• Published 12th Jun 2012
  • 13,054 Views, 314 Comments

Harmless Shenanigans(?) With Princess Luna - Bigwig6666



After some pressure from her sister, Princess Luna decides to join up for a dating website in order to meet a nice pony and settle down. Who she finds, however, has more in common with her than you would think.

  • ...
128
 314
 13,054

Eleven - This Goes To Eleven

The sun was just barely glimpsing the horizon when the birds started to sing. The grass and the trees swayed gently in the breeze, as a few rogue clouds from the Everfree forest drifted over the still mostly sleeping town. Mostly sleeping, due to one particular, disgruntled, purple unicorn.

Twilight Sparkle, formerly the Ponyville librarian, now a princess (still Equestria's top bookworm), had grown accustomed to being awake early as to be immediately ready in case of disaster or otherwise emergency. She had not, however, grown accustomed to or even suspected that she'd be listening to her two royal guests... frolic all night in the room above hers. Approximately a year and a half had passed since they had come. Also unfortunately, she realised the walls and floors of the Ponyville library, now known as the Great Library, are made of paper disguised as wood.

She watched the space above her with wide eyes. Wide, oh so tired eyes. "How can anypony do something like that for so long?" she mumbled and blinked slowly.

From up above she heard muffled voices, apparently arguing, then silence.

"Jeez now they whisper?" Twilight muttered and turned over. "At least it's quiet now and I might be able to get some sle-"

The door burst open with a very loud bang, startling the princess and completely removing any notion of sleep.

Princess Luna, one of her guests. "Princess of Equestria, Queen of the Night. Nightmare Moon. Sister of Celestia." thought Twilight, bitterly, "and she's staying in my house ruining my sleep." She pondered for a moment as Luna made her way towards her. "Wow. Spike was right. Maybe I am a bit grumpy when I'm tired." She flexed her wings and smiled at the princess before her. "Hello Princess Lu-" she started.

"Morning Princess Sparkle," Luna grunted. She looked over her shoulder and bit her lip. "Okay, she's not coming down just yet. Good." She fixed Twilight with a stare. "Miss Sparkle. I require a favour from you."

"Anything if I can get some sleep."

"Lulu and I have had a... disagreement of sorts." Twilight spotted the princess's lip trembled and pushed all thoughts of sleep away. Luna regained her composure and continued. "So I am going to..." She struggled for words. "Go for a... walk... let's say," she finished, guiltily.

Twilight Sparkle frowned. "But p-princess, uh... Luna," she sputtered. They were equals now technically. "Surely if something's bothering you, you should both talk-"

"No!" Luna shouted, startling Twilight with the sudden raise in volume. "No," she repeated. "I just need... a walk. Can you... cover for me?" she asked. Her eyes pleaded with Twilight.

The purple alicorn sighed. "Princess, this goes against my better judgement, friends -and girlfriends-" she lectured, "should talk about they're problems, not run away from them..." she bit her lip, "but alright. I'll cover for you. But will you promise you'll be back soon?"

Luna nodded. "Oh yes, course. Thank you Twilight." She grabbed Twilight's hoof and shook it vigorously. "Alright, see you soon." She spread her magnificent wings, opened the window with her magic, and braced herself.

Twilight whispered as she left. "Back soon, please."

The Princess of the Night held back the tears and nodded in response to the Princess of Friendship. "I know," she whispered back as she galloped forwards and soared into the dawning sky.

Twilight shook her head and glanced towards the door. She could hear footsteps approaching. Then the human rounded the corner, took one look at the open window, Twilight's bewildered expression, and sank to her knees. "She's gone isn't she?" she mumbled.

The alicorn rushed out of bed and comforted the two legged, pinkish skinned girl sitting in her doorway. "Umm..." She thought for a moment. "...Yes, but-"

Lulu, also known as Luna, burst into tears and started sobbing uncontrollably, interrupting Twilight for the third time this morning.

"Ohh no, no, no Lulu!" Twilight cried as she embraced the crying human. "She's coming back, she promised. That's alright isn't it?" she said, and offered a hoof to help her up.

Lulu gazed up at the alicorn and nodded. She rubbed her eyes and fought to keep her lip from quivering. "S-sorry," she mumbled, "sorry T-twilight..." She sniffed and took the friend's hoof in her hand. She watched as her four fingers and one thumb wrapped around the diminutive (by human standards) purple hoof. "Sorry," she repeated herself. "It's just..." she trailed off.

"It's alright Lulu. Why don't we get some breakfast and you tell me what's happened?" The princess offered with a smile."

The human nodded. "Sure."

"Come on then. Oh." The princess paused. "Spike, could you-" She looked down at the little dragon, her oldest friend and closest companion. Still fast asleep in his bed, oblivious and dead to the world.

"Hnnn... Rarity..." he mumbled softly.

Twilight grinned at Lulu, who grinned back. "Let's just let him sleep," she said.

Lulu forced a smile, feeling the tears coming back. "Yeah."

***

After some hot chocolate, some toast soldiers (during which Lulu was overcome with bewilderment that the My Little Pony universe actually had toast soldiers she forgot how to breathe) and lots of talking, the princess finally understood what had happened.

"So what happened was you were feeling homesick, right?" Twilight asked, perched on the edge of her chair.

"Yes," Lulu confirmed, also perched.

"And you said you maybe wanted to have visited Earth and seen your sister, Celeste, right?"

"Yes."

"And Luna kinda went crazy and thought you wanted to leave for good?"

"...Yeah. We argued after that."

Twilight Sparkle shook her head and placed both hooves on the table. "Surely the princess realises that this is just a mistake and she's, I don't want to sound mean or anything here," she clarified, "that she's overreacting right?"

Lulu shrugged. "I really don't know. I mean, a thousand years of solitude and then suddenly she gets a friend, me, and we have a thing." She sighed and missed Twilight narrowing her eyes. "I guess it would be difficult for anyone, or anypony should I say? To have rejection issues" She sipped her hot chocolate and bit down on some toast.

The Princess of Friendship opened her mouth to say something, but was interrupted a fourth time this morning by a drowsy Spike. Both pony and human smiled at him, glancing at each other, agreeing to keep this from anybody, dragon or pony, just them.

"Morning... ahhh... Twilight," the dragon yawned and rubbed his lizard green eyes. "Morning Lulu." He smiled at the human, clearly having grown used to having a human at the breakfast table. He looked around in a confused way and frowned. "Where's Princess Luna?" he asked carefully. "Is she still asleep?"

Twilight said, "No Spike, she's gone out for a walk. Said she needs to make sure..." She fumbled for words until Lulu came to her rescue.

"She said Celestia quickly needed her back at the palace for something. She'll be back soon, don't worry." She gave an encouraging smile to the library assistant. "I almost believe that," she thought to herself and felt the sadness creeping up on her.

"Oh." Spike shrugged. "Alright. Did you have a good sleep?" he asked politely.

"Oh yeah," Lulu replied. "Want some soldiers?"

"Sure. What are soldiers?"

Thus began the explanation of toast soldiers from a human to a dragon, possibly one of the strangest conversations (and sentences) known to mankind, equinekind, and dragonkind.

Twilight flexed her wings and noticed they needed preening. "Sorry guys, I have to go to Fluttershy's now," she said, embarrassedly, "I still haven't really got the flexibility to clean these myself." She giggled. "Spike can you watch the library while I'm gone?"

He nodded, mouth full of toast and egg. "Mmmhmm."

"Good. Lulu would you like to come with me?" She offered.

Lulu, a bit surprised by this, nodded enthusiastically. "Oh yeah! That'd be great Twi." She smiled, her first genuine smile fr hours. "I'd like that."

The princess smiled back. "I thought you would." She stood up and opened the door, waited for Lulu to finish her drink. Three quick gulps later, the human was ready. "Let's go then. See you later Spike," she said as she trotted away.

"See you soon Spike," Lulu called as she followed her friend.

"Mmhmm!" Spike mumbled after them, waving as he did so, quickly stealing the unguarded leftover toast soldiers.

"Such is life in the pony world," Lulu thought to herself as they set off towards the Everfree Forest.

Author's Note:

To clarify.

One: I will keep updating this. Probably not immediately but I don't know when cos of life and such and whenever I get a new idea for a chapter (I've dug myself into a hole and don't particularly want to do another retcon, but if push comes to shove then we'll see). Thank you erryone who stayed and the positiveness of all the comments and supports of the peoples. Vive la peoples!

Two: Equestria Girls never happened in this universe, else a lot wouldn't make much sense in this story.

Three: I know this was a more serious chapter and more Harmful Shenanigans than Harmless, but I feel it's necessary to get out of this hole. More funny stuff on the way. Probably.

Four: Finished around 4am. Because you're worth it.

Five: Oh, no updates this week, I'm on holiday with the beautiful, amazing girl of my dreams.

Any more questions, post in comments. See you soon.

~Bigwig.