• Published 27th Sep 2016
  • 658 Views, 2 Comments

The Legacy of Twilight - Ashura-Origans



100 years after the passing of her friends, and more recently Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle the Princess of Friendship has all but given up on Friendship, not wanting to feel the pain of losing someone close to her again.

  • ...
 2
 658

Prologue

“But mum why do we have to leave?” A little green colt asked a light pink unicorn mare who was busy loading bags and suitcases onto a cart.

“Because dear, your father got an important job in the Crystal Kingdom so we have to move there.” The mare explained to the colt.

“B-but I haven't gotten to see the princess of friendship yet!” The colt whined as a tear started to travel down his face.

The mare sighed and turned to her son and sat down. “Look, sweetie, it's unlikely you'll see her even if you stayed here your whole life.”

​“You can't know that!” The colt argued.

“Son, she hasn't been seen out of her castle in around ninety years.” The mare explained. “So when I say you won't see her, you won't-” Suddenly a purple blur shoots through the streets and slowly lifts into the sky. “-or I could be wrong...”

“Was that?!” The colt gasped then started jumping into the air in delight. “I told you! I told you!”

--Canterlot Castle--

Twilight forced the doors to the castle open and pulled one of the guards over with her magic. “WHERE IS SHE?!” Twilight demanded.

“Wh-who Princess Twi-Twilight?” The Royal guard stuttered.

“Who else?! Celestia you dunce!” Twilight cried furiously causing the rest of the guard to bolt out of the room.

“Sh-she's in her room.” The guard explained. Before he could say more Twilight charged a teleportation spell, leaving the guard in shock.

“Princess!” Twilight cried as she appeared in the room.

“Twilight!” A pink alicorn cried in surprise.

“Twilight Sparkle.” A dark blue Alicorn said as more of a greeting as if she expected her.

“Luna, Cadence! How is she? Has her condition worse-?” Twilight's questions were cut off when Princess Luna covered her mouth with a hoof.

“Shhh. Keep your voice down Twilight.” Luna hushed her. “Let us speak outside.” After the three of them exited the room Luna pinched her nose and sighed. “There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to go out and say it.” She paused. “Celestia is dying Twilight.”

“Aunt Luna!” Cadence cried in disbelief.

“She'll find out one way or the other dear niece!”

“How?”

“I beg your pardon?” Luna asked.

“How can this be happening?” Twilight asked. “She's an alicorn! She can't-”

“Twilight Sparkle,” Luna interjected. “Contrary to popular belief, we alicorns are not immortal. We live, we die. Just like all ponies, just much slower.”

“B-but Princess Luna! You don't look a day older than when I first met you, aren't you and Celestia only a few years apart?” Twilight questioned.

Luna sighed and nodded. “It is true. My sister is dying of old age and only a few years older then I, and yet she looks much older then she should.”

“What? You mean She's aging faster than normal?” Twilight asked.

Luna nodded. “Over the past couple of years, we noticed that Celestia started to get wrinkles under her eyes, which shouldn't happen for at least another few hundred years.” She explained. “Not only that but lately she's been showing sign's of her magic started to give way. She even needed my help to lower the sun a couple of times, because she couldn't conjure up the magic to do so on her own.”

“Didn't you ever confront her about this?” Twilight asked.

“Of course I did!” Luna yelled. “But each time I asked she'd just blame it on exhaustion. I didn't believe it for a second, but no matter what, she wouldn't tell me anything.”

“But what is causing her to age so fast?”

Luna and Cadence shared a knowing glance. “We may have an idea,” Cadence said.

“You remember when you read through our Journal back at our old castle in the Everfree Forest all those years ago?” Luna asked.

“H-how did you-” Twilight began.

“From pages 105 to 109 it explains that the unicorn who raised and lower the sun would eventually lose their magic forever,” Luna explained.

“Yes, I remember.” Twilight confirmed. “It also said that Starswirl the Bearded was the only one who had enough magic to do it each day and night.”

Luna nodded. “Correct. We suspect that this may be the cause of my sisters rapid aging.”

“What? How?” Twilight questioned.

“We suspect that my sister may have been using her own life force as magic to raise and lower that sun. Doing such a thing takes years off your life.” Luna explained.

“B-but-”

“Luna-” *Cough* *Cough* A weak voice came from the room. “May I speak to Twilight?”

“Sister-” Luna began.

“Please, Luna?” Celestia asked.

Luna sighed and gestured for Twilight to enter. Twilight slowly walked into room stopping for a second to calm her nerves. “We'll give you two some privacy.” Luna said and closed the door.

Twilight slowly inhaled then exhaled and continued to walk up to the bed. Upon reaching the bedside she could see just how bad it was. Celestia had wrinkles all over, she had bags under her eyes, and had trouble just looking over to her. She slowly opened her eyes and smiled weakly at Twilight. “My faithful student.” She began as she tried to hold out a hoof to her former student. Twilight Grabbed her hoof with both her hooves and tried to smile back at her, but failing as she let a tear fall down her cheek. “Don't be sad for me Twilight. You have brought so much joy into my life when I was alone, you have helped me to live a happy life that I never thought I'd have after my sister was banished. I can't thank you enough for that.”

“Y-your welcome Princess. I'm glad I got the chance to be your student.” Twilight said trying to keep her emotions in.

“Then why do you cry?” Celestia asked.

Twilight sniffled. “Princess, I've already lost everypony. Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Shining Armor, Mom and Dad. Even Spike's not around much any more cause he's off helping Dragon Lord Ember run the newly established Dragon Kingdoms. I can't lose you too!”

Celestia struggled to chuckle. “Twilight you never did lose anypony.” She explained. “As long as you keep them in your heart, they'll always be with you even after they’ve left this world. And I have no doubt you'll do the same for me after my passing.” Celestia finished as she began to cough heavily.

“Princess?!” Twilight cried with worry.

“My time has come Twilight.” Celestia began. “Don't weep for me, my faithful student. I lived a good and fulfilling life watching over and caring for my subjects. But now I leave Equestria in the capable hooves of my sister, my niece, and you. Twilight...”

“Y-yes Princess?”

“Don't give up... on... the magic of... Friendship...” And with that, the light in Celestia's eyes faded and her breathing stopped.

“C-Celestia?” Twilight whimpered. Realizing that her longtime mentor has passed Twilight broke down into tears as she has lost yet another friend. “Celestia!”