• Published 12th Jun 2012
  • 2,711 Views, 116 Comments

The Chaos Within - StapleCactus



Dex, a human of the Solar Guard of Equestria, has more to deal with than ever before.

  • ...
4
 116
 2,711

Meeting Discord

Discord's riddle was stupidly easy. It felt like he made it for a seven year old and only did it to mock my intelligence. 'Wood opposite white,' meaning Whitetail Woods' opposite, was the Everfree. 'As befitting of a knight' obviously meant to meet him at the old castle. With an easily discerned location, I began my journey.

Celestia and Twilight were at the station, so I had to find another way. Suffice to say, I was not going to actually walk the entire way. I skipped. Using the chaotic magic on myself allowed me to propel myself much further that a normal hop. One 'skip' was about ten feet and I was at the edge of town in no time.

As the buildings thinned out around me, great rolling plains of grass filled the space. The sky was overcast and the sun's morning rays could not penetrate the cloud cover. Far along the horizon, mountains rose to the clouds and forests blocked my view. After five minutes of 'power skipping,' I had gotten bored and switched to cartwheels. This lasted for only thirty seconds before I reached a tree, which sat alone next to the road.

It looked to be an olive tree and I had a wonderful idea as I saw someone walking down the road. Grabbing a particularly large branch, I began to pull. As the plant slowly bent towards me, I twisted my body to force the branch to the ground. At this point, the traveler had gotten close enough to talk to.

"Oye! Could you give me a hand here?" I yelled.

"A hand? What's that?" It was convenient that he wasn't very bright.

"Help me hold this branch down, won't you?" He got closer and a puzzled expression could be seen on his face. The green coat on green mane design he had just made this even more fun.

"Why are you holding the tree anyway?"

"I need to get something that I got stuck in this branch here. I can't get it if I'm holding the branch, can I?"

"I guess not." His confusion switched to a helpful smile. "Let me hold that for you."

I let him come over and grab the branch before speaking. "Do you have a good hold of it?" After getting an affirmative, I let go.

Oh, you should have been there. He didn't think about how it's generally impossible to bend a tree like that or how much strength it would require. As my hands left the branch, the tree started to straighten up. The shocked look on his face as he slowly accelerated was priceless. About halfway to its original position, the stallion was in so much shock, he let go! This allowed him to be flung through the air, back the way he came! His scream slowly faded away as he became a speck on the horizon.

Oh, Sinis, I kill me! I was laughing up a storm for a good five minutes. Wherever that pony was going, I hoped it was a village. Getting to see the looks on the villager's faces when a random colt falls from the sky would be a huge bonus. The little stunt did help me think up a faster way to move though.

Once again, I forced the tree against its intended design. When branch and earth met, released my hold on the ground. Halfway vertical, I let go and zoomed across the sky.

The wind whipping through my hair and across my face was a wonderful feeling. Turning my body lighter and more aerodynamic allowed me to fly farther. As I reached the arc of my flight, I brought my knees to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. Twisting and tumbling, I hardened moments before I hit the ground.

I got up and dusted myself off. Looking toward my starting point, I couldn't see the olive tree. Who knew those things could make you fly so far? Because I had bent the tree at a different angle, I did not fall where the pony would have. Instead, I found myself about a mile from a town. Wow, I hope he did land there! I could not see anyone's face too well, but thought better of investigating.

I have a meeting to get to, best not waste time. A wooden cart sat nearby. It had four wheels, instead of the usual two, and had arms used to steer the front. Oh, a car! I strolled over to it and hopped into its spacious bed. Boards cracked and shattered as I punched two holes into the floorboards. Slipping my legs through, I pumped my feet against the ground, allowing the vehicle to move forward. Hey mah, look! Flintstones!

I continued to pedal against the dirt until everything began to blur by. It was at this point that I forgot about steering. The cart bumped and shook as I forced it through fields of grass. I pulled my legs back and reached for the reins. Without a horse to use them on, they sat against a corner. Using all my skill as a rodeo champion, meaning none, I attempted to use the rope as a lasso. After four tries, I finally got hooked on the left steering arm.

With a way to change heading, I jumped back and put my feet through the holes again. The excitement of trying to steer with a rope and not run into anything kept me entertained til I reached the next town.

By this point, I realized it was taking much too long to reach Discord. The sun was beginning to set, even. Ponyville and the neighboring woods were at least three days out if I continued as I was. So, with nothing better to do, I began to float. I may not be able to affect anything but myself, but that doesn't mean I can't fly! Using my arms as imaginary wings, I pushed downward. I continued to do this until I was high enough to avoid trees, then pitched to lay horizontal. Finally, I forced my body to move through the air.

It didn't take too much to keep going at a reasonable pace. I wasn't just trying to get to Discord, but avoid the princesses and Elements too. If they catch me, I'm done for. Hope Discord has a plan for them.

---

The Everfree Forest appeared on the horizon just as the sun started peeking over the nearby mountains. The lack of sleep didn't bother me at all; chaos had no time to rest. A few minutes later, the forest was directly below me. So, without further ado, I swooped down and entered at a clearing.

I was quite surprised when the opening I chose held the Royal Sisters castle. Walls of stone were covered in vines and moss, while the roof had caved it a long time ago. Entryways, that may have once held wooden doors, were clear and windows had only fragments of glass in them. As I took a step inside, my sword vibrated with Discord's voice once more.

"Took you long enough."

I was having fun with chaos, what's your excuse?

"My excuse?"

I don't see you.

With a quick flash of white light, the draconequus known as Discord greeted me. The smirk on his face was exactly as I remembered last time. "Well, excuu~se me, brony."

"Uh-huh. What now?"

"Now, we spread chaos. I have a gift for you and then you can run off."

Discord wasn't one for companionship; neither was I, for that matter. Our mutual interest in chaos allowed us to have a tenuous relationship at best. Because I had helped him escape, more like Dex did what he does and the sword did all the work as Discord put it, he told me how to use the katana.

It wasn't all that special. I had already learned most of it's abilities from Twilight. Other than some of my energy being channeled to Discord, the only thing I didn't know was that I could release energy through it. At first, I thought of an anime, but apparently I can only use it when an attack is thrown at me. After a quick demonstration, Discord brought in the chocolate rain and cotton candy clouds.

"If you keep using the same thing, I don't think it's chaos."

"Poor Sinis, you don't know the first thing about chaos. Now run along and let the big boys have their fun." At that, he vanished in another flash of light.

For the spirit of chaos, he wasn't all that hard to deal with. Oh well, thanks to him I can have fun without worrying about unicorns. I didn't stay in the castle much longer and began my trek through the forest.