• Published 29th Feb 2016
  • 444 Views, 9 Comments

One Call Away - Inkwell Prose



After yet another failed attempt at dating, Fluttershy turns to an old friend for comfort.

  • ...
2
 9
 444

Coming to Aid

"I'll see you guys later," Inkwell calls out to his friends as they walked away from his Manehattan home. He and his friends had spent the night out on the town, and it was late. They had gone to a club, but only because Inkwell's favorite DJ, Vinyl Scratch, was mixing there. But a few drinks later and his one friend trying to go home with the bartender, Inkwell decided it was best for them to go home and rest.

Walking inside, he first went into the kitchen to get a drink of water; the taste of alcohol still tainted his breath. After downing a glass, Inkwell walked into his living room and flopped down on the couch with a groan. He looked up at the ceiling, not sure if he should sleep or try to write something. Inkwell smiled; he always chose to write something. Sitting up again, we went over and sat as his work desk and grabbed a quill, preparing to finish the latest chapter of his book.

As the quill hit the parchment, the phone began to ring. Strange, nopony ever called Inkwell this late. He figured it must just be his friend, to drunk to know why he's calling. He picked up the phone and said, "Hello?", preparing to hear a groggy stallion announcing some slur at him. To his surprise, it wasn't even a stallion, it was a mare.

"H-Hello?" she said. Her voice was subtle, quiet. She sounded familiar. "Is this Inkwell?" she asks.

"Yes. Who is this?"

"It's Fluttershy." Fluttershy? He hasn't seen her since he moved away from Ponyville. She was his closest friend there, and it had hit him hard when he had to go.

"Fluttershy? Oh wow, has it been a minute. Why are you calling?" Inkwell asks.

"Well you said you were always one call away so... I just needed somepony to talk to," she replies.

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Unfortunately, a lot... I... Can you just come over?" she asks.

"What? Like, now? Fluttershy, it's damn near midnight and you live all the way in Ponyville," he replies.

"It doesn't take long flying..." She got him there. "Please, Ink, I really need you." She sounded desperate, truthful. Inkwell pitied her.

"Alright Fluttershy, but you need to get some rest first. So do I. I'll come in the morning, alright?" When no response came from her, he adds, "Seven o'clock sharp. IPromise."

She seemed hesitant at first, but agreed. "Okay, Inkwell. I'll try to get some sleep."

"Thank you Fluttershy. I'll see you in the morning."

"I'll be waiting." she said as Inkwell hung up the phone. He sat back in his chair and thought for a moment. Fluttershy, who he hasn't spoken to or seen in years, calls in the middle of the night and asks him to come over because she's upset about something. Inkwell didn't know whether to believe it or not. It was probably just one of his friends pranking him, right? No, it can't be. Nopony he knew could mimic Fluttershy's voice. It was too gentle and quiet. This was real.

So many questions swarmed Inkwell's head, but he had to go to sleep now. He got up and went into his bedroom and flopped down on the bed, the blankets and pillows encompassing him. Within minutes, Inkwell was passed out.

Unfortunately, he had forgotten to set his alarm to wake up in time. The next time he woke up, he shot up quickly, worried he'd overslept. A quick glance at the clock eased his worries. It was only six.

With a sigh of relief, Inkwell sat back up and rubbed his eyes. He needed to get a move on if he wanted to get there on time. It would be about a forty-five minute flight from Manehattan to Ponyville. Inkwell went back downstairs and got another glass of water to drink; he could still taste the alcohol. Didn't want Fluttershy to know that, did we? She wouldn't be too happy.

Fluttershy has always kept Inkwell out of trouble over the years. When he moved away, he let that mentality slip away and took up drinking and partying, leading to more than a few dangerous times. One time, Inkwell got into a bar fight with a stallion who swore he stole his drink. The stallion pulled a knife and Inkwell was cut up a bit. Luckily, Inkwell was working to clean himself up a little. The company he worked for didn't really like parts of his lifestyle either, and they've threatened to cut him off his publishing deal. Inkwell could not have that happen.

After taking a minute to stretch and breathe, Inkwell prepared to head out. He stepped outside into the crisp air of the morning, Celestia's sun just peeking over the horizon. It was a beautiful and inspirational site. But Inkwell had no time to waste. He readied himself and shot off the ground and into the air, soaring above the clouds and straight towards Ponyville.


Fluttershy barely slept. Not only because of what has happened, but now she waited anxiously for the visit of her friend. When she hung up the phone, she did go and lay down in her bed, but no sleep came until hours later, and it wasn't long. When she woke up again, Fluttershy just waited in the living room with the rest of her animals, some sleeping, some not. Those who weren't huddled around Fluttershy, still seeking some sort of answer, but all she would say was not to worry about her and that everything was alright.

Dawn came and sunlight poked its head through the cottage windows. Fluttershy had fallen asleep again on her couch, her animals still huddled around to comfort her. Soon enough, a simple and light knock was heard throughout the cottage. Fluttershy's eyes fluttered open as a second one was heard. She groaned softly and looked up at the clock. It was exactly seven o'clock sharp. Inkwell was always one to keep his word.

It took her a moment, but eventually Fluttershy got up and walked towards the door. She looked through the peep-hole first, and there he was. Inkwell stood on the other side of the door, looking a bit nervous. Maybe he thought he had the wrong house? It was weird to see him much older, also. His wings grew in very well and he finally fixed that messy hair of his. Fluttershy decided it was time to greet him again after so long.

She opened the door, and Inkwell's face lit up with joy. "Fluttershy!" he said excitedly, moving in and hugging Fluttershy tightly. Fluttershy smiled, hugging him as tight as she could. The hug lasted a minute or so. When the embrace was broken, she led him inside. Inkwell looked around the same cottage he used to play in when they were younger. It was as if nothing had changed, except for the extreme quantity of animals that now surrounded him at his hooves. "Woah! Where did all of these animals come from?" he asks.

"Well I'm sure you remember my passion for animals. They just grew in numbers over the years." Angel hopped over and hugged Inkwell's leg. "Oh, Angel remembers you! Isn't that adorable?" she asks.

Inkwell leaned down and pet Angel, then he hopped away. "Wow, it's been a minute since I've seen him. Also you for that matter. So are you finally gonna tell me what's wrong?" he asks, a bit abruptly. Fluttershy looks down at the floor, scuffing the floor with her hoof. "Fluttershy?"

"Can't we catch up first? I mean, it has been awhile since we've talked," Fluttershy said, trying to dismiss Inkwell's advances. Inkwell didn't like that she was though; he was rather worried about her. Still, he agreed. "We could go for a walk so we're not cooped up inside the cottage, too." With that, Fluttershy quickly trotted towards the door, leaving Inkwell no choice but to follow. After she said goodbye to the animals, they both headed out, Fluttershy leading him to... somewhere. He really didn't know. Surely it wasn't far though.

About an hour into their walk, though, Inkwell realized that Fluttershy has just been leading him around Ponyville with no real final destination. Still, it was a nice time to just catch up and talk. Fluttershy told him stories about how she and her friends were these saviors of Equestria and saved everypony on many occasion, and it really intrigued him. Inkwell had heard about these heroes, but never expected Fluttershy to be one of them. The shiest pony he knew, a hero. Inkwell asked to see her friends, but she said they were all busy.

Another hour into their walk, Fluttershy finally took a different path, heading outside of Ponyville and towards the Everfree forest. Inkwell remembers that forest all too well. One time, a ball he was kicking around flew into the Everfree. When he went inside to retrieve it, a large Timberwolf confronted him. He froze in place as the Timberwolf howled loudly. Inkwell turned hoof and ran out as fast as he could, totally forgetting to grab his ball. He never saw it again, and still has nightmares of the Everfree to this day.

Thankfully, she didn't head into the forest. Instead, Fluttershy turned towards a large gazebo in a clearing. It was made out of trees, with green panels decorated beautifully with white hearts that wrapped around the trees to create the roof. It was rather magnificent, and Fluttershy went and sat beneath it all. Inkwell sat down next to her, hoping to finally get some answers out of her. Still she wouldn't budge.

"C'mon Fluttershy. I flew all the way over here to help you. But I can't help if I don't know what's wrong though. Why won't you tell me?" he asks persistently.

"I-It's just...." Fluttershy looks down, refusing to speak again.

"Please Fluttershy, I'm here to help." Inkwell lifts her eyes back up to his, "What's been up with you? Why are you so upset?"

Fluttershy wouldn't meet his gaze, but she gave a small answer, "I-I'm lonely..."

"Huh?" Inkwell tilts his head.

She wiped a tear from her eyes and elaborated. "My friends said I should go out a-and try to find a n-nice stallion to be with. But, n-nopony is right for me. They a-all turn out so.... terrible! A-And I don't really know w-what to do..." Another tear started falling down her cheek and Inkwell wiped it away. Poor thing; she was emotionally distraught.

"Oh, Fluttershy. I'm so sorry. I had no idea." He wrapped her up in a tight hug, allowing her to cry into his fur. He held her there until she stopped, then held her more.

"I-I just don't know why all the stallions I meet turn out so bad..," she spoke between tears, trying to control herself.

"Sh-h, Fluttershy, it's alright. It's their loss, not yours. I'm sure there's the perfect stallion out there for you." Inkwell hopes what he was saying was the truth.

"B-but where?" she asks, looking back up at him.

"I'm not sure," he says, "but he's out there. Somewhere. And when the time is right, he will make it presence known and you two will be happy together. I know it."

"T-that's easy for you to say... You already found your perfect mare..."

"H-huh?" Inkwell asks, taken aback.

"Kestrel..." was all she said after that. She was talking about Kestrel Feather, another fillyhood friend of hers. Over the years, however, Inkwell and Kestrel had grown to be extremely close friends. The last time she saw Inkwell, him and Kestrel had started dating. She moved to Manehattan with him, since they were both going to the same school.

Inkwell was silent. He didn't really know how to respond. Yes, Kestrel and him dated before but now... "Me and Kestrel aren't together anymore..."

Now it was Fluttershy's turn to be silent. It hit her like a rock and she looked up again quickly. "Y-You're not?" Inkwell shook his head. "But why? You two seemed so happy together."

"Indeed, but problems soon arose after we moved to Manehattan. Things just became really awkward between us. The sudden switch from friend to marefriend was something I can't explain, but it just didn't seem right. We stopped dating a week after we moved, and decided it's best if we just stay friends." With every word he said, pain noticeably rang in his voice, and Fluttershy heard it loud and clear.

"Oh, I-I had no idea, Ink. I'm so sorry." Fluttershy says.

"No, no, it's fine. Really. It just wasn't meant to be with us." Fluttershy didn't really know what else to say, so she just hugged him again. She noticed his embrace was tighter than before. "Right now though, I just want to help you, in any way I can."

Fluttershy smiles into Inkwell's chest. "I can't thank you enough, Ink. This is why you've always been such a great friend."

"Oh I try, Flutters."

"But you succeed every time." Now they were both smiling as they broke their hug and sat next to each other beneath the gazebo. Fluttershy wiped away the last of her tears and regained control of her emotions. The two began some more small talk, Ink about his time in Manehattan and Fluttershy about how she cares for all of her animals.

"Wow, I can't imagine having to feed a bear. Them things scare the hell out of me." says Inkwell.

Fluttershy giggles and replies, "Harry is such a sweetheart once you get to know him, though. It's no trouble at all."

Inkwell laughs and smiles, then looks up at the sky. Celestia was beginning to lower the sun. Wow, has time flown by. "Oh man, maybe we should start heading back. Before we know it, it's gonna be dark."

"You're right, we should. But I'm not... ready for you to leave yet.." says Fluttershy.

"Who says I'm leaving?" Inkwell replies with a smile. "Can I not stay over?"

"W-Well where would you sleep?"

"We can figure that out when we get there. Now let's go." Inkwell stood up and held out a hoof for Fluttershy to grab. She took it generously and they started trotting back towards Fluttershy's cottage. Once they got there, Fluttershy told the animals that Inkwell was being generous enough to make their company for the evening. They all seemed really happy about that.

"Can you excuse me for a moment, Ink? I do need to feed the animals and prepare them for bed." Fluttershy says.

"Sleep already? It's a bit early, no?" he asks.

"Not for them. They tend to go to sleep earlier than us ponies. But that means they wake up much earlier." Inkwell sat down on the couch and watched as Fluttershy made her rounds. She filled up every bowl on the floor with food and water, fixed up their beds, gave a few squirrels a bath, and tucked all of them in, even Harry. It was somewhat amusing to see it all unfold. Soon enough, all of Fluttershy's animals were fast asleep in their beds, and Fluttershy returned to Inkwell and sat down next to him.

"Wow, Flutters. You really do know how to take care of animals. I've never seen anything like that before. You work really fast," Inkwell praises.

Fluttershy gave a small smile and says, "It takes years and years of practice, Ink. Obviously, I didn't come to do all this in a single day." Fluttershy replies.

Inkwell agrees. "Y'know, it's been fun coming to visit. I should've done it a long time ago. Sadly, I just kinda forgot you. I'm sorry for that."

"Oh, it's alright, Ink. I kinda forgot about you too," Fluttershy says, giggling lightly.

Inkwell laughs a little too, "Yeah, so you did. So, do you think you'll be fine when I head back out tomorrow?"

"I... I'm not sure, really. Your visit took my mind off things, yes, but..."

"Hey, listen. I think you'll be fine. Honestly."

"But why?"

Inkwell took a deep breath, then explained, "Because you are the kindest, smartest, and most loyal pony I personally know. You are strong in your own unique ways, and that's what makes you amazing. Like I said before, the stallion of your dreams is out there somewhere, and he's looking for you. He's searching far and wide for you, and the day he finds you will definitely be one to remember."

"Y-You really think all that about me?" Fluttershy asks, a bit stunned.

"Of course I do! I don't know why anypony wouldn't. It's all true."

Fluttershy wraps him up in another hug, smiling happily. When she broke it, she froze, finding herself staring into Inkwell's eyes. Suddenly, she felt something, a feeling stirring up in her stomach, causing it to knot up. It was something different; she hadn't even felt it with those other stallions. Inkwell noticed her staring and tilted his head. "What? Something on my face?"

"N-No. I-I don't really know. I-I just..."

"What is it, Fluttershy? What's wro-" Inkwell was stopped short as Fluttershy leaned in and kissed him. It stunned him, even as her lips left his. Her face hued a deep red, showing how shocked she was that she kissed him.

"F-Fluttershy?.." Inkwell asks, stuttering greatly. Fluttershy couldn't think of a response. What had she just done? Why did she do that? Why? Questions filled her head, causing her to blank out. Inkwell spoke again, but she didn't hear it. It wasn't until he was getting up that she knew what was going on.

"W-What? Ink, d-don't leave!" Fluttershy cries, breaking out of her trance.

"I-I gotta go, Flutters. I..." he couldn't finish. He quickly opened up the door and shot off, flying high into the sky, still hearing the cries of Fluttershy in the distance. He couldn't be there, not now, not like that. He needed to go away for a bit; he needed to think about what had just happened.

Fluttershy watched as Inkwell flew away from her window, regretting the decision she made. Angel heard the commotion and hopped out into the living room. He saw Fluttershy, her head tilted down, her hoof on the window. A single tear dropped to the carpet, and Inkwell was gone.

Comments ( 2 )

Wow. The ending got to me... Right in the feels bud.... Right in the feels...
It really is a great story. Keep up the amazing work. :twilightsmile:

Man this is a great story sad it's been canceled

Login or register to comment