• Published 22nd Feb 2016
  • 1,380 Views, 4 Comments

The Heart of the Sun - keithsterling



After watching her first love, the Good King Sombra from the alternate world absorbing the evil princesses to save the good Princess Celestia. She retired to her private bed chamber at the Canterlot Royal Palace and breaks down. The lost was great t

  • ...
7
 4
 1,380

Prologue

Prologue

Deep beneath the Canterlot Royal Palace in the crystal caverns, a flying Princess Celestia bobs and weaves dodging the black crystal shards that shoot out in every direction trying to impale her. Her light purple eyes are bloodshot from crying as a diary she should have destroyed long ago and couldn’t bring herself to do so have caused her only son, Prince Somnus Silverlight, to turn on his mother and try to kill her. All the dark feelings she once witnessed in her own sister’s transformation has become magnified tenfold in the heart of her son. Leaving her only one choice; to keep running from her baby and find a way out of the caverns before her son catches up to her.

“MOTHER!” a deep evil voice calls as a very dark blue evil Alicorn stallion with a cyan colored mane and tail streaks toward her at an incredible speed. Before she could react, the alicorn strikes her and sends her through five crystal walls until she hits a hard stone wall at the far end of the caverns

“BABY! Pleases stop this! You are breaking my heart! I don’t want to fight you!” Celestia’s voice cracking as she struggles back to her hoofs after spitting blood from her mouth.

“BE QUIET! YOU DON’T HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE CALLED MY MOTHER! MY TRUE MOTHER LOVES HER FOALS! SHE NEVER FAKES HER LOVE LIKE YOU DID YOUR HIGHNESS!” The alicorn spit out the words with contempt as the words struck Celestia like a hammer.

“BABY! NO! I have never faked my love for you or your sisters!” Celestia heartbroken as she floats her locket out from under her collar and opens it with her magic.

“STOP CALLING ME YOUR BABY! YOU DON’T DESERVE TO HAVE ME AS YOUR SON! YOU ARE A HATEFUL ALICORN MARE WHO NEVER LOVED HER FOALS LIKE A REAL MOTHER! YOU LOVE US JUST TO KEEP US HAPPY! FATHER WAS JUST ANOTHER STALLION TO PLAY WITH HIS FEELINGS TILL YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANTED! FOALS! THE MORE YOU, TALK THE DEEPER THE LIES BECOME! YOU NEVER HAD ANY FEELINGS FOR FATHER OR US! YOU WERE USING US! THE ONLY ONE THAT CARED WAS AUNT LUNA! ” The alicorn said maliciously charging up his black horn.

“SOMNUS! NO! What you read was written by a hurt and angry mare, who watched a pony that she didn’t know loved her, sacrifice himself for her. Not this mare, who loves her late husband and cherishes what her husband, gave her... three treasures that she loved with all her heart.” Celestia sincerely said as a stoned faced Somnus peppered the back of the rock his mother was hiding behind with black crystal shards till it fractured, revealing his mother behind it.

“ALL LIES! NOTHING BUT LIES! YOU CARE NOTHING FOR US! SO WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT YOU, YOUR HIGHNESS!” Somnus said ruthlessly pinning his mother on her back as a black crystal spike begins to form above his head; suddenly a shadow appears. It was Luna.

“SOMNUS! My pupil and my nephew, what has become of you?...what happened to that noble unicorn knight that I taught about the beauty of dreams and shared the power of the night with. Has he left me alone?” Luna said a bit hurt as she lands and folds her wings to her sides, forcing Somnus to back off from his mother who quickly gets to her hoofs.

“…………..” Somnus says nothing

“I understand how powerful that dark magic makes you feel...better than anyone, dear Somnus...I know how it feels to be betrayed by your mother...I know how revenge consumes your soul...But that’s the way of the dark magic...you are stronger than that, dear Somnus...strong enough to stand by my side as protector of the night.” Luna explains as the black flames begin to go out across his body and he slowly transforms back to normal.

“NO!” Luna exclaimed in a panic as the rainbow power arcs over both Celestia and Luna’s head, striking Somnus.

The rainbow powers encircled the thrashing Somnus, slowly trying to destroy Somnus’s black magic, until at his hoofs the black magic begins to whirl faster and faster building up more and more black energy. The two forces impact each other with an enormous power spike that fights for control of Somnus’s very soul. A look of sheer terror crosses his mother’s face not knowing what would happen. But in the end, a black energy ring is sent back over the rainbow that sent the six rainbow powered ponies helplessly flying through the air till they hit the back wall and slide down.

“What? Why didn’t it work?” Twilight exclaimed very puzzled as her friends try to shake off the effects of the black magic feedback.

“It didn’t work because my baby is not of the night...he was born of the light...born from me, the Sun Princess. Your power works to light the darkness in the heart of any ponies that have allowed that darkness to filter in...my baby never let the darkness filter in…he was cursed when he was born with the darkness...Luna knows what I say is true!” Celestia said weeping as she has no idea how to get her son back.

“Celestia speaks the truth Twilight! The dark magic that Somnus uses is a mystery even to me. Just because it is a mystery to me doesn’t stop me from keeping him from falling into the darkness.” Luna exclaims as the black flames return to Somnus’s body and retake control.

“Now I can see clearly, betrayed by my mother, betrayed by my Aunt and betrayed by my friends...No pony wants me! So be it! Prince Somnus Silverlight is now dead only one remains and it’s me Fantasm the Prince of Nightmare and the Lord of the Unending Night.” Fantasm exclaims as he takes to the sky to find a place to recover and heal.

As Luna and Twilight and her friends continue to plan their next move, Celestia slips away from the camp with one thing in mind, to get back her son at any cost.

Unknown to Fantasm, Princess Celestia has been secretly following him in the huge crystal caverns since he flew off to recover and heal waiting for her chance to face the anger of her son after running from it for this long. As Fantasm comes in for a landing, she lands right behind him.

“Fantasm!” Celestia calls

“Huh?” Fantasm exclaims as he turns around to see Celestia move toward him.

“I have come to get back what you took from me! My son Somnus!” Celestia said forcefully (swinging her front hoof and pointing it towards Fantasm) as she folds her wings on her sides.

“Well guess what Your Highness...He’s not coming back and he will never come back...you caused this to happen!” Fantasm said as he assumes a posture of superiority, as Celestia’s features fall and tears begin to fill her eyes again.

“Yes, (as tears begin to fall) it was all my fault...if I just talked to him when he first brought me that cursed diary of mine, nothing like this would have happened. But instead I thought he would forget about it, it is a mistake I keep making. But he never did and the more he tried to talk to me about it the more hurt he became...till he started to believe what I wrote in the diary...those words were from the quill of a very hurt and angry Alicorn and not from your mother...SOMNUS PLEASE FORGIVE YOUR MOTHER AND COME BACK TO HER, BABY! I WILL NOT ALLOW ANOTHER STALLION I LOVE TO FALL INTO DARKNESS!” Celestia said guilt free as Somnus started to fight back against Fantasm.

“HUH! What’s going on? What did you do to me your highness?” Fantasm groans fighting to stay in control of Somnus’s body.

“I did nothing...this is the true powers of a foal born from the light...born from the Princess of the Sun...I have made a lot of mistakes in my long lifetime...but the one thing I have never done is allow myself to withhold my heart from those I love as a Princess and as a mother...A pony of complete darkness like you will never understand.” Celestia said knowing as Fantasm sneered at her with an arrogant look.

“Ahhahaha-love?” Fantasm said with a defiant smile

“Love has nothing to do with this...this colt believes his mother is going to save him from me...but once I destroy his hope...meaning destroying you, your highness…he is as good as mine.” Fantasm said as his black horn glows.

Suddenly Celestia shrieks as a huge black crystal shard shoots up from the ground and impales her on it. As the shard stops at the roof of the caverns there are three soft pings as it knocks off her two front gold horseshoes and gold tiara.

“Do you really think by killing me; you will extinguish the light of a foal born from the Sun Princess…if that’s so, you are just as foolish as my own husband’s shadow.” Celestia explains as she passes out.