… no, needed to know what Twilight was going to say.

“Oh, but darling! Isn’t it obvious? While they do share some similarities, the chiffon is WAY more elegant than the other. It is barely worth to use for simple clothing, boring clothing! Chiffon, on the other hand…”

Rarity tuned her out. Her suspicion was true. This was not Twilight, or at least not the pony she knew and loved. Twilight would be all technical, in case she actually knew the answer, she would have said “chiffon is a lightweight, balanced plain-woven sheer fabric, while Georgette is a more dull-finished crêpe fabric. This was not Twilight being Twilight, this was Twilight emulating Rarity.

Because that was the order, wasn’t it? Conversate ...me. Like me. Be me. And since I want to … she does that as well.

For a moment, Rarity was shook by an inner crisis.

Isn’t this what you want?

No.

You can keep her like this! Always!

No. I can’t.

Why not? Is it so bad that she has no will of her own? Look how she treats herself! Constantly overworked, panicking, OCD-ing… You heard Spike! You will treat her right! You will make her relax! You will do her a favour!

No… No…

Come on! She will love you, she will listen, she will actually GET how important fashion is! And she will stop wearing all those...hideous things! And most of all… She will be mine. Forever.

“No!”

Twilight looked up. “Rarity? What’s wrong?”

“Oh… Eh… Sleep!” Rarity had no idea if that would work, but to her surprise it did, as Twilight sank back on the couch, eyes closed.

“This is bad. This is really bad! I almost made the single biggest mistake I have ever made!”

Mistake? A mistake is what you are making now! Here you have the chance to solve the biggest problem of all... How to tell her...

"No... no... Perhaps she..."

Perhaps nothing! After all these years, you know that ANYTHING can happen! Anything! And don't tell me that you're not worried about it.

She sighed, and sank down on her haunches. "No. I won't."

You are blinded by love, Rarity. You have pushed all questions aside just because you want Twilight, but this needs to be solved! And this IS the solution! Look at her! She will never ask questions, never worry...

"Never think!" She rose, and began to pace to and fro over the floor. “Oh, wouldn’t that be sunshine and lollipops."

I'll have lollipops anytime compared to the alternative...

She stopped at the far end of the room and looked at the sleeping Twilight. Once again she sighed, this time deeper. But the she rose her head, with a new light in her eyes. "Perhaps I have been naive. And perhaps smoke has been in my eyes. And sure enough, this will solve almost everything. But… it still won't be right. Because no matter what I want... In the end, it all depends on the colors.”

She walked over to her friend, and gently stroke her mane. “The colors. After all these years I know. I can’t force the colors, no matter the convenience. I love that mare with every part of my body and it hurts like tartaros to not have her. But…” She paused, and looked down on the floor, “I know darn well that it doesn’t work just because I want it to. As well as two colors don’t work together unless they want to, neither will we.”

She looked over at the sleeping Twilight. “Sure, it will be just as I want it… Every whim she will follow, everything I ask she will do. She will live for me, adore me. And... I will never have to tell her. Just as I want. But that would be a lie."

Even her thoughts was silent. "And with Twilight... I don't want a lie. It is the real Twilight that I want, not some kind of mock-twi. We will be just like green and purple, without the black to meddle, we are nothing.”

And then, Rarity began to cry softly. But after some time, she regained her composure and walked over to the couch. She leaned closer to Twilight, resisted the urge to give her a quick peck on the cheek and whispered in her ear.

“Twilight. Listen, and listen good. Forget about everything. Forget about this afternoon. Forget what I said. Forget what you said. We had a great time, and that was it. We had tea, and I lended you my couch for you to take a little nap. And that was it. I will leave now. When you hear the door, you will wake up. And when you awake...” Rarity swallowed, and a tear ran down her cheek, “...everything will be like it was before.”


One week later, Rarity passed Twilight in the street again. It had been a busy week for both of them, and they hadn’t have any time to meet. Rarity was rather glad for that, she would never have lived seeing Twilight so soon after the last time. Now, it was unavoidable, as Twilight saw her first, waved and came over. She was coming from the train station, apparently from some kind of royal business, because she wore a real quirky dress, which she never did on any other occasion. It looked like one of Maud’s frocks, but a strange pale yellow with a beige midriff.

“Rarity!” She gave her friend a hug, “It’s been ages! Well, just a week, but still!”

“Yes, darling.”

“This week has been… oh, don’t start me talking! Yaks, reindeers… It has been non stop! And speaking of that, I must thank you for last week! My memory is a little dim, but Spike told me you more or less ordered me to take the day off! And it was WONDERFUL! I haven’t felt that relaxed in ages! Thank you! Oh, I must repay you! Tea at Pierres? Today? My treat?”

Rarity looked Twilight over. She was a great friend. A really great friend. Perhaps that was all there would be, perhaps things would develop. Who knew? But nevertheless, she had to let things take their own time this time. Nothing was to do.

“Oh, what do you think of the dress? I bought it myself from a little shop in Trotholm. I love the color!”

Rarity woke up from her thoughts, and looked at the dress. A hopeless color. But… perhaps… “Just a moment dear!” Rarity rushed over to a tree where she had her accessory stash in case of accessory-emergencies. Pinkie Pie had some good ideas. Soon she was back with a scarf. It was a dull pink, with some darker stripes irregularly placed over it. She tied it around Twilight's neck in a loose knot. It looked wonderful. The colors didn’t like each other, they loved each other. “There. Perfect. And I would love to have tea with you. Let’s not let Pierre wait, shall we?”

She gave smimed with her whole face. Perhaps it would lead somewhere still. Because she knew colors. After 273 years, she ought to, and ponies weren't really that different.

After all, white and purple worked excellent together. Even better with a slight pinch of red.

Author's Note:

I regret nothing.

Comments ( 8 )

8/10. The vampony portion doesn't have much application beyond the hypnotism.

8191250 No, that I have to admit. But I think of it as groundwork for further stories.

8191903

8191250

After all, white and purple worked excellent together. Even better with a slight pinch of red.

was I the only one to notice that pun/joke

8219219
No, I noticed it too.

8219219
Just got it.

Login or register to comment