• Published 18th Feb 2016
  • 3,203 Views, 211 Comments

For Want of a Vampire - David Silver



Richard Von Dracula is a very proud vampire, from a very proud lineage. Well, he was, until his blood seemed to sour. All he produces these days are bats. Not even normal bats. Bat ponies! They're not even VAMPIRE bat ponies! He's forced to make do.

  • ...
12
 211
 3,203

7 - In Eternal Fog

Orange felt the urge to fly and looked to each of his wings. With each glance, the proper wing unfolded out wide. With everything in order, he gave a firm nod and his new wings came down in a powerful motion that brought him several inches from the ground, just in time for a second to catch the air and bring him yet higher. He made a lazy upwards spiral, admiring the play of alien muscles.

He never had wings before, of course not. Humans don't typically come equipped with those, but he wasn't a human anymore, was he? He decided he wanted to be on top of the castle, on the tallest little peak, and his loyal wings brought him there without any words. He was certain he wasn't telling them when to flap or how to hold themselves, but they bore him faithfully until his unsteady hooves came down and he settled down on the peak of the roof, having a commanding view of the entire castle.

The castle was imposing, solid, and very gothic in appearance. It was built to be strong and intimidating, and it did both well, so far as Orange could see. He tilted his head a little as his eyes swept past the inside towards the land beyond, which was becoming increasingly hard to make out. The fog that rolled out from the castle was drawing back and gaining in altitude. He couldn't even see his home town anymore.

He considered flying out to get a better look, but his wings didn't lift him. He squirmed and frowned back at them. "Come on, we've been getting along so well."

His left wing softly tapped him on the head before stretching out, pointing into the fog as it grew thicker and thicker. He peered into the fog as it grew taller and more impenetrable. "Is it dangerous?" Both wings flapped, but didn't lift him. It was a sort of nod, or so he decided. "Alright, um, thank you." They made a little twitch and he got the impression they liked being thanked.

He reared up, gazing down at the castle. He was feeling... tired. Day would be coming soon. Bats slept during the day, just like vampires, right? Who's to say vamponies don't need some good sleep too? He wriggled a little and his wings spread for him, bearing him down even as the fog swept in, consuming the perch he had been using. Soon he arrived at one of the castle's many balconies and he landed almost perfectly. He strode inside with a proud expression. He was new at being a bat, or a pony, but he was adapting to it well. "I bet some other people would be all to pieces about it." He stopped, tapping his chin. "Maybe it's the vampire thing..."

He found the other three vamponies busily working around the kitchen. He raised a brow at the three. It smelled thick of vegetables, fruit, and a plethora of spices. "What are you all doing in here?"

Lilly looked up sharply. "Orange! Good to see you." She trotted towards Orange with a wide smile. "We're making dinner!"

Sunrise nodded his head. "I have prepared the appetizer."

Sunset proudly puffed her chest. "I made the dessert."

Lilly bobbed her head. "They've been super helpful. Why do you look like that?"

Orange put a hoof behind his head, looking nervous. "Oh, um, this is very nice, but Richard went to sleep and I don't think he wants to be bothered."

Lilly sat on her haunches. "That's alright. We need to eat too, and he already had blood, ick. I'll save him a plate though, promise." She turned away from Orange and went to tend a large bubbling pot with a spoon held in a carefully-folded wing. "Are you hungry?"

Orange remembered the pear he had gobbled down, but the thought of whatever they were cooking teased at his nose enticingly. His previous fatigue relented at the temptation. "I could be convinced..."

Sunrise took a wooden spoon in his mouth, quickly dabbed a little sauce and held it towards Orange. Orange flushed a little, but opened his snout, accepting the offered taste. "Mmmm..." It was thick, chunky, and delightful. But there was something in it... "Wait, what did you put in this?"

Lilly tilted her head. "Nothing that special."

Orange frowned at her a little. "There are certain things vampires don't like being around. Do you know what they are?"

Lilly shook her head slowly. "Oh no! Does Richard have an allergy?"

Orange tilted his head back at her. "He's a vampire! I wasn't even an expert on vampires and even I know you don't give a vampire garlic if you want to make friends."

Sunset suddenly shrank back, looking massively guilty with hanging ears and darting eyes.

Orange put a hoof over his face. "Let me guess, extra garlic?"

Sunrise nodded quickly. "It tastes good to us, master." He approached on cautious hooves. "You don't like it, master?"

Orange's wings flared outwards. "It's not about me!"

Sunset blinked softly. "Who else would it be about, master? You're our master."

Orange shook his head as he fixed his gaze on Lilly. "How do you not know this? I thought you were Richard's servant for a long time."

Lilly shrunk in shame. "I thought... Garlic's good for you, and he never said not to. I thought he was just being immature about it."

Orange paled at the thought. "How long have you been feeding this to him!? No wonder he's so sour all the time." Of course, he was also a creature from hell, but who wouldn't be grouchy being fed something they're allergic to constantly? "No more. Not a single bit more."

Lilly lowered her head. "Of course, Orange."

"Yes, Master," the two newest vamponies spoke in unison.

Orange realized they were all deferring to him. With a sudden tremble, it dawned on him. He had become master of Richard's vamponies. "It's up to me..."

"What is?" Lilly tilted her head.

Orange waved her off. "Go ahead and finish dinner, and make something refined, without garlic, for the Master. After that, clean up." He clopped a hoof on the ground. "He'll wake up to a good surprise for a change." He may be ripped apart for his boldness, or not. Not if he used his control to make the master's life easier. "It's up to me..."

Author's Note:

Orange has plans! He hopes. He mostly has horrible ends he's trying to avoid.

Why isn't being a vampony easy? The wings are pretty fun!