• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 1,012 Views, 19 Comments

The Shy Driver II: Fluttershy's Return - Wiz Ahmad



Fluttershy returns to Earth to visit Justin Davis - this time bringing her enthusiastic friends. What trouble could they possibly encounter?

  • ...
3
 19
 1,012

Chapter 8: Cleaning and Investigating

Author's Note:

All done. btw "twilidya" is just a made-up element for this story. I borrowed a few aspects from Gravity Falls (7 binders/3 journals) and Iron Man 2 (twilidya/replacement for palladium)

EDIT - tweaked a few details. (don't put all your binders in one basket)

“If I remember correctly…yes. There’s a switch hidden behind the main light switch to open this,” Justin said, observing the floor carefully, before giving out an order. “Twilight, can you get a few screwdrivers from the garage, please?”

Twilight nodded and dashed down the hall, while Starlight Glimmer simply lay down on the bed, looking rather…relaxed.

With his tools, Justin then spun the flat-headed screwdriver and removed the main switchplate, before realizing he’d forgotten an important safety measure.

“Don’t touch it!” he warned his pony friends, pointing to the exposed wires and metal switch bracket. “I’ll be back in a second.”

Justin headed outside and down into the basement, where he opened up a panel in the wall, and flipped a few switches, shutting off all electricity that flowed to the bedroom.

“Now let’s see…” he began, unscrewing a few small gold screws as his friends watched closely, especially Twilight. Soon the electrical components came loose from their metal housing. Setting them aside, Justin then used the flat end of one large screwdriver and broke the metal switch housing out of its rectangular hole in the wall. Behind it lay pitch blackness, but upon shining a flashlight inside, Twilight noticed a small, perfectly hidden lever.

With a gulp and a head bow of hope, Justin reached in with his fingers and jammed at the lever, pushing it up. The panel in the floor opened with a jerk. Rarity lifted it up to reveal a metal lid with a number keypad.

“What’s that for?”

“Security,” Justin replied with a smile. He typed in a complex number and the metal lid popped open. Inside lay a stack of zippered binders. There were only a few of them, but each one was thicker than any book in the whole of the Friendship Castle.

“The logs,” Applejack breathed.

“You bet,” Justin replied. “But we gotta do this strategically. Starlight, Rainbow, you stand guard outside at the back in case those thugs come back to snoop. Rarity and Fluttershy, patrol the driveway and front entrance area. Twilight, Spike, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack, stay here with me. No one must know what’s inside these binders, so we must be quiet in our conversations.”

Bending over, Justin lifted out the binders one by one and placed them on his comfy big bed in order, only to realize something.

“So you have three binders?” Twilight said excitedly.

Justin shook his head. "I remember I had seven, but there are only three here. I think I may have hidden the other four in various places, but I can't recall exactly where."

Justin chuckled and gave her a kiss before unzipping binder #1, causing an eruption of dust in the process.

“These records sure have been down there for a long time,” Applejack commented in a low voice, wiping down the other binders with a slightly wet rag.

“They sure have been,” Justin replied, carefully flipping through the pages of the first few pages. “Let’s see. If my predictions are correct, the most likely place I might have used the illegal components have to be in the first two binders, since that illegal part was a sub-segment of the larger segments that make up the core of the portal.”

“So how exactly does this work?” Twilight asked inquisitively.

“With lots of scientific magic,” Justin replied with a grin. He then explained, via the binders, how he constructed the portal, starting with the internal core. It used a high-density core ring made of an element called twilidya, which was formed from a mixture of several elements and atomic fragments from other natural earth-based materials. Once that was done, electricity and other chemistry-related aspects were added until the variable of electricity and power from the energy core ring could be adjusted as need be. Later, a rotational force was added, until the epicenter of the portal could then break the seal of space and galaxy matter, allowing for travel and journeying to various alternate universes.

The one problem with the portal was the immense amount of electrical power it required to run. Most of Justin’s personal money had to go towards the bills, which were five to eight times above average.

Also, after a few test runs, the twilidya would decay and have to be replaced. It was an element that took many months to produce, and required only the best and most advanced of everything – particle accelerator, amounts of the right periodic elements down to the molecule, energy conditions, atomic bits from other rare natural earth-based materials, and more.

“Last time I checked when you all entered Earth, the twilidya had decayed by about 40 percent. As such, when you return, it will decrease even more. The larger the object that goes through the portal, the more the twilidya decays.”

“And if the twilidya decays then the portal’s broken, and if the portal’s broken, then it won’t work anymore and then you’ll be in really really big trouble!” Pinkie Pie quickly said in a flash.

Justin nodded, a sad I-know-that’s-the-reality look on his face. “However, the decay is not a big concern for now. I should be fine reading these binders without intervention, as the memories are all coming back to me now, bit by bit. For now, though, it’s late, and we should all get some sleep in shifts. “Three of you will stand guard, while the rest will sleep. Then we switch. All right?”

Twilight, Spike, and Pinkie Pie all nodded.

“I second that,” Applejack said with a yawn. “I can barely believe I hardly did any work ‘round here and mah body’s already givin’ out on mah legs!”

To ensure no one felt that they were favored or had jealousy – even in the slightest – Justin made them all sleep in the guest bedroom together, while he slept in his own room.

Rarity, Spike, and Rainbow Dash took the first shift, checking for any intruders. They patrolled the property border, looking for any footprints or fingerprints on the glass panels that formed a little fence between the pool and the patio deck tiling. But nothing was to be found, not even one. Even the roads were empty, and the blacked-out BMW was nowhere to be seen or heard.

Morning came and Justin returned to the serious business of reading through his binders of documented planning, drawings, and notes on how he constructed the portal and its mechanisms. Every detail had to be read thoroughly.

“Aren’t you comin’ for breakfast, sugarcube?” AJ asked, her head peeking in the doorway.

“Just a moment, Applejack,” Justin replied, and continued looking over the pages. After another five minutes he finished half of the first binder, with no trace of the “illegal contraption” or any of its parts mentioned or shown. Feeling a little upset, he flipped the binder shut and walked out of the room.

“Did you find anything yet?” Pinkie Pie asked hurriedly, clearly disregarding the look on his face.

Rainbow Dash shot her a nasty look. “Be more considerate, Pinkie!”

Pinkie Pie blushed. “Um, I…I guess not.”

Justin nodded. “Yeah. Didn’t find it—yet. But I’m seeing how the portal came to be what it is now, and the key parts to its capabilities. And that is one key step to getting down to the heart of this situation.”